Rain and Moments

"In A World Like This, I Got You..." (New: Nonsense)

It’s raining again.

Rain...

Speaking of rain... It’s weird; we always see each other when it was raining.




******

 


“It has been raining for weeks now...” I muttered as I park my car in front of a cafe. As much as I liked the cold and the peace atmosphere it brings, I absolutely didn’t like the flood it brings. And it’s starting now. If you walk outside my apartment, you’ll find your shoes soaked with water.

I sighed and stepped out of my car as fast as I could and ran inside the cafe. I didn’t bring my coat or my umbrella. Sweet.

I looked around the cafe and to my luck, I found this one vacant seat at the back corner near the transparent glasses, where you can observe the outside world. Just like what I wanted.

Just as I was about to sit, a girl who’s working here beat me to it. I bet she didn’t notice me approaching the chair. I was about to cough to get her attention but I stopped myself when I saw her rub her temples, she’s absolutely tired.

I bit my lip and looked around again. There’s no way I will get out of this cafe and face the merciless pouring of the rain outside.

My eyes lit up when I saw an abandoned chair beside the cashier. I pulled it beside the table and sat. I was surprised when the girl who’s now looking outside the glass didn’t still notice me.

I furrowed my eyebrows and observed her. Her cheeks and nose were a bit red and her eyes were half lidded. As I bit my lower lip, I didn’t fail noticing the dark circles beneath her beautiful eyes.

I sighed and went to the cashier.

“What can I get you?” A tanned girl with dooey eyes asked.

“2 Caramel coffees and 2 banana cheese cake.” I replied.

“Alright.”

I paid and went back to my chair to see the girl sleeping. I placed the number on the table and went outside the cafe. I shivered when the rain along with the wind touched my skin.

I hissed and went inside my car. I grabbed a pen, a paper and a small white plastic before getting inside the cafe again.

When I got back to my sit, the girl was still sleeping and the food I ordered lay beside her.

I reached for the other coffee and banana cheese cake. After about thirty minutes, I finished eating and the girl was still asleep. I nodded to myself and started scribbling notes on the paper I got.

I placed the caramel coffee, the banana cheese cake, my note and the small plastic beside her. I re-read my note again carefully before leaving.


The note:

Hey, you’re an idiot you know? You have a high fever and you’re working? People these days, tsk!

Anyway, I left some medicines inside that small plastic. Be sure to take them and I assure you, you’ll be fine in no time. Oh and don’t forget to sleep early tonight, you must have 10 hours of sleep. OKAY?
Trust me okay? I’m a licensed doctor.




 

Jung

 

 

*****



I smiled as I got out of my car. I leaned my back on its door and never cared if the rain soaked me little by little.

I inhaled the rain’s scent and smiled wider.




******

 


I stepped out of my car and entered the supermarket near my apartment.

I got a small trolley and began my shopping. I really need to have some decent food in my fridge; I can’t just eat noodles for the rest of my life. Now who’s a doctor?

I went to the veggies section and to my surprise, there’s no one in there except me and.... and that girl from the cafe!

I bit my lower lip and decided to stand across her so that I can observe her, more like check on her. I let out a small smile when I found her healthier state.

I was about to walk away when I heard her sneeze cutely. Not able to control myself, I let out a laugh.
“Oh my, excuse me for that.” She apologized which made me look at her.

I shook my head and smiled. “Nah, it’s okay. You must felt relieve after sneezing, right?”

The girl smiled which took me a back. Why? ‘coz her eyes are smiling too!

“Yeah.”

I nodded. “Sure ‘coz you just sneezed some bacteria’s out of your system.”

“Eh?” She seemed surprise but what got me was when she suddenly bowed multiple of times. “So sorry to sneeze near you! Please excu—“

I waved my hands at her. “It’s okay, don’t worry. Bacteria’s won’t eat me alive.” I joked but the girl seemed to be more embarrassed.

I chuckled. “Okay, let’s stop talking about bacteria’s, seriously, it’s weird.”

After that, I found myself shopping with her until we got out of the store and found ourselves watching the heavy rain in front of us.

