Chapter 16

Sent By God

Rainy Days
No POV

    
    It had been 2 weeks since Yifan has been here and the girls in school wasted no time getting used to him. He had already been receiving letters and sweets from admirers. The guys however, well they didn't seem to like him very much. He was constantly receiving stares and grimaces from them. It's not like Yifan didn't notice, he just chose to ignore it.

    It was always hard for him to make guy friends and he wasn't able to keep a girl as a friend because they just wanted to jump all over him. So he tried to stick to himself. Thankfully he has seemed to get close to Jongin and his group of friends at lunch and has found his way to their lunch table. He doesn't say much, just observes their conversations.

     He was still just warming up to Hyemi. It's obvious to her that he hasn't had many friends in the past. The most they say to each other are greetings with the occasional note passed between them now and then. Notes that read

    "What's today's date?"
    "What paragraph are we on?"

    They have yet to have a more personal conversation together or to try and get to know each other better.
 
    Today was Friday, everyone was excited for the long weekend they were having and happy to not be in school for a few days. 

     Hyemi and Luhan arrived to school early and made there way inside. They talked quietly together until they reached her classroom. They looked in the window and noticed that someone was already inside. 

    Yifan was standing by his desk, just staring and looked almost annoyed. Hyemi could understand why. 

    Yifan's desk was covered almost completely with candy and presents, some of which spilled over onto her desk also.

   "Damn, he sure is popular…" Hyemi mumbled

    "Do you think he's been coming early everyday?" Hyemi shrugged and quietly opened the door. Yifan didn't turn his head.

    "Hey…good morning." She said quietly walking beside him. Luhan took his usual spot on the windowsill and watch the two closely.

    "Hey…" Yifan said quietly, not taking his eyes off the gifts.

    "I didn't realize how many admirers you had already. I don't think you can finish all that chocolate by yourself." Yifan let out a small sigh.

    "What should I do with these?" Hyemi shrugged, trying to hide her surprise from hearing his voice. 

    "I don't suppose we could throw it out the window or in the teachers closet." Yifan gave Hyemi the smallest smile.

    "I've been considering those to be honest." Hyemi laughed until she looked over to the classroom door and realized something. 

    "Hold on a second." She went out of the class and dragged one of the large trash cans from the hallway. She pulled the large lid off and placed it to the side.

    "Won't we get in trouble for bringing that in here?" Yifan asked, slightly amused by the girls plan.

    "Not if we move fast." 

    Hyemi started to gather up some of the gifts and candy left on the desk Yifan followed suit and they both shoved as many of the gifts into the trash can as they could. They put the lid back on and Yifan helped her drag the can back out to the hall. They hadn't realized the tiny bundle of chocolate truffles still left on his desk.

    "I didn't even notice these. Oh well we could just throw these out too." Hyemi said reaching for the bundle. Yifan quickly picked up the chocolates from his desk. 
 
    "Uhmn…you can have these. Thanks for helping." He placed the chocolates on her desk before finally sitting down at his own. Luhan gave her an amused look, gesturing for her to take the chocolate.

    "Thanks. I actually love these." 

    A few minutes of silence passed. The two sat at their desks quietly. Sometimes tapping their feet on the floor or their fingers on the desk. 

    "Why is he so quiet?" Luhan said to himself. Hyemi glanced in his direction. 

    "How are you liking it here so far?" She asked nicely. Trying to start a conversation. But he simply shrugged his shoulders.

    "It's alright I guess. I mean I've made some friends." Yifan said without looking at her. Luhan grimaced at him.
 
    "Why is he so cold to you? You were just asking a question." Hyemi gave Luhan a tiny shrug. 

    "Yeah I noticed you've been sitting with Jongin and his friends. Jongin and I are pretty good friends too he's a good guy." Yifan nodded his head slightly.

    "He's nice. His friends are cool." Hyemi racked her brain for something else to say.

    "Have you been coming here early everyday?" Yifan let out an unusually heavy sigh.

   "To get rid of the gifts…there's more everyday." Hyemi nodded in understanding.

    "That must be annoying. Did you ever experience that before?" Yifan nodded his head again.

    "When I lived in China. It never happened in Canada." 

    This is getting so ing awkward…

    "Are you catching up to your school work alright?" 

    "You ask a lot of questions." Yifan cracked the tiniest smile. A smile that made a pink tint dust over her cheeks. Luhan raised an eye brow at her.

    "You're blushing." Luhan whispered. Hyemi wanted to smack him but she couldn't. She still couldn't help the blush that took over her face.

    "Sorry I'm just curious…I mean you don't really talk much…It's a little hard getting to know you." Yifan looked down at his desk.

    "I've never actually had anyone to talk to. I've always been to myself. I'm learning I guess. It's just easier being to yourself you know?" He looked up at Hyemi. His eyes looked oddly gentle.

    "It is easier being to yourself…but is sure is lonely…" she almost whispered. The taller boy looked as if he wanted to say something but other students began piling into the room. He sat back in his chair.

    As usual the day was quiet. They would pass small notes between them. Luhan just watched with curiosity. 

    Is this what He meant? Is this her soulmate? What else is there for me to do if she's met him already… 

    When lunch time came, instead of getting up to leave first, Hyemi stoped herself.

    "Do you want to walk down to lunch together? Hyemi asked nicely. Yifan simply gave her a nod and they made their way down to the lunch room. The stares and whispers from their peers were incredibly obvious but they just ignored them and continued down to the lunch room. 

     "Hyemi!" Maei Lee called from down the hall. She jogged over to her best friend. Hyemi was actually really excited to see her. Maei Lee had been so caught up in her studies the two of them had barely talked. 

    "We can have lunch together finally!" She said cheerfully once she reached her friend. Maei Lee looked up to see not only her friend, but a really tall boy standing behind her…giving her a very intimidating look.

    "W-Who's this Hyemi?" She asked in a small voice gesturing to the giant behind her. Hyemi smiled and looped her arm through Maei Lee's. 

    "Yifan this is Maei Lee, Jongin's girlfriend. Maei Lee, this is is my new classmate Yifan. You would know that already if you bothered to come to lunch with me or your boyfriend." Hyemi friend. Maei Lee sighed heavily.

    "I know! I'm convinced my parents are trying to kill me with all this studying…I barely get to see Jongin anymore…" Hyemi gave her and understanding nod.

    "Don't worry we can all have lunch together today. I'm sure Jongin will be happy." 

    And she wasn't kidding. When they all got down to the lunchroom, Jongin pulled Maei Lee into his arms and kissed her. Not minding if his friends saw. And when he pulled back, her face was completely red. 

    "It's nice to see you too Jongin." Hyemi teased the couple. Jongin ruffled Hyemi's hair. 

    "Haven't seen my girlfriend in a while leave me alone." Jongin led the group over to their usual table. And they all put their stuff down. 
 
    "Hyemi, this is my cousin Sehun and my friend Zitao from the performance club. And this here is Yongguk hyung." The three looked up at Hyemi with big smiles. Especially Yongguk. He, for whatever reason he couldn't take his eyes off of the younger girl.

    "So this is the cutie from the talent show?" He said, still not taking his eyes off of her.

    "Why haven't you brought her around earlier?" 

    "You're even prettier up close." 

    The Zitao and Sehun teased making Hyemi's cheeks grow pink. Luhan giggled from behind her and gave her shoulder a gentle pat. 

    "I've never seen you get flustered like this. What's with you today?"

    You're lucky I can't hit an angel…

    They settled in and all began talking comfortably together. Even Yifan talked a little surprisingly…

    Yifan sat next to Hyemi and right across from them was Jongin and Maei Lee. Right beside them was Yongguk.

    "Wanna share?" Hyemi asked kindly to Yifan, gesturing toward her freshly cut apple slices Chanyeol slipped into her bag that morning. Yifan gave her a smile as he took one of the apple slices from the container. Jongin leaned in to grab one quickly but Hyemi shut the container.

    "None for you." She said simply and Jongin gave her a pout.

    "How can you be so mean to your Oppa?" Hyemi rolled her eyes at him.

    "I told you already you're not my Oppa! If want someone to call you Oppa then ask your girlfriend!" She said gesturing to Maei Lee who was currently cuddled up on his shoulder. Jongin raised an eyebrow and looked at her with a smirk.

    "You know guys don't like girls with a slick mouth. No wonder you've never had a real boyfriend." Hyemi laughed. She could hear Yifan next to her choke back a giggle of his own.

    "Honestly that's probably true. And because my brother practically paid you off to be my body guard. How do you expect me to do anything with the two of you breathing down my neck. Weirdos why is my 23 year old brother friends with a high schooler anyway." Jongin simply shrugged his shoulders.

    "Hey Chanyeol hyung has been like a brother to me too. So that technically makes you my sister. So that means I'm Oppa to you." Hyemi grimaced at him and rolled her eyes.

    Hyemi turned back to Yifan to offer him another apple slice. Yifan smiled at her. He took one and brought it up to his lips. Hyemi took one herself and bit into it, giving Yifan a smile back.

    She couldn't see the look on Luhan's face from behind her or the one from her friend right across from her. Maei Lee leaned in to whisper into Jongin's ear.

    "They look kinda cute together." Jongin glanced up and the pair with a smile.

    "Yeah…they do actually." The couple giggled together. Yongguk however didn't look to happy that the two were so close but tried not to pay attention.

    "So did you guys hear about the Valentine's Day dance? It's coming up in like 3 weeks." Zitao said from the other end of the table. 

    "Wow our school is actually throwing us a dance? That's a first." Jongin responded while stretching his arms out.

    "Yeah some of the teachers said it's a treat for the school doing well on the winter exams." Sehun chimed in.

    "We should all go!" Maei Lee said clapping her hands happily. 

     "It might be fun actually. Should we all bring dates?" Yongguk asked raising eye brow at Hyemi. She laughed trying to fight off her blush.

    "You guys have fun…I probably won't be going." Maei Lee pouted at her.

    "Well why not?! If I'm going you should go!" Hyemi let out and exaggerated sigh.

    "Because I don't have anything to wear, and I don't have anyone to go with. Plus I don't celebrate Valentine's Day anyway." She rattled off her list of reasons while counting on her fingers and Maei Lee's pout only got bigger.

    "Well the dance isn't for a few weeks I can find you a dress or something…and Yongguk basically just tried asking you out." She whispered the last part, making Jongin and Yifan laugh quietly. 

    "Maei Lee honestly don't worry about me, like I said I don't celebrate Valentine's Day…" Hyemi sighed to herself as she picked up her drink from the table and took a sip. Not taking notice of how two of the boys at the table eyeing her small pink tongue swipe across her bottom lip…

    "Ugh you're a pain in the you know that?" Maei Lee grunted. Hyemi smiled at her with a shrug.

    "That's what they tell me. But hey like Jongin said, that's why I'm single." Hyemi and Jongin laughed together.

    Luhan as usual, watched quietly despite not being seen or heard regardless. He knows that his mission was to help Hyemi and he couldn't do that without the help of her friends. He had never seen her interact with her friends like this before…it was rather nice. 

    Once lunch was over everyone packed up their stuff and left the lunch room back to their classes. 

    Yifan and Hyemi were still quiet in class but it was a comfortable silence. They would exchange small glances toward one another. Very small and gentle smiles graced their faces.

    The end of class came and Hyemi packed up her things to make her way to her extra class. 

    "Ugh it's raining…I didn't bring an umbrella! My brother will kill me if I get this uniform wet…" Hyemi grumbled to herself as she looked at the down pour out the window. 

    "I'll wait for you after your class…I'll drive you home." Yifan said casually as he packed his bag. Hyemi raised an eyebrow.

    "You drive? Why am I not surprised." Yifan shrugged his shoulders. He put his jacket and bag on his shoulders.

