v

Indecent Proposal
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon woke up early. No, she wasn’t excited. She kept on telling herself she wasn’t. But the cheeky smile plastered on her face gave it away.

 

“Do you really have to go to work? You know you don’t have to.” Yuri crossed her arms as she slouched on the taxi seat.

 

Taeyeon sighed. The idea of working in America is something Yuri didn’t like. The tone she used was evident of it. But Taeyeon understood the deeper meaning behind the disapproval. It meant they would have to stay longer in the place Yuri disliked the most. “You’re right. I don’t have to.” She nodded, her eyes on the side window. She didn’t want to lose the confidence she built last night by just looking at the woman beside her.

 

“Precisely!” Yuri chirped. “So,” she turned her body to face Taeyeon. “You’re not going to work anymore?” She smiled widely.

 

“Nope.” Taeyeon bluntly replied as she, too, arched her body towards Yuri’s. “Still going to work.” A wide grin and she saw Yuri’s lower lip protruded in to a sulky pout. “Yuri-ah.” Taeyeon poked Yuri’s side waist as the woman straightened her back against the seat. “Yuri-ah.”

 

“What?”

 

“Stop sulking.” Taeyeon’s forehead creased. “You know why I’m doing this, right?”

 

“Of course.” It was now Yuri’s turn to sigh. “Them y models look good on those mags but real life booties are more precious to you.”

 

“Yes, yes. Them hot y boot—Yah!” Taeyeon hit Yuri’s shoulder but the latter was able to dodge. “I have a more profound reason, you know!”

 

“To attract all the beautiful models and make them part of your harem once you return to Korea?” Yuri’s eyes were now slits, eyeing Taeyeon from head to toe.

 

“Of cou—Yah!” Taeyeon tried to slap Yuri’s shoulder again but failed because of the latter’s trained speed. She exhaled. “I appreciate beauty and am fond of seeing gorgeous women—“

 

“Wearing bikinis. Or birthday suites.” Yuri cut her.

 

Taeyeon covered Yuri’s mouth with her hand. “Let me finish!” She closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose with the use of her other hand as she let out a long, deep breath. “I appreciate beauty and am fond of seeing gorgeous women in magazines. But I’m not gay. Stop insinuating that. I can’t see myself romantically involved with them anyway.”

 

Yuri pried the hand from . “You said you have a girlfriend!”

 

“Yes. I have a girl…friend. Tiffany. She’s my new ‘girl’ friend. Not ‘boy’ friend. Because, well. It’s not like she’s a boy, right?” Taeyeon smiled to herself.

 

Yuri rolled her eyes. She can’t believe Taeyeon got her with that stupid pun. “Yeah, right. But why do you need to work? You don’t NEED to work. In here, that is.”

 

“I just…I’m here to learn some stuffs, Yuri.” Taeyeon said in a serious tone. “I don’t want to go back to Korea with nothing in my hands. I want to be a better person. And I think, this is the place where I can learn that.” She looked at Yuri in the eye. “So, please support me? Like you always do?” A small smile.

 

“Ahhh!” Yuri grabbed the sides of her head in frustration. She knew she was already defeated in this talk. Heck, she knew from the start that Taeyeon would not be easy to persuade once she had decided on it. “Fine! But I’m going with you. I’m going to watch you, protect you and see if you learn anything other than the abomination that is in here!” She whined.

 

“Yuri-ah.” Taeyeon cooed. “I think this place had already changed. It’s not the same as the time you went here with Uncle.” Taeyeon held her hand. She knew the real reason why Yuri disliked being in the West.

 

When they were younger, both of them dreamt of flying to the west—of experiencing a different culture other than their own. They’ve heard great tales from those who had been fortunate to land in the foreign country. From sweet breads made in gigantic ovens to the magical elevator in towering skyscrapers, they wanted to experience them all. This curiosity made them yearn for adventure. And so, when General Kwon, Yuri’s father, was assigned a task in California, Yuri flew with him. All smiles and promises of great stories to Taeyeon once she comes back. But little Yuri returned to Korea with a sober face and a repulsive heart towards the west.

