Chapter Seventeen

Different Galaxies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Seventeen

 

Summer ended just like that, and my last year of college began. I was constantly wrapped up in school work, but I tried my best to still make time for my friends and family. 

Eventually, I realized that I was living in constant fear of my mother. She wasn’t doing anything, but for some reason, that almost seemed worse. Not knowing what she was planning and just waiting for something, anything, made me extremely paranoid. 

I had told my brother about it, but there was not much he could do. I think he also felt worried for me too, since my mother was acting unlike her normal self. 

“I was thinking of maybe moving out next year,” I told Joonmyun one day over dinner. “I could just rent my own place.”

“I don’t know if our parents would go for that,” he reasoned. 

I bit my lip, angrily stabbing a piece of green bean with my fork. “I saved all of the money from my internship. I could get a roommate, maybe?” I considered. “I should have enough money to last me until I got a job.”

Joonmyun studied me over his wine glass. ”Naeun, are you sure you know what you’re saying? The worst case scenario in that course of action is that you get disowned. Everything as you know it, is going to change. I know you don’t take advantage of our lifestyle as much as the rest of us but there are still a lot of things you take for granted.”

“I know, I know!” I said immediately. “It’s just…worst case scenario, like you said. I’m worried.”

Joonmyun sighed. “I guess we really can’t choose who we love,” he muttered. 

“It’s not Sehun’s fault that we’re so complicated, you know? He hasn’t done anything wrong.”

“By mom’s book, he also hasn’t done anything right.”

“Oppa…”

“I’ll support you completely,” Joonmyun interrupted. “Mom might keep the old family money from you, but I’m CEO now, right? I can put you on the company payroll if I want, there’s nothing she can do. I think Dad was thinking the same thing; I think he wants me to be there for you in case something happens.”

It was nice to know that my dad also kind of had my back. As the second child, and a daughter at that, I was expected to just marry some eligible heir like Lu Han or Baekhyun to form partnerships. The fact that I was going to college and planning on actually getting a job to earn my own wage was already a deviation from the norm. Most girls in my position probably will never bother getting a job. And Sehun? Sehun was far, far from the norm. 

“What if you moved in with Sehun?” Joonmyun suggested.

I stared at him, shocked that he had even suggested a thing. “I think – I mean – wouldn’t it be moving too fast?”

Joonmyun shrugged. “I’ve seen the way you guys are with each other, Naeun. Maybe you guys should rent an apartment and move out together.”

“I’ve never – we’ve never talked about it,” I mumbled. Was it a possibility? Did Sehun even want that?

 

 

At the garage, Sehun was the youngest. The others bullied him like close hyungs would, but also doted on him. 

“He acts like a brat around here since he’s the maknae but with you, he turns into a mature gentleman,” Kris observed one day. We were watching Sehun and Tao playing around with a water hose, and Tao’s shrill, girlish screams at getting wet echoed around the garage. 

“Does he?”

“But you know, he’s my only brother,” Kris continued. “I like seeing him so happy and settled. To be completely honest, I think you guys are a little young for the kind of feelings you guys have but, who knows? Sometimes first loves can be forever.”

“Am I Sehun’s first love?”

Kris gave me a look. “Of course you are. Sehun’s never shown interest in much of anything before you.”

I blushed, turning away to hide my smile. 

“I heard yours was Kim Kai,” Kris teased, poking me on the shoulder. 

“Not Kim Kai. It was Kim Jongin – there is a difference,” I sniped back.  

Kris just laughed. “Well, I hope my Sehunnie can measure up.”

“Are you guys talking about me?” Sehun was advancing toward us, hose in hand. 

“No,” I called, immediately ducking for cover. 

“Naeun was just telling me know great she thought Kim Kai was,” Kris added. He wrapped his arm around my waist and used me as a shield, rendering me unable to run away. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter