Chapter 16

Take me as I am

 

It had been several days since Luhan's family officially kicked Sky Diamond out of their system and everything about business went unbelievably smooth. Clearly it was not a good sight for Sky Diamond's future when even a day before the news their controversy being widely surfaced on newspapers, half of the industry had already heard about it. While Kris Jewelry's stores at most major shopping malls would be expanded for their upcoming exhibition. So here was Kris on his way heading to their center store in Gangnam for an appointment with s Amber, who took highest responsibilities about the new collection including the retailed store's layout and display.
 

She headed to the place from the office while Kris departed separately from Luhan's place while along the way; he rewound his late hang out with the guy. After several alcohol shots, a little of their signature bickering, his best friend finally told him he had already heard about his little love affair. It didn't come to Kris so surprisingly. Sehun totally could tell his huyng. It just was very odd to see Luhan, who was never in a predicament saying anything in his life, struggled to communicate at that time.

 

"Do you remember we used to envy Yeonhee noona and Changmin huyng a lot for the chemistry between them, back when we're in college?"

 

Luhan suddenly asked him while constantly wiped hands on his clothed upper thighs. His hands would sweat whenever he worried. 

 

"Even before they confirmed their relationship, I had a feeling that they were born only for each other. Everything about them screamed that, from the way noona held back his shirt to whisper something, to the way huyng looked at her. But only you envied them, not us. You really liked noona back then, am I right?"

 

He chuckled. Luhan had been really down with his hopeless first love with the beautiful noona they met in high school, whom Changmin huyng by chance in an undefinable relationship with. During all the years of high school, between them were always somewhat floating in the middle of friendship and love, they hadn't figured it out. Only when they got into collage did the two of them make a move and become a couple. It took Luhan almost a summer to recover from his heart attack when noona was engaged to Changmin huyng.

 

"Yah! Why bring me here? And it was very long ago" The shorter friend almost choked with his gulp of whiskey and blurted out, making Kris laugh in excitement. Apparently this was always his sore point.

 

“They will get marriage next year when noona finishes her residence at the hospital. Jealous much?" Kris smug when he dug further on Luhan's embarrassment and enjoyed the small happiness of taking the upper hand in a conversation with the friend. Though, it didn't last very long before the smile died down on his face. "They're only two years older than us and are settling down. What have we been doing all those time, Luhan?"  And he took his glass, swallowed the liquid, feeling bitterness on the tip of his tongue.

 

"I may sound like a jerk, but Kris, the reason why I bring up noona and huyng here is because I want to talk about Amber and Sehun. I meet them quite a lot outside work field and they have that spark, the spark that noona and huyng radiate when they're with each other, the spark of two people who in many ways fall for each other...." He took a second to inhale a long breath with a waver in his gaze at the friend; afraid of what he was going to say later would hurt his friend's ego. Then he squeezed Kris's shoulder and finished what he had begun. "If Amber and Sehun had been in a shallow relationship, I wouldn't interfere but they aren't. So, not as Sehun's huyng, but as
your friend, I have to say this to you. Emotion won't grow up if we don't nurse it. Take it slow and back off, Krisso that you won't be hurt so bad."

 

 

 

Kris sat motionless in a quarter of minute, chewing his bottom lips. He didn't get mad at Luhan for discouraging him. A part of him was upset about pushing Luhan into a difficult situation. Another tried to get used to the fact that people would see him with his unrequited love \miserable. His sight never moved from the crystal glass on the counter as he reply the friend's sincere.

 

 

"I met them a lot at work, too, and I also see their spark there. I just can't back off, Luhan. I walked too far."

 

 

“Somewhere, BoA noona is laughing at you. I never can image you being like this."  Luhan signed as he poured up both of their glasses and remarked. They clinked the glass while Kris smirked at the friend.

 

 

"Said the man who called off his arranged engagement with Kim Taeyeon. If I were your dad, I would kill you."

 

 

Luhan shot a flaming glare at Kris before gulping his glass. That was the most rebellious act that the son had ever performed for his parents.

 

 

"What did I do wrong? She's an old friend asking for help, she loves another man. And I swear back then Naeun was the world for me. I didn't want both of them to take revenge on me for the rest of their life. Taeyeon should have a happy ending and so do I and Nauen, so do you, and Sehun, and Amber. I don't want to see any one of us to get hurt." 

 

 

He let his eyes downcast and lowered his voice, rather like he was whispering to himself. None of them should get hurt. But anyhow they would. He and Naeun broke up just a year after that and it took Luhan quite a long time to move on. Once in a while, he wished to get back to fifteen when all of them were so simple and innocent, so carefree and happy. However, pains were also a part of life which they needed to be experienced, although most of them wouldn't be so sweet to taste.

 

 

"We should stop here. Talking about unrequited love, ex-girlfriends and ex-fiancée is really... unhealthy." He smiled faintly and shook his head.

                                                                                           

 

 

Kris walked into the luxury store as he looked around, taking in every details of it. Staffs, customers, merchandise displaying and such. The double floor store was a nice touch on the busy Cheungdamdong street. The building went after French architecture with large glassy windows, high ceiling, splendid light and wood interiors, leaving it a cozy yet sophisticated feel for the high class target market.

 

 Kris remarked the store's manager with mistakes that a young staff made when she cleaned an emerald necklace, finger prints on the glass boxes containing the samples. It was about year-end shopping season and their income was raising fast with the increasing number of customers coming to their stores every day. The place should be flawless at all time. 

 

 

He found Amber there at the wedding jewelry zone, had already arrived and was talking to a man. Kris found the face was a familiar one. He looked a little thinner but more muscular than the first time they met but Kris could tell right away that guy was the mysterious person he met in London, the guy he mistook to be Amber's boyfriend.  Looking at them that night, they surely had a close connection but apart from correcting about their relationship status, Amber never brought up about that guy again.

 

 

Kris looked at them from a distance, being indecisive that whether he should keep a distance or just join them there. They talked casually. Amber held loosely both of her arms across her torso, laughing while telling something with the guy while he tilted his head and listened with a grin. They stopped chatting halfway when a girl walked in.

 

The girls bowed as he introduced them to each other. When the new girl clutched to his arm, claiming their closeness and Amber began to stiffen her face, Kris thought he could get into the conversation.

 

 

A ray of relief flashed on Amber's face when she found Kris was spreading his long legs walking across the room toward them. She would never tell him how grateful she was to see him coming right in time, saving her from quite a difficult case.

 

Not so fluently but Henry had managed to show his fiancée to her whom he would get marriage with next month. The girl named Tiffany Hwang was indeed a beauty with red lip make up and long wavy bronze hair. Her petite body was wrapped perfectly in a lace collar dress. The ruby color material unfold gracefully below slender waistline until it touched her knee, giving the girl a classy and gorgeous  look. Though, her eye smile immediately lost its sweet aura when she got to know the lady she was introduced with was the infamous ex fiancée of Henry Lau, her future husband. The air would be much easier for Tiffany to breathe if Henry hadn't been so struggling to get over the shadow of Amber for the past years before finalizing their engagement with a wedding. 

 

In the preparation of the event, of all the time, of all the place, they had to find their wedding bands at the place where Amber having business at. Amber surely no longer held any kind of grudge to Henry , but seeing him with his soon to be wife was a very awkward situation that she had never seen herself involved in. Luckily, she had a company.

 

Henry recognized Kris right at the first glance and was very surprised that how coincident she and Kris would become co-workers.

 

 

"So you will be getting married with Ms Tiffany Hwang here. Congratulation! We will discount fifteen percent for every item you purchase at this store. Take it as my wedding gift for you and your fiancé, Henry." 

 

 

Kris shook the shorter guy's hand as he plastered a polite smile that he only used for business purpose, while his present made Henry starlet.

 

"No, no, no...It's very kind of you but you don't have to do that. We'll pay in full amount."

 

"I'm very upset if you don't accept. It's only a gift from friends, me and Amber."

 

And he flashed another professional smile when holding Amber's shoulder and tried to keep her in their talk. Since the other girl had come, she talked less and for most of the time in the conversation, only smiled silently.

 

"You should take it, Kris is a friend. It will also be pleasure if you two wear our items in your wedding. I think many of them perfectly suit Tiffany's elegance."

 

Tiffany Hwang looked dull until Amber mentioned her name. Kris noticed she secretly checked out Amber with a stare that was rather hostile. Apparently those girls weren't so comfortable with each other, even right on their first encounter.

 

“So in return, I hope Mr Wu and Amber can take time to come to our wedding. I'll send the invitation over to your place." Tiffany lifted the corner of her lips  up to form a smile as she eyed them back and forth.

 

 

"Amber and Mr Wu are very busy with their upcoming work. They released new collection next month. I'm afraid they can't come. We shouldn't bother them." Henry blurted out as he seemed to be frightened at his future wife's suggestion. This intrigued an idea in Kris' mind and he made a guess that Henry and Amber might be in a past romance relationship. It explained why Amber ran away from him that night, why she was unable to appear in his wedding even though they were close, why the tensed atmosphere fogged up among the three of them.  

 

 

"Oppa, at least we should send the invitations. They may come if they have time. Right, Amber?" Tiffany insisted as she looked right into Amber's eyes. "Just give me your office's address and number. I'll check later when the invitations are sent to you and Mr Wu." 

 

 

"Alright, I'll give them to you later and see if I can come. A staff will give it to you after several minutes." Amber heaved a sigh as she forced a smile back to Tiffany and tugged on Kris' arm. "Talk to you later, Henry. Have a nice time shopping here. Now excuse me that I have to take my leave, for an appointment with Kris. You know, this is my work place. So, goodbye then."

 

 

And she turned her back, walking to the stair leading to where she supposed to work with Kris. He also quickly excused himself and followed Amber up-stair. 

 

 

One afternoon several days later, Amber received a call from Tiffany, asking for a couple of minutes for her to hand the invitations directly since she was driving pass Kris' Jewelry office. Amber got a subtle uneasy feeling about the girl's intend and wasn't so pleased with the idea of being with Tiffany alone under any circumstance. Though, when Tiffany insisted to meet and she was really near the place, Amber was left with no other choice excepted for promising to see her in the small park across the building. 

 

Tiffany settled herself on a bench right at the border of the park and stood up when she saw Amber's figure walking to her place. She gave Amber the invitations with her name and Kris' written on light blue envelope, clearly a sensible choice of the wedding planner.

 

"Honestly saying, I don't think I can come. Congratulation on your wedding! I wish you and Henry happy ever after." 

 

"Actually I don't come all the way here for begging you to be at my wedding. I do for having a talk with you. So, let me clear my point. Can you just disappear like you have done for all these years? To New York, London or Paris, I don't give a damn. Just get away from Henry and me. Do you understand?" 

 

Tiffany raised her voice at the end, almost yelled at Amber while the latter girl was shocked at the sudden change on her attitude. Although she understood that no nice relationship could exist between her and Henry's future wife, what Tiffany had said was way too harsh. She wasn't a clingy former fiancée to Henry and they indeed went completely separate ways after the break up. 

 

 

"Not until you give me an acceptable reason why I should." Amber replied simply and looked fiercely into the shorter girl's eyes. 

 

Tiffany beautiful face twisted in anger. For three years she engaged with Henry, there was no second that Henry stopped thinking about Amber. It was very annoying because many people in her circle got into arrange marriage and still lived happily after that. While she was here stuck with a miserable guy who saved all his love and regret for his ex-fiancée. Though, she trusted in herself with confidence and patience, that she would change the guy, that no one could ever deny Tiffany if she flashed her candy eye-smile, she believed.  

 

However, Tiffany fell for the guy first. The more she got to know Henry, the more she wished to be Amber, the girl that he yearned for, the one he could not get over. Seeing Henry suffering, Tiffany knew she was no more of a friend to him. Although he was honest with her all the time, his honesty hurt her very bad. He hid nothing about the story behind their separation and spent his time secretly looking for Amber. Henry left her with an open option that she could free herself from the engagement at any time but Tiffany chose to stay with this tired-some love. As long as Henry still put her into consideration, she still have chance to replace Amber where Henry had put her at. 

 

One day several months ago, the day she had been waiting for finally came. Henry came back from a long business trip in London and told her about how he had found Amber, how he realized that there was nothing left for him and Amber. And Tiffany gladly suggested the wedding that should have taken place a couple years ago. She couldn't let Henry go for another time. Her family and friends also began to suspect about her long run engagement. Tiffany imagined people talking behind her back, that Henry forever didn't belong to her, that her engagement would shatter like glass and sand, that Henry would leave at last. The wedding saved her from harmful things that the birds and wings whispered to her ears. Everything was supposed to be perfect if Amber hadn't appeared again. 

 

She felt like being insane. Blood ran upstream in her veins and Tiffany felt herself threw a slap on Amber's face. She didn't plan to do it at first but she couldn't hold her anger anymore. And if that was what needed to keep her happiness, she would be willing to do without regret. 

 

"Our wedding being delayed until today is all because of you. He never can let go of you. God damn it! You don't know what I've been getting through to have Henry. I can't let you ruin everything again. Get out of my way!" 

 

Tiffany balls tight fists with her hands, feeling herself unable to hold back from crying. Admitting her failure was a sharp pain. She felt like a loser.

 

Amber held her cheek which was inflaming for the power that Tiffany had used. She never could believe Tiffany could be so rude. The girl looked too harmless and dignified to be a person that could yell and slap another one's face. Amber tried to even her breath and voice in rage. This was what she hated the most, getting involved in a nonsense mess. She might give Tiffany a slap back, but when she saw fat, round tear drops rolling downstream on the other girl's face, her heart soften. 

 

After all, just like her, Tiffany was a woman in love with all of her fear and sorrow. 

 

"Henry never tells me that, but for what happened in the past, I can see why he did do. Still I don't think that I did anything so wrong that deserved to be treated like this. Listen to me..." 

 

"Really? You don't deserve it, do you?" Tiffany high pitch tone cut off Amber where she was about to explain. She saw Tiffany rose up her hand, properly to land on her face again. She mentally prepared herself to defense. Thus, she didn't have to. A large hand held Tiffany wrist and roughly threw it away from her. Amber heard a familiar voice and turned her head to see Kris right behind. 

 

"Back off, Tiffany. This is very rude of you." 

 

"No. You back off. This is none of your business." Tiffany hissed as she massaged her wrist and and shot back. 

 

"Whatever, I don't care. But you are not allowed to use violence to anybody. Isn't it clear?" 

 

He shot a flaming glare to Tiffany as he pulled Amber behind his back and stood in between them. Technically, this was nothing to do with him. But he wouldn't let them continue talking if Tiffany was still in this condition. He caught their sight when getting out of his car and decided to come say hi to Tiffany. The girl had purchased a large amount of jewelry for their wedding as the store's manager had informed. 

 

Clearly he chose the wrong timing. Walking closer and he found them in a cat fight. Tiffany yelled at Amber and seeing from afar, his heart fell astray when she slapped Amber hard and was about to hit Amber for another time. The girl definitely had problem with anger controlling. 

 

"Now calm yourself before talking to Amber again. I'm right here and don't ever think that you have the right to hit her." 

 

Kris crossed his arms as he watched Tiffany sobbing and tried to breathe normally. Amber silently tugged in his hem of jacket, signaling that she was alright and stepped forward to face Tiffany, who was in a crying mess. Hesitatingly, she wrapped her arms around Tiffany's shivering shoulders which earned Kris a slight shock. "Women." He thought to himself while shaking his head and walked to the nearby bench, giving space to both of them. 

 

Keeping herself patting on Tiffany's trembling back, Amber tried to console the girl. 

 

"Give Henry a credit, Tiffany. For all of the time I've known him, he himself never breaks a promise. Even when he called off the engagement with me, it was because he was forced to do so. And our love has faded with time. I can tell that he couldn't get over me all because he felt guilty that he left me. We figured it out. Whatever happened, it is the past. And he chooses you over me eventually. If you love him, trust him this time." 

 

"I know it... That Henry is very kind, that he is responsible and trustworthy and loyal. But...but... I'm afraid, Amber, that you come along and take him away again." Tiffany mumbled into her supposed to be enemy's shoulder. After all she had done, she felt herself so small. 

 

"Don't worry. I'm with someone else now and I love him just like you love Henry. As the Henry I know, I believe he wouldn't have married you if he weren't in love with you. Give a credit to yourself, too." 

 

Tiffany slowly pulled herself out of Amber's embrace and held her head low until she finished wiping off her tears with a blue handkerchief. She fixed herself before looking up to Amber. The allergic fog in her eyes had gone but she still couldn't see Amber in friendly light. 

 

"Now I get why it took him so long to forget you. I'm sorry for being rude but I won't regret what I was saying. If he screwed up our wedding for you, I will never forget and forgive anyone of you, for all my life. And because of our relationship, we shouldn't be friend, although I think you're ... very kind and patient." Tiffany smiled faintly as she took out her car key and swung it between their face. She finished what she needed to talk.  "I hope we won't see each other so often. Never again is the best. Because I am a generous wife, of course Henry is allowed to see you but I believe that you understand how I feel and denied him. I'm really thankful if you can help me with it. " 

 

"I'll see how you return my help. However, my wish for your wedding is sincere." Amber giggled as she found Tiffany was indeed cute, and she kept her grace well. "Goodbye then." 

 

Tiffany left while walking passed Kris with a nod. Amber released the tension on her shoulders as she dragged her feet to come take a seat beside Kris on the bench. 

 

"This is so embarrassing. But thanks for your help." She palmed her face and sighed into her hands. Kris seemed to have something mysterious with Henry and the mess he came with. “I’m going in now. I've been going out for so long. Sehun probably will be worried." 

 

She was about to stand up when Kris held her wrist and pulled her back to where she was sitting. Questions plastered all over her face before Kris cupped his large hand on her cheek where Tiffany had slapped her.

 

"Your face swells here. Don't you feel that it's hot? Tiffany's strength is no joke." 

 

Yes, Amber did feel hot. Not only for the pain but also for Kris' sudden touch. 

 

"Stay here. I'll go find some ice very quick. If you come in with me now, I believe Sehun will scratch my face." Kris took back his hand as stared for a while at Amber before he left with a grin tugged on lips. "Why do I always have to do something with your face every time, Amber?"                

 

  

 

 

 

 A/N. Happy Valentine's everyone, whether you're in love or in hurt ^^ This chappie is a little distracted from our OTPs, but hope you guys still like it. I'm sorry, because Ms Author is a really depressed these day T.T  Next chappie will be all about them and will arrive very soon I promise.