02. Outcast

Luminosity

Haedeum paid attention in class as the teacher taught them about physics and how light reflected in the world, he talked about electricity and how it worked. She started doodling in her notebook as the teacher continued lecturing. It seemed nonsensical to her to make a lecture about how electricity worked. The formula was simple, a person had to complete the circuit and that was all that there was to it.

It provided wattage and she knew that it worked in her house. She knew why it stopped working in her house when there was a power outage, that something was wrong in the circuit. She sighed as the teacher continued to drone on and on. She drew a little lightbulb on her piece of paper, she found herself drawing an entire chandelier before the teacher ended the class and left. It was an elaborate mess of swirls, curlicues, and lightbulbs. 

Lime tapped her shoulder, “Come on, daydreamer, it’s time for lunch. I know you want to get a good spot in the cafeteria to stare at Hyukjin.” She said, pulling her friend up and leaving the classroom behind. They headed to the cafeteria and Lime found Luna in line and the two of them started gushing about the cute guy at the traveling carnival.

“He does this really cool magic trick. And he picked me to be his assistant.” Luna said proudly, gloating as she gave a sidelong glance at Jessica in line. The girl stood up straight, nose in the air as she huffed away. “She always thinks she’s prettier.” Luna whispered to Lime.

“Yeah, well she does have a lot of guys’ attention since Lee Jieun is taken.” Lime replied back. “Besides, you can’t deny that she is pretty.” 

Luna sighed, “Yeah, I know. But still.. She shouldn’t be so full of herself. Like Haedeum could get guys too if she talked to them.” She said, brushing Haedeum’s arm.

“Huh?” Haedeum said, coming back into the conversation. 

“Luna said you could attract all the guys if you tried. But you only have eyes for Hyukjin and you don’t want to flirt with other guys.” Lime said sarcastically rolling her eyes.

“I don’t think I could attract guys.” Haedeum countered, “I’m not that pretty.” 

“Oh, please, Haedeum. Have you seen the guys watching you? If you weren’t so lost in your own world all the time, some of them would have actually talked to you by now.” Luna told her. She rolled her eyes as she was served her food. She held her tray up in disgust as she saw the stew and rice on her plate.

“At least they try to feed us.” Lime reminded her, “It’s better than having no food.” 

“Yeah, yeah. Still, they could at least give us more tasty choices. I would rather have the burgers and fries like they did before.” Luna told her, grabbing a fork and going to find a table. 

“Well, you can blame that on Jessica and her parents for arguing that it was making her fat.” Lime said, sending a glare her way. “As if anything made her fat.” 

“Guys, relax. The stew isn’t that bad. Besides, be grateful it’s not the pasta salad they tried making that one time.” Haedeum said, sitting down at a table that the two other girls passed. There was one other guy on the table and she started eating.

“Yah, Haedeum, what are you doing?” Lime nudged her.

“Eating. What does it look like?” Haedeum said, scrunching her eyebrows together in confusion.

“Get up, Haedeum. We can’t sit here.” Lime whispered loudly at her, still standing up.

“Why not? There’s nowhere else to sit in the cafeteria.” Haedeum said, refusing to budge. “Besides, it’s not like there isn’t room for us to sit here. There’s five other chairs.”

“But that’s—" Luna hastily whispered but the guy on the table looked up at all of them.

“What are you waiting for?” He asked them.

“I have no idea. They refuse to sit down and eat lunch even though there’s space at this table.” Haedeum said. She scooped another spoonful of rice into .

“Please sit down.” The guy said, gesturing at the table before putting his head back down again. 

Luna and Lime gulped before sitting in the chairs farthest from him.

“What’s wrong with you guys anyway?” Haedeum asked them. She noticed that the both of them tried to keep as far away from the guy as possible.

“Don’t you know who that is?” Luna asked her, leaning closer. Haedeum shook her head, “That’s Shin Dong Woo. Everyone thinks he’s crazy. Gosh, I can’t believe you don’t know.” 

“I don’t listen to the gossip like you do.” Haedeum replied. 

“Yeah, well, maybe you should start.” Luna dismissed her and ate her lunch quickly. She barely had time to taste what she was eating as she tried to get out of there as fast as possible.

“What’s wrong with this guy anyway?” Haedeum asked, keeping her voice low. She wasn’t even sure it was polite to be talking about him while he was sitting beside her. But he appeared to be sleeping and it wasn’t fair of Luna to just say something like that and leave.

“Do you really wanna know?” Dong Woo asked her, lifting his head up.

Haedeum jumped up in surprise and smiled, “Sure. I’m curious as to why I can’t be friends with you, or even sit by you.” 

“I make the lights flicker in all the classrooms I sit in while sitting in my desk sleeping.” He told her simply. 

“How can you do that?” Haedeum looked at him in surprise. “That’s impossible.” 

He smirked at her, “You just have to know how.” He said, grinning before getting up from the table. “Enjoy your lunch, Haedeum. Maybe I’ll see you around.” He pushed his chair closed, weird as his hand rested on the seat. 

“Thanks.” She smiled, watching him walk away. “That was interesting.” She commented.

“Yeah, maybe for you.” Lime said angrily to her. “Hurry up, let’s go everyone is staring at us.” 

“Wait.” Haedeum said, as she finished her last bites. Lime already shook her head and moved to leave her behind. She sighed and started to eat slower. If she was going to leave the cafeteria by herself, there was no need to rush anymore. 

She pulled out his seat when she noticed something yellow there, it was another rose wrapped with a yellow ribbon. She looked at it in surprise and thought back to Dong Woo. He couldn’t have been the person who was giving them to her, that would be weird.

She saw a piece of paper next to the flower and picked it up as well. 

Not from me. But someone wants you to know: fireflies.

She looked at the note, confused. She tucked into her pocket and held the rose in her hand, she would add it to the other rose she already had. 

This Shin Dong Woo was interesting, she needed to see this light thing. She walked by all the classrooms and saw him sitting in one by himself, with his head down. She watched through the window in the door and he fidgeted causing the lights to flicker. 

It surprised her and she saw him move to get up and she ran away from the door back to the safety of her own classroom. That wasn’t possible, no wonder he was an outcast. He was weird.

She sat down next to Lime and hid the second rose in her bag.

“Where have you been?” Lime whispered at her.

“Eating the last of my food.” Haedeum answered and stuck her tongue at her. 

“Come with me to the traveling carnival. It’ll help get rid of the rumors that you have a thing for Shin Dong Woo.” Lime told her.

“No. I’m going home tonight. I already told you.” Haedeum said.

Lime groaned, “Fine, your loss. I’ll be sure to send you pictures.” 

“Good.” 


Author's Note;;
Another update :) heheh :3 <3
Yay~ let's get this done~ :D <3
more Sandeul to come~