The Falling Pieces of My Heart [ Jimin x Miyeon ]

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: BTS's Dead Leaves [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-DdQUszwoc ]


 

It was in middle of the Autumn Season. The school grounds have been empty and quiet but soon enough, students start to fill it as classes from different departments were dismissed. Everyone else around seemed pretty occupied except for one guy who was just standing under a tree while looking up at it, his hands inside the pockets of his hoodie. As he heaved one deep sigh, he pulled his right hand out from his pocket to pull his hood back, revealing his blonde hair then he fished his phone out from his jeans to check on the time. He had never thought that it was actually a bad idea because as soon as he saw his wallpaper, a crease on his forehead once again formed and his shoulders slumped.

 

Then his fingers instinctively touched the screen, slowly caressing it as if he could really feel the girl's cheek on his wallpaper. Heaving yet another sigh and without much thought and realization, he pressed her number from the speed dial then pressed the phone onto his ear. Few rings later, someone on the other line answered the call.

 

"H-hello...," the female voice on the other line sounded hesitant and stuttering, probably after seeing who the caller was. "Miyeon-ah...," the guy started but was cut off. "Ne? What do you want, oppa?" the girl asked him. "I just... want to know how you are. It's has been a long time. Can we meet up and talk? You know... about 'us'" There was a few seconds of silence before the girl sighed and said, "There is nothing more to talk about."

 

"Please..." the guy's voice became faint with a hint of pleading in it. Miyeon finally agreed although she was a bit hesitant at first but this gave him at least a little hope that they can be back to how they normally were. Clenching his left fist, he slid the phone back into his pocket right after they talked then he felt something cold brush against his fingers. He immediately recognized what it was and took it out... it is the necklace that he gave to Miyeon on her recent birthday but the latter returned it to him for a reason he is not even clear of himself. Letting out another sigh, he clutched the necklace and looked up at the tree, seeing its half- form as only few leaves are left hanging on the branches. Sudden flashes of past memories appeared in his mind the longer he stared at the view in front of him.

 

Flashback:

 

"Jimin-ah!" the young girl half-yelled and half-whined as she tried to catch her boyfriend's attention from a distance. She was sitting under a big persimmon tree with her back leaned against it and with a book on her lap. "Hurry up! We have no more time left. We need to finish reviewing these materials before fhe school bell rings." This time, she already had a frown on her face as she was waving her hands in the air.

 

The moment he heard her call his name, Jimin looked at Miyeon from across the field with a wide smile on his face then he chuckled at how she kind of nagged at him about studying. He was on the soccer field, spending a few time alone but he was probably waiting for his friends to arrive so they can play a game. However, Winter Season already came and it started to snow a little so Miyeon could not understand why someone would want to play under the cold of the snow.

 

With one toss of the ball using his right foot, Jimin caught the ball in the air with his hands then slowly walked in long strides towards where Miyeon was, trying to stifle his chuckles then he settled down beside her, placing the ball away. "Ya, what's with that frown?" He lightly poked her forehead before kissing the tip of her nose, to which she reacted with a scrunch on her face. "And did I not ask you to call me oppa?" This time he was grinning.

 

"I don't want to!" Miyeon stuck her tongue out and crossed her arms across her chest. "We are the same age, alright? Anyway, please do not divert the topic here, Mr. ace-the-class-as-well-as-sports... let us go review this now." She gathered all the study materials with a little pout on her lips and he could not help how adorable she looked like at the moment so he leaned in and sneaked a peck on her lips.

 

The two of them continued their study and they did not realize that more snow started to fall to the ground but it was a good thing that they are shaded by the big tree with thick leaves. As Miyeon diligently focused on the book on her lap and read the words aloud, Jimin was also diligently just staring at her the whole time. She noticed it too from the corner of her right eye but tried not to get distracted.

 

"What did I even do to deserve you? I feel really lucky to have you," Jimin's thoughts continued running in his mind until he let out a soft sigh, making Miyeon look over to him with a worried expression. "Waeyo?" she asked in a whisper but he just chuckled and waved it off, saying he is just probably feeling a little tired. They resumed studying, or more like, Miyeon resumed studying while Jimin resumed staring at her for a few more good minutes before the school bell rang, signaling that their break is over. Both stood up and gathered their things but Jimin was reluctant to move and he was acting as if he wanted to say something to her but decided not to. He eventually ushered her back to her classroom before heading towards his. The next few hours seemed like an eternity of wait but as soon as classes were over, their spent their time together again.

 

- end of flashback -

 

A pained expression was evident on Jimin's face as he slowly walked past the big persimmon tree that held a lot of memories for him and Miyeon. He still had the bracelet tightly clutched in his hand as he walked going towards the hallway where the classrooms are. The path is not that long but it seemed like it took him hours as his mind was still occupied with more thoughts.

 

Flashback:

 

It was Miyeon's special day and Jimin was excited to surprise her with what he had in mind. He was in the soccer field at that hour to play with two of his friends, Taeil and Jeongmin, when he suddenly asked them for a break and walked farther away from them before fishing his phone out from his jeans to make a phone call to her. Without trying to sound suspicious, he asked her to meet up and told her that he will wait under the same tree that practically witnessed their love story. At first, Miyeon was hesitant because she was asked by her family to stay at home since they wanted to give her a birthday bash. It was fortunate that it was a weekend so no classes were held. After a few minutes of hesitation, Miyeon agreed to Jimin's request even without knowing why. Feeling relieved, he rushed to prepare his little surprise for the birthday girl after they ended the call.

 

It did not take long for Miyeon to arrive at the school gates. The guard allowed her to get inside since some of the students have been practicing for certain stuff even though they were no classes. She went straight to the persimmon tree where she and Jimin would usually meet but did not find him anywhere near there when she arrived. An instant crease formed on her forehead and she emitted a soft sigh before mumbling, "Mwoya? You asked to meet up but you do not show up." She shrugged and was just about to turn around to leave when she was suddenly stopped in place as a hand reached over in front of her to cover her eyes, making her lightly gasp in surprise.

 

Then the person behind her spoke in a whisper, "I will give you five seconds to guess who I am. If you do, you get a prize," to which Miyeon chuckled because it was not difficult to tell from the person's voice that it was her boyfriend. Even just the vibe already felt like him. "Ya, Jimin, I know it's you. Well who else could it be?" Her tone was playful and she had a wide smile plastered on her lips. Jimin uncovered her eyes and hopped in front of her, holding cake in one of his hands. "Saengil chukhahae, nae saranghaneun yeochin." He leaned closer to give her lips a peck then held the cake up closer to her face as he mirrored her smile and whispered, "Make a wish..." Miyeon's smile grew even wider as the images of Jimin and the cake came into her vision then she had managed to mumble a 'thank you' the moment he pressed his lips to hers. But that smile started to slowly fade away as he asked her to make a wish. Staring for a few moments at the beautiful cake in front of her, she let out a soft sigh as she mentally uttered, 'I hope I will have the courage to tell you soon' then she blew that one candle on the center of the cake while stealing glances at Jimin.

 

After that, they just stayed sheltered under the tree. They ate half of the cake then just cuddled and snuggled as they talked about random things, laughing as they recalled their past memories, and talked about their future hopes as well. For the meantime, Miyeon had forgotten about the thing she had been worried about a little earlier. It was one comfortable day in the season of Spring and the weather warmed their hearts as they contentedly rested close beside each other.

 

Suddenly, Jimin removed his arm that was around Miyeon's waist and slightly pulled his body away from hers, making the latter a little confused but she watched him with curiosity as he reached inside his jeans's pocket to take something out. A silver chain which had a pendant of a hollow heart with a smaller hollow star inside dropped in front of her eyes, which made her smile again.

 

"I almost forgot about this but this is one of the highlights, this is my present to you so..." he chuckled as he unclasped the necklace's lock then leaned over to hook it around her neck, explaining the meaning behind the pendant he chose. Miyeon, on the other hand, gathered her hair together on one side of her neck and clutched it in her hand so it does not get in the way.

 

"The little, beautiful star is you who needs to be protected and loved... and so the big heart represents me and my love."

 

He moved just slightly back after clasping the necklace around her neck to take a good close look at her face, staring at her features before closing the gap between their faces then briefly placed his lips on hers. As he pulled away, he her left cheek with his right thumb and whispered an 'I love you' but Miyeon only returned his gestures with a small smile. The two spent the rest of the day together until the sun set. And when it was about time for the school to close, they gathered all their things together and he offered to walk her home.

 

The entire walk was quiet and neither wanted to speak first or probably just did not know how to break the silence. Miyeon was just fumbling with the pendant on her neck while occasionally taking glances at Jimin along the way. It's as if she really wants to say something but was holding it back. Few more minutes and they finally reached Miyeon's house. They bid each other farewell and promised to meet again the next day. As Jimin was about to turn and walk back the other way, she suddenly moved forward and tightly wrapped her arms around him in an embrace, her cheek rested on his right shoulder. It's as if there is a mixed feeling of reluctance of letting him go that time and something else... a heavy feeling inside her. At some point, she knew what it was but did not want to acknowledge it. He returned the embrace and kissed the top of her head before he suddenly let go of the hug and told her to head inside since her parents might be looking for her already. Miyeon, however, stayed there standing in front of her doorstep and watched Jimin completely disappear from her sight before stepping inside the house, slowly closing the door behind her.

 

- end of flashback -

 

The corridors have started to get less crowded as some students resumed classes while others went home after finishing their load. Jimin walked into his classroom and mindlessly grabbed his bag from the seat before heading out again. A loud sigh escaped his lips the moment he reached the soccer field, seeing fallen and dried leaves scattered on the ground, making him kick some out of his way. Suddenly, he heard someone call his name and he saw Taeil from a short distance when he looked over to his left. His friend then invited him to have a quick game but he refused, given that his mood is not at its peak.

 

Just then, his phone buzzed of a message he did not quite expect but was hopeful to see. "Let's meet at the soccer field tomorrow evening, after my night class ends... I think I am ready to tell you all my thoughts now." The message made him hopeful that finally, he will be able to get answers now as well as settle what seems to be hanging or odd. Lately, Miyeon had been acting strange and he could not point out why although there is one reason he could think of but he refuses to take it in, hoping he is wrong. Tucking his hand into his pocket, he took long strides towards the school's main entrance, crushing the crunching dried leaves under his heavy shoes as he walked, with his heart feeling just as heavy

 

That night, just before he went to sleep, he went over his phone again as he sat on the far end of his bed and just stared at Miyeon's recent message, his eyes scanning the words again and again. Part of him felt relieved that she agreed to talk things out with him but he was still worried about the unknown part.

 

Deciding it was best to take a rest to be mentally and emotionally prepared for tomorrow, he locked his phone and dropped it to his right side before falling back on the bed with spread arms and closed eyes and waited until sleepiness comes to take over him.

 

At first he could not get some sleep but soon enough, he fell into a deep slumber. It started as a comfortable feeling but then he suddenly became uneasy as a crease on his forehead formed and he slightly curled up to his left side as if trying to avoid something he did not want.

 

The same dream that has been haunting him for the past weeks kept haunting him over and over and this time was no different. Bits and pieces of the past keep coming to him in the form of that dream, as if telling him to find closure or settle it.

 

'It was the first few days of the Summer season and some of their friends decided on a beach outing to unwind. Everyone else was excited except for Miyeon and Jimin could tell from her eyes and from the way she acts around them, especially around him. Since weeks ago after her birthday, she unreasonably and unexplainably started being cold and as if she wanted to distance herself from him, a behavior which he never expected but decided to shrug off since he thought that maybe she is just feeling tired and occupied with some things. But as days progressed, her behavior seemed to not have changed. And so they are in this beach outing after further discussions within their group of friends. They rented cottages and decorated the place as they prepared food and everything else. Just when everybody was busying themselves, Miyeon opted to stay at a corner while hugging her knees in a sitting position as she watched Jimin from across her, who was busy talking with Taeil and Jeongmin. But later on as soon as the two guys were gone, she finally decided to slowly approach her boyfriend.

 

"Jimin-ah..." she began in a whisper, although feeling a bit hesitant. The blonde-haired guy in front of her looked up from his phone and greeted her with a smile. "Miyeon-ah! Do you want to go swim? Or are you perhaps hungry? There's still food here if-" Jimin stood up and was about to grab something from the table when she cut him off. "I just want to return something to you..." Hearing those words made him confused but at the same time he was curious so he let Miyeon continue what she wanted to do or say.

 

Miyeon stretched her arm a little forward and opened her right hand, revealing the necklace that he gave to her on her birthday. Then gulping once, she declared, "I think I will not be needing this anymore so just take it back," and then she held Jimin's left hand and transferred the necklace to it. Still unable to process what just happened, he only blinked at her before his senses finally took over him again. A voice within him was trying to get through telling him to believe that his suspicions were true, that Miyeon wants them to come to and end. However, a greater part of him is still holding on, saying that there must be a greater explanation to everything that is going on.

 

"W-what does this mean?" He asked in a stutter as he held the necklace tightly in his fist, putting his hand down. "You are not... asking to break up, right?" He had the last part of the question in a whisper, feeling his heart already breaking just at the thought of it. But Miyeon only looked at him for a few seconds before simply responding, "What does it look like? Whatever you want to think then I will let you think of it as that way. I, myself, do not even know. I am not sure but I just... I want to return that necklace to you because... I feel burdened." This time she was looking at the ground, not having the courage to look at him straight in the eyes because she was surely feeling guilty of everything but was relieved to finally say those thoughts which she had been keeping for quite some time.

 

"I just have one thing to ask you..." Jimin braved himself although he was already nervous and scared of whatever Miyeon might respond. Tightly clenching his other fist behind him, he carefully asked, "Do you still love me?" There was a few moments of silence and just as she was about to respond, someone called out Jimin's name, making him turn around for a moment but when he turned to the front again, Miyeon was no longer anywhere to be found. Panic slowly built inside him and he frantically searched around for her, afraid that everything for the past ten months will just suddenly crumble and fall into nothingness. But what puzzled him even more was that the people around him slowly disappeared one by one and he was left all alone on the same spot he was standing at. "Miyeon? Miyeon-ah, don't leave me!" He turned around, looking at every possible spot his eyes could reach as he searched for Miyeon and his friends but no one else seemed to be there other than him.'

 

"Miyeon-ah... Miyeon, don't leave me..." he continued to mumble until a loud ringing sound interrupted his thoughts then he groaned before slowly opening his eyes, his forehead still creased. Then it dawned on him that everything was just a dream. Although it actually happened, the end part where everyone else disappeared didn't. Perhaps it became like that since the reality itself was a bit hanging.

 

Jimin groaned and outstretched his arm to feel around for his phone, successfully finding it right away then he held his up to check for the time, his eyes squinted due to the light. '6:30 AM'. As much he wanted to sleep more, he knew that he had to prepare for the day. They have a game practice in the morning until the afternoon so he will be busy and this gave him the thought that perhaps he will not be able to think much about Miyeon due to a little fun and distraction. Reluctantly, he slowly sat up on the bed but buried his face in his palms, his elbows propped on his knees.

 

"That dream again... when will that memory stop haunting me??" he mumbled and sighed as he lightly ruffled his blonde hair. Ever since that incident, they did not get to properly talk again. And since it was holiday and vacation at the same time, Miyeon rarely got time to be around because of family and friends trips overseas. But there were times she would avoid Jimin on purpose because she does not know the answers to the questions and puzzles about everything relating to the two of them. But it was such a relief for Jimin that Miyeon finally agreed to meet and talk and maybe settle whatever it is that needs settlement. After some more minutes of reflecting, he finally got up from being seated and prepared for his long day ahead.

 

The soccer field was already filled with students practicing as well as loud voices and cheers that could be heard from all over due to the crowd who decided to watch the dummy game. "Omo, who is the star player of this team?" One of the female students asked. "I heard it's Kim Taeil," one of the guys in their group said. "Aniya~ isn't it Park Jimin?" another girl who seemed to be the 'leader' of their small gang talked in a little loud voice and they started to argue among themselves about it.

 

Just then, Jimin arrived at the field, trying to hurry as fast as he could because he knew very well that he was already running late but the coach was faster than him and welcomed him with a good scolding. He did not want the nagging session to drag on longer since his mood was already a bit off so he just simply nodded to every word the coach said then apologized for his mistake before he readied himself and joined the rest.

 

Throughout the entire practice, his mistakes and distractions were evident. He would usually be able to score goals with ease or block the opponents' attempt to snatch the ball but that time was different. He kept missing the ball and sometimes, he even gets hit by it. This made the other players especially the coach quite annoyed of the situation so they decided to call for a break. As soon as the whistle blew, Jimin dropped to the ground, leaning his back against the goal post while hugging his knees close to his chest. Moments later, Taeil and Jeongmin rushed over to his side to check on him.

 

"Ya, gwaenchana? You seem off today." Taeil asked as he touched Jimin's forehead to see if he has a fever but the latter gently brought his friend's wrist back down, saying that he is alright. But at the same time, Jeongmin spoke and insisted that there must be something wrong the whole time because they could see it well. "Did something bad happen? Your grades are fine though so that should not be the issue. Is it home? Did your parents call?" He bombarded Jimin with few questions as he settled down in front of the older guy.

 

Heaving a sigh and finally giving in, Jimin told both of his friends what happened the previous day. "I talked to Miyeon yesterday..."

 

"Jinjja? After quite some time whoa... and then..?" Taeil slightly tilted his head to the right as he asked, feeling more curious.

 

"She agreed to meet up later.. to talk things between us. I hope I could get clearer answers." Jimin sighed again and leaned his chin on top of his knees. Jeongmin just patted his back before telling him to continue being hopeful since there is still a little bit of chance that they would make up. Hearing the comforting words from his friends made Jimin feel lighter and he became more determined to meet Miyeon for clarifications, come what may. As the whistle blew once again to signal the end of their short break, the game resumed and the guys were back in it. He still made minimal mistakes from time to time but it was lesser compared to when they started. He just wanted the day to end soon. He just wanted to meet Miyeon because he misses her a lot and because he wants to know the answers to all his questions.

 

After three more hours into the intense game without break, the coach finally decided to call it a day and he gave some quick reminders to the team before dismissing them. The players were relieved that they are finally able to rest and they slowly disappeared one by one. Jimin saw his friends walking away so he jogged to catch up to them, throwing his arms on their shoulders as squeezed himself in between the guys.

 

"Any plans for today?" he casually asked them as the three of them are now heading farther away from the field.

 

"Hmm well we are going eat lots of meat since the practice made me really hungry." Jeongmin said while rubbing his own stomach. "Aigoo what's with our coach today? He seemed stricter. Is it because of you?" He joked then looked at Jimin for reaction while snickering. "Mian, I'm kidding!"

 

"Ya," Jimin slapped the younger's arm and playfully glared, "quit playing around... well anyway, can I join you guys since-"

 

"Don't you have classes for the next few hours?" Taeil cut his statement midway with his own question, making Jimin chuckle as his initial response then he told them that he want to ditch the first class and spend time with them instead for distraction.

 

They stayed in the cafeteria for the next few hours to have their late lunch and just talk about the most random things they can think of like recalling embarrassing moments or spotting funny things from people they see around just to help each other pass time but all throughout their conversation, Jimin could not help but glance at his phone to check on the time but mostly, to check if there is a message coming from Miyeon even though he knows it is highly impossible and she is probably busy at the moment. It does not even help that she is his wallpaper because that would only bring his diverted attention back to her and nervousness and worry might just start to build up again. After finally getting bored of staying there as three hours have passed, he already bid his friends farewell and headed to his next class.

 

His math class was good for only one hour but it seemed like eternity for him. It's not that he found it boring but his focus at the moment isn't the lecture. His mind was obviously somewhere else and he had just been looking outside the window while slumping in his seat and tapping his fingertips on the desk as he waited for the time to pass. Two of his classmates even noticed him and they decided to mess around and distract him by throwing small pieces of crumpled paper but they gave up as soon as they started because he was too deep into his thoughts to notice what is going on. Soon the bell finally rang, signaling the end of torture for the past one hour and the students cheered and sighed in relief, heading their separate ways to do their own stuff. Upon realizing that almost everyone in the classroom has left, Jimin quickly stood up and grabbed his bad before rushing outside to the hallways. He then checked his phone for the time and saw that it was 5:30 in the afternoon... it means few more minutes left and he will able to see Miyeon again after quite some time of not meeting up.

 

He immediately went to the soccer field then sat down on one of the bleachers, across from where their "tree of love" is. He buried his face in his hands as he waited and his thoughts started to wander again.

 

What if Miyeon does not come? What if she sends someone to hand a letter over to him because she could not make it? Or what if she gets into a sudden, unexpected accident? This and a few more things came running in his mind but he avoided one thought at all cost.. and that is to think that Miyeon wants an official breakup. Few more thoughts occupied Jimin's mind for the next couple of minutes until he was interrupted by a shadow slowly casting upon him plus the sound of heels clicking on the dry ground, which made him look up from his hands and to his surprise, he saw Miyeon standing there right in front of him while looking at him with a bitter smile on. "Hey..." she greeted him but the word came out awkwardly.

