Chapter 1 - KrisYoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

 My shopping bag slipped from my hands.

The eggs landed with a crack...

But I was still frozen on the spot.

Kris,why?

Kris was kissing an unfamiliar woman even as I watched.

My husband whom I had only married three months ago.

 

Six months prior to that point

"Well,well, look at what a lovely lady she's grown into!"Mr Wu said with a bIg smile.

"Do you remember Jiyoon?"he asked his son. "You met her once before."

I was surprised to hear that. "Err, we did?"

"Now,now dear. How long ago was that?"Mrs Wu intervene.

"Hahah,of course,you're right. I beg your pardon."

My mum turns to look at me,"You know Jiyoon,Mr Wu joined us when we were celebrating your birth."

"Is that right?" I turn to look at Mr Wu, bow my head slightly with a thank you.

"Think nothing of it. But goodness me, you were such a tiny baby then. I never imagined you would marry my own son!"

"Now,now, nothing has been set in the stone yet my dear."

"Hahah,of course, dont mind me."

"But we would love to go through with that if Kris is all right with it," my Dad said.

"Yes, very much so," Mum agrees.

Both Mum and Dad looks so happy. Its understandable since my Dad and Mr Wu are good friends after all.

"Long time no see, Kris," my Dad greeted the young man.

"It has been quite some time. I should thank you for your aid in the business deal the other day."

"I heard rumors about you from your supervisor,"my dad continues. "He said that you're the best out of your whole crop of peers."

"Kris works for CJ Products, doesnt he?

How impressive,"my mum gushed.

I looked questiongly at the man upon whom my mum and dad were lavishing praises on.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaFJDDTGDpqVmg42LBCfM

So this is Kris Wu. I wonder what he's like.

He looks sincere and serious at a.glance.

Kris glanced up.

Whoops. Our eyes met. I quickly look away shyly.

"Is something wrong Jiyoon?"my Dad asked.

I shake my head.

"Hahaha, I'm sure our young bride-to-be would grow bored to tears of we did all the talking."

"She's hardly young. My daughter is already 30."

"I wouldnt say that Junsuh. These days, thirty is considered young. So much that they say you come of age when you hit thirty. Times are so different from when we grew up."

"Why dont you two take a walk around outside?"my Mum suggested. "The gardens here are quite beautifully arranged, I hear."

"That sounds fascinating,"Kris said. "Shall we go Jiyoon?"

"Ok."

 

I came here because he invited me but somehow, I felt a bit cramped.

Kris kept up so much conversation with my dad but yet the moment he stepped out into the garden, he stopped talking entirely.

I'll wait and see if he brings something up.

So thats what I had resolved but Kris showed no indication of striking up any conversation.

With so much time and nothing to do, I found myself looking down at my feet and thinking.

What made Kris agree to an arranged marriage anyway?

He certainly doesnt seem interested himself.

Did his parents threaten him by coming here? Or...

"Would you like to meet again another day?" What? I looked up and found him looking at me.

"We've met once but we still don't know much about each other. We could end up spending the rest of our lives together so if we do, its better that we get to know each other more. Dont you think so?"

It was an unexpected request. I saw no reason to refuse so I gave a nod of assent.

 

"What you went for a marriage interview, Yoonie?"Seunghyun said with a horror expression.

I nodded.

"You better quit while you can. They say marriage is the tomb of life,"Tiffany advised.

"Hey, dont go calling it a tomb,"Gyuri chided. "Marriage is nice Yoonie. It gives you mental and economic stability and the kids are adorable. Not to mention that you have someone to rely on. Someone for you to talk to when you feel down, to hug when you feel cold at night."

"So she says, after griping all this time that the kids away all her personal time,"Tiffany talks back.

"That was then, this is now. You should go on and get married Yoonie. Then you can call each other cute names in private."

"Oh geez Gyuri, you always rush things."

"Whats the big deal? Tiffy doesnt seems interested in marriage anyway. And Seunghyun still guarding her ity with lock and key."

"Thats pretty valuable in its own way. You dont find many s over thirty,"Tiffany said.

"Dont be silly. I am saving myself until marriage. I am going to walk down that aisle without shame."

"Ughh, have it your own way. I'd pick a dazzling night with a hot guy, any day of the week!"

