10. City of Light

Luminosity

"Okay, so your first job is to concentrate. You have to change the light, right now you’re running incandescent bulbs, a new power that we all discovered in this new society was we could change them to run as LED lights.” Sandeul explained to her as they both stared at her lamp.

“You can do that?” She asked him, turning her head to him in amazement.

Sandeul nodded, “Yeah, I learned when we first started looking for the missing kids.” He said. “I’ll show you first.” He stared at the lamp and the lighting changed from the yellowish color it was emitting, to a nice white light and back again. 

“How do you do that? Do you just think about it?” Haedeum asked him, her hand floated around the lightbulb in the lamp, she knew better than to stare at a light for too long. Without thought she dimmed it slightly just to make it easier on her eyes.

“Yeah, you think about how you want a different type of light in the bulb. It usually stays that way as long as you’re in the room. You don’t have to concentrate on it the whole time, unlike how you have to when you make a lot of lanterns.” He explained to her. “We learned this trick because LEDs are more environmentally friendly but someone people don’t buy the bulbs.”

“Oh I see, okay. Let’s see if I really am a child of this City you speak of then.” Haedeum said in a challenging way. She still didn’t believe him but there was no harm in trying just to prove him wrong. She looked at the lightbulb and slowly the yellow changed to a pure white and her walls changed from a tint of yellow to the pure white walls she had. 

“Told you so.” Sandeul said proudly to her. “You thought I was a liar.” 

“It’s not physically possible. I’ve been born here, how could I not know? Shin Dong Woo just sleeps in class and the light flickers.” She argued, “Shouldn’t something have presented itself?” 

“Dong Woo causes lights to flicker when asleep because of his nightmares.” Sandeul said, “If he sleeps well, then lights won’t flicker. As for some of your powers showing, he is actually aware he has powers, you weren’t until now. So nothing would have shown.” 

“But I had to live through several blackouts. So why wouldn’t I have been able to make a lantern?” Haedeum asked him, “That doesn’t make any sense.” 

“You remember making lanterns?” He asked her, going on the door that she opened. “When did you remember that?” 

“Just now.” She answered him. “Why?” 

“Then, it’s true, using your powers does help you remember.” Sandeul said in amazement. 

“I guess so. What else can you teach me?” Haedeum asked him. “Is there anything else?” 

“Do you remember how to make lanterns?” He asked back. “If you do then I can teach you something new as well.” 

“Oh, really? I think I do.” She said, closing her eyes and hold her hands out in front of her. She imagined a duplicate of the lantern at the circus and she pictured it the pink that she liked. In a second, she felt the round object in her hands. 

She opened her eyes and smiled at Sandeul, “Did it.” She said proudly.

“Great. Now shape it into an hourglass.” He told her and she raised her eyebrow at him. “Yes, it’s possible.” 

She shrugged before thinking about an hourglass and she changed the colors adding green to the pink. She turned it over and the green dripped slowly into the pink orb. “That’s cool.” She said.

“It took me a few tries to be able to do that.” He said in surprise. “But then again you were always better than me.” He told her. 

As she watched the green and the pink mix, she felt a bit more whole as she remembered more. “I know you, Jung Hwan.” She said and Sandeul froze in his spot and stared at her. 

“What?” He asked her.

“I remember you, Jung Hwan. Why did things change?” She asked him. “I thought things were never going to change.” 

Sandeul threw her into a hug and held her tightly in his arms. “You changed, I didn’t. Your parents took you away and that was the reason why we were apart.” He said. 

“Well, I’m sorry then.” She told him.

“It’s okay. Just let’s go meet some people.” He said, pulling away and Haedeum looked at him. Relief washed all over his face and she was happy that she could ease his stress. 

“Dong Woo and the others?” She asked him.

“Yeah, they’re all at the new City.” He told her, taking her hand and leading her out of the house. She made sure to lock the door behind them and they ran. They ran down the empty streets, turning on the streetlights that were broken. 

They laughed loudly as they ran about, holding hands and looking at each other. Haedeum was getting all of her memories back the more she practiced.

They turned to the carnival and saw that it had been torn down but buildings were built up now. In only the short amount of hours? “Was the City always here?” She asked him.

“Yeah, only those of us children could see it. Come on, we have to meet everyone again. And we have to have a serious talk about that crush you had on Hyukjin.” Sandeul said sternly to her.

“What? Are you jealous?” Haedeum said jokingly.

“You wish. I’m sure you were when Lime and Luna were all over me.” He countered.

Haedeum rolled her eyes and took his hand. “Yeah, yeah, whatever Jung Hwan. This time don’t leave me okay?”

He smiled at her, “Never.” 


Author's Note;;
ALL DONE :3 hehe :3 <3
I hope you enjoyed this~ It was a really short fic. :o I'm not exactly Sandeul biased but I did my best. >< 
Hope you like it! And subscribe to any of my other fics that interest you :D