Chapter 12

Take me as I am

Amber slowly opened her eyes hearing the front door shut. She had woken up since Sehun piggybacked her from his car to her apartment and gently laid her on her bed. The guy tucked her in and planting a kiss on her cheek before leaving but she kept pretending to sleep. Amber knew it was her mistake again but she was trying as hard as she could to adapt to the new stage in their relationship. If to say in a more exact manner, she was the only one who had to make an effort since Sehun did perfectly his part.

 

Their first date came with nothing special since both were full with the project and neither of them could put one hundred percent of their mind on the dating things. Aside from this, he cared for her as usual, it was just was upgraded to a new level since they stay with each other almost all day. If she didn’t leave the office then Sehun didn’t either. He always waited for her to finish her work, send her home, making sure that she didn’t skip dinner before going to sleep. If she left the office early, Sehun insisted in companying her wherever she went, or just stayed at her apartment, cooked their dinner together.  Easy as it may sound but it was changing from her bestest buddy to the man she dated which was a long distance. Amber was comfortable with him around but the ideas of kissing him or cuddling were quite strange.

 

Sehun hugged her, touched her hand, held her by her wait, cupped her face with his both hands were actually their normal kinds of skinship back when they were friends and Amber never minded them; but they contented a whole different meaning nowadays. He turned out to be a total different person comparing to the younger male friend she hung out with during the time she worked oversea. In contrary to some childish features on the face, his tender gaze, his bold moves, his y deep whispers he saved for only her when they were alone together were no joke, and they embarrassed her. Of course any ordinary girl could be embarrassed if it was young, hot like hell man did the same way to her. But this was not that kind of embarrassment.  The emotion she had toward Sehun was dearly, but she just didn’t know that if it was love. Amber once turned a blind eye on his feeling, selfishly ran away from thinking seriously about it in the past just for the sake of her soul. But now, she had to carefully cope with it in case she would ruin their precious relationship by her own hands.

 

Amber decided to date Sehun, knowing the stubborn guy would never give up if he wasn’t given the chance to try, but partly, she was giving the chance to herself, to figure out her true feeling toward Sehun. She didn’t lie to have said she did see Sehun as a man. He was always a special and somewhere along the way, Amber knew she had feeling for him though it was not too remarkable. To some extent, Sehun was perfect match for her. Amber saw herself in his dedication, his dream as a jewellery designer, his parallel opinion with her in every single issue of life. She sometimes was scared at the fact that she couldn’t hide anything from this guy who never failed to see through her, pointing out everything happening in her brain even the things she hid in the deepest corner of her soul.  Everything was meant to be perfect when Sehun confessed but somehow, she couldn’t make it.

 

Amber ran a hand through her short hair, remembering how Sehun cornered her to the wall in front of her house on their first date, eliminating the last distance between them with one of his long arm possessively wrapped around her lower back while the other hand caress her cheek.  She gulped at the feeling that he would kiss her when he gazed passionately on her lips. Fortunately, the destination of his kiss was her forehead, then her cheek before letting her slip into the apartment.  He in fact never kissed her on her lips. Maybe he saved it for a special occasion or something Amber didn’t know, but she was glad that he did wait for her. As expected, once again it was Sehun who knew how to think for her, never forced her to do anything she didn’t like which she felt grateful for. Amber looked blankly to the ceiling as if there was an answer to the question of how she could deal with Sehun written on it before lifting herself from the bed. She needed to take a bath and find something to eat. Seriously, how could the young man think she could be possible to sleep with working clothes on, and through all of the carrying and piggyback he had done?

 

Amber found she properly couldn’t sleep again. It was past midnight and she backed to unfinished sketches. Call her mad workaholic but she would rather work all night than toss and turn in bed with eyes wide opened. For people, insomnia was a serious symptom of depression, a cause of suicide maybe, but for Amber, in her high time of inspiration, it gave her more time to put all the imaginations in her brain into sketches before it faded away. Beyond a career, a lifetime dream, being a designer was her saving grace, her only escaping path from her emptiness. This project was particularly important. It meant a lot for her other than just to help Kris, it was step one in their plan to beat Sky Diamond. Though Amber knew if this project was successful, this was just simply winning a battle, not the whole war; she still fondly gave all her heart to it, considering it was her only army for the war.  After all, she was nothing other than a little designer with no money, no power, no relationship in the domestic jewel industry, Amber thought. What else she could do?

