Chapter 11

Take me as I am

Sehun stood at the entrance of the Creative Director’s office, frozen at the scene of Kris smiling sweetly at the sleeping Amber while touching her hair and forehead gently. The older man was too caught up in his own world to realize that he had entered the room. This gave him an opportunity to observe them for a couple of minutes. Sehun decided not to think much of it, even when he had an instinct that Kris somehow felt more than just friendly affection towards Amber. He didn’t show it much, but Sehun knew something was up. The situation before his eyes only added fuel to his suspicions.

 

His hyung was a kind and generous person, and Sehun knew him long enough to know that. He also knew him long enough to know that it wasn’t in Kris’ personality to be so clingy and spend every waking hour with a friend to make her feel welcome in a place that was new and strange to her despite his busy schedule. He would surely make a new friend and executive personnel feel welcome, but not in that way.

 

When he thought about it, his hyung never actually told him how he felt or what he thought about Amber, not that he could really ask him. He didn’t think he had any right to ask him about things which involved his personal thoughts or emotions unless Kris voluntarily told him himself. The fact that he was seeing Amber didn’t mean he was her boyfriend. Plus, Kris was his hyung; his second older brother. Sehun couldn’t just come up to him and demand whether he liked the woman of his dreams or not. It bothered Sehun more, however, when Kris suddenly came up with all kinds of excuses to avoid Amber for the past couple of weeks, and the fact that Amber noticed and was starting to feel bothered about it too, didn’t help the younger man’s muddled thoughts one bit. He found it weird since Kris wasn’t a hot-and-cold type of guy who switched moods as fast as he had been lately.

 

The possibility of Kris having a crush over Amber was further confirmed when he caught the way his hyung and his gazed at each other that evening at the party, and truth be told, he felt threatened. Sehun never lost confidence about his appearance and he knew Amber better given the amount of time they had known each other. But still, even though they went through thick and thin together, his hyung’s charisma was undeniable. With his infamous ‘Male God’ features, tall and lean structure and his low voice which women seem to go crazy for, Sehun clearly had a reason to feel uneasy. People’s first impression of his hyung may not be good; seeming like a cold, ill-mannered jerk at first, but for those few who successfully entered his world, they knew that Kris was caring. For the many years they’ve known each other, Sehun knew that Kris wasn’t the type to fall so fast for any random girl. Heck, even his BoA-noona, who was the only girl that his hyung ever dated, still failed to break through Kris’ heart after years of trying. If Kris really liked Amber, then she must be very special to him. Sehun prepared for his next move. He had to be careful not to hurt his hyung’s ego or feelings.

 

-   Kris-hyung, let her sleep for a while. I think we need to talk, - Sehun said. He breathed slowly. He knew he had to speak to him about the matter now, or he’d never find the chance to ever again.

 

Kris nearly jumped from fright. How did Sehun get there so quietly? And why the hell did he feel like he’d just been caught red-handed when he wasn’t really doing anything? Kris clenched his fists then heaved a heavy sigh. Even after all that effort, he couldn’t hide his feelings until the end. Both men remained silent as they made their way to the cafeteria which was obviously empty at the late hour. Sehun tried to read Kris’ thoughts, but as usual, Kris hid them well with his straight poker face.

 

- Hyung, let’s get straight to the point. You like Amber, right? – Sehun immediately bombarded Kris with the question which had been bothering him since the first time Kris and Amber had met as soon as they settled on one of the tables near the glass walls.

 

Kris blankly stared at the splendid view which the glass walls provided, hesitating for a second before nodding to confirm Sehun’s suspicions. He didn’t think Sehun could be that straightforward or intuitive, for that matter. Or maybe he was just too obvious. Kris really didn’t know. Sehun let out a long sigh, staring at the ground for a while. He knew that already, so why did he still feel so…heavy inside?

- I like her, too, - He finally said, before suddenly shooting straight up. - No, wait, I love her. We’ve been friends for years and I don’t even know how or when, but at one point, I just fell for her. I confessed and she agreed to give me a chance…

- I know. – Kris answered nonchalantly, barely showing any expression.

- Y-you do? How?

 

Sehun was lost for words. He didn’t expect Kris to know about their somewhat complicated new relationship status. They hadn’t told anyone, not even his own Luhan-hyung. Sehun was happy about it and wanted nothing more than to show Amber off, but what exactly was he going to show off? Nothing was sure at that point. They just agreed to see each other.

 

- I heard your conversation outside the party. I’m sorry I couldn’t congratulate you two.- Kris replied. He wasn’t intending to hide anything if Sehun asked. If there was the way to get out of this awkwardness between the both of them, it was with absolute sincerity.

 

- So you’ve been avoiding her all this time because of me? – Sehun asked behind his gritted teeth.

