Chapter 9

Take me as I am

A week passed since Amber’s arrival to Seoul. After several days, Sehun soon followed after her. Together, along with four strictly-hired assistants that Kris recruited through an executive HR advisory company, they created the ultimate dream team. Amber was assigned as the leader of the team, taking on the role of Creative Director of Kris Jewellery. Kris was satisfied at how he was able to cope with everything nicely. He wanted to show everything off to Sky Diamond, and what better way to flaunt than to throw a massive party?

Kris Jewellery was hosting a private party that weekend at a sophisticated hotel to officially introduce Kris as the new CEO, and the new team along with all the Internal Executive personnel, partners and some important members of the press. Though it was a private party, Kris’ PR team had spread a rumour among the media about the ex-Cartier designers, turning the party into the most talked-about event even during its preparation. Everyone wanted to know everything; where and when it was, who was important enough to be invited, and the appropriate fashion for the hottest event of the month. Everyone in the industry was dying to get an invitation.

Yes, Kris apparently knew how to make it big. He imagined how Sky Diamond would react once his secretary delivers their invitation. “It’s my turn now, just wait and see,” he thought with a smirk.

It was the eve of the party and because Kris was too busy trying to make sure everything will be perfect, he almost forgot the most vital thing - a partner for the event. Originally, he wanted to take Amber. Her charisma, unique beauty and amazing personality struck a chord with the man and he couldn’t think of anyone else he could take as a partner who he would have as much fun with as he would if he came with her. However it seemed that Sehun had way too much free time on his hands because before he even got to bring the subject up to Amber, Sehun was already telling him that he was taking the girl to the party. Kris lost his chance, leaving him with no other choice but to get to the venue early with his secretary Chanyeol so that they could greet the guests as the host of the party.

Sky Diamond’s staff’s arrival aside, nothing was really interesting to Kris until the two, talked-about ex-Cartier designers appeared, making their grand entrance. Kris hated to admit it, but they looked impressive together. Amber was showcasing her gorgeous collar bones and slender legs in a short, chic, black and white-checkered, strapless mini dress. Her for the night was in a dark blue suit, the young gentleman’s hair brushed backwards. The two reminded him of one of those royal vampire couples you’d see every so often in movies; flawlessly beautiful, dark yet stunning. Other than the fact that they weren’t a pair of familiar faces in the industry, they caught the crowd’s attention from the very first step they made into the hotel with their undeniable spark.

 

The host of the party, after snapping out of the daze that Amber’s not-so-tomboy-like appearance put him under and the fact that he was so jealous it wasn’t his arm she was clinging onto but his dongsaeng’s, finally got his act straight and made his way to greet the two.

 

- Hyung! This looks amazing. -  Sehun commented, letting his eyes roam around the hall.

- It’s a celebration for us, Sehun. Of course it has to be amazing. -  Kris retorted.

 

Sehun smiled brightly and gave Kris a manly hug. Kris’ eyes then landed on the pretty girl next to Sehun, watching her offer her hand to him for a kiss. Kris did everything in his power to ignore the voice in his mind telling him to pretend he misunderstood her gesture and to pull her hand so he could hug her tiny frame. He had to keep his good manners, so he took Amber’s hand and planted a soft kiss on the back of it. His lips lingered on the back of her palm a little too long for Sehun’s liking, but Kris couldn’t care less. He could smell her subtle perfume as he lifted his head up and let himself drown in her smoky eyes.

Kris knew he was being quite rude, but he couldn’t resist it. Amber was always gorgeous, but in an elegant and boyish way; rarely showing off her skin and curves. It was totally not like her to show off her feminine and, Kris had to admit, rather y side. He had never seen her wear a skirt before, let alone a dress as revealing as that.

 

- Whoa, is that really you, Miss Liu? You look so indescribably beautiful tonight -  he muttered.

Amber told herself to stop blushing. For all she knew, the man could’ve been an expert in compliments, but something in his eyes told her he was telling the truth. Under the splendid lighting in the hall, Amber’s brown orbs resembled the pearl she was named after. Kris was truly mesmerized.

- Thanks, Kris. Like you said, it’s a celebration for us. I can’t come underdressed, it’s bad for your reputation,- she chuckled, hoping her laughter was a good enough excuse for her pink cheeks. She gently pulled her hand from Kris’ grip, trying to hide her embarrassment. It wasn’t like Amber wasn’t always complimented for her beauty, but this wasn’t like the other hollow compliments she received over and over before. It was Kris and his stupid gaze that truly captivated her. She was sure she wasn’t the only one affected by this beautiful man.

 

Sehun felt bothered at the way Amber and Kris gazed at each other. It was as if they had forgotten he was even there. In fact, his heart skipped and he felt like he had been punched in the stomach. How could he have been such an idiot? He internally scolded himself for not realizing sooner that Kris was also a man - a very attractive one too, even in another man’s point of view - and his Amber was, in Sehun’s eyes, the definition of perfection. As a man who’s had experience in one-sided love for his colleague for a long time, he recognised that the way his hyung looked at Amber was the same way he himself looked at her.

Luckily for Sehun, Luhan appeared. He patted Kris from behind and broke the sweet moment Kris and Amber were having. Sehun thanked his older brother in his mind, but even without Luhan, he knew he would’ve definitely found a way to break their connection somehow anyway.

 

- What’s up, Kris? Your for the night was looking for you everywhere. He looked like he was almost crying -  the baby-faced older man chortled at his own words.

- What ? And a ‘he’?-  Kris stared at Luhan incredulously. Was he even speaking a language from this planet?

- Yup, that Chanyeollie. Isn’t he your ? Anyways, he’s looking for you. He says it’s time for your big speech. Did you forget? -  Luhan winked, mischievously grinning at the speechless Kris. The poor host of the event always fell for Luhan’s joke, and this time was no exception. He just made a face at Luhan before quietly going up to the stage to where his so-called “” was, preparing for his speech.

 

The party Kris left behind bursted into laughter. Luhan took a quick glance at Amber. Even though he’s never really met her before, he could probably guess who she was just by seeing her with Sehun and Kris.

- Sehunnie, aren’t you going to introduce me to this lovely specimen next to you? - Luhan spoke, but he wasn’t looking at his brother but rather at the girl. He gave her his friendly but ever-so cheeky smile, trying to make things comfortable.

- Hyung, this is Amber Liu - my senior and best friend. -  Sehun replied.

- Oh, so you’re the infamous Amber Liu. I’m Luhan, Sehun’s one and only ever-loving brother and Kris’ friend-  Luhan introduced himself back. He grasped her hand for a handshake.

- Hi, Luhan, it’s nice to meet you. Sehun’s told me a lot about you. - Amber smiled back. So this is Sehun’s hyung, she thought. They looked so much alike, she continued, but Sehun’s just a tad bit taller.

 

- Thanks for taking care of my baby brother. You must be really tired by now. He always makes a fuss, right?-  Luhan narrowed his eyes at his little brother playfully, as if scolding him for being a naughty little boy.

- Ah, no, not really. Actually, he takes more care of me, I think -  Amber reciprocated.

- Now Kris has tagged along and the trouble has doubled for you. It seems like the list of kids you need to baby sit keeps growing, Miss Liu. Please be patient with them, they’re still children. Also, please feel free to hit them too whenever they’re not obedient or they make you mad. I seriously don’t mind.

Amber couldn’t help but laugh even though Luhan looked so dead serious about it. He just blinked his deer-like eyes at her innocently.

- Yah, hyung, cut it out! What is this, a parent-teacher conversation? -  Sehun pouted like the child he was.

- Of course, what else does our maknae think it is? -  Luhan said.

- Hyung! - the younger one exclaimed.

Amber could only laugh. She was seeing a whole different side of Sehun recently. While he acted mature and responsible around her, around Kris and Luhan, he acted like a spoiled maknae who received lots of love from his hyungs.

- I read the program schedule by the way. Aren’t you going on stage after Kris’ speech to introduce you two? -  Luhan prompted whilst Kris was already on stage.

- Yeah, we will. See you later, hyung - Sehun bid his brother goodbye and gently guided Amber to the stage with his hand behind her back protectively.

 

Luhan watched them from behind. His baby brother didn’t really talk much about Amber before, but judging by how Sehun was treating her, how sweetly he looked at her, he started to doubt that they were just friends. Luhan’s interest was sparked. He made a mental note to ask Sehun about their relationship status later.

 

- Your hyung is so funny -  Amber giggled.- I’m glad I got permission to hit you. It can be stress-relieving, you know.

- Wah, after all this time, I never saw you as a violent person, Amber - Sehun withdrew, looking at her in horror.

Amber laughed at his reaction before continuing. 

- But he looks like a kind person. He really cares about you and Kris, reminding us of schedules and things like that. He’s good-looking too. From behind, I almost can’t tell you two apart.

- Well, that’s my hyung. I personally think I’m more handsome, and taller too. -  Sehun wrinkled his nose and took her wrist. - The CEO is calling us. We should go-  he said.


 

They climbed up the stage together, Amber’s arm hanging onto Sehun’s. Sehun attended a lot of party before, but it was his first time being the center of attention. If he was going to be honest, he really didn’t like the idea at first. Sehun was an artist after all. He preferred introducing his designs and the outcomes of his effort rather than flaunting himself. Amber also felt the same way. The whole event only added more pressure to the both of them. What if, despite all of the build-up and promotional events, their designs weren’t welcome in a country unfamiliar to them? South Korea was a whole different market compared to the US and European countries that Cartier appeals to. But, it was strictly business and it was all part of Kris’ plan to build budget for the campaign. Sehun’s hand found its way to Amber’s and held onto it tightly only to receive a squeeze back, making Sehun feel so much better.

 

Kris realised his new designers were feeling uneasy. He decided not to push things too far, just enough for Sky Diamond to get the warning and enough to gain back a bit of their reputation after some rumours in the industry about his father’s death. The reason he made the party private, with only minimum media involved, was to prevent them from getting too close to Amber and Sehun. He wanted to protect Amber, in particular. Even though she’d been living overseas since high school, not too many people know about her. She had a miserable past that Kris was afraid others would use against her, if ever they found out.

 

After the speech, Kris guided Amber and Sehun around the hall to meet important executives who were key parts of the team developing the project. Then, he left the two alone, continuing his responsibility as the host and taking care of investors.

 

 - Now you can enjoy the party. Thanks for all the help, and sorry. I know you both don’t like this kind of stuff, but… -  Kris scratched the back of his neck, unsure of how to put everything he wanted to say in words.

- Don’t worry about it, hyung; it’s part of our job. Besides, it really wasn’t that bad. I love the spotlight, you know.

 Sehun laughed it off; trying to make the mood lighter while Kris tried not to blush too much when Amber squeezed his shoulder reassuringly. Sehun caught this and it annoyed the younger man to bits.

- It’s alright, Kris, your part was way harder. We got your back, alright? Fighting! -  Amber grinned and he immediately found it cute how she was already learning Korean terminologies so fast.

- Thanks, I have to go. I’ll see you guys around. Enjoy yourselves, alright?-  Kris waved his goodbyes. He must’ve saved a country in his previous life to meet such wonderful friends, he thought.

 

Slightly thankful that the older man was gone, Sehun led Amber to a corner for a drink. The main purpose was to have some private time with her, and also to hide her from the hawk eyes of the countless of other men eyeing her in the party. She was clearly getting way more attention than necessary, in Sehun’s opinion. Other women also had their eyes on Sehun, but he made sure to stay and only had eyes for Amber all the time, hoping it was a clear enough message to leave him alone because his heart had already been long taken by her. Luhan joined them soon after they finished with the formal introductions. They chatted for a while and Amber decided he was the type she was more than happy to be friends with, telling things about herself more than she was usually comfortable with. When Amber excused herself to the bathrooms, Luhan took the chance and interrogated his secretive younger brother.

 

- So, how high are the chances of Amber becoming my sister-in-law, Sehunnie? - he raised his eyebrow inquisitively.

- H-hyung, how did you know? - Sehun started to feel nervous. - Am I that obvious?

- Hell yeah you were obvious. And since when did you start to learn how to hide things like this from me? Hyung is so sad, I feel like crying. -Luhan pretended to sniff and sob.

- Hyung, stop. I don’t even have the courage to tell her how I feel yet. -  Sehun started out quite strongly, but by the end of the sentence, he seemed so unsure.

- Oh, I see. - Luhan nodded, not really knowing what to say yet.

- My world revolves around her, hyung. -  Sehun said lowly, gesturing to the Amber walking towards them.

 

- Oh my God, Sehun, I love this song! Let’s dance.