 

She didn’t like what she saw.

 

Taeyeon asked her and Yuri said that she had never seen such awful and disrespectful children in her entire life. Or maybe, she was too young and the trip had opened her eyes to the reality she had not seen before.

 

It turned out that Yuri was left in a ‘daycare’, a place where parents can leave their children to play and learn while they go to work. Pretty much like a school—without the grades and the assignments. It was just for a day, but Yuri was already bullied. Because, she looked different. Because, she’s Asian.

 

The white kids didn’t like her.

 

After that, Yuri had despised anything that had got to do with the west. And Taeyeon was not one to argue. She loves Yuri like her own blood sister. So, she kept her fantasies of adventures all to herself; which is also why Taeyeon went to America all by herself. She didn’t want to take Yuri against her will.

 

“Yuri-ah.” Taeyeon called her name again, trying to placate the other woman’s heart. “It’s going to be okay. I’m going to be okay. We’re going to be okay. Stop worrying too much.” She gripped her hand tighter but Yuri remained quiet. The taxi stopped on their destination and Taeyeon paid the driver as they alighted from the cab.

 

“I can’t help not to worry, Taeyeon.” Yuri finally spoke.

 

“I understand.” Taeyeon stood straight and smiled at Yuri. “I promise to behave myself and work hard. Just like a commoner who needs money to feed her family.”

 

Yuri couldn’t help the snicker from . “Now, I’m more worried.”

 

Taeyeon lightly pushed her shoulder. “I can do this, you know. I’m a big girl now. Just trust me, will you?”

 

“Ha! The mischievous Princess Taeyeon…to behave like a commoner? Ahahahahha. Ok—ay. That does it. Whatever you say, I’ll stick to you like a glue. Like your shadow. You’ll see me following you while you work. You can’t let me off. I’m your secret bodyguard and nothing’s gonna take you away from me.” She linked her arm over Taeyeon’s. “Nothing!”

 

“Ewww. You’re like a leech. Get away, Yuri.” Taeyeon teasingly pried her arm off.

 

“No! Nothing can separate us!” Yuri held tighter, a mirthful smile on her lips. “NOTHING!”

 

“Taeyeon!” A tender voice called behind them.

 

Taeyeon unlinked her arm from Yuri’s and turned her attention towards the source of the voice. An ecstatic smile formed on her face when she saw who the owner was. “Oh, anneonghaseyo.” She slightly bowed her head. “It’s a nice weather today, right, Tiffany?”

 

Tiffany returned the Korean greeting and stepped nearer. “Yeah. Nice weather.” She then, glanced at the other girl beside Taeyeon. “Anneonghaseyo. You must be Yuri-shi? Hi, I’m Tiffany.” She extended her hand and shook Yuri’s.

 

“Ah, ne.” Yuri seemed surprised. “I’m Yuri Kwon. Nice to meet you, Tiffany-shi. How do you…how did you know my name?”

 

“Ah! My friend said Taeyeon might bring someone with the name ‘Yuri’ with her. And since, you’re here, I just guessed it was you. I’m lucky I guessed right. Ahahaha.” Her eyes curved as she chuckled.

 

“Oh, Jessica?” It was now Taeyeon’s turn to guess who that friend was.

 

“Ah, yeah.” Tiffany nodded in affirmation. “Surprisingly, she even came with me today. She’s—“

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Tiffany-shi.” Yuri bowed curtly. “I forgot I needed to do something really urgent so I have to go now.” A lopsided smile. “I trust your compassionate hands to handle Taeyeon. I’m taking my leave now.” And with a stiff posture she turned her back, ready to coolly run away.

 

Taeyeon quickly grabbed the retreating Yuri. “What happened to the shado—“

 

“Shush!” Yuri said in a hiss while putting a finger on Taeyeon’s lips. “I have got to water your flowers in the apart—“

 

“But I don’t

Please log in to read the full chapter