"See? With those kind of attitudes, they're likely not to get married anytime soon,"Gyuri whispered to me. "That leaves you as the only one I can count on Yoonie."

"Mmm.."

"So Yoonie, have you had with your Mr candidate yet?"

"Huh?"

"Hey Tiffy, what are you saying?"

"Hey, isnt physical compatibility important? It happens all the time you know. Couples divorcing amd citing temperamental incompatibility but in truth, for most of them its not that reason, its night life incompatibility."

"Wh! That cant be true!"

"It totally is Hun. Thats a pretty big aspect of it. So Yoonie, how did it go?"

"What do you mean how? Nothing happened there. We've only met once."

"Mmm. In that case, are you going to cross the line next time?"

"Certainly not! Thats moving way too fast."

Seunghyun nodded at my answer. "She's right! Forget about that. What kind of a guy is he? Where does he work? How are his looks?"

"What's his personality? Is he nice? Funny?"Gyuri asked.

"He is very handsome, I must say. He works for the overseas division of CJ Products."

"Whoa, what the heck? Thats a huge company!"Tiffany commented.

"How's his personality?"Seunghyun asked.

"I cant tell."

"What?"all the 3 ladies said in unison.

"I barely spoke to him. We dont seen to have anything in common yet."

"Oh, I guess thats how it goes when you only met someone once,"Seunghyun agrees.

"Look Jiyoon,"Gyuri said as she squeezed my hands tightly. "Marriage is all about the momentum and timing. Dont sweat the complicated stuff. Once you think to yourself, I can go through with this with him or I can be happy if I'm with him, thats when yoi take the plunge. But of you drag your feet, you could miss your chance."

"Mmm."

"Wow, a married woman's words carry a lot of weight, huh?" Seunghyun said.

"Is that how it was for you Gyuri?"Tiffany asked.

"Of course it was. It clicked for me the moment I met him. That's why I decided to move swiftly. And that's why I am so happy now!"

Marriage is all about momentum and timing huh?

Gyuri might be right.

 

I've dated plenty of men up to this point.

I was in my late twenties then.

I was always aware of the prospect of marriage, somewhere in the back of my mind.

But it just never worked out.

And before I knew it, I was thirty.

I want to get married too. I want childrens too.

Beep!

A text? Its from Kris.

'I'm here. I'll be at the clock tower in front of the station.'

"What? Already?"

There's still 20 mins left till we're supposed to meet up. I'd better hurry.

Thud!

"Ack!"

"Hey, whats the big idea?"a man yelled at me.

"Huh?" "You ran into me and spill my coffee!"

Ran into him? Excuse me, he ran into me!

"I cant believe this, my coat is ruined."

"I am sorry."

"Ughh. Be more careful next time okay?"

Doh, I should be the one telling him that.

I sighed and started to walk off, when..

Huh? The strap on my shoe snapped?

Just my luck. I have to fix this.

No, if I did that, I'd be late!

Kris is already there waiting for me.

I could feel the eyes of other passengers on me as I walked.

Nothing I can do about it. I am pretty sure, I am walking weirdly.

The shoe with the snapped strap was prone to slipping off so I had a hard time walking.

Ughh, five mins left.

This is our first date. But I wont make it like this!

I yanked off the offending shoe and started running.

 

*huff,huff* Where's Kris?

There, I spotted him!

"Kris!" I called out to him but stopped when a child nearby ran into him.

"Waaaahhhhh,"the child started wailing.His hand was holding a cone of ice cream.

Kris's coat was dripping with ice cream now.

A figure I assumed is the boy's mum hastily bowed her head to him.

But Kris just shook his head as if to say that he didnt mind and...

He's patting the child's head?

He patted the child's head awkwardly.

But rather than settling down, the child just wailed more.

Kris looks at loss.

Maybe he's not good with kids? In the end, the child got led off by his mother, still crying.

Kris took out his black coat and started wiping off the soft serve.

"Oh.." Come to think of it, Kris didnt wipe it off at all at the child's presence.

The crying child must have been all that he'd been worrying about.

I approach Kris and pulled out a packet of wet tissue from my purse.

"Here,you can use this if you like."

Kris was surprised by my sudden presence.

"It should get the stain out better,"I told him.

He took it from my hand and muttered thanks.

"I'm glad I could be of service."