    "I'll be out front when you're done. It's the black car, you'll know which one." He said over his shoulder as he left the class room. 

    "He's warming up to you I think." Luhan smiled as they walked out the classroom. Hyemi nodded in agreement.

    "I think it's good though…he's too intense. Everyone finds him intimidating." 

    "But you don't?" Luhan asked curiously.

    "Well I do just not as intimidating as everyone else. You can tell he's a big softy. He just needs a friend. I don't get scared very easily."

    When Hyemi's class came to an end, she made her way outside to the front gate. The rain had slowed up a little bit but it was still drizzling. She rushed to cover her head with her bag. She noticed a lone black car parked directly in front and she knew it was Yifan. She hesitated a little without knowing why.

    "What's wrong?" Luhan asked. Hyemi was jealous of how he wasn't effected by the rain.
  
    "Will you be there with me?…" she asked quietly. Luhan nudged her shoulder.

    "I thought you don't get scared easily." She rolled her eyes and continued to walked down to the car.

    Yifan seemed to notice her coming, and got out of the car to meet her half way with an umbrella in his hand.

    "Hurry before you get even more wet." He opened the umbrella over her and led her to the car. Luhan followed closely behind. 

    Yifan opened the door for her and helped her inside. He got into the car and they slowly drove off. Hyemi guided him in the right direction to her house.

    The car ride was slow and quiet until something a little unexpected happened…

    "So, how did you get so close with Jongin?" Yifan asked her and caught her off guard.

    "Well my brother was his tutor in and they got pretty close. I've known him for a couple years but we've never actually gotten close or talked until…recently."

    "Why is that?" Yifan asked carefully, trying to to push her if she was uncomfortable.

    "My brother asked him to look out for me. I've been…kinda stupid lately." Yifan scoffed.

     "You don't seem very stupid to me Hyemi." The comment made me smile.

    "Thanks but I'm not very smart either." 

    "Why would you think you're stupid?" Yifan asked her with a smile of his own. Hyemi let out a small huff.

    "Boy trouble…" 

    "So that's what all of that was in the lunch room." He nodded to himself. 

    "My brother just wants to make sure I'm safe…he's pretty protective. I mean he wouldn't even let Jongin near me if he hadn't known him for so long." 

    The rest of the ride was silent. Luhan casually watched the two interact from the backseat. For some reason he felt the need to be quiet around these two and just watch them be.

    They finally got to Hyemi's house and Yifan pulled up front. Hyemi slowly gathered her stuff.

    "So that kid from a few weeks ago…Minwoo…he was the guy giving you…boy trouble?" Yifan and Hyemi glanced at each other quietly.

    "How did you know?" Yifan took a hand from the steering wheel to gently brushed through his brown hair. Hyemi couldn't help but stare…

    "Kinda figured. You acted really weird around him. I just put two and two together." Hyemi but her lip.

    "Yeah he was a jerk but I'm over it. I mean what am I gonna do? Dwell over a guy that wasn't mine to begin with…It's not like he was my boyfriend or anything…I've never had one." The words kind of seemed to slip from . When she realized what she said she wanted to kick herself…

    Hyemi what the ?? He doesn't want to hear about your stupid problems?

    "Yeah guys are s like that. I know pretty well." Yifan laughed quietly. A laugh that made a big smile break out on Hyemi's face. Luhan smiled to himself from the backseat. After a few more minutes of small talk, Hyemi got her things together to leave.

    "See you in class." She said as she got out of the car. Yifan smiled at her gently. But he didn't pull away from her house until he saw her go through he front door. A gesture that Hyemi had to admit she really liked. 

 

    

    
 
 I never realized how angsty I sounded in the early chapters of this story! Like I definitely sounded like a preteen! Which I wasn't I was like 17 when I started this! Ughhh what are you gonna do right that's how I felt at the time…but reading it now as a 19 year old in college and with a son…I feel like I've grown so much and I hope the character of Hyemi grows just as much…

 Hope you all enjoyed, once again I'm sorry for the long wait, don't forget to comment and upvote ^^