Chapter 14 - KrisYoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

My father in law was in a bed at the ICU.

"A heart attack of all things...."Kris said in regret.

"For the time being, they've put in this thing, I think they called it a catheter. But mean time your father needs to stay under obervation."

"Were there any symptoms? Chest pains or other violent pains?"

"Not before noon,they weren't. Of course I dont know where he went off to but..."

My mother in law glanced over her shoulder.

Standing there was a lady I had never met.

 

"This could have turned out a lot worse of it wasnt for you. Thank you so much for all the trouble,"Mrs Wu said.

The lady shakes her head.

"I-It wasnt any trouble at all...."

Wait, who is she?

I gave Kris a questioning glance.

But Kris remained scowling.

He wouldnt so much as glance in the lady's direction.

"Um...I'll call my parents,"I inform him.

"Yes, please do."

 

"A heart attack? Really?"

"Yes Mum. He's supposed to stay hospitalized for observation at the moment."

"I see...What a terrible situation.... I trust that you'll attend to him as a bride of the Wu family? You'll need to take care of yourself too Yoonie. When you're tired, switch places with Mrs Wu."

"I know Mum."

I sighed as I hung up the phone.

I'm glad things turned out alright for now but...

How long will he need to be hospitalized?

I might have to take time off of work if it comes to it.

 

"We're leaving,"Kris said to me.

"Huh? Are you sure you dont want to attend him?"

"Mom's here so it'll be fine. We'll be discussing where to go from here tomorrow evening."

"Alright. I'll come home with no overtime tomorrow."

"Yes, please."

 

When I returned home, I felt shaken as I changed clothes.

I felt so incredibly gloomy...

I'll have some tea. I think we had some herbal tea left...

 

Huh? Kris is at the living room.

I went up to him.

"Kris. You're not sleeping yet?"

"No...I'm just too awake..."

"It must be hard on you."

"It is..."

He looks up at me. "I treated you poorly. You had such a nice award party and I ruined the whole thing for you."

"What are you talking about? We didnt get the call until after the party was over."

"Maybe so but...."

He looked like he wanted to say something but he just hung his head silently.

I sat down next to Kris.

"Mind if I join you?"

"..."

"I'll stay with you until you go to bed okay?"

Kris smiled at me.

"Jiyoon."

A pleasantly cool hand wrapped itself around my right hand.

His smile faded within seconds.

"My father's a fool. I told him to watch his eating habits. The doctor warned hin when he got his physical too. He just ignored it all and did as he pleased. And now he has a heart attack and collapses at his lover's place."

What? His lover's place?

"Then that lady at the hospital was ...?"

"The woman he took outside the house."

"Thats horrible..."

"Its nothing for you to be concerned about. Mom has no complaints as long as my father provides money for the family."

"What?"

"Mom's actually met that woman face to face several times. And of course she know her relationship with father."

"That's...." I considered myself in her shoes and shrudded.

When Hyuna barged into my workplace, I couldnt pretend not to know her at all.

But Mr Wu is different..

I thought back to my mother in law who had acted differently in the hospital room.

Kris idea of marriage transaction....might be the result of this sort of background.

Because his own parents continue to behave as a clear-cut husband and wife..

Thats why...

I quietly glanced to my side. Kris was still hanging his head.

"Its none of my business how father lives. Of course I have no say in what he eats or what women he sees.But.., if he died, that would be the end of everthing."

"Kris..."

"He could have avoided this whole situation...if he'd just made any effort to mitigate his risks..."

His words were harsh rebuke but his tone was tinged with sorrow. None of his business he says but still he's worried.

Of course..This is his father we're talking about...

"It'll be alright. He's settled down for now right? I'm sure he'll get better and be released soon."

"But.."

"Its alright...He wont get any worse. He'll recover. Lets just believe.that okay?"

"I suppose."

I noticed then that I couldnt feel the coldness in his hands any longer.

Where his hand touched mine. It felf faintly warm.

I want to support him. I cant do much.