After getting rid of the stain, he threw away the tissue and said, "Then why dont we get going? We'd better hurry if we want to make it in time for lunch."

"All right." I tried to walk beside hin but then my shoe slipped off again.

Ack, I forgot about that.

"Your shoe.."

"The strap broke on the way here,"I explained.

"I'm sorry. I'm sure that makes walking together embarrassing."

Kris fell silent.

I should have fixed it after all, even if it did mean being late.

"Sit down over there,"he finally spoke.

"Sorry?"

"You cant walk like this. I'll fix it okay?"

"Oh you dont have to do that. I can walk if I take it slowly."

But he was insistent. "Dont worry about it. I can fix this right up."

"All right then."

He brought me to a nearby bench,and squat down in front of me.

"Do you have any rubber bands? The kind you tie your hand with?"

"Just a minute. I am sure I have some in my purse...Will this do?"

He nodded and took it away.

"Did you walk here barefoot?"he asked while concentrating on fixing.

"Er.."

"Your stockings are dirty."

"I am sorry. I had to or I wouldnt have made it on time."

"I see"

Geez, I want to find a hole and hide.

This is my first date and I've already caused embarassement to myself. I dont want to stay around. Kris must be disgusted with me.

A few moments later, "Stand up,try to walk." I did as instructed.

He observed. "Its still loose. Maybe a hankerchief.."

Kris pulled out his own handkerchief like it was the most natural thing to do in the world.

"Wait, I have a handkerchief too."

"Yours would be too small."

"But.."

"Dont worry about it. One handkerchief is no big deal. Go on and sit back down again."he said indifferently,then wrapped my foot in his handkerchief in lieu of the shoestrap. "That should do it, try walking again now."

Oh good, this should make walking much easier.

"Alright, now just wait here. I'll catch a cab for us."

"Ok." I look at his back as he walks away.

I felt like I wronged him.

He mentioned lunch too. Maybe he made reservation.

I surely hope that we can make it in time.

He came back to me. "The cab's here. Let's go."

"Right."

 

"Wait..is this? He guide me to a department store instead of a restaurant after getting out from the cab.

"Um, what about lunch?"

"It would be inconvenient for us if we didnt do something about your shoe before lunch."

"But dont you have a reservation?"

"Dont worry about that. Put on some shoes first."

He's right. Even if we did go out like this, I wouldnt be able to walk for an extended amount of time.

But these shoes all look so expensive.

I choose the less pricier one to compliment my budget. Now all that's left is the checkout line.

"You're satisfied with those?"Kris asked. He was gone for a moment just now.

"Yeah."

"Then you should put on these first.."he said, handing me a plastic bag.

What? Stockings?!

"Your toes and heels have runs in them."

"Yes but did you buy these?"

"There was a convenient store right nearby,"Kris answered with a slight blush.

Oh dear, but it must take a lot of courage for a man to buy stockings.

"Thank you but I am sorry about this."

"No dont worry about it. Its no big deal to me."

It doesnt seems that way though.

"Most importantly, are you satisfied with those shoes?"

"I am."

"Then let me take care of the purchase. You can go change into those stockings."

Huh? Take care of the purchase?

"Wait. In that case, I should give you cash to.."

"Keep it, I'll pay,"he said firmly.

"How can I possibly let you do that?"

"Dont worry about it. I meant to marry you anyway."

I look at him, dumbfounded.

Marry? Really? He said it so naturally that I cant help staring at him in response.

 

 

 In the end, we couldnt get a table at the restaurant where Kris had made reservations.

So we ended up going to an Italian restaurant instead.

"Um, about what you mentioned before..."

'Yes? About marriage?"

I nodded.

"My will is already set in stone. I want to marry you. If you agree to it, of course."

"But we've only met twice now."

"Three times apparently."

"Huh?"

"Look,"he said, pulling out a photo from his pocket.

Two babies? Are those.......?

"I got this from my father the other day. You're the one sleeping. I'm apparently the one looking at the camera."

"...."

"My father went to celebrate with your family when you were born. He brought me along when he did."

I look at the picture. He look so innocent compared to the one sitting in front of me now.

"I dont remember you at all, of course I assume its the same for you?"

"That's right."

"But at the celebration, my father said to your father......That when you get older, he'd like you to be his son's bride."

'Me?"