 

After the night time working session, she decided to take some time exercising, enjoying the fresh air of the early morning instead of wandering indoor day by day. She was an active girl back to the days in her university, going to weekly gym and yoga classes, even forming a dance group with 4 other girls in their modern choreography club. But then it was the nature of her job which required her to spend time in front of the computer and sketches all days and nights prevented her from continuing with her hobbies. Amber gained some weight and couldn’t keep the flexibility she used to have back then. Amber changed to her shorts and hoodies and rushed out of the flat, made her way to the small park behind the building.

 

It was just 6 in the morning of a weekend, when autumn had left but winter had not yet to come. This was the first time Amber come to this park though it was just 5 minutes walking from her neighbour and she had been living here for over a month. She inhaled a breath full of early morning air blending with the organic sense before beginning her running lap around the park.  She kept running in a low pace enjoying the relaxation she didn't feel for quite a long time, thinking if she should start her working out hobby again. Suddenly she found a familiar frame, running across her lap. It was Kris who began to get benefit from settling Amber in the same building with him.

- Hey Kris!

- Hey! – Kris absent mindedly showed his gummy smile to the source of the voice calling his name. He lowered his speed so that Amber could catch up with his pace. – I’ve never seen you around at this early time.

- Yup maybe I should pay more attention to my body. You know, getting old already.

Amber grinned. She was glad to see Kris’s smile again after a remarkable amount of time. Kris seemed to be so depressed with his working volume that he maintained a tense face most of the time. Amber barely knew anything about Kris personality but according to Chanyeolie, the loud secretary of the CEO, Kris was a cold hearted boss who strictly demanded to every tiny detail if it came to working issues, and rarely showed any expression of kindness to him or any other staffs. Yes, Kris was properly not a kind of funny guy like his friend Luhan but she at time was so confused if he was the man she knew by far. This was the exact same giant guy she decided to trust in London, still the same guy took her everywhere she needed to go back to the days she newly arrived in Seoul and she thought they were friends already; but these days, his smile never reached his eyes. Amber even thought whether she did anything wrong to make Kris turned his back on her. He completely ignored her sometimes. Sehun told her maybe just because the pressure Kris had to bear was so big that it affected his mood and he hadn’t found time to adjust it. They tried to help by calling him to hang out with them, but the guy was always busy with his documents, clients or some investors.

 

Above all of Kris’ weird behaviors, Amber sincerely worried for him. She couldn’t do anything more than noticing his expressions of tiredness and gave him some encouragement. The guy was literally in the same situation she was in, but ways tougher. Back to those days, she absorbed enough the feeling of,  being like a sole soldier, fighting against the whole world, which she was poured up with almost a year after the fall of her one and only family. Nothing could fill the hole left in her inner by losing her parents, having no safe nest to come back, to lean on. The day she lost her parents had she realized how much they meant to her, how happy she was to have a family and how much she mentally depended on them. The nightmare of she, Amber Josephine Liu turned her head back and there was only cold darkness behind haunted her almost every night.  Amber wondered if Kris experienced the same obsession with her, or even more considering the fact that he had a whole empire to take care of and an enemy who was always ready to stab a knife onto his back.  

 

-You should join me next time, I’ll call you up. – Kris offered, already imagine of how joyful it was to begin each day with seeing his crush in the early morning.

- Sure! - Amber smiled brightly.

 

Kris finally had his spirit back. After the opened conversation with Sehun, Kris found himself so eager to meet Amber again and make up for what he had done lately. Honestly, Sehun was right; not him nor Sehun but Amber was the only one had the right to determine her own fate, to choose which man could bring her happiness.  Kris had a reason to meet her and he arranged to call her out today but he just didn’t know that he could see her earlier than expected.

 

- I intended to call you later this morning, but as I've already met you... Did you remember I made a promise with you that I would help you in your parents’ case. – Kris asked when they rested on a bench after the running laps together. 

 

- Oh, I see. So what did you intend to call me for?

 

- I'm going  have a brunch with my close sunbae in high school who's a prosecutor officer in the next couple hours. I had told him about your parents’ cases and he researched the profile. Maybe you should meet him. He needs to know more about the case which is better being told at your side. - Kris properly didn’t plan to use this as an excuse to impressed her in the race to her heart or something, it was just a promise that he had to keep, a part of his offer to invite Amber to work for him.

 

- Well Kris! I didn’t think you could manage this thing so soon. Thanks!  I’ll see him. And maybe you should count my family’s lawyer to the brunch, he knew everything. 

 

Amber didn’t doubt that Kris would keep this promise, but it came as quite a surprise for her that this guy could find time to care for those things considering his overloaded duties at the company.

- So, 9 am, your flat.

Kris couldn’t hold himself from the seemingly boundless pleasure of doing something making this girl glad, for the first time as he may count. He was happy that he could do a meaningful thing for her, seeing how twinkle her eyes at what he offered, although this was just fulfilling his promise.

- Ok then. Let’s head home, Kris.

Amber changed herself to a casual set of outfit after showering and making a phone call to the former lawyer of her family. The call was longer than she expected and she just finished it right before Kris pressed the ring at her gate. Their destination was an outdoor garden coffee shop, couldn’t be more perfect for the nice weather. Amber, a genuine daydreamer who had a sense on beautiful things, had to admit, she loved how season changing from fall to winter in Korea which she didn’t have the chance to witness for years. 

 

- Krisssss, too much of a lovely place for a serious meeting. Look at this garden arranging, nice table and chair and those cute decorations. Amazing! We should come back again with Sehun. – The girl threw her head back to Kris, happy like a little puppy on a new playground, before continuing to wander with interest around the garden.

 

Kris smiled, realizing Sehun and Amber somehow resembled each other. The younger guy acted on the exact same kind of manner on every vanity things from fascinating places, random artworks to just a simple piece of photo which people like Kris and Luhan sometimes didn’t understand which part of them was that beautiful, although they were all taught how to enjoy art. Maybe that was the artistic element which enabled them to recognize every bit of beauty even in the most ordinary things. In fact, he couldn’t conceal his envy of Sehun for sharing too much common with Amber. The two of them always seemed like living in an invisible bubble that he deadly wanted to drag her out. 

 

- Dong hae oppa! - Amber suddenly ran toward the man walking in the garden whom she hadn’t met for years, her sibling from another mother.  

- Yah Ryu Yi Yun, you threatened oppa to dead.  My heart is not that strong. – Dong hae flicked the girl’s forehead with an annoying face, hiding his happiness of seeing his little sister again which he hopelessly waiting for.  – And wait to see Victoria, she will scold you for how selfish you were to leave us miserably worrying for you. 

- I left an email with my explanation when I left, oppa. I even send email telling you how I was living. Don’t overact with it. – Amber widened her eyes. She couldn’t believe after so much time not seeing each other face, her oppa was now scolding her like a kid instead of the soap scene she though he would act.

- You call your “Don’t find me. I need to make a new start”, and the yearly “I’m living well, don’t worry!” explanations. All I know was just you are alive and nowhere to be found even when I and Henry turned New York upside down. I almost kill your ex- boyfriend. 

 

Dong Hae glared at the girl. There was a time he was nearly insane knowing what Henry had done to Amber.  She was not the kind of princess girl who couldn’t do anything properly, but she was a child who was raised with love and happiness. She was always had her parents, Henry, Jonghuyn or Donghae himself by her side, protected her since she was a child to the day she broke up with Henry.  As far as what he knew about this girl, she wouldn’t do stupid things, but with everything fallen apart in her life, he still worried about how she lived after the tragic. This little girl must have got over tough time her wound all alone. He bent down a little to give her a bear hug, thanked God she was back to his life.

- I’m a good hide and seek player, right? Henry had his own reasons, don’t blame him and I’m back now.  Safe and sound, see?

- We missed you so much. You’d better keep contact with me from now on. Or else oppa would find and hit you.  - Dong hae released his little Yi Yun from embracing, made a threatened face to the girl.

- I will. So how were you and Victoria unnie? Have you get married? And Jong huyn oppa? How is he?