Maybe all I can do is hold his hand and stay close....

But I want to always do this.

 

The next morning,I opened my eyes to a sensation of warmthness.

Ughh, did I fall asleep on the couch?

Hmn? Is Kris embracing me?

I could hear a faint snore above my head.

The moment I noticed that, my body went slack.

This is really stiff. My body hurts....

But I want to stay like this.... I dont want to move...

I nestled into his chest in front of my face and closed my eyes.

His chest rose in and out with his breathing...

His pulse felt warm...

Those sensation alone were anough to make hapiness swell up within me.

Beep-beep-beep-beep!

"Mm...ngh...Is it that time already?"I heard his husky utter.

Kris shifted his form.

Just as I was thinking it would be lonely with his warm body parted from mine....

Peck....

Huh?

His footsteps grew distant and I heard the sound of running water in the washroom.

But I couldnt look back.

Did he just kiss me?

His lips softly brushed my forehead. I could still practically feel them there.

This isnt the first time he kissed me.

But... Oh my god, my heart is pounding so much...

"It was just a forehead kiss.."

 

"Good morning!"Bora greets me with a big smile.

"Morning,"I greet back.

"Whats the matter Jiyoon? Your face looks all splotchy.

" Does it? Maybe I drank too much last night."

"But didnt you leave with your husband before the afterparty? Jinki, Mr Choi and I made it to a third party together!"

"Oh..."

"Jiyoon, do you have a moment?"Mr Choi called me over.

 

In the meeting room...

"Me? Handling a new pub?"

"Yes. I got a call early today...From Mr Lee with Sahas. I introduced you to him yesterday."

"Oh yes, Mr Lee."

"He told me over the phone that he wants you in charge of the design for a place they're opening in Myeomdong."

Me? I'm so flattered... I'm flattered, but...

"Um, Mr Choi... The truth is ....."

 

"I see. Your father in law, hm."

"Yes sir, I'll have to attend to him while he's in the hospital..."

"I understand. Thats so unfortunate.."

"I'm sorry sir."

"Dont be. You have no control over this. I'll assign this one to Jinki or Bora. Fill Jinki on this as well. We'll need to consider your work allotment for the time being."

"Yes sir..."

 

Lunch break....

I didnt make a lunch bento so I went out lunch with Seunghyun for the first time in a while.

"What? You mean you turned down the pub offer?"

"Yeah."

"I see...Its such a shame at a time like this. You just won an award and now this. Its harsh huh?"

My cell beeped.

"Got a text?"

"Yeah. Its from Kris. We"ll be going to the hospital together tonight.

"Brides have it rough too huh?"

"What can I say, its all part of marriage. Besides once my father in law gets out of the hospital, I can resume back to my usual work schedule."

Yes... I have to do my best now more than ever.

I just have to get by until he gets a safe release from the hospital...

 

But then, that night...

"You want me to quit my job?"

"Why so surprised?"Mrs Wu asked. "Of course I do. You'll be expected to support Kris as his wife once he becomes CEO."

"Hold on Mom. I dont intend to quit my current job," Kris told her.

"Then who will take over after your father?"

"Isnt that for him to decide? That place isnt family run."

Mrs Wu grew impatient with us.

"Dont be ridiculous! Its the company that your father built. I hate to say this son but you dont have anymore future prospects for promotions within your company anyway right?"

Kris clenched his fist.

"So whats the problem with taking over our company?"

Kris looked away in anger.

"Look, your father is reaching the age where he cant push himself anymore. And with incidents like this, I EXPECT YOU TO CONSIDER YOUR POSITIONS AND BE UP TO THE TASK! Do I make myself clear?"

He refused to answer her.

 

Kris was silent for a while after we left the hospital.

I'm sure Kris got a lot on his mind.

His father and his future....

If he does take over the company, I'll have to consider my position as his wife.

But I...

"What do you want to do?"he suddenly asked me.

"Huh?" "Mom told you to quit your job. What do you really want to do?"

I.... I really... "I dont want to quit," I confessed.

"My job has finally become fun and rewarding. I dont want to quit... I want to keep at it..."

"I suppose you would," he agrees.

"I'm sorry. I am being selfish, I know."

"No silly, thats a perfectly reasonable thing to want. You poured your heart and soul into your work."

"But Mom doesnt want that."

He was silent for a while.

"There's someplace I want to visit, could you join me?"

 

The place Kris wanted to take me turned out to be...

"Welcome Mr and Mrs Wu. Only two of you tonight?" Owner asked.

"Yes, are there any open seats?"

"A group of guests just left actually. Right this way."

I never thought he'd bring me to the wine bar. I sat back and look around.

The place seems different. Maybe because I am just a regular customer tonight.

"Whats wrong? You look curious."

"It just seems new to me now,"I answered."It gives a different feeling from when I came here for work or private gatherings."

We were served some wine with a side dish of olives.

"Whats this?"

"Turkish wine. Ever tried any?"

I shake my head as I observed the glass of wine.

I took a sip. It tasted fairly bittersweet in my mouth.

"Its not as bitter as what I was expecting. Actually it smells kind of sweet..."

"People compares it a lot to apple or pine. Maybe thats why women like it."

"Its certainly easy to drink. But I am surprised they even make wine in Turkey."

"Turkey actually has a long history of wine making. Enough that some people theorize Turkey is the birthplace of wine and grapes."

"Wow, is that right..?"I said as Ishook the clear liquid in my glass. It gives off a faint sweet scent.

"Drinking this wine makes me want to visit Turkey."

"I am scheduled to take a trip there next month."

"Is that right? A business trip?"

"Yes, I'll be making a deal with a winery there."

"A deal? Wait, is this wine also?"

"Its a product that I dealt in. I got the Owner to carry some in his store the other day."

"I see."

*giggle*

"I should be grateful then."

"Why?"

"After all, its all thanks to you that I can drink such a delicious wine here right?"

Kris smiles at me.

"What other wines do you offer?"

"I'll be getting him to carry Tunisian wine starting next month too."

"Wow, Tunisian? I'll have to come back and have some."

"With whom?"

I blushed. "I would like it if you could join me Kris."

Kris cheeks grew a bit red.

"Of course that wont happen if your father doesnt get out of the hospital."

We have to attend to him and besides...

We have the future to consider.

"Working at a trading company isnt just about buying and selling. It also allows you to join people with people, cultures with cultures.."

"Hmmm."

"You can go to unknown countries and share in their wines,food and fashions. It represent an incredible amount of possiblities..That was the ostensible reason I gave for joining CJ Products."

"Ostensible? Then what was your real reason?"

"Isnt it obvious? Large businesses have long history and offer stable futures."

"..."

"But I could hardly be so blunt during job hunting. So I came up with an answer that would please interviewers."

"I see."

"But now that I've been transfered to a subsidiary and dealing in import commodities. I can feel that way in reality. This job lets me connect with countries across the ocean. Considering it that way, its pretty fun."

"..."

"Jiyoon.. I dont want to quit the job that I have now. I want to keep at it. But if I do, my family would probably disown me. My Mom would never tolerate me going against her wishes."

"Thats terrible... Thats no reason to disown someone..."

"Thats the kind of woman my Mom is. When it comes to matters like that, she shows no mercy even to her own son."

"..."

 

"I have no prospects of any future promitions at work. I could get disown by my family. It could even cause friction with your own family. After all, my father and yours are best friends."

"..."

"Would you still stay with me even then? Would you still walk the same path that I do?"

"Of course I'd stick with you hubby. I'm your wife."

Kris look shock upon hearing me calling him that.

"Jiyoon...I love to hear you call me that.. And thank you."

Kris always discussed things on terms of whether or not they have beneficial values.

But as far as he's going with this...

He really want to keep the job he has now. That was all the more reason I didnt want him disowned.

I wanted his parents to accept his choice.

But how? How do I get them to accept it?