She pulled his wrist towards the dance floor before he could react. Sehun placed his hands on Amber’s waist, their eyes locking while Amber told him about the song. It was Amber’s favorite song: Flightless bird, American mouth by Iron & Wine; the one she wanted to be played at her wedding with Henry. Though the wedding never happened, Amber still liked it. It became a part of her memories, awakening the happiness she felt back then. Sehun tightened his grip on Amber.

 

- I’m jealous of this song. It makes you so happy and you treasure it-  Sehun remarked.

- You’re jealous of the song? Why? You’re my friend, my soulmate. You already make me happy every day. 

Amber grinned, oblivious to what Sehun really meant. Sehun felt adrenaline rushing in his nerves and it made him say the words he’s been dying to say since day one.

- Did you ever see me as a man, Amber?

Amber sighed softly, surprising Sehun at how well she took it in.

- Yes, Sehun. I did - She replied lowly, eyes directed to the ground.

- So you did? Then does that mean you ignored my feelings for you all this time and pretended not to know that I liked you?

Sehun’s voice nearly cracked, he didn’t know what he was saying; the words were just coming out. Amber refused to look into Sehun’s eyes and remained silent. All those years, she knew that that moment was coming and she made sure to prepare for it. But when it did come, she still failed to make it even a bit better for Sehun. Amber had no idea how to explain her complicated inner, let alone to someone else.

- Amber, will you please look at me? What do you mean?

 

They gave up trying to dance. Amber’s eyes were still glued on the floor and Sehun couldn’t stand it anymore. He walked outside in need of some fresh air to clear his mind. It was his fault in the first place, but it was still too much for him to take in all of a sudden. Amber knew he liked her, but she didn’t do anything about it; no pushing, no pulling. She just kept him in limbo - in between, in the friend zone - keeping a safe distance from him.

 

Amber followed Sehun out of the suddenly suffocating hall and out to the garden where he was headed to. She never saw Sehun get angry at her before. She had no idea what to do, so when she finally reached him, she decided to just sit next to him on the bench facing a small pond. Finally, after collecting enough courage, Amber explained.

- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. It’s just…-  Amber bit her lip, unsure if what she was saying was making any sense to him. - I didn’t know what to do. I was just so insecure. You know the stories about me being abandoned by every single person I ever loved. - They were close, but Amber wasn’t the kind of person who could express her feelings easily.

 

- You really don’t trust me, do you? How many times do I have to tell you that I will definitely not let go of your hand, no matter what? - Sehun wanted to slap some sense into the older lady. He was starting to get a frustrated at the situation.

- No, it’s not that. You don’t understand. I’m scared, Sehun. I’m scared of a lot of things. I’m scared that I’d hurt you, that you and I would end up like strangers one day when the love and excitement has left the both of us. I can’t let that happen to us. I’m just...afraid of losing you. - Amber buried her face in her palms when she finished, afraid of tears falling out and Sehun seeing them.

Sehun sighed, utterly baffled. He understood how she felt, but he needed to let her see how things really were.

- I won’t leave you no matter what happens. I don’t care if you love me back or not, or if one day, you tell me you don’t love me anymore, because I will continue loving you. You can count on that. Just please, don’t ignore my feelings and give me a chance. 

He hugged Amber in his arms firmly and felt her tears fall on his shoulder gently. Guilt filled the young man. What has he done? He just made her cry. Her reply came as a shock to him though.

- I will. - she sniffed.

 

- So take this as my official notification to pursue you. Next time, if I ask you out on a date, will you agree? 

He asked, pulling her off him gently to look at her pretty face. Amber nodded while Sehun wiped the tear stains on her cheeks, his eyes travelling from them to her teary eyes. He sighed inwardly. She was so vulnerable.

- Come on, I’ll take you home. You don’t seem to want to go back in there. I’ll call the hyungs. - he said, helping her up by supporting both her arms.


Sehun walked her to his car, headed for home. They were both completely unaware of the person standing in the corner, who had been watching them for a while.

 

 

 

A/N: Hey I'm back with the new chapter. Did you guy realize any difference in this chapter? Yes, I got a new beta reader and she make it so much better. Tks my dear [kiss and hug]

In fact, the last week is so happy with new Krisber and Hunber moments but next week is soooo sad, the Growl promotion is over, no more exober on stage, I'm cryinggggg!!!!!

And here for the reader who asked me for the video I mentioned last chapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rYnHbHON0