- We have 2 kids already, twin boys. You missed your oppa’s wedding. Jong huyn is in Chicago, making his MBA, and he’ll come home this Christmas, you can meet him then.

- Really? I missed all of you. Although it late, but congratulation oppa, and good job! – She winked at her oppa. Time flew and things changed a lot without her presence on purpose but it was good to know her best friend and her beloved brothers all were living well and happily. 

 

Kris asked himself how this man related to Amber since they supposed to meet her former lawyer and if what he knew about this girl was right, she was the only child. However, the man was like a male version of Amber, just in another size. Looking more carefully, Kris could tell the difference between them but why did he call the girl Yi yun? He soon was answered when the girl introduced each other.

- Kris, this is Lee Donghae, my family‘s lawyer. And this is Kris Wu, my friend and the owner of the company I’m working for, Kris Jewelry.

- Nice to meet you, Mr. Wu. I heard about your company’s reputation.

- My honor, Mr. Lee.  Just call me Kris. – Kris shook the lawyer’s hand - Look like you are not simply a lawyer of her family.

- Yes, we in fact were being raised up together, me, my little brother and Yi yun. Our fathers are close friends since college.  She was like my little sister. Don’t you think we look alike? We’re invincible dino siblings, right Yi yun? – Dong hae ruffled the girl’s short hair, recalling all their childhood memories before Amber went to US for her high school education.

- I was so surprised that you two look like blooded brothers. You should’ve told me earlier, Amber yah.

 

Amber was just grinning, listened to the men’s conversation and realized how much she missed her brother. He looked a lot more dignified in his appearance comparing to the last time they met. But still, the warm aura in his every move stayed the same. She wanted to meet him earlier when she came back to Seoul, but she used most of her time to keep up with the pace of the project. Another reason was somehow she hesitated to meet her old friends, whom she once decided to run away from. However, she found it was simply happy to see them again.

- Yo Kris!

- Hi huyng!

 

The supposing prosecutor arrived after sometime, making Amber wonder how come Kris’s friends all gave perfect visual effects. A gang with Kris, Luhan and the newly arrived man must have a load of fan girls in their high school. Any man with a frame, a face and a fierce gaze like this sunbae could easily gain a high position on fashion or entertainment industry without too much effort instead of working his off at Seoul Center Procuracy. They made some formal introduction and the prosecutor named Shim Changmin informed he had been researching the case of her family lately.

- So you’re mysterious daughter of the Ryu’s family? There was no information about you was saved in the database of the case excepted for your name, Ryu Yi Yun who left the country from the age of sixteen. – Changmin asked in curiousness.

- Yes, I made some trick to hide her identity in case the press and the people who killed her parents can put their fingers on her.   – The lawyer answered with an uncoverable beam of anger on his face. He just could do everything to keep Yiyun stayed from Sky Diamond attention but failed to obtain her family’s justice which to be honest he felt owing for Amber. Donghae swore to himself that he would do anything to pay this debt.

- Well, no wonder why her profile was confidential. I once thought that I am digging to a spy profile or so. However, the thing is all possible evidences only lead to the truck that crashed into the victims’ car which was found 2 kms from the field of the accident and the driver was nowhere to be found. The case was investigated separately without taking in the stock manipulation of the victim’s business which I found clearly to be the key point. Since the M&A properly had to be prepared in a long time. There’s no way they could made it in such a short time right after the accident unless all were planned and set.   As you can see there must have been someone’s power on the prosecutor’s side but couldn't find who was that.- Changmin felt sorry for his friend and Amber. Being a man working on legal field, he ought to have absolute faith in justice. But in reality, he hated to admit justice laid in the hand of power and money.

- He was Mr Kwon Min Jae. Changmin ssi properly knew him too. – Dong hae bitterly admitted. He had stuck in the case for many years, of course he knew the character behind it - I doubt he involved in Sky Diamond's act for several cases but his position was too high for our firm to touch and he didn’t show any flaw on his black transactions with Sky Diamond, a clever man I have to admit.

 

Changmin gasped at the name. That man occupied the highest position in his office. He always displayed a loyal and noble image which was highly respected by his subordinates, including Changmin himself.  