 

- Isn’t it for the best? – Kris leaned back in his chair with his arms folded, looking at nothing in particular. Sehun scoffed, feeling the anger building up in his stomach.

 

- You don’t trust me, do you? You thought I’d get pissed off at you just because we like the same girl? That I’d really throw away years and years of friendship just for that? I guess all that talk about being brothers was all BS too, right? I’m not twelve, hyung. I’m not that petty.

 

 Sehun couldn’t hold it in anymore. He knew it wasn’t easy for either of them to talk about their feelings so openly, but the thought that his hyung, the man who he thought of as a real brother, not trusting him and becoming cautious around him smacked Sehun right in the face. And it hurt.

 

- You and Amber are both important to me. I refuse to trade one for the other, god damn it!

 

Kris cursed unintentionally. He was at a lost. He knew he should’ve just stopped himself when he was still able to, but he didn’t. He couldn’t. And now, they were both torn between love and friendship. Kris couldn’t do anything anymore. He was powerless. He could only try to find a way not to further ruin their friendship. And for the first time throughout the ordeal, he stared up at Sehun. The hurt flashing through the younger man’s eyes was immediate and noticeable.

 

- That’s…that’s not what I meant. I was just so confused and always unsure about my feelings. I never could’ve imagined in a million years falling for a girl this fast and hard, and that you’d be in love with her too. You knew her first, you understand her more. I know it’s stupid and selfish but once I fell for her, I couldn’t stop no matter how many times I tried. I was embarrassed and I didn’t know how to act around you two so I kept my distance…

 

Kris left his explanation undone, not really sure what to say next. It was a situation that he never thought he would have to go through. He hardly flinched though, even when the younger one scoffed incredulously.

 

- If you thought I’d be grateful to you for trying to ‘give way’ because of me, then you obviously still don’t know me, hyung, – Sehun said, feeling deeply offended. - Amber isn’t some kind of toy to be passed around between us. She has her own feelings, too, and I have my advantages over you. Don’t treat her like she’s the center of your world one moment then act like she doesn’t exist the next. It confuses her and she doesn’t deserve it.

Kris tightened his jaw on realizing he was being selfish. All his effort about trying not to make things difficult for Sehun and Amber were all nonsense and just to push the situation to a worse point. He didn’t even think about how it would affect the two’s feelings about his changing attitude.

- If you love her, show her then.

 

Sehun heaved a heavy sigh, remembering how bothered Amber was with Kris’ weird behavior. Was he sick? Or else did she do something to offend him? Why did he seem to mad at her? Amber, as usual didn't reveal much of her confusion. However, looking at the fact that she more than once asked him and even Kris’ secretary with questions about him, Sehun knew she did secretly concern  about the huyng and he could do nothing but try to comfort her. Maybe he was too tired. Maybe he’s busy with work. The younger man tried to sugar-coat what Amber had feared in regards to Kris’ sudden distance between them. His hyung was in-love with the same girl he was in-love with, and he was trying to distance himself as to not hurt anyone, but Sehun knew that all his efforts were in vain.

He was no longer alone in the race to win Amber’s heart, but he didn’t consider Kris as his enemy, but more of rival. Kris had as much right as he did to love Amber. The fact that another wonderful man was present trying to take her heart just as he was had only made things more interesting and Amber even more precious.

 

- Did she say something? – Kris blinked rapidly, couldn’t help but ask. He was dying of curiosity. – I just…need some more time. I want to make sure that this isn’t just some kind of temporary puppy love crush and that it will last. I don’t want to enter the scene with shallow feelings while you’re here, completely sure of your feelings for her. I don’t want to ruin it for you two.

 

Kris, for the first time throughout the whole ordeal, finally showed a small hint of what he was feeling through his never-changing expression. The older man furrowed his brow, only ever-slightly, but Sehun didn’t fail to notice. His anger was replaced with a sudden weird excitement. His Kris-hyung had always given the impression of ‘The Perfect Man’, doing everything above excellence. It was the first time he had seen Kris so…human. A human who made mistakes and was anxious when it came to matters of the heart. So this is how Kris hyung with an unrequited love is like, Sehun thought, finding it intriguing. He tried hard to suppress the small smile playing on his lips.

 

- Yeah, she did ask me about your sudden mood changes and I made up a touching reason for you so she wouldn’t think my hyung was some psycho who was PMS-ing or something. You’re thankful right? – Sehun noticed how his hyung was completely not amused by his small joke. Sehun sighed, feeling a wet blanket over them.

 

- So…have you finished thinking over your feelings?

 

- She turned my whole world upside down, Sehun. I was a control freak; doing everything exactly according to plan. And I didn’t plan to fall for her at first. She just casted mysterious spell on me, making me feel simply safe and sound everytimes I have her besides.  I kept telling myself to get rid of this stupid little crush, but I failed. For the first time ever, I failed in something. And before I knew it, I started doing even more stupid things for her, - Kris rubbed his temples. – I’m so pathetic. – He rubbed the back of his neck, feeling kind of glad that there was someone who he could open up to. Truth be told, Kris was at boiling point. He thought he would definitely go crazy if he couldn’t share his worries with someone, even if it was his new love rival. He felt as if a part of the heavy weight resting on his shoulders were lifted.

 

- Welcome to the world of illusion and despair of a one side love, hyung. I’m a sunbae in this department and my advice for you is to stop using your brain. Your IQ of 190 won’t help you here. – Sehun finally let out the laughter he was trying so hard to control, which made Kris even more embarrassed. The older man buried his face in his hands to hide his redden face without knowing that it was useless because his ears were red, too.

 

- Good luck, hyung. I won’t ask further but if I were in your shoes, I’d immediately know she’s not someone you can look over. It’s not every day that you meet another Amber Liu, - As Sehun’s laughter died out and the mood turned serious once more. - And just so you know, hyung, I’m not some saint who just freely lets every guy who’s in-love with the same girl I’m in-love with do anything they want, but it’s you we’re talking about here. If it wasn’t you, hyung, I would kick his in a heartbeat, no questions asked. It doesn’t mean that I’m letting her go without a fight either, but…if in the end, it’s not me, then it has to be you.

 

Kris nodded, feeling glad that the situation wasn’t as bad as he afraid. Sehun could have hated him for this but he didn’t. Sehun grew up well, he thought. He became an impressive and generous man who knew how to be considerate of everyone’s feelings around him. The older man stood from his seat and pulled the younger one into a bear hug. Once again, he wished Sehun was his real younger brother by blood. Luhan was very fortunate.

 

- Thank you, for understanding me, and I’m…really sorry. She properly doesn’t know but just when I thought there was nothing left for me to live for, she pulled me out of the dark corner I once imprisoned myself in. She unintentionally changed me in so many different ways that even I can’t comprehend exactly how she did it. After my dad passed away, Amber, Luan and you were the ones I depended on. I owe my life to all three of you. – Kris patted the younger guy’s back.

 

- Alright, alright, hyung, don’t be cheesy. Luhan-hyung is more than enough for me.

Sehun rolled his eyes, masking the true warmth he felt from Kris’ words. Amber was priceless for him, but also to Kris. After all that had happened throughout his hyung’s life, he knew what he needed most was someone who could rescue him from his loneliness, and if that person turned out to be Amber, Sehun would feel wrong to take her away from him. In the end, he wanted Amber to be the one to decide who she truly loved.

 

- But this doesn’t mean I’m letting her go without a fight. We’re rivals now, hyung. Cheesiness is highly forbidden. - Sehun looked at his hyung with a straight face after they ended their embrace, only to be met with chuckles and a constant shaking of head from Kris, who was obviously amused by him. Kris made a mental note to be cautious of his cute, little rival.

 

- Ah, I forgot to tell you. Someone from Sky Diamond kept calling Amber and me. He said he wanted to meet personally, but we turned down the invitation. We all know what that meeting’s for anyway, - Sehun informed Kris, who didn’t really appear to be bothered by tat piece of information. – We have to be careful, hyung. They’re starting to play dirty again.

 

- Playing dirty got them to where they are now. I’m sure this kind of thing doesn’t faze them anymore, nor should we let it faze us. – Kris patted Sehun’s back, telling the younger guy to ease up. – I’m not as idiotic as to let them walk all over me, Sehun, so don’t worry. I have a plan as well, but right now Amber needs to rest. Take her home, will you? You both look exhausted.

 

- Yeah, maybe after I feed her something. She hasn’t had dinner yet. Next time, hyung, if you’re concerned about her well-being, take care of her yourself, alright? -

 

They bid their goodbyes when Kris left the office and Sehun made his way toward Amber’s office. He settled himself on the chair next to Amber’s, leaning his head on the table so that he could face the sleeping beauty. Amber suffered from insomnia, which seemed to get worse whenever she was under a lot of pressure. In such instances, the only way she could sleep was if she was completely drained of energy. It was more like fainting rather than actually sleeping and resting.

 

Sehun continued to stare at her gorgeous features, lost in his thoughts. Her sleeping face, although still beautiful, seemed to lack peace. Even in her sleep, she was troubled. “Amber, why is it so hard to love you? First it was that Henry guy, and now Kris-hyung wants in too. What will I do if you fall for him?” He whispered to her, or more to himself, as he let his eyes trace every feature on her small face. Putting a feather like kiss on her temple, Sehun took in her lily scent before gently lifting her up in bridal style as, not forgetting to get her bag.  He decided just to bring her home instead of waking her up from her deep slumber. He didn’t know what tomorrow would bring, but at least for that night, he wanted to enjoy the small happiness of having her in his own embrace.