Chapter 15

Take me as I am

In absolute silence of the morning, Kris sat motionless in front of his coffee cup. Faint light scattered on the floor in the shape of the screen's pattern which was hanging over giant glassy windows, prevented the frosty sun beams from the indoor space. He grew tired even by the light.

 

The coffee was untouched and cold. His eyes shifted for long on the traces of Amber. On the back of his left hand where she laid her fingers on appeared four crescent livid shapes. He balled a tight fist, felt the vibe of her tremble was still somewhere on the memory of his body. Yesterday was not just another day.

 

She must be someone that he never could totally let go in this life. Now that it came clearer when he named something subtle but very transparent about how Amber tightened knots with Sehun through small details. Like how she wore a shirt of Sehun, like how in some days, they smelled exactly the same, how she nearly cried the night before because of Sehun, or how spark glowed her face when she talked about him.


Maybe that made Amber the Amber he loved, including the part that she made him year for Sehun’s place. This girl was somewhat between cure and poison. Kris longed for her but when he took a step forward, he wished he never did. The more he got to know her, affection developed in vaster extension and despair cut him deeper. As if he never knew. He just couldn't help. He only could walk perfect circles in this desert, until he got blinded and burnt. There was no way out.

 

"This is so tired-some." He talked to himself. His voice was hoarse, like it didn't belong to him anymore. He left the kitchen counter where he was settling, emptied brown beverage into the sink and washed the porcelain cup. Today would be also a gloomy day at work. Chanyeol delivered a bad news early this morning.

 

They had weekly appointment and Kris had an investor meet-up to go before he had Chanyeol dialed the Creative Director to require a discussion with CEO.  Main designer Sehun was also invited. "Something must have come up." He made a prediction as he recalled what he had exchanged with Kris about Sky Diamond last week after the brothers' talk about Amber. He came first, in a rush. While Amber assigned some duties to the staffs that needed to be done by the time she came back. Her late arrival made the encounter less awkward due to yesterday's situation.

 

"How are you? Luhan almost cried when he couldn't reach you."

 

Kris exposed a hint of anxiety despite of his cold tone when he saw Sehun walked into his office. The young guy had a reason, Luhan told him. But thinking about how his brother and Amber had freaked out, he needed to be complained.

 

"I'm fine. I called him earlier. And... thanks for taking care of me last night, huyng."

 

Sehun muttered. He surely was an adult who had every right to drink or be as mess. But in front of the older man, he didn’t know why feeling like a kid being caught off guard in a wrongful game.

 

"Never mind. Amber... did everything before I came. You should have come to me instead of drinking alone. I'm always ready to listen."

 

The years they hadn't seen each other and everything happened couldn't change the fact that Kris had a soft spot for Sehun. He never could hate the younger guy. For Kris, seeing Sehun in the said condition was also a pain. He felt like not being trusted anymore. 

 

"I will."

 

Sehun nodded faintly and earnestly claimed as he smiled when Amber came in. She sat on the seat across Kris' and beside him.

 

"Is it Sky Diamond again, Kris? Chanyeol said something came up with our collection.

 

"Yes, it is. You guys should see this."

 

Kris handed a gray envelope to Sehun. The contents were picture of Seo Joo Huyn, one of the staffs of Creative team, with a middle-aged man. They were talking something in a coffee shop. Both looked cautious and tensed. Questions plastered all over the duo's face.

 

"What's with Ms Seo, huyng? I don't get it."

 

Kris scoffed as he explained the details.

 

"Except for you too, I have all personnel who access to the new collection under track by a private detective firm. It's not totally lawfully, I understand. But it works anyhow. The pictures were captured yesterday in which the man is our former Creative Director, Park Han, who sold us to Sky Diamond several months ago. I believe he is also the one that's trying to meet you too. Because you guys are hard to reach, they try another trick. The two of them have contacted for quite a time, mainly through emails and phone. I had her house's IP and phone number under check. What are her duties in your team?"

 

Amber pursed her lips tight in surprise and anger while Sehun knitted his eyebrow. This was not only for the threatening to their works, but also for a betrayed belief. They never could image a co-worker who appeared very productive and responsible at work, sometime to the point of stiffness like Joo Huyn could stab a sharp knife behind their back. She violated professional ethics by which was highly forbidden in the creative circle, reveal unreleased designs to the rival company.      

 

“She’s in charge of transforming our raw sketches into digital. Mainly by detail redrawing them with professional software, in 2D, 3D and motion." He described the staff's job as continuing observed the pictures.  

 

"I see. She probably took advantage of her vacancy and sent your designs out."

 

"What are we going to do? Do you gonna fire or sue her?"

 

"Firstly, I have all your works copyright registered by our Legal team today so that they won't have the chance to release exactly our designs. Though, they totally can change some small details in the collection and flaunt them just to screw us. I'm afraid we'll have to change our flagship designs. I'm sorry. " 

 

Kris heaved a heave breath as he squeezed his eyes before opening at the two designers in regret. Among almost a hundred designs that the two of them had produced after the concept, they determined thirty five to put into the collection. Seven of them were chosen to be the main items which would come out as limited edition. Kris blamed himself for what happening. They worked really hard for the sake of him yet he was incapable of protect their works. 

 

"Submitting other designs is not a matter, Kris. But what if they will be leaked again, what will we do then? We have to do something. " 

 

Amber ground her teeth. This was really over the top. She got enough of how dirty this entity worked, seeing her brain cells and sleepless nights being stolen like a joke. She hated it even more how her life had been revolving around that entity ever since the case. 

 

"In fact, thanks to them we can push our plan faster. I talked to Changmin huyng and Donghae huyng. Legal team is on their way to fire a law suit against Park Han and Seo Joo Huyn. Next week, we will see news about Kwon Min Jae and Sky Diamond's black connection on press and broadcasting. Because Kim Huyng Joong will probably have to find the prosecutor for a rescue, either for saving or getting rid of Park Han. Catching them on a private meeting is enough."

 

Kris smirked and took a tighter grip on the pencil on his hand. Even if the plan didn't work that way, Creative Director being involved into copyright issue was a death attack to Sky Diamond's reputation. 

 

“And about the new designs, this won't be happening again. I promise. This time only the three of us can interfere in the process. No one else. I'll talk to the BOM." 

 

Sehun nodded to Kris' pleading gaze as he gripped the side of Amber's shoulder. "Let's do it again, Amber. And make it better." 

 

Amber felt herself unclasped her hands and released the tension she had built on her shoulders upon confronting the news. She exchanged a glance at Sehun and to Kris afterward. 

 

“Got it. Should be better and be careful this time." 

 

--------------

 

Luhan dropped by Kris Diamond in the afternoon to see Sehun. Being the firstborn, he felt ashamed of himself. He could've raised his voice for Sehun but he just didn't. Luhan had a conversation to their parents after Sehun taking his leave. But obviously, their mindset on the son's career was a deep prejudice which they refused to change. In fact, his father threw his anger at him for taking Sehun's side. Just like this, the family circumstance would never been discussed accordingly. 

 

"Come home and have another conversation with them. We both grow up and you can't just run away like a spoiled kid like last night." Luhan took a sip of orange juice as he advised the younger brother. They stood in an office's corner next to the staircase, taking a quick rest for each other before Sehun had to come back to work. 

 

"Will they understand huyng? How many times have we had to talk about the same thing?" Sehun winced his nose in frustration. "Do you think they'll understand if I... give up my right on their wealth? I don't need it anyway." 

 

The shorter man shot a glare at Sehun as he absorbed the idea of his brother leaving the family in a bitter way like this. 

 

“Never mention this idea to Mom and Dad. You will just push them further. They love you, Sehun, just not by the way you wish it to be. Take more time and tell them about your concern, alright? They won't understand if you never give them the chance to. You've been out of the country for years, ever since you were a teenage boy. And when you come back, you're rarely at home. How come they get use to the twenty - something you? They missed you a lot, too." 