-Are you sure it was him? Mr Kwon's power was huge and he's a raising politician. He couldn’t risk his career for money.– Changmin asked in disbelief.

- Sky Diamond made some sponsors for his political campains, he didn’t climb to that position on his own. It was well - known among the politicians that Sky Diamond had his back but there was no evidence showing. – Dong hae shrugged his shoulders on confirming Changmin suspicion.

- And about your case, Kris. The designs in fact were registered under Sky Diamond’s name before giving to your company by your Creative team. Legally, it was Kris Jewelry who stole. – Changmin signed. He wanted to help his hoobae in the cases since Sky Diamond featuring their dirty trick had involved in a chain of suspicious cases. Just like the two here, all were covered by their power veil and left unfinished.

- I almost fired the whole Legal team. – Kris clenched his fist. It was not entire the Legal team’s fault but the consequence was clearly huge.

- There’s a way, mean but effective: give the press some information about Mr Kwon and Sky Diamond, and they will dig into their background. It was illusory at first because this man was really careful in his moves as I can see. However all we need is he showing up for Sky Diamond again, of course with some factors from our side. I don’t have any connection with the press but surely Donghae ssi and Kris here do, don’t you? – Changmin smirked, revealing his plan. -  You may not know but the press could make incredible fuss sometime, it’s their big fish. All we had to do was just giving them the bait.

 

The lawyer nodded at Changmin’s plan. He thought of it before but didn’t find a way to get Mr Kwon involved in the Sky Diamond case again. But they had Kris Jewelry in the game now. He quickly came up with a strategy to get what they wanted which he explained with the other. It would be way easier to get an alliance who shared the same target.

 

He again looked at his little friend who remained silent through the conversation.  She might not be suitable for these whole strategic things and people might think she was useless here in the conversation of a lawyer, a prosecutor and a business man.  But it was her who amazingly put together all of the pieces to solve the puzzle.

 

They wrapped up the brunch with agreement about what to do next. Needless to say, it wasn’t easy at all, just a mistake and the game was over. However, no matter how powerful Mr Kwon and Sky Diamond were, they must legally pay for what they have done. Kris Jewelry was not an easy entity to touch and Kris never let his guard down on Sky Diamond again, but for Amber it was another story. The whole plan they decided to proceed was more meaningful for her than for Kris, and he glad that at last, they found a way out for her case.

 

- So Amber’s real name was Ryu Yiyun. She changed her name to Amber Liu and also her citizenship was changed to American as it stated on her profile. Did you really need to make to that point? - Kris asked Dong hae on their way to the parking lot. He was always curious about the way Amber’s oppa called her. This girl was always a huge mystery book he was learning to read.

 

- You know, the situation was very complicated then and I wanted to keep her away from those evil people. She even couldn’t come back to her parents’ funeral. – Donghae let out a sighed in sorrow. He knew it was cruel for the girl but he did everything to prevent her showing up at her own parents’ funeral. 

 

Kris was stunned at the fact he had discovered lately. She never really told him about her whole story, and he didn’t know that she got through it all alone before hearing her conversation with Donghae though. Commiseration poured up his chest on realizing what actually happened in her life was way tougher than he had thought. He just couldn’t understand why she chose to suffer it all by herself.

                                                                                                                                                             

- Yiyun was so young at that time and she never learnt how to run a business. Apparently she wasn’t a threat to Sky Diamond. But looking at what the big branch dared to do with her parents who refused to sale their shares to them, there was nothing certain about what they would do if they thought she might affect their plan. - Donghae landed a firm gaze on Kirs, making an advice or to be more exactly, a demand for Kris -   I heard about the deal between you two. Yiyun is working for you on a new project, right? Make sure to keep her out of their sign. I will be careful with the press, too.

 

Kris nodded at what Donghae noticed him, remembering what Sehun told him yesterday about the rival’s people convinced Amber and him to work for them. It could be referred that they hadn’t known about Amber background yet. Although the situation was not the same as it had been 3 years ago, it didn’t mean they would leave her alone after discovering who she really was. 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, new chapter and check out my new Hunber oneshot :"> , luv ya all <3

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/566663/need-you-now-amber-sehun-kris-hunber

 

Set of gif for Sehun fans, LOL . SM maknae line's forever awesome