 

Following his instinct, Jimin immediately stood up and tightly wrapped his arms around her body, pulling her towards him and enclosing her into a warm embrace while nuzzling her hair. After a few good minutes, he slightly moved back and cupped her face to carefully study her facial features as he whispered an 'I miss you' in a rather sad tone.

 

"Where have been all this while? I missed you so much... really really much," he sighed then leaned in to close the gap between the two of them and gently pressed his lips to hers, kissing her in a way that she will feel how much he has longed for her but she soon broke the kiss, still with a bitter smile as she just stayed still for a few moments to look at and study his face before she let out a soft sigh.

 

Miyeon was actually hesitating to give in and let her emotions win. She gathered all the courage remaining in her before finally speaking, "I have been... busy. And I have had a lof of thinking all this time we were apart."

 

She was still going say something else when Jimin interrupted her. "Do you want to talk this out over drinks or something?" He offered, trying to show a smile that is free of sadness but Miyeon merely turned it down in a nice way before tugging his hand down and asking him to sit there as she sat down on the bleachers as well, facing each other. "It will take time if we still walk going there so I guess we should just get this done right away." She bit her lip and sighed and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he tried to analyze the situation. "I have not showed up all this time because I was trying to avoid you... I wanted to avoid you but I think I am now ready to face you and tell you my thoughts." Miyeon finished as she looked at him, trying to search his eyes for any reaction but he only held her hand tightly, lacing their fingers together.

 

"What is it that you want to tell me? To be honest, I don't think I am ready to hear anything ever since the day that you gave the necklace back to me...." he trailed off and there was a bit of silence before he continued, "...I am scared to know the reason why but I think I am ready to hear whatever it is that you want to say now for clarification. Because I have been having the same dream over and over again and it haunts me. Maybe we really need to settle this for once." He ended his statement with a light squeeze on Miyeon's hand, making her look down at their hands.

 

"You are right. We should settle this...," Miyeon paused for a moment as her gaze shifted from their joined hands to Jimin's eyes. "...so let's break up."

 

Hearing those sudden and dreaded words made Jimin freeze for a moment as he tried to process what is currently happening. Were his ears playing tricks on him or did he just hear her say that? Or is he actually asleep right now and is still dreaming? Miyeon on the other hand, air in and took a deep breath, a little pang of guilt washing through her system for saying those words but she felt at least relieved now that she was able to lift it off her chest. "W-what are you saying? Ya it's not even April Fool's right now... please do not joke around like this," he bitterly chuckled before suddenly frowning as he stared at her with the hope that she would take those words back. But she did not.

 

"I wish I was just kidding but I have made up my mind, I'm sorry." She whispered the last sentence as she slowly slipped her hand off his grip and slightly turned her body to the right in order to avoid his gaze but then he held both of her shoulders and made her face him again. There are so many questions in his mind right now, even more than those days when the reason why Miyeon was drifting from him was unknown yet and he just does not know from where or which question he should ask first.

 

"Do you not love me anymore?" His sudden question came out in a soft voice which was almost a whisper but still enough for Miyeon to hear. She could clearly see the hurt expression on his face, especially expressed through his sad eyes at the moment and she could not help but feel pierced as well, knowing that she hurt the person she used to love so dearly.

 

"It's not like that but... is it even really love in the first place? And is it really all that matters? Were were really in love or-"

 

"Of course we were! And we still are... what are you even saying?" Jimin cut her off, looking even more hurt than before. Just as when Miyeon is going to say something in return, her hand phone rang and she hesitantly asked to excuse herself and stood up but as she was about to turn away, Jimin stood up as well and held her wrist back, making her turn to him again. "Don't go. Don't answer the phone for now." He was staring at her phone in her left hand which was still ringing. "Please, let's talk this thoroughly." He looked into her eyes again, pleading.

 

Miyeon tried to pull her hand away but he would not let it go as he listened to her stutter. "C-can't we talk about this s-some other time? I-" Jimin just shook his head as he interrupted her, "Since we are already here then why don't we get to the end of this? I just... want to know why....," he trailed off then sighed while looking down at their hands and then at the ground, with a frown on his face. Eventually, Miyeon's phone stopped ringing as if giving the two of them some serious time to talk about the matter. Finding enough courage and strength, she finally pulled her hand back from his before keeping her phone away.

 

"It's just that...," Miyeon began as she sat on the bleacher again with Jimin standing in front of her, his eyes never leaving her face. "I don't actually know what happened either but seems like everything is falling apart. And... I realized that I want to prioritize and realize my dreams first. Like what's waiting for me in the future, my career after this... well you.. do you not feel the same? I mean do you not have you own dreams to realize too?" She confessed those things without looking at him and just looking down at her hands instead because she is afraid that she will waver once she does.

 

But as soon as he said something in response, her head shot up and she stared at him, seeing him staring back with eyes full of evident hurt which struck her heart with guilt at the very moment. "So I am not part of that dream nor the future... So what was I to you, Miyeon-ah? What am I?" He had his left hand hidden behind him forming into a fist, lightly digging nails into his skin so he could hold his emotions back as he spoke.

 

Then Miyeon stood up and slowly walked towards him, seeing that his eyes never left her face as she continued inching closer until she stopped, giving a good distance between them. "Don't you have dreams to realize too?" She repeated the question. "And don't you think... that maybe we rushed ourselves into this? We are still young and there is more to come for us in the following years... I mean... individually." Those words hurt Jimin even more and he was now frowning and Miyeon could only sigh, feeling half regretful even though she was relieved to have a confrontation right at the moment rather than to keep avoiding the situation all the time.

 

"So you didn't really love me?" He asked her again.

 

"I... don't exactly know. I mean I did... really... but...," she trailed off and this made him even more frustrated than earlier.

 

"So those days spent apart made you like this?" Jimin huffed, feeling the wave of bitterness seep through. "Then had I known, I would have kept you close to me for all this time... but then we were both busy as well and I decided to give you a breather because I do not want to suffocate you too but then...," he looked away from her and his lips before heaving a deep sigh as his eyes wandered to the huge tree which used to witness all of their blissful moments. But then now it is witnessing something painfully sad as well.

 

"It's not the reason.... even before that I started to feel a little different already and it made me confused. I'm... really sorry." Her eyes were apologetic but she knew there is no way to take the hurt he is feeling right now and make it disappear in a blink of an eye. He was still somehow listening to her even though he is not looking but his attention is on her. Then she tried to reach for his right hand to hold it and he allowed it.

 

Turning back to her again, Jimin cautiously asked, "Do you really want this? Are you sure you will not regret after this?" He was frowning, eyes heavily staring at her face to look for possible opposing reaction but he cannot seem to read her expression and it made him disappointed.

 

"It might be the best for now.... at least we can be able to find ourselves and we can be complete." Miyeon bit her lip as she lightly squeezed his hand

 

"Will you let me wait for you then? Until you realize the dreams you talk about. And then maybe you can come back to me after. How about I see you again after you graduate?" Jimin is currently on his third year and is ahead of Miyeon by a year so that would mean two years of wait for him in case he was actually willing to do as he said and if she agrees to it.

 

She lowered her head and looked at the ground, slowly letting go of her grip on his hand then she let out a soft sigh. "But a lot of things can happen in two years. And I do not want you to hold on to something uncertain. Who knows? You might forgot me already after such a long time." Then a light chuckle mixed with bitterness followed. "And...,'' there was something else she wanted to say but her head suddenly shot up and looked towards the direction of her phone when it started ringing again. Feeling a little more annoyed now, Jimin marched to where her phone is and grabbed it, only to see the caller's name flash on the screen - it was Miyeon's mom. But instead of giving it to her, he switched if off then dropped it on top of her bag again before turning to her again. "Your mom called." He simply uttered in a whisper.

 

"About that...,'' she looked up at him again to confess something, "I have not mentioned to you before but my parents actually planned to take me to study overseas."

 

Hearing those caught him in a little surprise but he was quick to react to her. "Ah, so this is basically the root cause why you were avoiding me. You cannot just tell me straight up that you want a breakup because your parents want to take you away, is that it? Or maybe because you do not love me anymore so you asked them to let you study somewhere else instead. Just tell me, Miyeon-ah. Tell me everything else that you have not told me yet." His hand formed into a fist again and he exhaled a deep breath as the frustration he held in finally and slowly came out and those words just spilled from his lips.

 

"A-ani, t-that's not it." Miyeon could not look at him again so she tried to look anywhere else, letting her eyes wander from left to right but never falling on his facade as she felt the guilt washing all over her but she knew it was too late to turn back at this point. She has to be sent away and she also agreed because she knows it will be good for her future. She knows it is a selfish decision for not talking to him about it first and maybe deciding about it together but she also knows that there is no taking back anymore and no place for regret now. "I honestly do not know. I think I am too confused at the moment. I'm sorry." She slowly walked closer towards him again with two steps as she continued, "I know a mere sorry would not be enough but that's all I can say for now... I wish I can do something more for you." Frowning, she lifted her right hand and placed it on his left cheek, lightly caressing it with her thumb.

 

Heaving another deep sigh, he closed his eyes as he felt her palm on his cheek and leaned in to her touch for just a few seconds before opening his eyes to look at her frowned face again. "It's starting to get dark, maybe I should walk you home now..." He tried to divert the topic. Perhaps he was already feeling too emotionally tired to digest more of what's happening. The wind felt colder like there was something about it, different from the past days. As if there was coldness at emptiness in the atmosphere. Perhaps just like his heart at the moment. Slowly breaking into bits the longer he stayed there on the same spot where he is.

 

"Jimin...," Miyeon started but he only showed a faint smile to her, trying to hide the bitterness that's trying to creep in. "It's alright. Let me try to think things through as I walk you to your stop, alright? I might actually start to understand. Maybe all it needs is time." He walked past her towards her bag then he took her things for her and brought it over before taking Miyeon's right hand, leading her out of the soccer field and outside the campus grounds. Miyeon, on the other hand, just kept her gaze on him the entire time and quietly followed him as they walked outside, not attempting to say another word again.

 

The short walk towards the bus stop was filled with an awkward silence and occasional sighs that can be heard from either of them. The breeze was cold and the sky looked gloomy. Maybe it would rain, they thought. Jimin grasped Miyeon's hand tighter as it was the only way to keep her at least a bit warm since neither of them have brought a jacket, not expecting the cold weather to come. Shortly enough after the painful walk, they have arrived at the destination.

 

Miyeon slowly withdrew her hand from his before turning towards him. "I guess I can take it from here. You should go home too since it's getting cold here outside." Then there was a short pause before she continued, "Ji, thank you for everything."

 

"How much longer before the bus arrives? Are you sure you do not want me to accompany you anymore?" He asked with concern, hoping he could stay with her a little longer.

 

Miyeon looked down on her wrist watch. "In one to two minutes I guess. I will be fine, don't worry." She tried to smile despite of the gloomy atmosphere around them.

 

Jimin nodded and bitterly chuckled, "So I guess this is actually happening. I actually have to say goodbye for real now? When are you leaving anyway?" He clenched his fist inside his right pocket then frowned as it brushed against a cold metal. That's when he realized about the necklace. He was finding an opportunity to give it to her again and ask her to keep it while she is away but he couldn't seem to have the courage to do it. Instead, he decided to just keep it.

 

"Soon... I'll be sure to inform you." Miyeon smiled again.

 

She was looking the other way as she was trying to check something from her bag when Jimin held her left wrist and gently pulled her close towards him, making her turn her attention to him again.

 

"There is just... one last thing that I want to do before... seeding you away." Jimin's voice cracked as he whispered the last part but then he immediately cleared his throat so she won't notice. "I hope you wouldn't mind." Without waiting for her to respond, he cupped her cheek with his other hand and closed the gap between their faces, gently pressing his lips onto hers, pouring all the unspoken words and emotions through that last kiss. Miyeon sighed, slowly relaxing into his touch and she eventually kissed him back for a moment until she felt something wet strain her cheek and dampen her lips. That's when she realized that he was silently crying. She slowly pulled away and he was a bit reluctant to let go, still letting his lips linger on hers. She reached her left hand up and wiped his tears with her thumb, whispering another 'I'm sorry' before she completely moved back.

 

Just then, they saw the bus finally slowly approaching their way. Turning her attention back to him again as he held both of her shoulders, Jimin breathed out and said, "Miyeon-ah, I understand... or maybe I really don't fully do but I am trying to understand that you are doing this for your own good, for your future. But I want you to know that I am serious about willing to wait for you. Two years won't be long, right?"

 

Then the bus stopped right in front of them and the doors opened.

 

"I-I have to go now..." Miyeon secured her things.

 

"You'll come back for me, right?"

 

"I cannot promise...but... I will try." Miyeon then hesitantly took a step forward to give him a brief, light embrace before walking towards the opposite direction to load the bus. Taking one last glance behind her, she whispered, "Take care of yourself, Ji..."

 

Puffing air out, all that's left that he could do was keep his eyes on her and watch the bus move until it's completely out of sight. Seeing that it had finally left, he sped up his way back to his own house again. He figured that he will just sleep it off. It would probably help heal his emotions slowly. At least by now he is sure that he won't be dreaming the same dream anymore because they finally had a closure already... or was he even hoping for a closure in the first place?

 

As soon as he arrived home, he threw his things away, not caring where it went and headed to sleep right away. Miyeon's smile, as well as her words and gestures earlier, and even the kiss still lingered in his mind. He is sure that there is no way he would forget her in any way. He sprawled back on the bed, his right arm rested on his forehead as he looked up at the ceiling then slowly let his eyes flutter close.

 

"I will always love you, Miyeon-ah. I hope you will always be well."

 

The next few days felt like torture for him. The people around him, especially Taeil and Jeongmin have noticed the big changes in him and they could tell that this was because of what happened between him and Miyeon. It would just be like an ordinary routine for him to go to school everyday, attend classes, attend game practices and then go home afterwards. Each passing day was becoming heavier for him but he wanted to endure everything, only hoping that in the end, he would see Miyeon again and be together again.

 

A week after Miyeon finally left for overseas study, Jimin went to visit the big persimmon tree across the soccer filed. It was raining that day so he brought an umbrella with him. Stepping in front of the big trunk, he placed the blue umbrella down and took the necklace out from his pocket then crouched down after taking the small shovel from behind the tree as well and started digging on the soil in front of him to bury the necklace deep down then covered it again once he was done.

 

It was actually an agreement between him and Miyeon. That day when she sent a message to him saying that she is leaving, he talked to her about the necklace and proposed what he wanted to do with it.

 

'Ji, today is the day. Just don't make your way to the airport. You'll be late for class if you do...'

 

'Oh... is it today?? I didn't expect this. But I want to see you. But then again I might just stop you so I think it won't be a good idea.'

 

'I'm sorry...'

 

'Stop apologizing, it's not your fault. Anyway, remember the necklace that I gave to you?'

 

'Yes, what about it?'

 

'How about this... I will bury that necklace under the apple tree. After two years, or in case you can come back earlier... as long as you finally come back here, please dig it out. I mean I will take that as a sign that you are back. It also means you are willing to come back to me so we can continue our relationship.'

 

A few minutes passed and Miyeon has not replied after that. But after five more minutes, a short reply came in.

 

'If I can come back...'

 

Remembering those words sent a wave of bitterness all over Jimin again as he continued covering what he had previously dug before he dusted himself and stood up again. Sighing, the took the umbrella from the ground and left the area without taking another glance back at the tree. After Miyeon left, they ceased to communicate with each other as well. He thought that maybe it was only because she really needs more focus within herself and just let the matter slide even though he was feeling disappointed about it.

 

From time to time, he would occasionally go back there to check. Taeil even thinks it is kind of a ridiculous idea to keep going back there when he knows that their agreement is in two year's time. Maybe he was expecting too much, maybe he was having high hopes that even before two years were over, Miyeon would already come back.

