Conflict

The Country Calls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Yuri went to work, ecstatic to see Yunho again. Her heart never felt lighter and as she entered Yunho's office, she jumped on Yunho and gave him a big hug. He was surprised at her action, yet happy to be able to show his true feelings again. He kissed her temple for a long time and closed his eyes, but reluctantly pulled away when he remembered the job.

"Come on, you need to get dressed," Yunho said sweetly, with this hand at the small of her back.

- - -

Before Yuri got out of the car, she waved, smiling at Yunho, and avoiding Sulhee's eyes as much as possible. Yunho grinned and waved back, and Sulhee felt a wave of guilt. She didn't even confront me about it.

- - -

Yuri skipped into the office and Changmin was once again surprised, but this time, at Yuri's cheerful mood.

"Why are you so happy today?" he asked blankly, when inside he actually felt relieved.

"Why? Can't I be happy?"

"No, but..."

"Everything worked out fine!" Yuri sang happily.

Changmin froze. Of course. She has a man. His mood changed.

"So... you have a boyfriend?"

Yuri nodded, all smiley.

Before, her smile gave him relief, but now they annoyed the heck out of Changmin.

"Stop smiling! This is work! You don't smile at work!" 

Changmin left and slammed the door to his office.

- - -

Ha! Why should you care Shim Changmin? She's just a secretary!

You have plenty of women going for you! You don't need her!

I actually feel bad for the guy! She's just a kid in a grown-up body!

He tried to comfort himself but it was frustrating. He grabbed his hair and sighed.

Why? Just when a girl I take interest in comes along, she has a boyfriend. 

Oh yeah, I forgot something. Dad would never approve of a secretary! See, her boyfriend just saved you a lot of energy wasted, Changmin reasoned, although he still felt down.

You need to stop this. She's just a distraction, Shim Changmin.

- - -

Lunch time came and Yuri entered Changmin's room.

"Changmin! You have a---"

"I never gave you permission to use my first name. Address me accordingly."

Yuri felt slightly hurt. "Sorry, I just thought we were close enough..."

Changmin recoiled a little, but recovered and shortly replied, "You are my employee and that is all."

"O-oh, of course. I am sorry, sir."

He felt bad hurting Yuri, but he didn't want his feelings to grow.

"Um... Well you have an appointment at 1pm with the Board of Directors, one at 5pm with our sponsors, and one at 6pm at the Chuncheon grand opening."

"You may leave now."

Yuri bowed and left the room.

- - -

"Why is he treating her differently all of a sudden? I thought we made progress!"

"He's... jealous," Yunho frowned, "About what Yuri said to him."

"About you?"

There was no reply. 

"This isn't good... But I can't even say anything out of guilt," Sulhee said.

"Why didn't you block her from saying it?" She asked.

"I... I don't know. Look, I don't like this seducing thing. It's not really necessary at all."

"But it's better if he trusts her and it's easier to make excuses too. One mistake and we're out. So the more intimacy, the safer."

Yunho did not like what he was hearing even though he knew she was right.

"Well I guess this is still good. He has feelings for her if he's jealous right?" Sulhee pointed out, much to Yunho's annoyance.

"Jung Yunho, I've never seen you like this. But work must remain separate from personal matters. Plus, Yuri loves you a lot. There's no chance she'll fall for Changmin. Well, he is young, gorgeous, and rich, so maybe she will. Oh well. Either way, the one of us is pleased. "

"Just put on your headset."

- - -

Changmin, without a word, actually left his office himself to get himself some lunch. Yuri decided to skip lunch and work because she wasn't feeling hungry.

A pretty woman who seemed a little over Yuri's age entered the office, and sauntered her way over to Yuri.

She whispered fiercely, "You. You're trying to seduce our boss aren't you? You better cut it out. You're not even worthy to see his face."

Taken aback, thinking her mission was revealed, denied, "No! I'm not! I'm really not!"

She was partly telling the truth, because honestly, she forgot about seducing Changmin. Her superiors didn't mention anything about it either, so she just acted like herself, as instructed, as natural as possible.

"Whatever. Get these papers copied in half an hour, by the time the lunch break ends. I'm in the floor right below."

"Okay, ma'am!"

The woman rolled her eyes and walked out.

Yuri was clueless. What is this? She looked through the stacks of papers and she didn't know what to do. 

"Hello? Where is the copying machine?" Yuri whispered into her mic.

"I don't know... You don't have to do it. You're not her secretary. You're Shim Changmin's secretary."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter