Chapter Twelve

Different Galaxies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Twelve


When Lu Han’s father reached out to me at the end of the semester with an opportunity to intern at his company, I was beyond excited. I had submitted my resume a few months ago through an internship fair at school, and hadn’t expected to get a reply since most companies preferred interns to be graduating students. Although I knew that I would eventually probably end up working for my family company, it was still a chance of a lifetime to intern for such a prestigious organization. 

“I’m going to be interning in the marketing department, of course,” I explained to Sehun over dinner. “I’ll be getting some hands on experience, working with his team to market and sell the software. Lu Han also said he’ll teach me some basic coding. That’s always a useful skill to have.”

“Lu Han is going to teach you coding? Alone?” Sehun repeated, not pleased at all. “Isn’t he an engineer?”

“He’s a double major in computer engineering and computer science,” I explained. 

“Are you sure your mother didn’t set this up for you?”

For a moment, I was frozen. The thought had never occurred to me. Would my mother do something like that? Probably. But then, I was angry.

“What, you think I couldn’t have landed this internship based on my own abilities?” I snapped. Suddenly, the food in front of me looked much less appetizing.

“I didn’t mean - of course you can, Naeun,” Sehun quickly backtracked. He reached out to grab my hand on the table and gave me a soft squeeze. “I’m sorry about what I said. You’re smart and beautiful, and I believe you can do anything you set your mind on.”

It was hard for me to stay mad at Sehun when he was looking at me with those eyes. I relented and slowly laced our fingers together, returning the gentle squeeze. 

“I was just looking forward to spending the summer with you,” he continued with a cute pout. “But now you’ll be so busy.”

“You have to work anyway,” I replied with a sigh. “We’ll still get to spend a lot of time together.”

Still, the thought lingered in my mind for the next few weeks. Was it possible? I really didn’t want to get this position through anything related to my family. I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life hiding behind my family name. 

The thought bothered me all the way up to the first day of the internship, when Lu Han came down to greet me. Again, I was surprised by how young and handsome he looked in his suit. 

“It’s nice to see you again,” he greeted me with a warm handshake. “Dad wanted me to show you around today.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to burden you with - ”

“It’s alright. It’s like getting a day off, so I’m not complaining,” he laughed. “Besides, I get the spend time with such a beautiful girl.” Lu Han’s eyes twinkled as he gave me a sweet smile.   
I couldn’t help but blush as I followed him into the elevator. 

Lu Han took me on a tour of the building, and then we took a lunch break, when he showed me all the restaurants nearby. By the time we got back and he showed me my new office, I felt like I had gotten to know him quite well. 

Enough so that as he was bidding me goodbye, I called him back to ask the question.

“Lu Han ssi? Did my mother...did my mother set up this internship for me?”

Lu Han paused at the door, brows furrowing. 

“Please tell me the truth,” I added softly.

Lu Han smiled at me, shaking his head. “The interns here are selected on an anonymous basis,” he replied. “The committee reviews the resumes, cover letters, and transcripts without ever seeing identifying information. You were chosen for your ability, Naeun.”

As I studied him, I could tell that he was completely serious. So, I deserved this internship after all.

“However,” Lu Han added as an afterthought, “you are the only intern getting a personal tour from me. I ...uh...may have expressed interest in getting to know you better after seeing your name on the list of new interns,” he said sheepishly.  

Getting to know me better?

“Anyway, I’ll leave you to settle into your office,” Lu Han finished quickly. “My office is one floor up, but feel free to stop by anytime. Someone from the marketing department will meet with you for a proper company orientation.”

“O-okay,” I replied.

“Let’s get lunch together tomorrow too, yeah?” Lu Han gave me one last look before ducking out of the door. 

For a moment, I just stared at the closed door. What did Lu Han mean by wanting to know me better? Didn’t he know I had a boyfriend? Or did he mean that in a plainly platonic way?

Either way, it wasn’t like I was interested in him. Sure, Lu Han was smart and handsome, but he wasn’t Sehun. Sehun. Just the thought of his name made me smile. I guess being in love makes any sane person into a fool. 

I immediately took a picture in my new office and sent to Sehun. A new seconds later, he called back.

“Hi,” he said, sounding out of breath. “I missed you today.”

“You saw me this morning, silly,” I laughed.

“But I missed you since then,” he amended.

“What are you doing?” I asked curiously. 

“I’m playing basketball with Tao and Kris and another hyung,” he replied. “We finished up early in the garage today.”

“He’s getting his kicked,” I heard a voice, Kris, call out from the back. 

“Shut up, hyung,” Sehun yelled back. “Yeah, they’re destroying me,” he muttered to me. “So, how was your first day?”

“Pretty good,” I replied, kicking my feet up on the desk. “I didn’t do much. Lu Han just gave me a tour.”

Sehun suddenly became silent. “Lu Han gave you a tour?” His voice had changed tones, adapting a coldness that was not there before. 

“Sehun, not this again. I don’t care about Lu Han, okay? I love you, and only you.”

After another beat of silence, Sehun sighed. “Let’s not fight,” he said, voice gentle again. “Let’s go watch a movie tonight, okay? I want to cuddle with you in the movie theater.”

“Gross,” I heard Tao shout from the background. 

Sehun ignored them, but I could imagine him rolling his eyes. “I’ll pick you up at 7? From your place?”

“Okay,” I agreed, a smile creeping onto my face at the prospect of a date. The argument was then soon forgotten.  
 

 


Once I got into actually doing intern things, I became very busy. This was still a prestigious position and they expected a lot out of me, family friend or not. I was actually glad that everyone treated me like any other intern and did not give me special treatment because I was learning so much every day. 

Lu Han was a bit of a different story. We got into the habit of taking our lunch breaks together, and he would occasionally pop into my office with coffee to check up on how I was doing, something he definitely did not do for the other interns.

I wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter