Chapter 5

My Last Breath Is For You

 

Up until now, i thought the only person i would marry was Kris. I didn't know if it was right or not to get married because of a deal like this, but Tao needed my help and i needed his. What could go wrong?

 

I looked down at him and smiled. "Yes, Tao. I'll marry you".

He smiled and slid the ring on my finger. He stood up and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug. "I'll make you happy, Minji".

 

 

The day was here. The day for my first doctor appointment. I was sitting in the couch, waiting for Tao to coem down. I was nervous, but sort of excited as well. While waiting, i looked through the bags from yesterday. I pulled out a one piece for the baby that was in the bag. It was a panda suit. "How did that get here?" Then i remembered that Luna had looked at the exact same one when we checked out a store that sold baby clothes. She told me she had to go to the bathroom, but maybe she bought this? 

I heard Tao walking down the stairs and looked. He was wearing black jeans, a plain white shirt with a black jacket over. His hair was wet from showering. "What's that?" He pointed to the panda suit and sat down next to me. He took it out of my hands and chuckled. "Did you buy this yesterday?"

I shook my head. "No. I guess Luna bought it without me knowing".

He smiled and folded it nicely before putting it back in the bag. He looked up at me. "My nickname is panda".

"Really?" I looked down at the suit again and smiled. 

"Ready to leave?"

 

I nodded and we both walked out to his car. After driving for a while, Tao stopped at a parking lot and leaned his head down to look at the building in front of us. He pointed to it. "Is that the place?"

"How should i know? I've never been here before".

"Right. Well, let's just try then" He put his hand on my seat as he looked backwards and succesfully parked the car. I unbuckled my belt and got out of the car. After a few seconds he got out of the car as well and locked it. We walked together inside up to the front desk. Tao leaned against the desk.

"Can i help you?" The lady behind the desk asked.

"Yes, we have an appointment for Huang Minji".

I looked at him in surprise when he said my name using his last name. She checked something on the computer and looked up at Tao. "Just wait a few minutes over there" She pointed to the waiting room.

Tao nodded. "Thank you" He walked to the waiting room and i followed him. He sat down and i sat down next to him. I glanced around at all the pregnant girls in the room with us. Most of them had guys with them who were either talking to the tummy or just talking about baby names. Tao leaned over to me. "You want me to do that with you?" He whispered in my ear.

I looked up at him and smiled. "No".

He chuckled and crossed his arms. "Are you nervous?"

"A little bit".

"There's nothing to be nervous about. In a moment, you will see your baby for the first time" He smiled. "But if you get nervous or scared, just grab my hand" He held his hand out to me and i looked at it. I looked up at him and nodded. I grabbed his hand and he locked our fingers together.

A few minutes passed before a doctor walked out with a pregnant lady. She looked like she would give birth right there and then. I watched her with my mouth half open as she struggled to walk. Tao must have noticed cause he looked down at our hands, then up at me. "Hey, you okay?"

I moved my attention to Tao instead. "Huh? What?"

He lifted our hands up. "You were just squeezing my hand pretty hard. You're not going to give birth already, are you?" He chuckled and i smiled.

"No... just got a little scared when i saw that pregnant girl".

"Everything's going to be okay, so don't worry, okay?" He smiled and you nodded.

"Alright... Huang Minji?" The doctor said as she searched around the room.

Tao stood up and pulled me up with him. "Here".

She looked at us and smiled. "Follow me, please".

 

She walked through the hospital while me and Tao followed her. I looked around as we walked and grew more nervous the deeper we got into the hospital. She stopped in front of a door and opened it for us. We walked inside and stood there as the doctor closed the door. 

 

"Just lay down" I let go of Tao's hand and lied down on the bed. Tao sat on the chair next to me and smiled. The doctor sat on the chair and looked at me. "This is your first?" 

I nodded. "Yes".

"And you're planning to keep it?"

"Yes".

"Alright" She looked at my file. "It says you're two months pregnant, which means you're 8 weeks on the way" She looked up at me. "Usually you're supposed to have the first ultrasound when you're around 12 weeks, but since this is your first, it's possibly a good thing to make sure nothing's wrong with you or the baby".

My eyes widened and i looked up at Tao. He grabbed my hand again. "Don't worry" He smiled at me.

I calmed down a little and looked at the doctor again. "Yes, it's best not to worry. Just don't stress out too much. Try not to do anything tiring or something that could put you under a lot of stress and everything will be fine" She smiled at me. "Now, are you ready?" I nodded. She rolled up my shirt. She stopped and stared at my stomach. I knew what she was staring at. My bruises. She looked up at me, then Tao. "Would you like to wait outside?"

Tao looked down at me. "Do you want me to leave?" 

I shook my head. "No, stay" Tao nodded and looked back up at the doctor.

"Alright then..." She continued with the ultrasound and when she was done, she pointed to the screen. "There's your baby".

Both me and Tao looked up with smiles on both of our face. Tao looked at the doctor. "When is it possible to find out the of the baby?"

"That's usually after about 18 weeks. Do you want a picture?"

"Yes" Tao replied and smiled at me.

 

Me and Tao were in the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I looked down at the ultrasound picture the doctor gave us and smiled. Tao looked at me, then back at the road and smiled.

 

"Not nervous anymore now?"

I looked up at him and shook my head. "No. I was a little nervous since this is my first and it is Kris' baby, but... that doesn't matter anymore. I don't care if Kris is the father, i love this baby either way" I said as i put my hands on my stomach and smiled.

Tao didn't smile though. He sighed. "Minji..." I looked up at him.

"Yeah?"

"We're engaged now and i'm going to treat you as a real fiancee. This might be fake, but... it doesn't have to be, does it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm saying... forget about Kris and be with me instead. For real. Let's stop faking and be real instead".

"W-what? You want... us to be like a real couple?"

He nodded. "I know we just met, but i like you already, Minji. I'm not saying you'll be able to forget Kris just like that, but do you think you can open your heart to me? Just a little bit?"

"You like me?" I leaned against the seat as i looked at him. "I'm broken, Tao. I have bruises and scars to prove it. My heart is scarred as well and after what Kris did to me, i'm afraid... Afraid that if i ever love a guy again, he'll do the exact same thing Kris did to me. I'm scared, Tao".

"Are you afraid of me?"

"Well, no, but..."

"I'll heal you, Minji. I'll make your heart become whole again if you just let me. Are you willing to at least try? If it doesn't work out for you, we can always just go back to our orignal deal".

"I would like to be whole again. I don't know if it's possible or not, but i would like to try. With you. I want to try with you, Tao".

His lips moved upwards and he nodded. "Then let's stop this fake relationship and become real" I nodded. "And Minji?"

"Mmm?"

"Don't call it Kris' baby anymore".

I looked at him. "Huh?"

"It kills me when i hear you call Kris the father of the baby. I feel like this baby is mine, but when you start talking about Kris being the father, that feeling disappears. So... can you from now on call me the father?"

"I'm sorry, it just slips out. But from now on, you're the father of my baby, Tao".

 

He smiled as he pulled up in the driveway to our house. We both looked up at the familiar guy standing in front of the house. Kris was leaning against the house with his arms crossed, glaring at us.

 

Tao unbuckled his belt and looked at me. "Stay in here and lock the doors" He said before stepping out of the car.