 

Seasons passed, months passed, a year has passed, and his graduation passed... still every time he goes back there, it's the same. The necklace was still there. He and his batch mates were off to celebrate their graduation day but his mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Miyeon, wondering how she had been doing all this time. Suddenly, he felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned around to the source, Taeil.

 

"You never ceased to think of Miyeon, have you?" He tucked his hands inside his pockets and leaned against the pillar of one of the hallways as he looked at his friend who was seated on the stairway, in deep thoughts. "It's been a year huh? So what's going to happen after this? Are you still going to wait for another year? Are you still hoping she would actually be back here and take the necklace out from there and go back to you? You know I was actually thinking what if I just dig it up so it would be gone and you would stop going there already." This time his body shifted towards his right, his right foot behind his left.

 

"You don't understand, Tae. I still love her and it won't fade. I will wait for her like I promised. Even if she cannot keep her end, I will do mine." Jimin whispered as his gaze was fixated in front of him, looking at the empty school grounds. Then he stood up and grabbed his bag from the stair steps he was sitting on and walked past his friend.

 

"Ya, where are you going? Don't we have a party to attend?" Taeil blinked in confusion.

 

"Go party by yourselves, count me out."

 

Then the routine just kept going. The cycle went on and on. Everyday is the same. But what is worse was the fact that the changes in Jimin became quite drastic. His grades started to drop, even his performance in soccer degraded. He became colder to his friends and this especially alarmed both Taeil and Jeongmin, who were the closest with him. They would try to understand but sometimes, they lose patience too which end up in them having little fights at times.

 

Just like that, more seasons and months passed until the day he thought he had hoped for came. It's been two years since Miyeon left, since he became empty inside. He was still hopeful to hear from her. Just like what he has been regularly doing, he keeps visiting the persimmon tree to check on the necklace but he only ends up being disappointed.

 

As days and weeks passed after the indirectly promised return, there was still no sigh of Miyeon. Taeil and Jeongmin wanted to tell Jimin that maybe it's finally time to give up on waiting but afraid that another fight may ensue, they chose not to say anything and just silently support their friend instead.

 

On one rainy afternoon, the three of them visited the persimmon tree together. Spring came over once again and it meant that it was almost Miyeon's birthday too. Instead of letting his hyung dig the soil, Jeongmin volunteered to do it on his behalf. He crouched down and stated shoveling the hard soil out for good seconds as the other two stood a good distance behind him. To much disappointment however, he found that the necklace was still there in the same position, untouched, unmoved. The maknae could only look up for a moment before looking down again and shaking his head. The other two got the message and just heaved a sigh as they watched their friend cover the hole back.

 

Taeil and Jeongmin could not hide the worry they have for their heartbroken friend. But they don't know what else to say because every time they try to open the topic of forgetting, an argument would start right away because the other party could not accept nor entertain the mere idea of it. So as best as they could, they just stay by his side to give moral support to him.

 

As Jeonmin finally finished patching up the hole, he stood up and walked back towards his hyungs while dusting his hands off the side of his pants. "Um...'' He opened his mouth, wanting to say something but Taeil nudged his elbow, making the younger one frown.

 

"It's almost Miyeon's birthday again. Do you think that maybe she will surprise me instead by appearing on that day? I mean... she could be planning something, right? Who knows?" Jimin whispered, his eyes still on the spot where he buried the necklace two years ago.

 

Taeil could only pat his back as he sighed. "Maybe we should get back now since it's starting to get darker and it's raining hard... or..."

 

"You can go ahead, I will follow soon. Let me just stay for a bit." Jimin finished the statement for him and Taeil nodded, tugging Jeongmin's arm to leave with him, giving their friend some time alone. Soon enough the two were gone and Jimin felt a little more at peace.

 

"Ya, Kim Miyeon...,'' he began to whisper as if Miyeon would actually hear him. "Are you teasing me? Or are you testing me? You know I am not one to easily give up, right?" He let out a bitter chuckle before his gaze fell to the ground, his hands creeping into his pockets. "There might be a valid reason why you aren't here yet, right? But I know you'll come back. Right?" This time he looked up at the tree in front of him and sighed. "I will still wait for you no matter how long it takes. Whether you dig this necklace out from here or you surprise me with a call one day, I will gladly anticipate it. It's almost your birthday again... can I make a wish in your place instead? I hope to see you again and be with you again.''

 

His phone buzzed all of a sudden, interrupting his thoughts but as soon as he heard it, he picked his phone up right away in hopes that it could be Miyeon but to his dismay, it wasn't.

 

'Hyung! Want to eat out tonight? Taeil hyung said that he will treat us. Come here ASAP or no food for you!'

 

Heaving another sigh, he quickly typed a replying saying, 'Alright' before he pocketed his phone again and looked back at the tree.

 

"I guess it's a cue for me to go now huh? Was I too noisy just now?" He lightly laughed before his expression soon turned into a frown. "I will still come back here from time to time. I won't stop hoping... until I get another clear answer."

 

Then he turned around and started walking away from the tree. He did not bother taking one last glance at it as he continued walking away. But in his mind, he still had a lot of thoughts running through.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'And if ever you tell me one day that you really do not want to come back anymore... that you do not love me anymore... then maybe, I will stop bothering you and slowly give up on fighting alone...'