Chapter 14

My Last Breath Is For You

 

Minji P.O.V

 

Tao was sitting on the steps up to the house when i entered. He immediately looked up when he heard the gate close. He stood up and embraced me. "Where the hell were you?!" He asked while slowly pulling me away from him so he could look at my face.

"I... i went to see Kris" I looked down. "I know i promised i wouldn't, but there was something i had to do, something i had to check out. Now that i have... it's all over between me and Kris".

He sighed. "I don't like the fact that you went to see him" He walked back to the steps, holding my hand. He sat down and pulled me down on his lap. "I told you we should stop pretending, right? To be a real couple. You going to see Kris isn't exactly something i'm thrilled about. I just... Minji, for me, this is real" He looked down at my ring and sighed. "Us living together, getting married and having a baby, that's something i've been longing for for a really long time now. I would never admit it to my parents, but i have been looking for someone as well. I just hadn't found the right girl. Until i met you in that cafe. I looked at you as you desperatly wanted me to check the job ads" He smiled. "Do you remember?"

I nodded. "I do" I said as i leaned my head on his shoulder. "You were like my knight in shining armor".

He chuckled. "And you're my princess" He was about to plant a kiss on my cheek when we heard steps coming towards up.

"Aww, that's cute" Kris said in a sarcastic voice. "What a perfect fairy tale. But you know, every fairy tale has some kind of evil creature that wants to destroy them and that creature is me".

Tao stood up, carefully pushing me behind him as he glared at Kris. "Then you should know that every fairy tale has a happy ending".'

"Are you saying i don't deserve a happy ending?" Kris asked as he pointed to himself.

"That's exactly what i'm saying. I don't know the reason for it, but you hurt her so badly she's never gonna be able to forget it. That's gonna be stuck with her forever. Whenever she thinks of you, she will always remember that moment when you hit her".

"So you think about me?" Kris smiled at me. "That's good. I think about you a lot too, Minji. The way you would open your legs for me. But now you're opening them for this bastard instead. You're not worth my thoughts anymore. You're nothing but a lying, cheating ".

Tao closed his fists together and walked towards Kris. "You better take that back!"

"Or what?" Kris smirked. "You know i'm stronger than you. But hey, go ahead. Once i'm done with you, i can have a round with her in your own bed. Doesn't that sound like fun, Minji?" Kris smirked at me.

I walked up to him, to keep Tao from hitting him. I looked up at Kris. "Why are you being like this?" I said in a whisper. "Why did you change so much?"

Kris was now glaring at me. "You're one to talk. You cheated on me".

"You hit me!" I screamed at him. "You physically abused me, even though you perfectly knew that my parents used to do that too! You saved me from them, only to give me the same hell they gave me! I accepted it, because i loved you and i thought i could change you back, but nothing can! No one can change you back to the Kris you used to be! He's long gone, sadly. I miss him a lot..." I looked down. "It's like he's gone or died or something. I loved him and i still do, but he's not around anymore. To me... it's like he died".

Kris' arms fell down to his side and pain was basically written on his face. He reached out for me, but Tao stepped in front of me. "You heard her. Now, leave".

Kris continued to look at me. Tao whispered to me, telling me to go inside. I started walking up to the door. "Don't go" I stopped walking once i heard Kris' voice. 

"You don't get to make that call" Tao said.

"Will you shut up for one second?! This is my girl, Tao! I've known her way longer than you have! She was mine before you came and snapped her right out of my arms! I know your parents are pissed about you not finding someone to marry, but why do you have to take what's mine? I never did something so painful to you, Tao. Never. I was your closest best friend. Why did you do it? To make me feel like you could take away my whole world? To prove a point to me or your parents? Just for fun? What's the reason you stole my heart away?"

Tears were starting to form in my eyes, but i didn't let them fall. I didn't turn around either. I could imagine Kris' sad face, i didn't need to see it. "I never knew she was your girl first, Kris. But you're not innocent here either. She has bruises and scars, Kris! She suffered so much because of you!"

"And you don't think i suffered through the years?!" Kris shouted. Before me or Tao could react, Kris was suddenly in front of me. "Come with me. Come with me and let's talk. I'll tell you... everything. If you just come with me".

"No" Tao answered for me and grabbed my hand. "She doesn't need your lies anymore".

"I won't lie to you" Kris said, looking deeply into my eyes. "Please, Minji. One last chance. I'll tell you... what happened with me. I'll tell you everything right now. If you refuse... i'm out of your life for good. This is your final chance, Minji. Take it or leave it?"

Just then Luhan came running up to us. He put his hands on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. "What... did... i... miss?"

"Absolutely nothing" Tao replied. "Let's go, Minji" He grabbed my hand and started walking inside, but something stopped me. Kris. He was holding onto my other arm while glaring at Tao.

"You're not taking her away again!"

Tao sighed and let go off me. He stepped down in front of Kris. "I'm done" And suddenly, Kris was lying on the ground as Tao looked down at him with a smirk. And then i realized... that Tao had just hit Kris.

"T-tao?" He turned around and looked at me as Kris stood up, wiping his lips with his sleeve.

"Bad move" Kris said and then he threw himself onto Tao and soon enough, they were into a fist fight. I screamed and yelled for them to stop, but they didn't. Even Luhan was yelling at them, but he was too afraid to get close, i couldn't rely on him. I had to find a way to stop them myself. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"I'll go home... with Kris" After a few seconds i opened my eyes and Kris was holding Tao's shirt, with his fist in the air, looking at me. Tao was staring at me too. Kris released Tao and held his hand out towards me.

"Let's go".

"She's not going anywhere with you!" Tao once again stood by my side. Luhan stepped next to Kris.

"Let these two work it out, Tao. This thing is between the two of them, not anyone else".

"Like you haven't tried to get them back together!"

"I'll admit i have. Now that i've done it, it's all up to them. You can't force Minji to marry you out of pity. You can't lure her with your money, your status and safety. I'm not trying to sound mean, but love outpowers all that. If what you and Minji have is the real thing, then it will happen. If not, then forget about it".

"Lure her? Luhan, what the hell are you talking about?!" Tao looked at me. "I haven't tricked you into anything you didn't want! We haven't even kissed yet!"

That made Kris listen. He raised his eyebrow at us. "Haven't kissed?" He looked at both of us confused, then nodded. "Ahh, i see. You're that type, Tao" Kris chuckled and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "That might be why Minji can't resist my kisses".

"What?" Tao looked at me as i bit my bottom lip while looking down.

"Yeah, your girl visited me today. I kissed her and she let me. Hell, she even opened for me. She wanted me, right there and then. How does that feel Tao? Knowing that this time you're the one getting cheat on. Hurts like hell, doesn't it?" Kris looked down at my hand and took the ring off and i didn't do anything. It was like i was frozen and couldn't move at all. I felt like a puppet and these two guys in front of me were pulling all the strings. Kris threw it too him and nodded. "She'll be staying with me tonight. If she wishes to go back here, i'll let her. But as it goes for this night, she's all mine and i'll make sure it stays like that forever".

 

 

And that is how i ended up in Kris' apartment for the second time today. I was sitting in the couch staring at the floor as he flopped down beside me and held a coke out for me. I took it and took a sip from it. I glanced around the apartment. "Still haven't cleaned?"

He shrugged and took a sip of his own coke. "We're not here to talk about that".

I turned towards him and looked at him. "You do realize that no matter what happens tonight, it won't change the fact that tomorrow i will be back with Tao?"

"I know... but i'm not giving up without a fight".

I sighed. "That's all you do. Fight, fight, fight. Seriously, Kris! I don't want you fighting anymore! I hate it when you're fighting! I hated it when you came home, coverd in blood and bruises from stupid bar fights! I almost hated it more then when you took it out on me! Look, Kris, i'm pregnant. It's not safe for me to stay with you. What happens if you get angry and take a shot at ou- my kid" I quickly corrected my mistake and it seemed like he didn't notice, so i continued. "I can't take that risk, because this baby is the only thing keeping me sane and focused. It's the one thing keeping me away from you. I didn't have the guts to leave you, but because of this pregnancy, i got my courage and did something i should have done a long time ago. I walked away".

"When did i say i wanted you to leave?" He mumbled.

"Actions speaks louder than words. You threatening to kill me was your way of saying you wanted me to leave. It's because not only me and your friends, but you also thinks you're a monster, right? You're scared, Kris. Scared of what will happen once the truth comes out and that's why you pretended to be an abusive boyfriend. You hated hurting me, but you figured it would be better that i hated you without knowing what really happened to you. Am i right?"

A small smile played on his lips and he leaned his head back on the couch, glancing up at me. He lifted his left hand and my cheek. "I'll give you that. No one knows me like you do" I shrugged. He leaned up to my face, staring at me intensively. "God, i miss you" He whispered before closing the space between us. 

 

His lips against mine was like... heaven. I knew it was wrong the moment i walked away from Tao with Kris. I knew that this would happen if i did so. I had to stop it. I opened my eyes and pressed my hands against his chest, pushing him away.

 

"Don't. Tao..."

He sighed. "What about him? Seriously, Minji, he's not your type".

"At least he doesn't hit me. He doesn't hurt me, Kris. He gives me room, money, a family and love".

"But it's all fake, right? I'm your family, Minji, or have you forgotten that? I don't have much money, but i do have an apartment, i can be your family and i can show you love".

"Tell me why i should stay with you and not Tao".

"Because you love me" He put his hand under my shirt and on my stomach. "And so does this baby" He looked down and smiled once the kicking started again. "It's almost sad. When i found out you were pregnant, i imagined you and me putting our baby to sleep. I saw a whole future the moment i found out. The birthdays, christmas, the teenage years. If it was a girl, i'd imagine i would punch every guy who talked to her" He smiled a sad smile and removed his arm. "But that dream came crushing down when you said it wasn't mine" He moved away from me and leaned back down on the couch.

"If it were yours, what would you do?"