Chapter 7

My Last Breath Is For You

 

Tao and i was sitting in the couch. I was sitting with my knees up to my chest and he had his arms wrapped around me. His head was resting on top of mine. We had been sitting like that ever since we got back into the house. I had just told him what Kris did to me and he listened to everything i had to say without saying a word.

 

When i was done explaining, i felt his breath on my face and then something else. Something wet. I looked up and Tao had his eyes shut with tears rolling down his face. I pulled my sleeve up and wiped them away. He opened his eyes and put our foreheads together. "Minji... i'm sorry. I'm sorry that i couldn't help you. I promised you that he would never lay another hand on you.. I'm sorry i couldn't protect you".

"Let's... just move on... please. I want to forget everything that happened today, except for the doctor's appointment. That's all i need to remember about today, okay? So can we just go on pretending that none of this ever happened?" I looked away from him as i tried my best not to cry myself.

"How? How are you so strong? After all the pain he put you through, how can you still be standing, stronger than ever? If it was me... i would have probably killed myself".

I leaned back on the couch and looked up at the ceiling. "I thought about it once" He looked up at me in panic. "I thought about ending everything a couple of days ago, but then i found out i was pregnant. It changed everything" I looked up at Tao and smiled. "Our baby boy or baby girl is the reason i'm strong and still here. It's the reason i'm able to move on, no matter what Kris does to me".

Tao leaned down and planted a kiss on my forehead. "You're amazing, Minji. Kris is not going to hurt you anymore. I know i already said that, but this time i mean it. I discussed it with Lay and we came up with an idea... if it's okay with you".

"What idea?"

"Kris is stronger then me, Minji. As much as i hate to admit it, he is. I can't stop him by myself. That's why me and Lay decided that from now on Lay, Chen and Xiumin will always be around here. Not everyone at the same time, they'll switch in order to protect you. I don't know about Luhan, he really looks up to Kris. Is that okay with you?"

"So... they'll be with me every second?"

"I know that it sounds awful, but i can't let anything else happen to you. Will you just bare with it for a little while? At least until the baby is born?" He put his hand on my stomach and slowly rubbed it. "I don't want anything to happen to you or the baby".

I nodded. "Okay".

"I doubt Kris will come back today, but just in case i'll call Lay and tell him to come over again".

 

He picked his phone up and left the room. I lied down on the couch and closed my eyes.

 

"Is she sleeping?" 

"Be quiet and don't wake her up".

"But... what if something's wrong with her?" I felt someone poke my cheek and immediately opened my eyes. Xiumin jumped back and looked at Lay. "She's alright".

"Didn't i tell you not to wake her up?!" Lay sighed and bent down next to me. He smiled. "Just go back to sleep, Minji".

I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "No, it's alright. I'm awake now anyway".

"Sorry" Xiumin looked down.

I smiled at him. "It's okay".

I heard someone clear his throat and looked up. Chen was looking at Luhan who slowly walked over to me.

Luhan looked back at Chen who glared at him. He sighed and looked at me. "I'm sorry about earlier today. I won't do it again. I'll help Tao to protect you from Kris and i will be on your side, but i will also be on Kris' side. If you can't accept that, i'll leave right now".

I nodded. "It's alright. He's still your friend, right?" I smiled at him. "You were right back there. You shouldn't abandon your friends" I looked down. "I'm sorry i can't be in Kris' life anymore, but with my current situation it's just impossible for me".

"Don't apologize" Tao stepped next to me with crossed arms. "You have nothing to be sorry about".

Luhan nodded. "I understand".

"Well, guys, you all know your rooms. We're going to bed now" Tao grabbed my hand.

"I'll sleep on the couch, just in case" Lay smiled at us. "Goodnight".

 

 

A few days passed and Kris hadn't been here once. Tao's friends on the other hand hadn't left at all, except for Luhan who had gone to check up on Kris a few times. Since Tao's friends were staying here to protect me, i had taken on the job of making food for them and surprisingly they seemed to like it.

 

I had just made breakfast for them and the four boys were digging in.

 

"This is really good, Minji!" Chen said with his mouth full. "Your baby is gonna be really lucky!"

I giggled. "Thank you, Chen".

"Are you excited about today?" Lay smiled at me as he ate.

Today was the first day of the baby class. "Yeah..." I smiled at him. "But i'm also nervous".

"Don't be" Tao appeared behind me and kissed my cheek as he sat down next to me. He glanced at the boys who were still digging in. He sighed. "Guys, you do know Minji is not your maid, right? Don't make her to these things for you. She needs to take it easy".

"It's okay, Tao. I want to" I smiled at them as they sighed in relief.

Tao shook his head. "No. From now on i'll be the one doing all the chores around here, including making breakfast and dinner".

All the boys stopped eating and frowned. "T-tao... how about we just order take out from now on?" Xiumin smiled nervously at him.

"I'll even pay!" Chen shoued. 

"Hey, my cooking isn't that bad" Tao leaned back on the chair and crossed his arms.

"Dogs wouldn't even eat what you make for us" Luhan mumbled.

Tao rolled his eyes. "We'll be leaving now. Don't make too much of a mess while we're gone".

Luhan stood up from the table and walked towards the front door. "Where are you going?" Chen looked after him.

"To see Kris" He said before walking out. The four boys sighed. Lay looked at me with a i'm-sorry look.