“I swear the weather forecasters are wrong. This is some kind of storm already.” I commented and she agreed without second thoughts.

Suddenly, my phone rang.

“Hello?”

From the corners of my eyes, I can see the girl looking at me, curious.

I felt my face being serious before nodding as if the person on the other line can see me.

“Alright. I’ll be right there.”

I bit my lower lip as I looked at my car across the road. I need to go to the hospital.

“I need to go.” I quickly said and without waiting for the girl’s reply, I ran as fast as I could towards my car. I got in and I groaned in distaste when I found myself soaked with water. My phone rang again and I hastily drove my car away.

I made a u-turn and I did not miss seeing the girl in front of the store, hugging herself due to coldness.
I continued driving and as the distance between her and my car grew further, I bit my lower lip and hissed.

“Oh I’m so gonna regret it.” I muttered as I made a u-turn again and stopped right in front of the girl. “Hop in!” I yelled for her to hear me. She hesitated but being in a hurry, I reached out and dragged her in. “Where to?”

I asked hastily that even I won’t understand what did I say but she heard it.

“Cafe...”

And that’s all I needed before driving in full speed. Screw the limits.

 

 


******




I chuckled to myself after remembering that. At first, I regretted going back for her but after a while, I was glad I did.

I looked at the dark sky above me and let the rain pour on my face. I smiled.





******

 


I hissed. It’s raining again.

I abruptly stopped my car in front of that same cafe and went out of it as slowly as I could. Not minding if the rain will soak me. But oh well, it did.

The moment I stepped in the cafe, pairs of eyes automatically landed on me. Who wouldn’t? I’m like a swimmer who just got out of the swimming pool, defeated.

I sat on that same chair again at the back corner and started wandering my eyes beyond the transparent glasses. A storm. It is definitely a storm.

I was caught off guard when a towel enveloped me and that same girl sat in front of me. But this moment, she’s not sick. She’s actually glowing. I will definitely fall for her if I am not in this bad mood.
“What happened?” She asked and she looked at me worriedly.

“Nothing.” I answered as I shook my head.

She sighed and stood. I didn’t bother looking back at her since I was so busy looking outside.

After a minute, a caramel coffee and a strawberry cheesecake landed in front of me.

I blankly looked at the girl.

She smiled. “Please let me make it up to you... Miss Jung.”

My eyes widened. “How did you know?”

She pointed at the dooey eyed girl right at the cashier. “Yoona told me yesterday after you drove me here. Thank you.”

I shook my head. “You don’t need to thank me... thank you for these.” I said and began eating.
Silence engulfed us until she surprised me with a question.


“Have you able to save a life?”

I stiffened on my seat.

“Based on how you do things hastily yesterday, it seemed that you need to save a life.”

I bit the inside of my cheek and without warning, my body started trembling again and I bet she noticed it. But I didn’t get her when she continued asking.


“So... have you... save a life..?”

I shook my head as tears started forming on my eyes.


“How..... many.....?”

I gritted my teeth, trying to push my tears back.


“Three......”

Her hand then found mine and I felt comforted in a way.


“Is.... this your first time?”

I nodded and that made it. I let all the tears I tried to push back since last night.


The girl stood and went beside me. “Come here.......”

And I felt myself very comforted that I found myself sobbing inside her embrace.


“I.... tried to.... save them.....”

“I know...”

“I failed them..... especially their family...”

She abruptly pulled back and looked at me straight in the eye. “No you didn’t. I know you tried the best you could... Sometimes.... some people just... need to go..... If it’s their time... Then it is.” I looked on the floor as she continued.


“Did you know that after you drove me back here in the cafe yesterday, the supermarket was bombed?”

I looked at her, surprised.


She smiled at me softly. “No one survived that even those who are outside but me, since you got me out of there quickly. So..... you saved one life yesterday....... you saved me.”

 

 


******




I tried to look beyond that transparent glasses and I grinned when I saw that eye smiling person. We knew each other for about 5 years now. And we made sure to visit each other at work just to have time together.

And today is no exception; I decided to visit her today.

Today...

The day when we really need each others’ presence.





******

 



“Tiffany...” I called as I felt myself tremble in front of her. I found myself choking even if I did not start speaking yet. “I’m so sorry...”

Those three words were enough for her to cry herself out. I hugged her as tight as I could. And I felt myself crumble as I heard and watched her wail.

In front of me, her father had his head on both of his hands, crying. Her sister and brother hugged, comforting each other.

“Tiff....” I choked out as tears started to fall from my eyes. This family have become important to me that I considered them my second family. Now, I can feel all their pains.

“Your mother said she’s happy and that she wants all of you to be happy as well.”

I hugged her tightly.

“She said, she loves all of us more than anything else.”

 

 


*****




“Oh my god, Jessi! What are you doing!?”

My grin became wider when I saw her approach me.

“I just want to enjoy the rain.”

She slapped my arm as she shielded me with her umbrella.

“Are you out of your mind? Let’s get inside.”

We sat at that same spot as I dried myself with the towel Yoona gave me.

“Seriously, what were you doing outside for that long?” She asked me incredulously as she handed me a coffee.

I shrugged. “I told you already, I just want to enjo—“

“Jessi...” She sighed. “Don’t give me that excuse. You know I won’t accept it.” She then moved her chair beside me and hugged me tightly.

“Tiffany...”

“I know what you’re up to...” She whispered as she started rubbing my back. “Just let it out...”

And those three words are enough for me to cry myself out.

“I-I’m s-sorry...” I hugged her back. “I’m sorry if I didn’t save your mother...”

I felt her hug me tightly (if that’s still possible).

“Jessi..... It’s not your fault...... Please..... Don’t burden yourself ‘coz...... it pained me seeing you like this...”





******

 

 


“Why did you choose becoming a doctor?”

Tiffany asked me seriously, interrupting my reverie about the rain which continuously poured from the skies.

I looked at her and answered her as serious as I can get at the moment.


“My dad died in front of me.....”

Tiffany looked on her lap after hearing that.

“Someone who’s now living his life in jail stabbed him.” I explained. “And I can’t do anything to stop the bleeding ‘coz I don’t know how to...... When the paramedics came, it was too late.”

I started to narrow my eyes as she looked back at me. “My mother died in front of me... too.” I choked out and she held my now trembling hands. “It was my first time experiencing the heart transplant thing and it didn’t end well...”

Tears started to fall from my eyes and out of instinct, Tiffany hugged me tightly.

“I promised myself to be better...... And so that I can save those who are important in my life...”

 

 


*****




I decided to wait for Tiffany since she’ll be off to work after an hour and while waiting, I used the time observing her.

There were times that she’ll stop working and looked back at me.

There were times that she’ll smile out of nowhere while working.

There were times that she’ll steal glances at me.

There were times that we’ll lock gazes and she’ll give me a smile.

And there were times that she’ll approached me and kiss my forehead.



These are some moments that I’ll remember all my life.





*****

 



“Hey, Jess?” Tiffany sat in front of me.

“Oh hey...”

Tiffany pouted. “Will you stop staring at me while I’m working?”

I raised one of my eyebrows at her. “Why? I love watching you.” I blurted out and I didn’t fail noticing the pinkness of her cheeks.

“You’re distracting me...” She whispered.

“Oh... Is that a bad thing....?” I asked as I held her hand.

She looked at me and our gazes locked. After seconds, she shook her head.

“I guess not. I love how you give me your attention.”

 

 


*****





After an hour, Tiffany and I finally got out of the cafe and we were greeted by the soft pouring of the rain.

“Uh.. Tiff?” I called as I rub my hands together, feeling the cold wind.

“Hmm?”

“My sister came a while back and borrowed my car.”

“Oh...”

I looked at her and let out an apologetic smile. “Let’s just ride a tax-“

“Just walk me home.” She abruptly said and smiled at me. “The rain’s not that heavy.”

I shook my head. “But Tiff-“

She jumped excitedly in front of me. “Oh c’mon Jessi! It’ll be fun!”

I looked at her, she’s serious.

She clasped her hands in front of me. “Please?”

I shook my head while smiling. “Why do you always get what you wanted?”

She kissed my cheek which caught me off guard. “Because you love me.”






