09. The Truth

Luminosity

“When did you get there?” Haedeum asked him and she grabbed the lantern off the floor and set it on the table. It had dimmed down to almost no light since the rooms had lit up all the lightbulbs in her house. He waved his head and the house dimmed down as he turned off a few of the lights. 

“Let me in?” He asked her, nodding his head towards her door. 

“How did you find my house?” She asked him cautiously as he sighed, “Did you follow me home?” She accused.

“No. You still don’t remember?” He asked her, a frown creasing on his face. He was disappointed that she had not figured it out yet. She had to remember or else, he would never get to talk to her like he used to.

“I don’t know what you mean. Like remember what?” Haedeum said exasperatedly. “What could you possibly want me to remember?!” She threw her arms up in the air in frustration, she didn’t want to pull out her hair in front of him. It would not have been a pretty sight. 

“Could you let me in? I’ll tell you a story.” He said. “It’s uncomfortable out here.”

She narrowed her eyes at him, “You’re not some psychotic who wants to kill me right?” She asked him suspiciously.

He rolled her eyes at her, “If I wanted to do that, then don’t you think I would have already?” He replied to her. 

“Good point.” She said, walking towards her door and he did the same from the outside. She turned the lock and saw that he was waiting for her with a smile on his face. 

"What are you even doing here, Sandeul? Don't you have a show to take care of?" She asked him, as he walked into her house. He made himself comfortable on her couch and she followed him.

"You're more important than some show." He replied to her. "Besides, I can't just leave you hanging right? I told you when you tested out your powers then I would tell you." 

"What powers? You just said I could do your parlor trick and you probably rigged the lantern anyway." Haedeum argued with him, her arms folded across her chest. She was unsure if it was a good idea to let this guy Sandeul spew her some more lies. 

"It's not a parlor trick, it's your heritage," He sighed, "A long time ago, there was a City of Light that co-existed with the rest of the human race. It's not that people who lived there were not human, but they were special. They could control lights and at first, they lived separate but then the humans became afraid of them. So we had to hide, we could no longer live in peace in our little world. We had to disperse and lose our unity.

And now, those that remember go out and find the others, adults and children, that have forgotten the old ways. And you're one of them, Haedeum, you've forgotten." Sandeul said, finishing his story and giving her a stern look. 

Haedeum looked at him in shock, why would he tell her this if she didn't remember it? "That doesn't make any sense. Why would I have been born there?" She asked him.

"You were born there, it's not something you can argue. You were born in the City of Light and you had powers." He told her, "Just practice and you'll remember. You used to run around in the field making lanterns just like this one." 

Haedeum frowned, it wasn't possible that this was related to her dream, was it? She didn't think it was a memory, but more like her imagination. But she couldn't deny that the lantern had been the same pink in her dream. 

"You knew pink was my favorite color, how?" She asked him.

"We used to be best friends when we lived next door to each other in the City." Sandeul explained to her carefully.

"Best friends?" Haedeum asked, closing her eyes. She thought back to the dream she had and how there were five people in it. "Did you have any friends?" 

Sandeul smiled, "Lots, so did you. But you should try to remember for yourself." He said.

"What is there to remember? I don't know. I remember being in the field with the lanterns, there were green, blue, orange, yellow, pink and there were a bunch of people on a hill nearby." She snapped in frustration, standing angrily. The lights flickered as her words cut through Sandeul. 

She let out a deep breath and they flickered again in a different pattern. She calmed her breathing and they returned back to normal. "Where is the City?" She asked. "Is that why my parents are always absent?" 

Sandeul let out a sad sigh, "They are busy trying to organize everyone together to get back to the City. They are actually the ones in charge of the movement to bring everyone back." He explained to her, "That's why I don't really understand why they let you forget."

"They were never around, how could I have remembered the City?" She sighed, sitting back down on the couch. 

"So do you remember now?" He asked her.

"It's coming back in bits and pieces, the more "power" I use. But I'm still not sure what our relationship was." She answered him.

He took out two roses wrapped with a yellow ribbon, "Do you want to try and remember that? I can try and teach you some new things that I learned after the City was destroyed."

She took the roses out of his hands and smiled, "So you were the one who has been sending me roses, but that means you know Shin Dong Woo and Hyukjin at my school." She told him.

"They're both children of the City, so were my other friends at the carnival." Sandeul told her, "Now stand up and we can try some new things," he held out his hand to her and she took it, standing up. 

He gave her a smile and she returned it, he could get his Haedeum back.


Author's Note;;
second to last chapter~ almost done :3
i condensed the chapters together that's why. But enjoy! ^-^