"Yeah. Of course, I'm sure it was just a casual remark at that time... But even so, it must be fate that we meet again like this. Dont you think so?"

"That maybe the case but..."

"Of course, I chose you even without old stories like that backing it up. I'd lack of nothing with you as my life partner."

I was surprised by that last statement. It kinds of gives me pressure actually.

"What about you? Do I lack of anything?"

"I..." I dont know what to answer. My mind suddenly drifted to the incident earlier.

He worried about a child even when his own coat was messed up. He fixed my snapped shoe. And he bought me stockings when it was embarrassing for him to do so.

What should I answer?

 

I was summoned to my boss's office the next morning.

'Oh my! You're finally getting married?'Ms Gain asked happily.

"Yeah, that's right.'

"Congratulations! Good for you! So what about your job?"

"I dont plan to quit of course. So I was hoping to introduce you to him at our wedding reception..."

"My goodness, I'm no good in that sort of thing. But I suppose there's no helping it when I have such a lovely employee.Still, its such a surprise. When did you find the right guy?"

"Its an arranged marriage,"I confessed.

"Oh, I follow you. That explains it. So, what's about him? What's he like?"

"He's a nice guy."

"Nice? He's not one of those platonic guys that has been popping up lately, is he?"

"No, its not like that. Its hard to put into words but I really think he's nice."

"I see. Well, what matters most is what's on the inside. And do you think you can be happy with him?"

"Yes, ma'am..."

I can still count my fingers the number of times we've met but I think I'll do all right with Kris. I think we can build a happy family together.

"My, my, your look is so warm that you can practically melt butter. Well, I hope you'll use this as an occasion to do even better at your job."

"Yes ma'am, thank you very much."

 

I left her office and bumped into Jinki.

"Hey, Jiyoon. Long time no see. How is it going?"

"Its all right. How are things in the sales division? Busy as ever?"

"Yeah,"he said with a solemn expression. "I'm working every day these days. I could really use a break..I'm sure we'll both keep at it though."

He winked at me. "You're one of my few single peers at work. We've got to get through tight spots!"

"Oh, about that... Jinki, are you free on the 22nd of the month after next?'

"The 22nd? I'm not sure. I need to check my schedule. Wait. Dont tell me you're...."

"I'm actually engaged to be married."

"What?!"

"You're welcome to attend, Jinki."

"Whaaaatttt?"

 

Two months later ...........

"Congratulations, Jiyoon," Both Tiffany and Seunghyun said.

"Thank you."

"I just love wedding dresses. I wish I could wear mine again,"Gyuri gushed.

"You'll jinxed yourself if you say stuffs like that,"Seunghyun reminded her.

"Oh yeah,"Gyuri said with a laugh. "Still Mr Wu...Yoonie is absolutely lovely today isnt she?"

Kris smiled. "Yes, I'm delighted to have a woman like this for a wife."

"Oh Kris," I said shyly.

"By the way, you're not kissing to seal your vows?"

"Huh?"

"Come to think of it, all you did was exchange wedding rings at the ceremony,"Seunghyun commented.

"Why dont you kiss here?"Gyuri suggested.

"What, right now?"

"C'mon, kiss up!" Tiffany urged.

"Kiss! Kiss!" Gyuri said in a cheer.

Prompted by their calls, Kris's friends joined in as well.

Oh god, what do I do...?

I glanced over at my husband. He was giving everyone a strained smile.

"Could you close your eyes?"he whispered to me.

I close my eyes as requested.

I felt lips softly touch down upon my forehead....

That's kinda cold sensation....

"Oh c'mon, only the forehead?!" Coworker 1 booed.

"You're supposed to go for the lips!" Coworker 2 added.

"Hahah,"Kris gave out a nervous laugh. "I could hardly do that in front of others. I have to save something for tonight."

Tonight........

That's right. Tonight is our firt night together..............

"Yoonie..."my mum calls out.

"Oh, Mum. And Dad too..."

"Congratulations, I'm so happy to see you looking so beautiful. This day is the greatest honor that mothers can have..."

"Mum..." I said with teary eyes.

"Jiyoon," my dad spoke. "Kris is a wonderful man for you to devote the rest of your life to. I expect you to live as Kris's wife from now on, as part of the Wu family."

"Yes Dad."

"Kris, take good care of my daughter."

"I will. I look forward to seeing more of you, Father-in-law, Mother-in-law."