"Shall we go?" Tao snapped me out of my thoughts about Kris. I nodded and followed him.

 

 

Luhan P.O.V

 

"Come on, Kris. It's me, Luhan. Open up" I knocked for the tenth time already. He didn't open up, but i knew he was home. "Kris..." I knocked again and this time the door opened. Kris' hair was messy and he was still in his boxers. I chuckled. "Did you just wake up?"

Kris leaned against the door. "What do you want?"

"Don't be like this, Kris. I miss you. Did you call that number i gave you?"

"No" He closed the door, but i was faster and stopped the door with my foot. Kris walked away from the door. I stepped inside and closed the door. I glanced around his house. It was a mess. Empty beer cans everywhere, empty pizza boxes were spread on the floor, the table, the couch. I also noticed a sleeping bag in the corner. Kris walked into the kitchen and came back with a beer. He cleared a space on the couch and sat down as he took a sip of his beer. I walked over to him and moved the empty cans from the chair and sat down.

"Don't you clean, Kris? It smells like something has died in here".

"Something did die in here" He said as he stared into space.

"Huh?"

"Nothing. Just go, Luhan. I'm not in the mood for company right now".

"Hey, Kris... how come you don't sleep in your room?"

He finally looked at me with a confused look. "What?" I pointed to the sleeping bag that was in the corner. "None of your business".

"You miss Minji?"

"Shut up!" He sighed. "I don't miss her at all, she cheated on me. She's dead to me now".

"What happened to you, Kris? Why did you end up like this?"

"If you're here to ask questions like that, you're wasting your time. I won't give you an answer".

"Minji is doing fine, Kris" I watched as his hand started getting white as he was squeezing on the empty beer can. "She has her first baby class today. She just left".

Kris threw the beer can on the floor and shot up from the couch. He glared at me. "Leave, Luhan" He turned around and walked into the kitchen, but i followed him.

"She's really happy, Kris..." Kris was leaning on the kitchen counter with his eyes closed. Short breaths coming from him could be heard. "But i'm sure she misses you..." Kris opened his eyes, but didn't move. "I think... she wants you to be there too. I think she wants you to be a part of her baby's life".

"SHUT UP!" Kris grabbed me by the collar and shoved me into the wall. He glared down at me and tightened his grip. "I don't want to hear anything about Minji or that ing thing that is inside of her!"

"That thing? That thing is a baby, Kris. A human being".

Kris chuckled, but he didn't find this amusing at all. "That's not a human that's inside of her. It's a beast".

"Kris... go see Minji, okay? I'll talk to Tao an-"

"DON'T MENTION THAT BASTARD'S NAME!" Kris lifted his left fist and punched me. He let go off me and turned his back towards me. His body was shaking and his knuckles were turning white. I slid down the wall as i watched him. I knew it was a bad idea to say anything else at this point. It would only make him angrier, so i decided to just silently sit there until he was ready to talk.

 

 

Minji P.O.V

 

Me and Tao entered the room for the baby class. I glanced around at everyone that was inside the room. There were four other that looked much, much older than me and they all had a man with them. They looked at me and Tao as we sat down on an available mat. I looked up and noticed that the ladies were whispering to each other while looking at me.

 

I felt an arm around my waist and looked up. Tao smiled at me. "Focus on me, okay? Don't pay attention to them".

 

I nodded and as soon as the teacher came in, i put all my attention on what she was saying. When the class ended, she told us to wait just a little bit, because she wanted to talk to everyone, to learn a few things about them. As she came to me and Tao, she looked down at her clipboard.

 

"Huang Minji?" I nodded. She looked at Tao. "And you are?"

"Huang Tao".

"Oh, so you're married?" She asked urprised.

"Not yet, but engaged" Tao answered for me as he smiled to her. 

"I see. This is your first?" 

"Yes" I said.

"Are you worried?"

"A little bit..." 

"That's normal, but everything will be fine. Especially with a good looking fiancee like that" She giggled and moved on to the next lady.

Tao grinned as he helped me up. "Did you hear what she called me?"

"Yeah, yeah" I mumbled as we walked out of the class.

Tao grabbed my hand. "Don't you think i'm good looking too?"

 

 

Luhan P.O.V

 

Kris turned around and looked at me. "You're still here?" I nodded. He went over to his fridge and got an ice pack out. He walked up to me and gave it to me. "Here. Sorry".

I put the ice pack on my cheek as i looked down. "It's not me you have to apologize to".

"Luhan, i beg you. Don't mention anything about that. I don't want to hear anything about her, him or that thing. I don't want anything to do with her anymore. I'm done" He said as he sat down next to me.

"I thought you loved her".

"How can i love someone who cheated on me?"

"Huh? Cheated on you?"

"On the ultrasound picture, it said how far she was on the way. 2 months. She broke up with me last week, you do the math, Luhan".

 

But... she didn't even know Tao 2 months ago? At least that's what Lay told me. I stood up and looked at Kris.

 

"I gotta go, but i'll be back tomorrow" He nodded and i was about to run out of the house, but stopped. I turned and looked back at him. "Oh, and Kris? Don't give up hope on Minji. I know she still loves you. I live in that house now, i see her every day and i can tell she misses you. Do you hear what i'm saying? She still loves you. No matter how much you hurt her, she still cares for you. That's real love, Kris. Get control over yourself and confess your real feelings to her before it's too late" I ran out of the house and got into my car. "Those two have some explaining to do".