Chapter 17

Take me as I am

Soon, Amber found herself sitting on the bench under a twiggy tree and a gray lamppost. A side of her face was numb where an ice pack was pressed on. She palmed her forehead with the other hand and squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. Troubles came in pack. 

 

Kris signaled Amber to remove the ice pack and see how her face was going.

 

"It looked much better. Keep it a little more and the mark will go." And he put the cold compress back on her face. "That is one scary young lady, isn't she? I mean Tiffany."

 

"She isn't actually. She is just insecure, I suppose." Amber mended Kris' opinion as she progressed to keep the pack on her face again. “Tiffany cried, while it is me who is slapped."She reasoned.

 

"That's why you should be aware of her, after all the things she has done." Kris lifted his eyebrows in disbelief. The world of women obviously is a weird mystery to him.

 

"She has a point, even though it's not correct."

 

"Mind if I ask you why?"

 

Amber kept her eyes on Kris for a second and replied him with what he wanted to know. She told him the entire story about her and Henry. After all, this was not anything so ashamed to hide. She had told him even more before.

 

"So, Tiffany thinks that Henry is still in love with you."

 

"She believes which Henry never tells me. He isn't the kind who marries a woman he doesn't have feelings with either. In this case, I think he delayed his wedding with Tiffany and took that time to terminate our relationship, so that he can be with Tiffany wholeheartedly." Amber shrugged. "I wanted to brush her off me at first. I've never interfere in their relationship whilst she came to me with a huge mess. But when I see her cried, I think I should take a look at myself. Maybe I distributed the reasons why she suffers. I totally misunderstood about the reasons why Henry broke up with me and cut off all connection with him immediately after that, leaving him no chance to explain and fix our relationship. Regret made him restless, and Tiffany totally can hate me for that. Henry must be very upset to know how badly our past relationship has affected Tiffany."

 

Amber's complicated life was beyond his imagination and knowledge. He felt bad for her, too. It hurt the most when two people have to break up while still in love with each other. Amber and Henry must have been a beautiful couple.

 

"That's very unthoughtful of her to think that. You know, I don't see why you should blame yourself. Their relationship has troubles on his own. And you did very well to calm her. Henry should be thankful."  


"Did I? Henry loves Tiffany, I can tell from seeing him with her. He loved me once anyways. Tiffany just lost herself for a second. Woman to woman, I believe her nature is not bad. She's the one Henry chooses after all."

 

Amber smiled faintly with downcast eyes and buried her face further into the fabric of her scarf. She had never be in the same situation before. It was very irritating and absurd at first which came as if her life was not enough of trouble. Though, it was relief to know she handled it well. 

 

"You did. Now give the ice pack for me and go in. Your face has come back to its usual pretty condition." 

 

Kris patted her head lightly. He thought of lucky he was to come right in time and to be included in her story just like this. Somehow, she reminded him of a cat was stuck in the rain. Too timid, too small and vulnerable to be let go. Truth to be told, Amber was much more comfortable with him than how they used to be. Comparing to how hard he had to break her shield earlier, she shared a lot this time. As long as she didn't push him away that was far more enough for him.

 

"Please help me with this, Kris. Don't tell Sehun about Tiffany. He hates it the most whenever seeing me involved in such mess like this." Hesitatingly she looked up and asked. This was really embarrassing, she signed inwardly.  

 

"And here came Sehun again." was what Kris thought to himself. Thought, he had already get used to it. He would be fine with it anyhow. At least the good thing was they shared secret. 

 

"Okay, you have my word." He promised, just to see Amber grinned back at him brightly, eyes drew crescent shapes. Her smile never lost its impact to him. When even Luhan said he should stay away and back off, it kept him staying, recklessly.

 

"Thanks, Kris. I own you this time." 

 

"You do. Buy me a coffee in return, can you?" He teased, and suddenly remember a stingy thing that he always kept to himself. "But Amber, I have something to say. Why do you call Luhan oppa while I'm always called by name? This is unfair." He squinted. 

 

Amber giggled and watched the sun dropped a ray on his orbs, turned them into a lighter shade of brown, almost glassy. He had thick eyelashes that fluttered with blinks of warmth and subtle sorrow. She sort of liked it. When everyone in the office said Kris was a man with icy heart, she saw him the opposite way, maybe because she was included in his circle. Kris was not cold; he only hid himself too well.

 

"You are so childish, Kris! Alright, oppa or coffee, you have to choose one." She whined. 

 

"You are really mean. Call me oppa from now on." 

 

"Okay, Kris oppa."  

 

She chanted and they both laughed, walking back to their office. For a moment, Amber was almost forgetting all about friend and foe, about how tired she was just half an hour ago. Kris helped, indeed. And she flashed him his favorite smile again when they across the street. His hand held loosely on her lanky arm protectively.

 

 

" Oppa, you know what, you're a very kindhearted oppa." 

 

He looked in a different way, pretended to watch out for the vehicle when he couldn't help grin ear to ear like an idiot and mumbled back. "Am I?". Butterflies were full of his stomach in the way he rarely felt before. 

 

"Tell me, Luhan. How can I get over her?" 

 


 

Sehun lifted his head from the Mac's screen when Amber called him for a hot chocolate, his favorite beverage. They worked at Amber's home today and might be tonight, too. They were working on the last three pieces. And because their works shouldn't be leaked again, they decided to work at home instead. Once in a while, Kris would stopped by, bringing their lunch and samples of new products. Their collection would be out in three week later. 

 

He walked to the living room and found Amber sat cross legs on the couch, switched channels on TV. She wore all white today, shorts and loose knitting sweater, in which she looked much younger than her age. Sehun liked to see her at home when he looked plainer without her edgy outfit. Since the day he knew Amber, it dawned inside of him that there were people enhanced themselves with fancy and fierce dressing just to hide damages inside. Amber was one of them.  

 

He came took a seat on the floor next to the couch and took a sip of chocolate from the cup Amber gave him. She stopped at the channel showing "How I met your mother", their favorite series. He leaned his head on Amber's thigh and watched in delight how Barney Stinson was talking about cheerleader effect. This was an episode that both of them had watched one day in London as he recalled the memory. And then he noticed that Amber was a little dazed off. She didn't even laugh. 

 

"Amber... Hey! Earth to Amber!" 

 

She blinked her eyes and got out of her world as Sehun tugged on her hand. "Huhm?" 

 

"What are you doing? You don't even hear me calling." He pouted and moved his seat on the couch, held her closer with both of his arms across her torso.  

 

"Hot chocolate makes me sleepy." Like a lazy cat, she rubbed her nose on the crook of his neck, eyes closing.  

 

"Then sleep, but only half an hour so that you can sleep at night too." He her hair and pulled her down, let her laid on the couch, head rested on his leg. "You always sleep on weird time and can't sleep at night, Amber yah! It's three on the afternoon." 

 

"I know. Because I can't sleep at night, I doze off easily." She signed. It would over soon, her insomnia. After the project she would take time to adjust her life. Traveling might help. "Sehun ah, let's finish the last pieces quickly before this day next week." 

 

"Why? Our deadline is two days after that." 

 

"It's that time of the year again, my parents' ceremony. I'll visit them." She stopped for a second while Sehun mentally smacked himself. How could he forget it? "Will you come with me? I don't want go alone." 

 

Amber said simply as she looked up to catch his eyes. For the years he had known her. Amber always took a day off on the certain day without stating the reason. Last year, he thought she was sick and come to her place, only to find Amber at home. She made traditional dishes for her parents' ceremony, like a typical Korean one. She never missed it. 

 

Amber once said "There are journeys that you have to walk alone." when he asked her why she didn't tell him earlier about the day. In fact, Sehun hurt a little back then. He thought they were close but she still kept things from him. But he knew her too well, that even when she decided to open up for him, she couldn't do it easily. So he let her made it one step at a time.  

 

"Don't worry, I'll drive you there." Sehun nodded and rubbed her back gently as the girl heaved a heavy sign. 

 

"That's why I don't want to go back to Seoul. There are places I have to go and people I have to see that remind me of things I've lost. Please help me, Sehun." 

 

She heaved a heavy breathe as she took his hand ans squeezed tightly while Sehun leaned down to kiss her cheek. She didn't have to ask, he would always be more than willing. He wasn't aware of what she showed him to see. He was only afraid of the part she was hiding. 

 

"Of course I do. Now stop talking and sleep tight." 

 

 

 

A/N:  Hi everyone! I keep my promise, I update very soon :D Enjoy this chappie. I'm not so good at fluff but hope you guys like it ^^