03. Text

Luminosity

Haedeum left Lime as they parted ways at the school gates, she still tried to get Haedeum to go to the fair with her and Luna but Haedeum wasn’t having it. She wanted to go home and lie on her bed, for some reason, she felt really tired and drained that day. She counted her steps on the sidewalk, avoiding the lines and the cracks. 

She managed to get two steps per square by the time she got home, making her strides longer and and faster. She got into her house safely, right before the sun went down and switched on her house lights. Her keys made a sharp noise as she threw them on her table, crashing into her couch. She turned her television on and started watching whatever was on the drama channel at the time.

It was time for her to relax for a bit, then onto math and history homework. She really couldn’t imagine how the other girls at school got good grades when all they did was ogle the boys all the time. She had her crush on Hyukjin, sure but she wasn’t about to let it distract her from school. 

She sighed to herself as the hour came to an end and she pulled out her textbooks and some note paper to start her homework. She hated her calculus teacher, it was ridiculous that she had tenure with the way she taught the class. If it wasn’t for her math teacher before, then she would be failing this class right now. She got through all her derivatives and progressed to her history homework. She had to write up an essay on why it was right for the government to wage wars on other countries like they did in the past. 

It didn’t really make sense to her for the government to meddle in other people’s affairs or why they formed alliances with countries, but it was not something she could change so she ignored it for the most part. Politics were never something that interested her to begin with. Starting an essay for her was always the hardest thing to do, making up a beginning.

But once she got past the beginning, she could write forever and her arguments would begin to develop as she wrote. Haedeum didn’t really like doing first drafts or second drafts, she like writing out all of her thoughts at once. But she knew that proofreading was the key to success so often, she would have to reorganize her papers to make sure they were coherent.

The sun went down and only the light hanging above her was keeping her awake as well as allowing her to see what she was writing. That was another thing about this teacher, he liked receiving handwritten drafts but typed final copies. She didn’t really understand why he wanted the drafts in the first place, if all that mattered was the end result. 

She got the essay done and typed it out quickly so she could print it out for the next day. As soon as the printer spat out the last page, her lights flickered. She sighed to herself and went to her room to grab some candles before the power cut out. She lit them and stayed in her living room, unplugging things to make sure it didn't short when it came back.

Plopping herself on her couch, she laid her body out and stretched her muscles. Her shoulders were tense and she knew it was because she was carrying around her backpack. She took in a deep breath and realized that the candle she had lit was lavender scented. She closed her eyes and relaxed, what better time to take a nap than when the lights were out. 

Looking at the back of her eyelids, she soon fell asleep. But then her Samsung rang out and she sighed, disappointed. Just when she was getting comfortable, and then Lime had to text her. She knew it was about the traveling circus. 

Yah, Haedeum! You’re really missing out! Lime had texted her.

She rolled her eyes and texted back, No, I’m not. I was in the middle of trying to sleep.

Yes you are! The cute magician guy that Luna talked about is even cuter in person! Lime said, Haedeum could imagine the excitement on her friend’s face as she punched the buttons on her keyboard.

Whatever, it doesn’t matter to me anyway. Haedeum replied to her.

Lime took a while to send her next text but when Haedeum received it she knew why, she had sent her a candid picture of the magician boy in the middle of his act. He was decently cute, Haedeum had to admit that, but she was nothing special. There was no reason for her just to go out there and visit him at the traveling circus.

For all she knew, Jessica would have managed to get with him already. She was always the one who got the guys first. Except for Hyukjin, he never went to Jessica, he found Jieun right away and stuck by her. Haedeum looked around and saw the roses she received today. The red roses were a sign of someone’s love for another, passionate love. And it was weird that she got one anonymously in her locker and then another from Shin Dong Woo, who she had never heard about until today.

His weird thing about the lights was odd as well, it had to be because he was haunted or something. That’s why it flicker on and off while he was sleeping. Which would be a reason why people would want to alienate him. But the rose, he couldn’t have known that she had gotten one that day, with the same yellow ribbon. And he was a messenger for someone who liked her? But he had no friends.

But more importantly, who would be attracted to her, she never attracted the attention of any guy. Ever. She sighed to herself, she didn’t understand the note either, what about fireflies did she have to know? She sighed again, throwing her phone on the table beside her and closing her eyes again.

She still had no power so she was just going to sleep through the night, tomorrow morning, she would have to help Lime with that essay that was due anyway. That girl didn’t know how to time manage especially when it came to boys. 

Haedeum fell into deep sleep without Lime texting her again.


Author's Note;;
Another update! Lol. I have no idea if I'll finish this by the time I start school >< I start on the 25th. :o 
But I have hopes! Lol. This is only gonna be like a little over 10 chapters~ :o
But expect to see the rest of B1A4:D and I hope you guys like this ><