Like a Withered Rose { Dongwoon x Hae Mi }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: B2ST's VIRUS { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHPd1uUoww }


 

The bell rang, signaling the long-awaited break time of the students. Some hurriedly scampered away with their things left behind while some chose to stay inside the classroom to chatter and the others continued doing their own thing -- eating, studying, listening to music. Dongwoon got up from his seat and packed his things, about to leave the room when suddenly, someone called his attention. When he turned around, he saw a group of girls seated near the window.

"Hi Woon~ Are you going to the cafeteria right now?" The prettiest of them and the only blonde-haired girl asked him.

"Annyeong Hae Mi." He smiled at her. "Yes, I am going there. Do you need anything?"

It has always been like that. Whenever Hae Mi would needs something, Dongwoon is almost always there to provide it for her. No one asked him to do this but he is willingly doing this because he likes her.. he loves her. And even though she does not feel the same way, he still tries his best to win her attention and affection because he believes it will somehow happen someday.

"Ne, I actually want to get my lunch but I am not sure if I will be able to get through the long line in the cafeteria. Could you please buy for me instead?" She showed her sweetest smile that Dongwoon can not resist.

"Of course.. gladly." Dongwoon smiled back then asked for what food Hae Mi wants when suddenly, the rest of her friends asked if he can do a favor for the as well and he just agreed.

"Hae Mi-ah, why are you doing this?" One girl who is not part of her group of friends asked when she saw them doing the same thing to him.

Hae Mi innocently blinked at her, batting her long eyelashes. "What am I doing?" Then she looked to Dongwoon's direction and pointed to him. "You mean asking a favor from him? He is willingly doing that though. And I am thankful.. Do you have any problem with that?" The other girl shook her head and walked away.

Moments later, Dongwoon came back bringing a lot of food with him. Some for him, the rest for Hae Mi and the girls. Hae Mi simply smiled and thanked him then took the food from him. After that, she did not talk to him again for the rest of the day.

The next class came but only half of the entire population attended.. probably because they do not like the subject. Even the others who were in class  are busy doing other things -- playing games on phone, chatting through paper messages, sleeping, etc. Dongwoon himself was not paying attention but was just staring at Hae Mi who was attentively listening to the lecture. Noticing him, the same girl from earlier who kind of confronted Hae Mi elbowed him. "Are you alright?" She asked concerned but then she looked at where Dongwoon was looking and realized. "So you are staring at her again." She whispered so she will not be heard by others.

"Ya, Jimin! They might hear you." Dongwoon looked around then back at Jimin and saw her laughing. "How will they hear me if I whispered it to you? Silly.." She defended. Suddenly, the teacher heard their noise and called on Dongwoon to stand up and answer her question. Lucky for him, he was able to answer correctly. He knew all eyes were on him that moment but he felt more pressured knowing that Hae Mi was looking at him too. Sitting back down, he cleared his throat and tried not feel uneasy. Hae Mi just smiled to herself and turned her attention back to the teacher.

After the class ended and they were dismissed, the students rushed out to the campus gates, ready to go home. Dongwoon was there by the classroom door, waiting on Hae Mi. Moments later, he saw her make her way out but she was kind of struggling with bringing her things in both arms so Dongwoon offered to help. "Let me help you." He took some books and folders from her. "Thank you." Hae Mi smiled and tucked some strands of hair behind her right ear. He walked Hae Mi to the school gates and tired to open a conversation on their way. After making sure Hae Mi has safely ridden her car, that is the only time Dongwoon went home.

 

-oOo-

 

"Halmeoni, I am back!" Dongwoon shouted from the front door as he arrived the house.

"Omona.. Woonie, you did not have to shout." Said his grandmother who was at the garden, watering the plants.

"It is because you are quite far so I shouted to make sure you will hear. What are you doing?" He asked as he made his way to the garden as well.

"Watering the plants.."

Just then, Dongwoon noticed that some plants and flowers by the window pane have somehow withered. He took one rose and showed it to his grandmother. "Halmeoni, you failed to give attention to this." He raised the withered stem.

His grandmother gasped in surprise. "Aigoo.. poor flower." Then she touched the petals and sighed. "You know what? This is what happens when we fail to take care of it. When it does not receive attention, it withers.. it dies.." She went back to watering the rest of the plants.

"Really? Just like my feelings for her then.. ignored.." He whispered to himself and sighed.

"Were you saying something, dear?"

"Just.. just about someone who I like.. I think she does not notice it one bit. I guess it is just like that forsaken flower." He replied with head down.

"Judging from your expression right now, you must really like her then. Try talking to her.. try opening up." His grandmother patted his shoulder before walking back inside the house. Dongwoon was left there in the garden, looking around at the plants and flowers.. some of those about to bloom, some have just been planted, while others about to wither as well.

 

-oOo-

 

Early the next morning, Jimin came to class early and she saw Dongwoon was already there. She slowly approached him, clearing . "Such a punctual suitor.. already guarding your girl's seat?" She grinned.

"Ya, what suitor? I am not courting her." He defended right away.

"Really? Then why do you not try?"

"Molla.. Scared? I really do not know. Besides, admiring her like this is already fine with me."

"So.. you will no longer tell her about how you feel? I mean, it might be obvious to everyone but it will still be different if you personally tell her." Jimin stated as she took a piece of cookie from her bag and ate it.

"We will see about that then.. maybe when I get enough courage."

The classroom was easily filled in a span of 30 minutes since the students came in groups and soon the class started. It was the same routine as always. If the students feel too tired to listen or if they find the subject boring enough, they tend to do things which are entirely unrelated to the class. Later there was a recitation and the teacher looked for volunteers and Hae Mi was one of those. Dongwoon just stared in awe at her when she had answered almost all of the questions given to her. Even after she has gone back to her seat, his eyes never left  her.

"Ya, he is looking -- no, staring at you again." Hae Mi's seat mate told her when she noticed.

"He always does anyway, what is new?" Hae Mi replied with a smile.

"You know how he feels for you, right? Do you feel the same way?"

"I actually do not know." Hae Mi answered her friend after taking a glance at Dongwoon, making their eyes meet for a second.

"If you talk to him then maybe you will realize if you do or not.."

During break time, Dongwoon approached Hae Mi who was by the door of their classroom. He has thought of what his grandmother told him the previous day and he realized she was right. It was a good timing that Hae Mi was alone because he would be able to talk to her privately.

"Hae Mi-ah, can we talk?" He whispered, enough that only Hae Mi could hear.

Hae Mi turned to him and smiled. "Yes, sure. About what?"

"Was.. was there ever a time you took notice of my feelings for you? Or were you just pretending not to see?"

"I.. I know how you feel." She avoided looking at him. "Look, it is not that I do not like you.. I do not hate you either.. I just do not know how I feel."

"Then if I continue doing that things I have done for you.. will there be chance to see me more than just a friend?"

She looked at him for a little while, "I am sorry.. I really do not know." then looked away again and quickly gathered her things from her seat. "I shall see you later in the next class." She tapped his shoulder before walking away, leaving him there standing.

Just then, some flowers that were around their school garden suddenly died, as if sympathizing with him at the moment.