Solace

The Country Calls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the meeting, Yuri wondered why Yunho was stressed about Changmin's case before, now that she got to know Changmin. Wait. What did he do wrong anyway? She would ask Yunho tomorrow.

- - -

In the morning before Yuri came, Sulhee strolled to Yunho's office and when he saw her enter, a frown made its way onto his handsome face. Sulhee winced.

Why does he hate me so much? 

Yunho sighed and stood up.

"What do you want?"

Sulhee started to lose her composure. It was always like this. Nothing changed even after he broke up with Yuri.

"Why are you so cold to me? What does Yuri have that I don't?"

Yunho put his hands over his face.

"Can we not talk about this?"

"Stop trying to avoid this question! Why? Why not me? If I wait, will you ever love me?"

"I'm sorry."

"So you're saying it has to be her?"

Yunho looked away. Sulhee held back her angry tears. 

She yelled, trying to maintain a steady voice, "Fine! I'm sick of this. I'm sick of you hurting my pride! You can have her. I won't even do anything. I don't care anymore!" 

She opened the door, to be flustered by Yuri standing, motionless. Sulhee moved aside and quickly stormed off from the scene.

- - -

"Oppa. What is this?"

"Yuri..."

"What's going on???"

From Yuri's eyes, tears started to fall one by one. Yunho went to Yuri and pulled her in his embrace.

"Did you hear everything?"

Yuri nodded. Earlier, she couldn't help but eavesdrop when she was coming to his room to ask about Changmin.

"But I don't understand. What was she saying?"

"Some things happened and I had to break up with you." 

"What happened?"

"That... Remember that... incident? That was because of me."

Yuri froze.

"W-what in the world are you saying?" What she heard and what he was saying... she couldn't connect the dots.

Yuri's legs unbuckled and Yunho caught her before she fell.

"I'm sorry," Yunho apologized.

He didn't want to tell the details and bring Sulhee into this anymore.

It was my fault, and no one else's. 

"I don't understand. How could you do this to me, Oppa? This doesn't make any sense!" Yuri sobbed, emitting a force of terrible sadness.

"Do you know what I went through after I was ? And you purposely imposed that on me???" Yuri's words were becoming harder to understand as she sobbed uncontrollably.

"Yuri!" It was all Yunho could do to caress her and calm her down. He looked up, trying to hold his own tears back.

Yunho never saw Yuri like this. Yuri's sorrowful wails heavily pierced his heart. She was holding it all in all this time, pretending to be okay, when it wasn't. And I pushed her away during this time. I left her alone.

In the midst of their private moment, Director Kim came in.

"Aren't you guys supposed to be on the mission? What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry, sir." Yunho insincerely apologized to his senior.

"Agent Kwon, you need to learn to separate personal matters from work. I don't care what happened. This work is more important than your life!"

"Director Kim!" Yunho yelled.

Director Kim jumped, astonished at Yunho's outburst. He would have scolded anyone else for talking back, but Yunho had such an intimidating aura that he could not dare respond.

But his job was on the line, so he continued, but as nicely as possible, "Please, Agent Kwon, get ready for the mission."

Yunho furrowed his eyebrows, but before he could say anything, Yuri nodded and left the room. Director Kim, afraid of being confronted with Yunho's apparent fury, followed Yuri out.

- - -

Changmin tapped his fingers impatiently on Yuri's desk.

Why isn't she here yet?

The door opened, and Changmin stood up .

"Why are you---" Changmin walked towards Yuri but paused, startled, when he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter