Chapter 3 - KrisYoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

The next day.

Just as I set out some salad and yogurt on the table, Kris emerged, awake.

"Good morning."

"Good morning. Where's the paper?"

"Right there. Do you want a toast?"

"One piece will do. I'll be going to a group lunch on the afternoon."

Kris skimmed over the paper as he sipped his coffee.

It was a morning that was a typical of the past few months.

Being like this makes it feel like nothing happened.

Not his curt attitude last night or his kissing that woman..

"Oh yes, when are you coming home tonight?"he asked.

"Probably around nine, why?"

"Thats unfortunate. My parents said they'd like to come and visit. Could you try to be back by eight?"

"By eight?"

In other words, come home at a regular time without working overtime today. Thats not going to be easy since my work is piling. But if my in-laws are coming, I should be there to receive them.

"Alright. I'll do my best to leave early."

"Please do. I am going to do the same too."

But what do I do about dinner? I wont have much time to prepare and they wont let me off with an 'oh,okay'.

As I mulled over it, Kris rose to his feet and left the room.

His salad wasnt even half finished.

Whats the deal? Was he done eating or did he go to the bathroom?

I listened quietly and heard the sound of running water from the washroom.

He's brushing his teeth so I guess he had done eating. He could have at least said something.

 

 

Minor irritations started to get more and more under my skin. I have a lot of gripes with Kris.

He never really helps with the chores.

He treats me really rudely sometimes.

And he sleeps in seperate bedroom.

Why is that? Does he not want kids?

But if that was the problem, couldnt we work it that out in other ways?

Is he not interested in women?

That couldnt be it. He was kissing that woman before.

The image flooded my mind again and my heart hurts.

Does he just not see me as a woman? Is that why he's fooling around behind my back?

"Hey,earth time to Jiyoon!"

I was snapped out from my thoughts.

"Dont space out in the middle of work. If Mr Choi catches you, you'll get chewed out again,"Jinki reminds.

"I am sorry. I will be more careful on the future."

"That'll do! Lets be off then!"

"Be off? To where?"

"The meeting room, Mr Choi wants to see us."

 

"A wine bar sir?" I asked. "

Yes, Jinki's the one in charge of it but.. I would like you to act as his assistant, Jiyoon."

"Sorry about this Jiyoon. I hate to say this but you're the one with the least amount of work to do on the team right now,"Jinki points out.

"I understand."

"You can get the details from Jinki later. I'll be counting on you."

Click! Mr Choi left abruptly, leaving me alone with Jinki in the meeting room.

"I am sure it'll be hard on you balancing this with your other project but I look forward to your support."

"Its okay."

"Here's some material to start with. Look it over."

The location is Gwangyang. The top floor of a building that rents its space out.

"Pretty cool huh? Its a building on Incheon street and its even on the top floor."

"We can use the night view as a selling point, cant we?" I asked.

"Yeah, but considering the location, there are lots of other places in the same area with nice atmostpheres. Plus.."

"Let me guess," I said, cutting his words. "Lots of reasonable restaurants on the lower levels?"

"Bingo. Thats why we have to give gueats something special. We have to make them think, 'Boy, I'm glad I came all the way up to the top floor'."

"Yeah!"

This is a job Jinki has taken on. But what if I was the one who took it on? How would I design it?

Would I target couples? There are lots of places that go for a girl's night out feel lately.

No, female guests dont pay high prices when its just them. Given that, it'd be better not to target them.

Maybe a place with an atmosphere that lends itself to quiet conversations,couples could enjoy that...

"A penny for your thoughts Jiyoon?"

"Hmmm?"

"If you any interesting ideas, just submit a design proposal. If your design gets adopted. I wouldnt mind switching places and supporting you."

"Really? But, isnt this your project Jinki?"

"Ah, the way you are talking, you soind confident. Maybe you can do better than me."

"Thats not ...."

"Hahah, dont worry about that. I got jobs from Mr Choi that way when I first started out too."

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, thats how he runs things. He doesnt always emphasize experience. He'll give more chances to people who have more motivation and competence in work, rather than experience."

So I need motivation and competence.

"Well, want to give it a shot?"he encouraged.

I smiled excitedly at him. "I'd like that. I want to try!"

"All right, can you have three design proposal in by the day after tomorrow?"

"I'll do it!"

 

I sat at my desk, thinking.

Even with the interior and concept for the book cafe is settled.

I never got to touch the furnishings.

But this time is different. I'm taking part in the design from the very start.

"Whats this?"Bora asked. "Dont tell me you were assigned to design a store Jiyoon?"

She looked unhappy.

"Its not really a project. I'm just allowed to make my own proposal."

"Oh I see. That makes sense. You havent been here long enough to make a project out of it."

Her face lighten up.

"Maybe not but.."

I've gotten my dream job. All I have to do now is to do my best.

 

"Phew."

The first one is vague but I managed to flesh it out.

Now to make a clean copy of this and work on the second and third.

"Hey, I'm going to the convenience store.Anything you'd like me to buy while I'm there?"Jinki announced.

"I could use some ramen cup,"Jonghyun said.

"Kimbab and some tea?" Yuri said.

I glanced at my watch.

Ah, its already 7pm. No wonder I feel my energy depleted.

But wait, 7pm?

 

"I'm home!"

"You came home awfully late Jiyoon!" my mother in law said at the doorway.

"Mom,"I greet her with a bow.

Aishh, she look so unhappy.

"I never thought that Kris would beat you home."

"I'm so sorry. I'll get dinner started right away.."

I quickly walk past her and went to to kitchen.

"You're starting only now? It would be past none before we could start eating!"

"Sorry to break it to you but its usually much later than that Mom,"Kris inform her.

"My, what do you mean?"

"I come home late,"he explained. "My wife always schedules around there. I only had her rush home early today because you were visiting."

"Oh my, she was rushing?"

"If you dont mind, I'd prefer if you cone by on Saturdays. And I'd appreciate if you can call more in advance so that we dont have such short notice in future. That would put Jiyoon in less trouble."

Kris..

"Alright,"she agrees but didnt sound too happy that her son was on my side.

"But you know,none of this would happen if Jiyoon just quit her job."

"Dont say that. She has things that she wants to do,"he argued back.

"Things she wants to do? For a woman, that should be having children and raising them."

"Thats your life Mom. Forget that though..Dad's calling." Kris ushered his mom to the living room.

Kris was sticking up for me.

I rushed to make dinner and it was past 9 when I finished.

My mother in law was rather displeased.

"Eating dinner this late is bad for digestion."

"Now, now, its not that bad. In fact this ginger stir fry is delicious."

"Thank you Dad."

"So, when can we expect the children?"

"Er.."

"Now honey, you dont have to talk about that during dinner."

"You be quiet dear!"

"Listen Jiyoon, you're thirty now. Thats late to have your first child."

"Its not. Childbirth in one's thirties isnt that rare these days. People even have children in their forties."

"But in this case my son, the sooner it happens the better. Of course Jiyoon will quit her job once that happened, wouldnt she?"

"I.."

"What are you talking about? People these days tend not to retire from the workforce when they have children. I fact, companies that doesnt support a woman's return after childbirth arent likely to survive much longer."

Kris' Dad nodded on agreement. "It does seem to be in trend nowadays but that would have been unthinkable during our days."

"But..."

Kris cuts her off. "Even my workplace has people in dual income families on the path to success. Men choose women with strong goals and status to be their life partners. Its the same for me. I am proud of Jiyoon for balancing work and family."

I look at him, feeling grateful.

I never realized he thought of me that way. Thats so flattering.

"Well, if thats how you feel, I wont say more on the subject, I suppose."

"Hahah, that should be enough of this line of conversation then. So Jiyoon, can I get more rice? And a little bit more of that stir fry if you could...."

"Alright."

"There you go Dad, eating nothing but meat again. Didnt they give you a hard time about that at your last physical test?"

Mr Wu just laughs it off. "That happens every year. If I worried about every little thing, there'd be no end to it."

"Honestly Dad..."

 

It was past 11 by the time they left.

It was around midnight when I finished cleaning up.

"That should do it."

Beep, beep!

Ah, the bath is heated.

"Kris, you can use the bath,"I called out from the kitchen.

Hmm, no response.

Oh, he' not in the living room. Is he in his bedroom?

That'right. I should thank him for earlier.

I stood in front of the door and started to knock.

Wait, he's talking to someone. Is he on the phone.

I press my ear at the door to listen better

"It couldnt be helped. My parents came by today. Hahah...oh are you? You're such a naughty lady.....Yeah, I know. Tomorrow night at eight, the usual place..." "...."

 

I sat down on my bed.

What was I thinking? I know he had another woman.

All that covering he just did for me could have just been because we were in front of his parents.

He wanted to pass hinself as a good husband. That was all it was.

"Is it totally hopeless?"

I cant recapture Kris's heart, can I?

No matter what I do, I'm just...

Rustle..

Huh, something on the floor here. A paperbag?

I think it fell out from the closet. I wonder whats inside.

"This is Kris's handkerchief!"

The same one he had used as an emergency replacement for my snapped shoestrap on our first date.

I had meant to wash it and give it back but totally forgotten about it.

Thats right. I remember what I thought of that day.

That maybe I could be happy with this man.

I want to believe how I felt back then.

I dont wanna give up yet.

If only I could get Kris to face me.

If the possiblity exist that I could be happy, I want to bank on that.

Besides, I want him to know how I feel..

I took put back the handkerchief inside the paperbag, treating it like good luck charm.

Then I opened the door to the living room.