*****

 

 


“Achuuuu!”

I shook my head as I placed a tissue on her nose. “This is why I don’t want us to walk under that heavy pouring rain!”

She stuck her tongue out at me. “You enjoyed it! Just admit it!”

I exhaled exasperatedly. “Okay, okay and that won’t happen again!”

“No wa- achuuuuu!” She looked at me and gave me a sheepish smile. “Sorry.”

I smirked at her. “It won’t happen again, Tiff.” I stood and got the cooked noodles. “Here eat this.”

I watched her eat the noodles and I was surprised when she tried feeding me.

“Uh, no thanks...” I said as I tilt my head at my sides, avoiding her attempts.

Tiffany grinned playfully. “Oh, c’mon Jess. I know you’re hungry too.”

I was about to protest again but she succeeded on placing the chopstick inside my mouth as I opened it.

I glared at her as I chew the food.

Her grin got wider. “You’re hungry, just admit!”

“Fine!” I resigned and got a chopstick as well. “Now let’s eat together!”

She smiled softly at me. “That’s what I thought.”


When we’re about to finish eating, we found ourselves eating the same strand of noodle. Both of its sides were stuck on our mouth.



I blushed when I saw the little space between our faces. I was about to cut the noodle with my teeth to stop what was about to happen but she stopped me.



“Wait...” She whispered carefully so not to cut the noodle.


I looked at her and she was already staring. “Ye-yes?”


She let out a sweet smile. “I want to try something... Don’t move.”


And I did what she told me as she carefully ate the noodle, easing the space between us bit by bit.
My heart pounded hardly when she held my shoulders. I can feel her breath on my lips. Just one more move ad we’ll kiss.



“Fany? Sica?”

The voice of her older sister startled both of us.

I pulled back hastily as I looked at Tiffany and I blushed furiously when she gave me a sweet smile.

 

 


*****




Her melodious laugh filled the night as she run carelessly.

“Yah! Tiff! Stop running will you!” I yelled as I tried catching her. “You’ll slip!”

And I sighed when she reached their front door safe and sound.

She grinned at me when I stopped in front of her. “You’re a worry wrat, Jess.”

I glared at her. “I was worrying about you! You must be grateful!”

She looked at me seriously. “Why should I?”


I touched her cheek with my hand. Maybe it’s time for me to show my affections toward her.

I closed my eyes. “You should. Not all people get this kind of attention.”





*****

 


“Mr. Hwang?” I called as I knock on his door.

“C’min! Oh hey dear! What’s up? Where’s Tiffany?” He asked me with a warming smile.

I smiled back. “She’s asleep...”

He frowned. “I bet you lull her to sleep again?”

I chuckled and nodded. “Yeah and I think I’m spoiling her with it.”

Mr. Hwang shook his head and smiled. “I think too but I think it’s okay.” He looked at me smiling. “She’s restless without you by her side.”

I smiled. “Why, thank you.”

He nodded. “It’s the truth. Oh why don’t you sit beside me?” He patted the space beside him on the couch.

I nodded and sat beside him.

“Sooo... What’s it that you like?”

I looked at him directly on the eyes. I want to get this straight.

I pulled a small box on my pocket and gave it to him. And I felt kinda nervous when he opened it.



“A ring for your youngest.” I uttered as he continued looking at the ring my parents gave me. I have its pair on my pocket. “She’s my everything... I’m afraid no, I’m scared to death if she’ll leave my side. I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.”

I inhaled deeply. “Please... it would be such a relief if I knew that were on the same side...”

I grew nervous when silence engulfed us. I looked at him and he is still staring at the ring.

“I...” I continued. “I have no doubts anymore... I know I’m ready. I even planned resigning on my work since I have enough money to support her and the whole family for the rest of my life. I.. I...” I nervously looked at him. “P-please... sorry for taking up too much of your time.”

I then stood without getting the ring from him and decided to leave give him time to think first. But I stopped when he laughed loudly.

I looked at him and he gave a warm smile. Tears fall from my eyes.


“Dear...?” Mr. Hwang called warmly.


“Y-yess?”



“Make my princess your queen.”

 

 


*****




I opened my eyes and I found her staring at me. I smiled warmly at her. It’s definitely the time I must show my affections.

I leaned in and kissed her forehead lovingly.





*****

 


“Did you tell her already?” Michelle, Tiffany’s sister asked me after I got her and Leo’s (Tiffany’s brother) approval.

I shook my head. “I need her to fall in love with me first.”

Leo patted my head. “Don’t worry about that, Sica-ah. I know my sister will return your feelings.”

 


*****




I smiled as I pulled back from the kiss.

“Jess...” Tiffany whispered as she looks at me.

I smiled and kissed her cheeks. “Let’s get you inside. I don’t want you to get sick.”

And Tiffany insisted and pleaded for me stay over the night. And so I found myself wearing her loose shirt and short shorts.

“Hey, you look good on my clothes.” Tiffany commented as I stepped out of her bathroom.

I shrugged. “I look good in everything I wear.”

She chuckled and threw a pillow at my face.

“Yah! What’s that for??” I asked as I threw the pillow back at her.

“You’re so full of yourself that’s why.” She chuckled.

I rolled my eyes as I sat beside her.


“Hey, come here...” She whispered and so I figured I’m not the only one who noticed the incredible distance between us.

I scooted closer, enough for us to speak and look at each other normally but I decided to lessen it more and so I cuddled her.

I blushed when she complied and in seconds, we found ourselves inside each other’s embrace, legs tangled, my hands around her waist, her hands around my neck and her face buried on the crook of my neck.

I let out a hitch when I felt her lips on my neck.

She chuckled. “You’re so jumpy.”

I poked her side. “It’s not my fault.”

“Yeah, yeah...” She whispered and after that it became quiet.



“Tiff? Tiffany...?” I called but she’s not responding. I smiled and took the opportunity to say something.


“I’ll be your strength, I’ll give you hope... I’m right here Tiff. Can you see me...? Can you see the one for you?”


 


**


The next day, I resigned on my work just like what I told Mr. Hwang before.

I quickly went into a flower shop and bought different color of flowers. After that, I went into a balloon shop and bought different colors. Then, I went in a school supplies shop and bought papers with different colors as well.

I grinned as I got all the things needed.


**


“Thank you for handing me your spare key.” I said as I bowed in front of Michelle.

She waved her hands dismissively. “It’s my pleasure so now go and make it already!”

I smiled and took off. After a couple of minutes, I reached their home and went inside Tiffany’s bedroom directly.

I laid the petals and flowers all over the floor and her bed while I let the balloons float freely on her ceiling.

I then smiled and began designing the wall beside her bed with the papers I bought. I made sure I made a big heart out of the papers. After that, I started scribbling notes on each paper about how I felt for her, about why I love her, about what I love about her, about why I chose her, abou—


My eyes widened when her door suddenly opened and a gasped followed it. I looked on the door to find Tiffany staring around her room and lastly, at me.



“Tiff...” I faced her. Oh for the love of god. I’m NERVOUS! Should I do it now?? How dumb of course!
I inhaled as I closed my eyes. I need to recollect myself first before I do it. As I open my eyes, Tiffany was now standing in front of me.


She’s beautiful.


I felt my heart skip a beat.



I gave her a warm smile and started. “I want to take you in my arms till the day my life is through.” I looked at her deeply as I touched her cheek tenderly with the back of my hand. “I give you my word, I give you my heart. And with this vow, my forever with you starts.”

Tears started to form on my eyes. The feeling is just overwhelming.

“I could not ask for more than to be with you, Tiff...”

She held my hands when she some tears escaped my eyes.

“Looking in your eyes...” I continued. “I can see all my needs. “Everything you are, is everything to me...”

I bit my lower lip as I decided to end my ramblings. “Tiffany Hwang, every word I say is true... I love you and I could not ask for more.”


When I ended, tears run down Tiffany’s cheeks and without warning, she kissed me.





“What took you so long?”








These are the moments, I know heaven must exist.

These are the moments all I know I need is this.

These are the moments I thank God that I’m alive.

I have all I’ve waited for.

And I could not ask for more.





And I also thank the rain for I think it made us meet each other.



 


END