Intrigue

The Country Calls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yunho sat straighter as he watched the monitor. He disliked Shim already. He was looking at Yuri as a predator eyed its prey. 

"Welcome."

Changmin stood up and walked around his desk, slowly making his way towards Yuri. He gave her his signature killer smile. Yuri started to back off he looked at her, searching for the predicted reaction but all he found were two wide eyes staring back at him, full of... Was it fear? No blushing, no flirting, nada.

What is wrong with her?

Changmin cleared his throat, feeling awkward and a bit insecure, dumb for the first time in his life. 

"Get started right now."

"Yes, sir." Yuri stiffly bowed and left the room. 

She's quite... different from what I've been expecting... Changmin was surprised at the unexpected side of Kwon Yuri, but he was amused.

When the door closed, she let out the breath she was holding. Phew.

"Yuri. Stop being so awkward. Loosen up. Respond to his approaches. You're letting the chances go by. For now, just get closer to him. We'll find opportunities to search on the way." Sulhee said in the Bluetooth, sounding very peeved.

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Shush I told you to listen. Don't respond! He might hear you. And quit the formalities."

Yuri nodded, determined.

The phones started ringing and Yuri put the skills she learned to use. Sulhee guided her as she carried out her jobs as the secretary. Yunho watched, not impressed by his first impression of Changmin. 

- - - 

"Kwon Yuri!"

"Yes, sir!"

Yuri was getting used to her job. The phone ran again and she picked up.

"Shim Changmin's secretary speaking. How may I help you?"

"It's me."

"Who are you, sir?"

"Me! Shim Changmin! Now get me a cup of coffee."

"Oh I'm sorry! Right away, sir."

She ran to prepare a cup of coffee. She entered the lounge and followed Sulhee's instructions on how to make coffee the way Shim Changmin liked it. After making the coffee, she carried the tray and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

Yuri, with her two hands full, tried to open the door with her elbow. She turned the knob open but her elbow slipped and the coffee spilled, on her skirt and legs, and on the carpet. She let out a painful yelp.

Changmin, alarmed, ran out in a flash and came back with a handful of napkins. 

"Here..." He handed some napkins to Yuri as he knelt down and cleaned her skirt. 

Yuri cleaned herself as well.

Changmin snorted.

"I can't believe this. I'm cleaning up after my secretary."

"I'm really sorry, sir!" She bowed several times, almost falling over. She was not used to such high heels. 

She is not what I was expecting... At all...

Changmin laughed, his shoulders shaking.

Kwon Yuri... Aren't you something special? 

- - -

"Yuri!"

"Yes sir!"

"What's my schedule for today?"

"You have an appointment at 12pm at the Board of Directors meeting, an appointment at 3pm at the grand opening in Busan, and an appointment at 7pm with your father. You also need to review these contracts..." Yuri handed him some papers.

"I don't feel like meeting Dad..."

"Huh?"

"Cancel it. I don't want to go."

Is his relationship with his father that bad? His dad has to formally make an appointment through a mediator? Well I guess the chaebols in the dramas always lack attention from their parents... Yuri felt sympathy for Changmin. He must be lonely...

"Okay then." Yuri bowed and proceeded to leave the room.

"Oh, and sir! I'm sorry about earlier... Some coffee stained the carpet... I'll make sure to get it cleaned." She rushed out.

Changmin smiled.

- - -

The day went by quickly, and Yuri was starting to get the hang of things.

This isn't so bad, she thought.

At the end of the day, she looked at the clock. It was 6:57. Yuri got her stuff and was on her way to leave when the door to Changmin's office opened.

"Ms. Yuri... Just where are you going?"

"Home???" Yuri replied, confused.

"What time is it?"

"7 o'clock. Isn't that time to go home?"

"On my watch, it's 6:58. You're leaving 2 minutes early, which means you're not working for your salary's worth, which means you're going against the contract. Oh, and I don't know if you haven't heard, but another one of my policies is that none of my employees leave before I do."

"Sorry. I didn't know, sir."

"Well now you do, so keep working for the remaining 1.5 minutes."

Yuri pouted, and went back to her desk, pretending to work.

Changmin laughed silently, taking one last look at her before leaving. The door slammed closed, and Yuri looked up. She saw this as her time to leave and opened the door, to take her leave too, but she jumped, surprised by what she found outside the office. Yuri found Changmin leaning against the wall, smirking at her.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. It's 6:59. I knew you'd do this. I expect you to follow directions next time, Yuri. I'll see you tomorrow." 

Changmin turned around and walked away.

Yuri was annoyed. Who cares about a minute or two? Plus, it was like 6:59:30. So technically, it wasn't even a minute!

She headed down the stairs, avoiding the elevator, in case her boss was still there. After exiting the building, she saw the mission car and naturally strided towards it, nervous to see Yunho's reaction.

Yuri opened the car door and as soon as she got inside and closed the car door, Yunho started the car and Sulhee started her speech.

"Yuri! What are you doing? You're supposed to seduce him, not get scolded by him like a little child! Don't you know the art of seduction? Use your body, you have it for a reason! This whole mission is riding on your hands! Don't ruin this mission for the rest of us here! Especially me, since I am the one who recommended you!"

Yuri wasn't really listening to Sulhee. She was looking at Yunho through the mirror, who was staring at the road straight ahead, as stoic as a rock.

Yunho, on the contrary to Sulhee's opinion, thought she did more than enough seducing, with the coffee and all. He could tell she already piqued Changmin's interest. And he did not understand why seduction was necessary in the execution of the mission.

- - -

As Changmin drove home, his mind was full of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter