07. Light Up the Night

Luminosity

He picked up a small lightbulb from the table in front of him and held it up to the audience to show them that it was simply a lightbulb. “I have this lightbulb here. As you can simply see, it doesn’t have a connecting wire anywhere.” He explained to everyone.

“Now watch the lightbulb as it lights up without electricity.” He said, and the light glowed. The audience gave him an applause and then he quieted them down.

"I have one more trick for you, the color will now turn orange." He said and the lightbulb followed his command.

Haedeum watched in awe, he had that stage presence and she also wondered how he was able to do that trick. It was magic but every magician had a secret. She looked around him for some sort of connection but she couldn't see it. His orange suit was distracting her from being able to see the secret behind his trick. 

Sandeul set the lightbulb down and looked around in the crowd. He was met with five knowing faces that gestured to the front row. He saw her then and he glowed, now he had to make his show the best it ever was. 

"Now, ladies and gentleman." Sandeul said grandly, and the audience quieted down. He held out his arms and smiled, "What do you know about the light spectrum?" He asked, holding a round lantern in his hands. It looked like a lantern at least, but Haedeum saw some familiarity between it and the dream she had.

The audience all murmured amongst themselves but no one answered outright. Sandeul nodded once, "Very well. So to your eyes, you can only see the visible light spectrum, which can also be categorized as the rainbow. So, you can see red." He tapped the lantern and it turned red.

"You can see blue definitely." He tapped the lantern again and it turned blue, "There are some that argue that purple isn't a color." He said, tapping the lantern once more while turning for the audience to see the color change.

"However, I count it." Sandeul said, smiling, "Another color that you can see is yellow." He said, changing the lantern again.

He gestured for an audience matter, "Now, whose favorite color is green?" He asked, changing the lantern once more. There were a few hands raised as well as Lime’s, hence the nickname, of course. Haedeum smiled to herself as she saw Lime raise her hand, her best friend would be enthusiastic for this magician.

She watched him turn towards them and he gave her a head nod and smiled, she smiled back at him nervously. 

He turned around back to the other side and tapped the lantern again, this time it turned pink, "Now, whose favorite color is pink?" He asked and Lime grabbed Haedeum's hand and threw it up in the air. 

"Yah!" Haedeum shouted at her friend, but Lime wouldn't let her put her hand down. Sandeul turned towards them and smiled her way again. 

But Haedeum knew there was something different about it, it was more of a knowing smile. Like he knew her favorite color was pink. His arm stretched out and he gestured for her to come forward.

Haedeum looked at him in shock, and pointed at herself in disbelief. Sandeul nodded at her and she obeyed this time, getting out of her seat and walking towards him in the ring.

"Hello there, I'm in need of an assistant for this trick." He said loudly to the crowd. He turned to Haedeum, "What's your name?" He asked her.

"Haedeum." She mumbled quietly, but he still heard it.

"Welcome, Miss Haedeum. You will be my assistant for today." Sandeul said proudly, "Well, I will show Miss Haedeum that she can change the color of the lanterns too." He said.

"First, I will let her hold the lantern together with me." He announced, nodding at her to put her hands on the sides while he put one on top and one on the bottom.

"Now think of a color and then tap the lantern, it'll change." Sandeul said and Haedeum tried it out.

She bit her lip and thought of how she liked that yellow from her dream, the one that looked like the sun. She tapped the lantern once and it changed to that color.

But she heard him tap it as well, so he was cheating. But it was part of the attraction, the illusion.

"Okay, now tap it again." He said and Haedeum listened thinking a nice magenta to change it to.

And the lantern once again changed to the color in her mind, but she couldn't feel him tap it this time. Which was weird but she just dismissed it at first.

She continued to tap it and the colors changed rapidly, green, blue, orange, red, over and over again. The audience watched in amazement as it seemed like she had learned the same trick as him.

Sandeul took the lantern away from her, "So everyone, here is my lovely assistant, Haedeum, and this is the end of my show." Sandeul raised his hands up and a bunch of colored lanterns emerged from behind the seats and floated around the audience.

There was an uproar of applause for him and she was embarrassed for standing next to him when everyone was cheering. And she turned around to go back to her seat. But Sandeul took her hand in his and let her bow down to the audience for being a wonderful assistant.

He continued to hold her hand and had her bow all around to each side of the audience. She was nervous but held herself together. The crowd dissipated and Lime and Luna had left her giving her knowing glances and she glared at them as they abandoned her.

She Sandeul and he had a wide grin on his face, "Thank you very much for helping me, Miss Haedeum." He told her.

"You need to tell me how you changed the lantern without touching it." Haedeum demanded of him.

"That was all you." He told her.

"You're a liar. I couldn't have done that. I don't have the power to do so, I'm not an illusionist." She said.

"Who said you were? You really don't remember, huh, Haedeum?" He said, dropping down to a casual tone, as if they were close friends.

"What are you talking about? I don't know you!" She shouted at him. "And I can't do magic."

He gave her a sad smile, "Take a lantern with you, and tap it yourself at home. You'll see." He told her, pointing at the lanterns around them. "Come and find me, when you know the truth." He waved her goodbye, leaving her alone in the big tent.


Author's Note;; 
Here is another update, guys! :3 I had some down time between school assignments and work. :o 
please enjoy! I hope to get this done soon. :o Then I can do more stories! I might jump on the exo bandwagon >___< lol.