 

"I will. I just... I'm afraid, huyng. I told you what Amber's been through. If they don't accept his own son, I don't believe Mom and Dad will be generous enough to welcome her with all of her suppose-to-be flaws into our family. I don't want her to be hurt." 

 

The painful vision flashed in his mind again and he tilted his head to another direction, avoiding seeing the older guy. Luhan patted his brother's back and returned a smile. He was proud to see his little boy had been matured enough to think about something so serious as settling down with the girl he loved, something that even him, the older hadn't yet to be through.  

 

"Like I said, take time for them. And beforehand, you guys have to get out of that friend-zone. Don't tell me you haven't asked her out yet." 

 

"I did, she accepted and we have first kiss today." A grin tugged on his face as it turned to a darker shade of red. He had been imaged of this day for a thousand times, that he had a chance to brag about Amber with his brother. And now he really did, it was satisfactory. 

 

"You did? Really? Good job, maknae ya!" 

 

Luhan nearly jumped in cheer. He felt like being eighteen again, when Sehun came home and confessed about his first love. This was still so cute, although this time the love Sehun talked about was not just a bubbly one. He could see how long his brother had been waiting for this. 

 

"But huyng, Kris huyng... Kris huyng falls for Amber, too. In a situation like this, can I and Amber still be blessed?" Sehun mumbled. His head held low in regret and pity. 

 

The smile died down on Luhan's face. Kris never told. Though, it didn't seem like he could tell him. He was Sehun's brother anyhow. Silence engulfed the both of them with heaviness of the piece of information. He didn't believe he heard it right. This world was so narrow and at the end, something as fictional and painful as a triangle love, actually happened to his beloved ones. 

 

"Are... are you sure? How come?" 

 

"I asked and he confirmed. It's been for a while and he tried very hard to push back his affection because he knew my relationship with Amber. You should find a way to console him. It's been a hard time for him, either at work or emotional life."

 

Sehun squeezed his temple hard. The issue was not something he could be confident to handle well.  

 

"I see. Anyway, I won't take back my wish for you two." A cheerful ray beamed in his doe eyes although deep inside, he felt sorry for the both of his brothers. Kris must have been suffered and Sehun couldn't be completely happy either. 

 

 

He paid a visit to Kris' office, too. It had been a while since their last seeing each other. Kris was too busy these days to have a proper hangout with him or maybe because of his crush on Amber that he avoided meeting the gang so often. 

 

"I heard about something came up with Sky Diamond again. What is so important, Kris, that Sehun can't tell in the open space?" Luhan decided to suppress the fact he had been discovered. 

 

Kris sighed as he re-winded the ordeal. This had been a long day. Seeing Luhan was a relief. Somehow, this guy always had something to do with his issue, in a way that made him feel fortunate. This time was not an exceptional. 

 

"Alright. At the end of this week, all of Sky Diamond shops will completely be pulled off our shopping center chain, nationwide." 

 

Luhan claimed as he frown his forehead in deep calculation. It was lucky that he could get the information beforehand. It would be a mess when everything was exposed on the newspapers. 

 

"You don't have to help me this way. You're making business too, and Sky Diamond is an important partner." 

 

"That's why I have to. We don't want to work with a partner with lawful issues either. And you know how business is information sensitive. We'll see how rumors kill them like they did to their rivals. Even before the news is published, their stock will slide down the ladder." 

 

Luhan smirked at the imaginary of Kim Huyng Joong's face when he got kicked out of his family's chain which occupied second place on the luxury retail market. Soon, the industry would all know the reasons and they would see in delight how Sky Diamond would cope with. 

 

"Well, so this’s how benefited to make friend with rich people, Luhan ya." 

 

Kris flashed a wide grin like the way they used to bicker. Luhan returned with a playful punch on the friend's arm.

 

"Now Mr Wu, if you have time may I ask you out for a drink? I miss my old friend to death."  

  

"Sure, Mr Oh!"