Baby Don't Cry - Exo

From lyrics to stories ♪

"You can't fit into a framework of language." Jongin would always tell Haemin. She was beautiful, smart, everything he wanted in his ideal girl. Only, she thought less of herself. 

I'm not worthy of such a man. I'm ugly and dumb. I can't love Jongin like he loves me. Haemin was not being humble, but she had an inferiority complex. She was simply unconfident about herself. She would not dare to look up to Jongin's eyes even after 3 months of dating. Everyone was shocked even when they got together. It was a popular jock and unknown girl kind of story, only that it was the jock liking the girl and not the other way round. What was more surprising was that the cold Jongin would turn into a warm and bright Jongin at the sight of Haemin. It was something that no one could understand and all Jongin would say was "When she smiles, the sun shines." Indeed, he shines brightly at the sight of her weak smile. 

"Don't hesitate to take away my heart, the sharper the better." Haemin would always receive such messages from Jongin. Haemin would cry, insisting that she does not deserve the love that she is getting from him. Jongin simply replies with a "No, you shall not turn into foam like how mermaids do, you're going to live, because you took away my heart. You are as pretty as a mermaid though." At this moment, Jongin would chuckle and Haemin would pout, claiming that she does not have flippers but legs. The two would have a lover's quarrel for the fun of it. 

Haemin had chronic heart disease, she would get breathless every few minutes. She insists on going to school despite not doing well, because she enjoys going to school. She wanted to be like a normal child, but she knew inside her she couldn't.  She would die in a few years if she does not get a heart transplant in the next 2 years. Even so, the possibility of her body rejecting the heart is relatively high, she may die soon. She avoided everyone's gaze, she looked pale all the time, but that was what caught Jongin's eyes. 

"She's as pure as her skin is. That's what I like about her. She is pure." Jongin would say that when people ask him what part of her does he like other than her smile. 

 

//

 

"You're just like an older brother to me. You don't love me do you?" Haemin would always argue that Jongin felt like an older brother since he was always taking care of her. But he refutes the arguements by giving her three words, "I love you." 

Because of her heart disease, Haemin could not attend physical education lessons. She would sit by the window, staring at her classmates playing basketball, dodgeball and more. Tears would slip out of her eyes as she watched. She could never enjoy such privileges, to run, to play around. Jongin then comforted her. 

"Baby don't cry, give me chilling laughter instead of hot tears." Jongin smiled at her. She would smile back with tears streaming down her face, falling into the embrace of Jongin. 

 

//

 

Yet, their happiness was not to be. School graduation came, both did graduated. However, Haemin was admitted into the hospital as soon as the graduation ceremony ended. She had collapsed into an attack. It has been one and a half years since they met, since Haemin was notified of how long more she could live. She was only halfway through the last moments of her life. 

She was operated on and sent to the Intensive Care Unit for further observation. She was now barely surviving with a pacemaker and oxygen tank. Her body did not even felt like hers anymore. Day by day, she lost a bit more of her smile, a bit of Haemin vapourised each moment she breathes in the oxygen from the tank. Jongin stayed by her side, telling her stories of his childhood, secrets he never told anyone. He would repeat the words "Baby don't cry, my love will protect you" every day to her, comforting her as she cried herself to sleep. But as time passes, Jongin knew that sooner or later, Haemin would leave him alone in harsh reality. 

 

//

 

"Above the dark shade of pain, at the doorsteps of farewell, even if I take a brutal fall, I can manage if it were for you." Jongin burst into tears as he shouted, sending Haemin into the operating theatre. He was going to take the brutal fall for Haemin. 

"You're not the one to turn into foam." Jongin tried to comfort himself, but he could not prevent his tears from falling. He was ready. 

 

//

 

Haemin woke up with a shock. She dreamt of Jongin disappearing into foam. She noticed the absence of her boyfriend in the hospital ward. She then realises she had been transferred into a normal ward. She touched her chest, where she felt a bump, the scar. She suddenly felt something sharp pierce through her heart, except it was not physical pain, but emotional pain. She groggily gets up from the bed and tumbled into the corridor, grabbing on to a nurse as fast as she could. 

"Where is Jongin?" The nurse could only look at her baffled. She did not know who Jongin was. As she continued to trudge to the reception counter, tears dropped onto her operation gown. She had not changed out after the operation. She felt the pain getting harder to resist, the scar was cutting deeper into her. 

"Where is Jongin?" She asked the reception counter. The nurse that was on shift knew about Jongin and she handed Haemin a letter. 

"I'm sorry." The nurse apologized as she gave the letter to Haemin. 

- Haemin ah, I told you not to cry right? Now stop crying. I also told you that my love will protect you and even if I take a brutal fall, I can manage if it were for you, remember? Seeing the scar on your chest, you should have realised what has happened. My love is in you now, protecting you forever. You're not the one turning into foam, I am. Promise me you are going to live well with my heart, or I will haunt you! Live well as a normal teenager like you wanted, stay pure and white though, I like you that way. Oh and your smile is beautiful, you are beautiful, don't even think about denying it because you are. Keep smiling my love. I'll be waiting for my mermaid under the sea. 

P.S I do have one wish in case you were wondering how to repay me for my heart. Promise me to throw my ashes into the sea, I want to wait for you under the sea, so it will be easier for you to find me. -

Haemin folded the letter once again. She smiled at the nurse, thanking her, then walked back to her ward. They were one, now and forever. 

[Author's note: HELLO! First chapter with Baby Don't Cry by EXO by infinitelykyoungjae! I really like the lyrics of the song and my first bias in EXO is Kai, so yay with Kai being main! :D Enjoy, comment and request for any song you want, we'll think of a concept and write a story for you! If you want, you can even include your name so we can make it a You x (your idol) fic :D]