Chapter Thirteen

Different Galaxies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Thirteen

When I woke up the next morning, I was just glad that it was a Saturday and I didn’t have to go to work. In fact, as I curled up under my covers, I didn’t want to even get out of bed. I lied to Joonmyun and told him that I was sick, planning to stay in bed for the rest of the day. Heartbreak counted as being sick, right? Joonmyun brought some breakfast into my room, and I was just finishing that when Yixing came in. 

“Breakfast in bed? Did you make this?” Yixing asked, snagging a piece of waffle. 

“Joonmyun oppa made it,” I mumbled. “I’m sick.”

Yixing just patted me on the shoulder. “I umm...talked to Sehun today. He says you’re avoiding him.”

“My phone...I forgot to charge it last night,” I shrugged. “But even if it wasn’t, I really don’t want to talk to him right now.”

“He seemed really upset, Naeun. He says he doesn’t want to take a break.” Yixing picked up the tray on my lap and moved it over to the bedside table. “And you don’t really want a break either, do you? Maybe you should should just talk it out.” 

I sighed, crawling back under the covers. “I don’t want a break, but I think we need a break.” It was something I had been thinking about all last night. If Sehun didn’t want to date someone like me, with my background, or if he wasn’t able to trust me, then maybe we were better off not - I tried not to think about that. 

“Are you sure? You’re my best friend, Naeun, and I’ve grown to like Sehun too. It kills me to see you guys both hurting so much.”

“I want Sehun to be sure of what he wants,” I said. “Maybe he should date a ‘normal’ girl and see if that’s what he prefers.”

Yixing didn’t try to push it after that. 

I had the weekend to mope around the house and on Monday, I put on a brave face and went back to work as usual. I must have been a good actor, because no one suspected a thing. 

Joonmyun was first to find out. He rounded on me at breakfast one morning, giving me a worried look but keeping his distance.

“So Naeun, I was going to plan a little get together for a late celebration of Baekhyun’s graduation so I called Sehun to invite him…”

I paused mid chew, suddenly not feeling so hungry. I gingerly put down by fork. 

“Anyway, do you want to talk about it? Sehun  said you might not want to see him because he did something bad? You did seem kind of down last weekend.”

“I don’t really want to talk about it,” I muttered down to my pancakes. There was a moment of silence, and I wondered if Joonmyun was going to push the subject. But he didn’t. Instead, he reached over to pile more fresh strawberries onto my plate.

“Your favorites,” he muttered, giving me all of the strawberries from his own plate. “Here, have them.”

I really did have the world’s sweetest brother.  

“Oppa, I don’t care if Sehun goes to your party. You can invite him. You’re friends with him now, and Baekhyun is too. It’s only fair that way. He should come if he wants.”

Joonmyun sighed, giving me a long look. “You know that I’m always here for you, if you ever want to talk.”

“Sure, sure,” I gave his arm a soft squeeze in acknowledgement.

Sehun stopped trying to call after a few days. I think he realized that what I needed was time, so he backed off. However, he would still send me a text every morning and a text every night, reminding me that he still loved me and was thinking of me.

 

 


The very next week, I started a new project for the company and started to keep myself busy. If Lu Han noticed my sudden over eagerness to work, he didn’t mention anything. It wasn’t until almost another week later when he found out. 

“Going home early?” he asked, when he noticed me packing up as he passed by my office. He grinned at me. “Date with your boyfriend?”

I stopped packing up, putting my laptop temporary back on the table. “We’re on a break,” I replied. 

Lu Han opened his mouth in shock, and then closed it. “I umm…” He paused, as if rethinking if he should continue. “Naeun-ah, I don’t want you to take it the wrong way…but this may be my only chance.”

I looked up, surprised. “What?” 

“I like you, as more than just a friend. I think you’re smart and beautiful and sweet, and I’d really just like a chance to take you out on a date.”

I studied Lu Han for a moment with a tilt of the head. This was why Sehun and I were on a break, right? To see other people and decide if we were right for each other. Lu Han was also smart and handsome and so, so sweet. My mother would definitely approve of him, that was for sure. Still, the thought of going out with Lu Han just didn’t seem right. I knew what I wanted, and it hadn’t changed.  

“I can’t,” I replied softly, fingers clenching at my bag. “ Sehun and I ...I’m not ready to give up on us yet.”

Lu Han looked disappointed, but nodded nonetheless. 

“I’m sorry,” I added. 

“Don’t be,” he replied. “I hope you guys work out whatever it is. I just want you to be happy.”

 

 

By the time Joonmyun’s little celebration rolled around, I was missing Sehun like crazy. I told myself that I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter