05. Carnival

Luminosity

They stood in line with their trays to grab their lunch, it was fried rice with orange chicken today. Luna looked down at her plate in disgust, “Come on guys, you know you actually like it.” Haedeum chided the both of them.

“That’s easy for you to say, you don’t really care what you eat for lunch.” Luna replied as they walked to an empty table this time.

“I like eating. Period.” Haedeum remarked, sitting down as Lime sat down beside her.

“Yeah, you’ve said that already.” Luna said, rolling her eyes, “Now onto more important matters. That cute guy.”

“This again?” Haedeum said, playing her part. “I thought you went to see him yesterday already.” 

Luna glared at her, “We did. But he didn’t pick Jessica so obviously, there’s still a chance for the rest of us.” She said, tossing her hair over her shoulder, “Besides, you didn’t even go last night so you didn’t get to see him at all.”

“Lime texted me a picture.” Haedeum said casually, “I can see why everyone is so hyped up about him.” 

Lime rolled her eyes, “Oh please. You know that you think he’s cute. You should just come with us tonight.” She said, in a whiny voice.

“Well, I did finish the essay, so maybe I will.” Haedeum said, shrugging her shoulders.

“Are you guys talking about the carnival?" Hyukjin asked, coming up behind them. Haedeum could recognize his voice anywhere and he immediately froze.

"Yeah, you should really hook us up with the magician. I know you know him!" Lime told him, forgetting that they were talking to the team captain, Mr. Popularity.

He smiled at her and turned to Haedeum, "You should go, I think you'll enjoy it." He said. 

"I'll have to think about it, carnivals aren't really my thing." Haedeum said, making a face. Luna watched her in awe as she spoke to Hyukjin casually like she wasn't aware of his presence.

"I think you'll like the acts there though, they aren't too scary, and it's not like it's a freak show." Hyukjin told her, "But of course, it's up to you. I'm gonna go again tonight after I finish my essay as well." He waved goodbye to all of them before heading to his own table with Jieun waiting for him.

Luna let out a gasp of disbelief, "You really don't care how you act around him do you?" She asked Haedeum.

She shrugged, "I have no chance with him, he has a girlfriend. So why should I worry about how I act?" She answered.

"He was trying really hard to get you to go to the carnival tonight." Lime pointed out.

"Maybe because I'm the only one who has yet to go." She countered, "Besides, with how fast gossip travels around here I'm sure everyone already knows I didn't go last night." Haedeum said, giving Lime a look.

"True." Luna conceded and she narrowed her eyes at Haedeum, "So are you going tonight or what?"

She smiled slightly, "Sure." 

~

After putting all her books in her locker, Haedeum followed Lime and Luna as they led her to where the traveling carnival was. They didn't bother changing out of their school uniforms because they wouldn't do anything to disgrace the school.

Haedeum heard both of them gush over the magician guy again but she didn't really listen. She didn't enjoy hearing them repeat and speculate the same things over and over again. 

She walked around and saw that there were many tents surrounding them. There were lanterns hanging to light up the night so no one got lost. She saw that came in different colors just like her dream did. 

She crashed into Lime who had stopped walking and she glared at her, "What are you doing?" She asked.

Lime pointed to Haedeum's right and she looked, a guy with a bull's hat on his head, dressed in green was standing right beside her. She jumped from the unexpected surprise.

"Hello." She said politely, recovering quickly.

He held out a singular red rose with a yellow ribbon tied around it. "For you, dear." He said.

"Thank you." She stammered. "But why?" She asked him, taking the rose from him.

"It's from a friend of mine. He asked me to give it to you. But you should come and see my act if you have time." He told her, "Bring your friends along too." He walked away from them and the two girls immediately followed him leaving Haedeum behind. She looked at them in amazement as they just blindly followed this guy. They had no idea where he was going to take them.

She shook her head and followed them right after, because he looked like a performer anyway, so he couldn’t have been lying. They went into the red tent and she saw that there were already people sitting in the seats provided around the ring. The guy they were following walked to the center of the ring but he gestured at Haedeum to sit in the front row. 

Luna and Lime eagerly obeyed and sat at the edge of their seats as they watched him, Haedeum sat down robotically, as she looked confused at him. He smiled at her and bowed towards the crowd. “Welcome everyone. I am Baro and I am here to show you all my trick of the carnival. Please welcome my companion, Sam.” He said as his assistant walked a lion out into the ring. 

The crowd cheered as the lion had a leash on it and the assistant walked away from the ring. “I have been friends with Sam, since we were little. So here is my trick with him.” Baro said, taking a giant hoop and holding it out just above his waist. He made a gesture at Sam and he jumped through the hoop and roared. Baro smiled at his friend before tossing him a piece of meat. 

Sam ate it hungrily, Haedeum watched the duo did trick after complicated trick, her heart palpitating whenever Sam got too close to Baro. He was a vicious creature and yet with Baro, he was kind. As if Baro was the only one to have shown him kindness his whole life.

At the end of his act, Baro bowed as Sam was whisked away to be fed more steak and Baro the lion tamer bowed. He waved goodbye to Haedeum and gestured at the tent next to them, she looked at it and saw that it was green in color. 

“There is another act that you should see as well.” He said, walking up to her.

“What is it?” She asked him.

He smiled, “You’ll see.” He walked through the back of his tent and disappeared. 

Luna and Lime made squealing noises as they pounced on Haedeum, “He was so cute! See! You could get guys if you wanted to!” They both yelled at her. 

“Whatever, he said we should go see the act over there.” She pointed at the tent beside them.

“He gave you a rose!” Lime exclaimed to her. “That means something! Oh my god, you could totally get that cute magician guy now!” 

Haedeum rolled her eyes, “Come on, let’s just go to the next tent over.” She led the way and as they walked in, they saw a red-haired guy in the back with an audience in front of him. There were three seats in the front row and the other two girls ran for them. She joined them and saw the redhead look at her. He winked, once they sat down, he looked to the crowd in front of him.

"Welcome, ladies and gentleman. My name is Jinyoung and I have some classic magic tricks for you. My act is different from Sandeul's but you'll see his act later." He said, elaborating his explanation.

"So, first I have a gift." He reached into his hat, and took out two red roses with yellow ribbons tied around them. He handed them to Haedeum, "For the lady." He said.

She smiled at him cautiously, confused over this whole rose matter, "Thank you." She said politely, taking them from him.

"Okay, so here we are! I have to show you my bunny as well." Jinyoung announced happily, he pulled out a gray rabbit out of his hat. He wowed the crowd with his playing cards and his lovely assistants being cut in half.

Haedeum looked bored for most of it, but that was because she had watched Magician's Secrets before where they revealed how all the tricks were done. Jinyoung smiled before taking a bow and leaving. 

Lime and Luna squealed at Haedeum again as they gushed over how good-looking Jinyoung was. "We told you that you would attract guys." Luna said, nudging her shoulder. 

"Whatever." Haedeum said rolling her eyes at them. "Come on, you wanna see the magician again right?" She asked them.

"Of course! Let's go!" Luna cheered, leading the way to the next tent.


Author's Note;;
lol. well that failed guys.. :o school started yesterday, and this fic is still in progress. :o 
i will attempt to finish this by september then! lol and hopefully get halfway through my other series fics. :o 
but please bear in mind. my job has me working 4 days a week, waking up at 5:30AM on school days as well as homework (I'm a senior)
So please be patient~ but anyway enjoy :3