You and I

"In A World Like This, I Got You..." (New: Nonsense)

********

 

Jessica stood beside their classroom’s door as she watches a particular girl on their school grounds complete her 3 laps. Her beautiful face adorned a frown when she noticed the girl tripped but smiled proudly when the girl stood right back and continued running.

And her smile became gentle when the girl jumped triumphantly after reaching the finish line. She was surprised when the girl looked up at her and gave her a thumb up.

Jessica blinked her eyes before letting out a chuckle. She waved at the girl before giving the latter a thumb up as well.

“Good Job, Tiff. Another record.” Jessica found herself whispering.

 

====

 

“Why should I take care of her? We’re of the same age!” An 8 year-old Jessica whined after hearing her father’s request.

Mr. Jung smiled affectionately. “Dear… This is the least we could do for your uncle Hwang and aunt Hwang.”

Jessica looked at her father innocently. “Why? What did they do?”

“They saved us remember?” Mr. Jung patted her daughter’s head. “They died because they saved us from those kidnappers, right?”

Jessica nodded. “Yeah! And I really really love them!”

Mr. Jung chuckled. “Now if you really love them, take care of their daughter eh?”

“Why? Where are they?”

Mr. Jung sighed. “Remember those bullets coming in our direction?”

Jessica nodded again.

“Instead of hitting us they hit them instead and dear because of that, they didn’t make it.” Mr. Jung explained. “Sweetheart, I hope you’ll understand.”

“I do understand, daddy.” Jessica pouted. “But why do I have to take care of her alone? Aren’t you and mommy gonna help me?”

Mr. Jung embraced her daughter. “We can’t help you this time, dear. Mom and dad can’t help you this time. Dad really needs to go abroad to do business for the you and Tiffany.”

“Jessica?”

“Yes, daddy?”

“Mom and dad love you. Always remember that.”

Jessica broke the hug and looked at him. “I love you two more but…” Jessica furrowed her eyebrows. “Is there something wrong?”

And for the first time in Jessica’s life, she saw tears flowing out from his father’s eyes.

“Yah! Why are you crying?!”

“My Jessica? Mom was also hit by two bullets…” Mr. Jung silently sobbed. “Mom didn’t make it as well.”

And for the first time in Jessica’s life, she felt pain.

 

 

*****

 

 

Tiffany smiled upon seeing the sleeping figure of a blond girl on a bench just outside their training room. She grinned before sitting beside Jessica, who in turn moved closer yearning the needed warmth.

Tiffany fixed her fringed. “Jess… I’m here already...”

“Yeah?” Jessica whispered softly before forcing herself to sit.

“I’m sorry for I kept you waiting.” Tiffany rubbed the blonde’s back to soothe her tiredness.

Jessica sighed before looking at her with half lidded eyes. “It’s okay besides, I don’t want you to go home alone this late. Want to go home now?”

Tiffany nudged her shoulder. “Of course we should go home! You look like you’re gonna pass out soon!”

Jessica shook her head and laughed loudly when she heard Tiffany’s stomach growled.

“Let me feed you first, love.”

Tiffany blushed at the nickname. Jessica noticed.

“S-sorry. C’mon let us eat first, Tiff. I‘m starving as well.”

Jessica quickly stood and dragged a smiling Tiffany beside her.

 

 

*****

 

 

“Hey…” An 8 year old Jessica greeted as she sat across from Tiffany on her bed.

Tiffany looked up and gave a hesitant smile towards her new found family.

“You’re Tiffany, right?” Jessica asked and the other nodded. Jessica smiled. “I’m sorry but I think you need to tolerate me for a long time.”

 

 

*****

 

 

It was exactly 10:00 in the evening when two pair of chopsticks came in contact at the same time over a poor kimbap.

“Yah! It’s mine.” Jessica protested but Tiffany was persistent.

“C’mon, Jess. I’m the first one who touched it.”

Jessica shook her head. “No, no. I touched this first.”

Tiffany pouted. “Plea-“

“Excuse me, miss?” The waiter suddenly interrupted the sweet battle between them. “The guy on that corner wanted me to give you this.”

Tiffany and Jessica looked at the man on the corner who smiled and waved at Tiffany before looking at the fresh made kimbaps in front of them.

Tiffany looked up at the waiter. “Tell him I said thanks.”

The waiter nodded before she left the two alone again.

Tiffany smirked at Jessica before grinning widely. “Oh well, I guess you can have that poor kimbap since I have a plateful here!”

“Yeah sure.” Jessica frowned. “I hope you enjoy eating those.”

And with a heavy heart, Jessica ate the poor lone kimbap while the other girl ate the plateful of kimbap without appetite anymore.

 

The next day, Tiffany surprisingly found a lunch box inside her bag full of freshly made sandwiches. Tiffany smiled upon seeing a note on it.

 

I hope they’re better than that guy’s kimbap.

 

And Tiffany found herself full of appetite again ever since that night.

 

 

*****

 

 

“Yah! What happened?!” A 10 year-old Jessica shouted as she crouched beside a 10 year-old Tiffany.

Tiffany sniffed as she looked at Jessica with teary eyes. “I tripped when I was about to reach the door and landed on my knees first.”

Jessica looked at her knees and saw them bleeding. She bit her lower lip before staring at Tiffany, assuring her.

“You’ll be alright, Tiff. C’mon let’s clean those wounds.”

Tiffany sniffed again as they walked inside their house.

“Tiffany stop crying, yeah?” Jessica sighed and sat the crying girl on their couch.

Jessica cleaned her wounds before rubbing Tiffany’s back. She sighed when Tiffany’s still sniffing.

“C’mon.” Jessica helped her up and led her to the kitchen. “I’ll make you your favorite sandwich so please stop crying.”

Tiffany then hugged her. “Thank you for taking care of me, Jessi…”

 

 

*****

 

 

Jessica paddled her legs faster when she saw Tiffany on the floor of the stage, holding her ankle.

She was informed by one of the student’s about an accident she wished didn’t happen.

“FANY!” She yelled before kneeling in front of the injured girl.

Tiffany looked at her with teary eyes. “I… I think I sprained my ankle.”

Jessica frowned as she gently wiped a tear that managed to escape the girl’s eye. Jessica looked around to see the other students around.

“What happened?”

“We’re practicing our stage performance again for the upcoming program.” Sooyoung, one of their friends explained. “But while dancing, she accidentally tripped and fell.”

Jessica bit her lower lip as she looked back at the girl in front of her. She sighed. “Again?”

Tiffany pouted. “It’s not my fault I always trip.”

Jessica exhaled loudly before holding Tiffany’s injured ankle. “Can you walk? We need to bring you to the clinic.”

Tiffany nodded. “Okay, but how did you know about this?”

Jessica shrugged as she supported Tiffany while standing. “News spread fast.”

“And you’re so fast when it comes to her.” Sooyoung teased.

“Shut up.” Jessica growled as she led them to the clinic.

Halfway to the clinic, Tiffany stopped walking and hugged a surprised Jessica.

Jessica rubbed her back, thinking that the girl’s ankle’s aching. “It’s okay, Tiff. You’ll be alright.”

“Thank you…”

“Eh?”

“Thank you for taking care of me…” Tiffany said as she smiled on Jessica’s shoulder blade.

“……”

“Jess?”

“No need to thank me, Tiff.”

Tiffany pulled back and kissed Jessica’s cheeks. She smiled.

“And thank you for the sandwiches! I ate them all for you!”

Jessica chuckled. “Whatever you say, now let’s get you to the clinic.”

 

 

*****

 

 

A 15 year-old Jessica sat beside a 15 year-old Tiffany on their couch.

“Hey, Tiff…” Jessica grimaced at the sight. “Why are you crying..?”

Tiffany sniffed. “I…I really miss them…”

Jessica smiled gently as she nodded in understanding.

“Don’t you think it’s cruel? Why did they die? Why them?”

Jessica inhaled as she tried to explain to Tiffany.

“Some things are meant to happen, Tiff…” Jessica looked on the floor. “I once questioned why mom died, why not others? But I somehow realize that… things happen just like that in order to give way for others things to happen…”

Tiffany looked at her as she sniffed. “Jess…”

Jessica reached for her hand. “Like this… I wouldn’t be here with you if those events didn’t happen…” Jessica smiled sincerely. “I would lie if I’d say I’m not sad that my mom and your parents died but… I could say that I’m happy since they gave me this opportunity to be with you.”

“Jessi…”

Jessica leaned forward and embraced the precious girl in front of her. “I’m happy to be with you and it’s enough to cover that particular hole death has made in my heart…” Jessica frowned. “I hope you understand Tiff and…. do you feel the same?”

 

Seconds passed by until Tiffany finally reciprocated the hug and Jessica smiled.

“Yes, Jessi…”

Jessica beamed. “I’m happy and proud of you then.”

 

 

******

 

 

Jessica continuously wiped her flowing tears with her hands while the other students clap their hands for their parents on stage. It was their way on showing their love for them.

It was their university’s family day event and it was one of the moments when Jessica wished that her parents could come and give her company. But even if you would flip the Earth, that won’t happen.

She wished that her father could come but she can’t fool herself. She knew her father’s always busy. Busy for their sake.

And so she looked up the stage and clapped her hands hard and loudly. Even though her parents were not there, she knew these claps she’s making could reached them and tell them that their daughter love them.

Halfway through clapping, gentle hands suddenly held hers and the moment Jessica looked up and have an eye contact with the owner, she finally let out all her bottled up emotions.

Tiffany knew no matter how tough Jessica is on the outside, she is just as fragile as what Tiffany on the outside. They’re opposites.

Tiffany tightened her embrace on the girl as she whispered comforting words on Jessica’s reddened ears.

“I’m here, Jess…I’m always here…” Tiffany kissed her forehead. “You’ll never be alone. We’ll always be together…”

 

 

*****

 

 

A 16 year-old Jessica approached Tiffany who’s busy tying different kinds of flowers in their balcony.

“Tiff?”

Tiffany jumped in surprise before lounging at Jessica.

Jessica almost spat the water she drank earlier if Tiffany did not let go of her immediately.

“Hey, Jessi!!” Tiffany’s smile is beaming. It was heaven. “These flowers are for you!”

Jessica’s cheeks immediately adorned a dark shade of pink. “Eh? T-thank you…”

And as Jessica was about to get them, Tiffany retreated them back. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows. “I thought those are for me?”

Tiffany nodded as she nodded.

“So… hand them to me eh?”

“No.”

Jessica looked at her incredulously. “Then why are you giving them to me?”

Tiffany gave a shy smile. “What will I receive in return?”

Jessica blinked her eyes before letting out a small chuckle. “Alright, fair enough.”

Without warning, Jessica slowly reached out. She wrapped her left arm around Tiffany’s neck to hug the girl while her right hand held the flowers, touching Tiffany’s hand as well.

Tiffany blushed when Jessica cuddled in the nook of her neck.

“Where did you get these, Tiff?”

“My group mates went hiking yesterday, right?

Jessica nodded and Tiffany smiled.

“And on the way down the mountain, I picked these flowers…for you.”

Jessica removed her hold on the flowers and fully hugged Tiffany tightly, the latter reciprocated.

“Thank you…”

Tiffany nodded as she closed her eyes.

“I really appreciated. Thank you so much.”

“You don’t know how thankful I am to have you instead, Jess.”

 

 

*****

 

 

Jessica balled her fist when she saw the heartthrob of their school approached Tiffany with yellow chrysanthemum flowers behind his back.

“He got some nerve, huh?” Yuri, one of their friends commented.

Jessica hissed when Tiffany received the flowers.

“Yellow chrysanthemum means secret admirer, right.” Yuri continued. “Wow, now it’s not a secret anymore haha!”

Receiving no response from her friend, Yuri looked at Jessica and sighed. “You know, you have to make up your mind. Are you gonna be her sister only or more than that? You need to decide, Sica. You two are not kids anymore. Boys surely would want to hit on the both of you…”

Yuri looked at her and noticed something. “Oh hey, nice flowers you have over there! Are those for Tiffany?? Red Tulips means declaration of love, right?? Oh how romantic of yo—“

“I’m going home, just tell Tiffany.”

With that said, Jessica turned around holding the beautiful red tulips with her trembling hands. She then abruptly stopped and shoved the flowers to Yuri.

“By the way, these flowers are for you, Yul. I love you so much..” Jessica practically left with tears forming on her eyes.

Yuri looked at the flowers in her hands before sighing and shaking her head.

“Yuri!”

Yuri looked at the approaching mushroom in front of her.

“Oh hey, Tiff!” She greeted as she let out a small smile. “Nice flowers.”

Tiffany smiled brightly as she shoved the flowers in Yuri’s hands.

Two zero. Yuri thought to herself.

“Yeah, they’re pretty but where is the beautiful lady you’re with a while back?” Tiffany looked around the place as she asked.

“Oh…” Yuri rolled her eyes. “You know if you want to flirt, do it in front of her not when she’s gone! Tsk tsk. What should we do with you guys?”

Tiffany pouted. “I just can’t seem to do these things in front of her.”

“I know, I know. It’s because she’s so proper, right.” Yuri patted her back. “Don’t worry, you’ll find the courage soon.”

Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows. “Where did she go anyway?”

“She wanted me to tell you that she went home first and oh, these red tulips are actually for you, Fany.” Yuri chuckled. “Jessica was just overwhelmed when she saw Nickhun approached and gave you flowers. She chickened out and went straight home.”

Tiffany looked at the flowers before getting them out of Yuri’s hold.

Yuri silently watched Tiffany as the latter grasped the sight of the flowers before she decided to intervene.

“They’re a beautiful, eh Tiffany?”

Tiffany looked at her and Yuri saw that happy and contented smile again in her eyes.

“They’re perfect.”

 

 

 

*****

 

 

A 17 year-old Jessica went home late once and freaked out when Tiffany was no where to be found inside their house. Considering that it’s almost 11:43 in the evening.

Jessica paced back and forth in the living room. Silently cursing and deciding if she should call the police, go outside and look for her or just wait inside for her to come.

“This is insane!” Jessica exhaled as she said out loud.

Just then, the front door opened and Jessica quickly scolded the surprised girl in front of her.

“Where did you go?! Don’t you know how worried am I?!”

Tiffany ducked her head in guilt as she tried to reason out. “I-I’m sorry… M-my classmates just invited me to g-go c-clubbing.”

Jessica’s ears perked up and she swear, she’s gonna explode soon. “C-CLUBBING?”

Tiffany nodded timidly as Jessica stared at her incredulously.

“Didn’t I tell you about what’s happening inside a club??”

“I’m s-sorry. I just c-can’t say no to m-my c-classmate.”

Jessica inhaled before exhaling loudly, a sign that she’s really upset, disappointed, and angry.

Tiffany felt really guilty.

“Who’s that precious classmate of yours anyway??”

Tiffany hesitated but answered nonetheless. She knew the name of the person she was about to say has no good terms in Jessica’s book and she doesn’t know why.

“N-N-Nickhun...”

Jessica scowled loudly and Tiffany found herself scared for the first time in front of Jessica.

“Oh, that boy who’s head over heels to you?”

Tiffany glanced at her before looking back on the floor. She nodded.

Jessica hissed and Tiffany bowed.

“Jess, I’m really sorry!”

Jessica narrowed her eyes. “Tiffany, don’t bow. Will you stand properly?”

Tiffany complied but regretted doing so after seeing Jessica’s sweet fake smile.

“What’s that pinkish spot on your neck?”

Tiffany bit her lower lip but decided to be honest with Jessica.

“He suddenly kissed my neck while we’re dancing and I didn’t n-notice t-that h-he b-bit it.”

Jessica balled her fists and she suddenly felt herself trembling.

“You know what?”

Tiffany looked down. “Jessi… please don’t.”

“I don’t care anymore.” Jessica gritted her teeth.

“Jess…” Tiffany’s tears started to flow from her eyes. She knew she disconnected something between her and Jessica and it was starting to kill her.

“I don’t care what you do anymore.” Jessica turned around and walked upstairs. She slammed her room’s door and slid down the floor.

“God damn it. I’m jealous of him, Tiff. Can’t you see it?”

In the living room, Tiffany scampered to the bathroom and cleaned that spot where Nickhun kissed her. She badly needed to erase it but ended up crying on the floor when the red spot didn’t disappear.

If she didn’t let Nuckhun have the chance to kiss her while they were dancing, this wouldn’t happen.

If she didn’t agree on coming in the club with Nickhun and the others, this wouldn’t happen.

Tiffany cried that night and fell asleep on the floor. When she woke up, she was already in her room. She stood and went to the kitchen. Hoping to find Jessica but she was only greeted by a post it note.

 

Don’t wait for me to come home today. Need to do something.

 

Something inside Tiffany twitched when she read the last line.

 

Just do whatever you want.

 

Something was really disconnected between them.

 

 

******

 

 

Tiffany paced back and forth in the living room as she inhaled the scent of the red tulips in her hands.

It was 1:34 in the morning but still, no sign of Jessica.

Tiffany groaned in displeasure a she got her coat and keys before stepping out of the house.

She decided to find Jessica and got news to Yuri that Jessica decided, for the first time, go clubbing by herself.

Tiffany furiously trudged her way toward a blond girl who’s downing vodka. She didn’t care if she pushed the other people around with too much force as she passed by them. All she cares now was to get Jessica home.

When Jessica was about to down another glass of vodka, she snatched it and drank it herself.

Jessica looked at her for a second before looking on the floor.

“Let’s go home.” Tiffany demanded but Jessica only shook her head. “I said let’s go home.”

“No.”

Tiffany gritted her teeth. “You told me that clubbing is dirty and now you’re here? Let’s go home.”

Jessica looked at her blankly. “You once experienced clubbing, so it’s fair enough for me to try it.”

Tiffany shook her head as she held Jessica’s cold hand. “I’m not allowing you that’s why I’m here. Now let’s go.”

“No.” Jessica insisted.

“Jessica…” Tiffany used her full name, a sign that she’s dead serious.

Jessica looked around. “I can’t go, you know. I promised to someone that I’d go with him.”

Tiffany’s eyes widened in anger. “WHAT!?”

Jessica looked at her and giggled. The alcohol’s taking its effect. “The boy’s really handsome, Tiff.”

That’s the last straw as Tiffany forcefully drags the blond girl outside.

“What’s with you!?” Jessica shouted once they were outside. “I said I can’t go right??”

Gritting her teeth, Tiffany held Jessica’s shoulders and pinned her on the near wall.

“If you want me to feel what you’ve felt before, then you’re winning Jessica.”

Jessica raised one of her eyebrows before laughing. “Oh, really? I didn’t do anything yet but kiss with the boy.”

Tiffany felt herself exploding in anger and jealousy.

Jessica giggled. “And I tell you what? He’s a kisse—“

Tiffany finally shot her up by kissing her hardly on the lips. She planned to do it just to shut her up but she didn’t expect herself to do more. She deepened the kiss as she tried to ask for entrance.

Jessica suddenly moaned which Tiffany took as a cue to kiss her passionately.

After a couple of seconds, Tiffany finally felt Jessica reciprocating and so she loosened her hold on the latter’s shoulders and wrapped them on her waist instead.

Jessica slowly wrapped her arms around Tiffany’s neck as she slowly gets what was happening. She’s not drunk anymore.

They broke the kiss when air was needed.

Tiffany connected her forehead with Jessica’s.

“I received the red tulips by the way.”

Out of embarrassment, Jessica buried her face on Tiffany’s chest.

 

 

 

Tiffany smiled.

“And I love you too, Jessica.”

 

 

*****

 

 

A 2o year-old Jessica smiled as she saw Tiffany approached her.

“Congratulations, love.” Jessica greeted when Tiffany hugged her tightly.

“Congratulations…” Tiffany whispered as she smiled.

It was their graduation, finally.

Tiffany pulled from the hug and stared at Jessica’s eyes longingly.

“What are you planning to do now?”

Jessica smiled brightly, it was heaven for Tiffany.

“I’m planning to be with you forever, Tiff.”

Tiffany chuckled.

“You and I?”

Jessica nodded as she bended and whispered in Tiffany’s ear.

“I love you…”

Tiffany smiled and it was heaven for Jessica.

“I love you too…” Tiffany answered back.

Jessica kissed her forehead. “I do…”

Tiffany smiled, enjoying the love emitted through the kiss.

“I do….”

And the now gold rings on their ring finger shined and sparkled brightly as the two made their future together.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

 

 

END