Epilogue

Save What's Left of Me

I can’t believe the time is here, I’m leaving home. I’m so excited to be going off to college and starting a new chapter in my story. It’s crazy to think where I was before, I am not there now. I grin just from the thought because now I am free.

 

It’s been a months since the last time I saw Seung-hyun, and I couldn’t be happier. That jerk got what he deserved. His got sent straight to jail. Since he’s rich, he was able to get a lawyer so excellent, Seung-hyun was sentenced to life in prison with possibility of parole. Though my mom wished he could get life without parole, I know in my heart he’ll never see life outside those jail cells. Maybe he can find himself a boyfriend in there.

 

Speaking of Mom, I’m excited for her. Seems like Mom and Appa’s marriage is going to be eternal, especially because now they’re expecting a child. They’re having twins, one boy and one girl. At least they don’t have to worry about them losing both their kids to adulthood since they have replacements for Kris and I. Seeing them together, I hope I can be like that in the future. They truly were meant for each other.

 

As for the future, I’m looking forward in a positive way. I ended this year of school with perfect grades, enough to get me to be the valedictorian and a scholarship to the school of my choice. However, I was more proud that I ended this year off with new found friends and better memories.

 

Dara has decided to head off to the Philippines and attend an elite art school there. She’s going to study with some fantastic teachers and return to Korea once she’s completed her studies. She’s also learning about literature so we can all one day see her art in a best-seller book. However, we’re going to make sure to chat as much as we can, especially since she’s gotten into a relationship with a mister Lee Min-ho. He’s a famous actor in Korea, but they’re keeping their relationship on the down-low. Last thing they want is crazy saesangs going after her. I can honestly say that I like the guy, he treats Dara like a queen and makes her truly happy.

 

As for Sehun and Luhan, those two knuckle-heads, I can’t wait to see where their roads take them. Sehun has been accepted to a dance school in America where he’ll be training with some fabulous choreographers. He wants to be dancer.

Once I saw him dancing in our school talent show, I was floored. That boy can move. Luhan is joining an entertainment company because he wants to become a singer. I’ve heard him sing, he sounds like an angel floating on clouds. His voice, it’s just WOW! You never know, maybe he’ll be in a hot group or be a killer solo artist. Either way, I know both of them will make it big.

 

Now, as for the love of my life, Kris and I are not parting ways anytime soon. Since he and I really want to continue on together, we’ve decided to attend schooling in China. While I am studying for art, he’ll be studying to become a part of criminal justice. He wants to do good by putting away bad people. He’s going to be my personal y cop, FBI, CIA, or whatever it is. As long as his job gives him handcuffs, I am a-okay with his career ;)

 

Now here we are, on a plane flying off to China. I look at the clouds and think, “I am finally me again.” For the first time in so long, I am not scared for what’s ahead. I am more than happy to take the risk. Kris’s hand grabs on to mine, rubbing his thumb on top. I look at him, seeing his gentle eyes gazing at me.

 

“Nervous Baby?”

I lean to him and give him a loving kiss.

“As long as I’m with you, there’s nothing to be nervous about.” 

 

Kris gives me a strong kiss again before telling me, "I love you."

"I love you too."  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

We smile at each other, closing our hands together as we relax for the rest of the plane ride. I lean my head on to his shoulder as we decide to watch videos on his tablet. I begin to reflect on this whole journey. For a while there, I was really gone. So detached from the world, I was close to the edge. But it took Kris, my step-brother, to pull me back and keep me grounded. It’s because of him that I was able to open myself up to friends, family, and love. Kris changed me. Now, instead of being a step-brother, he's become my love. The pieces of me that were left, he found the missing ones and made me a complete puzzle. Kris saved what was left of me. Even though I now carry a stab scar that represents my past, I think of it as the memory that makes me remember how alive I am now. I don’t know what’s ahead, but I know as long as Kris and I are together in it, I have no complaints. I can finally say

 

“I’m not scared anymore.”