Mum and Dad are both so happy....

I'm so glad I chose to marry Kris....

"Yoonie, it's time to toss the bouquet."Gyuri announced.

"All right! Its gonna be mine," Seunghyun said with determination shown in her eyes.

"I'll pass. You have fun out there,"Tiffany said as she stood aside.

"Okay, here goes. One, two..."

At three, I tossed the bouquet high into the air.

May this happiness be found by many more people.

 

 

In our suite.......

"Phew..."I said with a long sigh.

"You must be tired,"Kris commented.

"Yeah, but we're just getting started. There's the afterparty coming after the reception...and maybe an after-afterparty too."

"Oh yes.."

"I'm glad we get to stay in this hotel tonight,"I said smiling at my handsome husband.

"Yeah. By the way, about the honeymoon..."

"I know. You're busy right now right? We can take the trip anytime. Let's take plenty of time when you can take a long timeoff, okay?"

"Right. I should be able to get time off the month after next."

"All right. I'll look forward to it."

"Yeah, so will I."

"But first, we'll have to take care of the move tomorrow. Do you think we can get it all unpacked in one day?"

"We could just unpack the basic necessities to start with, and unpack the rest later a bit at a time."

"That's a good idea."

th?id=H.4647980388387213&pid=15.1

Huh? A phone call?

"I'll be back," he said in a hurry.

It must be an important call.

After 30 mins, he is still not back yet. We're going to be late......

I went outside to look for Kris, wondering if he is still on the phone.

I saw him near the lift.

I wanted to call out to him but stopped when I heard a lady's voice talking to him.

I hid and peek. Kris was blocking my view with his back.

"Yeah...uh-huh.."

*Giggle* "Right...So..."the mysterious lady said.

"It cant be helped..Uh-huh..Then later on..So...."

Is he talking to his mum? No this person has a higher-pitched voice..

I leaned against the wall, trying hard to hear the converstaion but I didnt hear him approaching.

"What are you doing here? Something's wrong?"Kris asked.

What should I do? Should I come right out and ask?

I looked at him with a nervous smile.

"I was looking for you. Its about time we changed out of these clothes."

"Oh...It's that time already hm...?"

A staff went up to us,"Mr and Mrs Wu, I'll need you to change soon."

"Right." I said with a forced smile.

After that came a magnificent wedding reception, then the afterparty, then the after-after party...

 

"Its finally over!!!" I said as we enters our suite.

"Yeah, it sure is."

I put down my luggage and sat on the sofa.

I just want to go to sleep.. But tonight is our first night....

"Um.....Would you like to use the bath before me?"I asked shyly.

"I can take it after you. I've got some business to take care of," Kris said.

"Right now?"

"Yeah. I checked my cell phone and received an email about work."

My shoulders slumped, hearing him talk about work.

"I see. Then I'll have a bath first."

 

In the bathroom........

My heart is pounding...This isnt even my first time....

But come to think of it, I havent kissed Kris yet.

All we had was a light kiss to the forehead in front of everybody today....

 

I put on some brand new undergarment and clad myself in a bathrobe.

"Kris, thanks for waiting...."

But wait, he is gone? Is he still on the phone?Then I spotted a memo on the table.

"Work came up so I'm stepping out..."

I cant believe this. He is stepping out on a night like this.....

No....There's no helping it. Its his job.

And so it was that  was how I spent my first night as Wu Jiyoon.....

Alone in the hotel room.

 

The next day, I didnt have any time to rest. It was time to move.

"Honestly...Moving already? The wedding ceremony was only yesterday," Mrs Wu said with a disapproving look.

'It cant be helped. We both have work tomorrow." Kris answered.

"About that...Jiyoon, how long do you plan to keep on working?"

"Huh?"

"A woman's job is to look after her family, not to work outside the house. These days women scream for independence but...that's for families whose heads of household dont make enough to make ends meet. You dont need to work, do you? Kris does enough work for both of you."

"But I..."

"Now, now. There's nothing wrong with that. We live in different times now,"Mr Wu said. "Would you mind going out and get me some cigarettes Jiyoon?" 

"Alright."

 

I was never expecting my mother-in-law to oppose me having a job...

And after Kris told me that I could work if I wanted to.

"Huh? What are you doing here Jiyoon?"

"Jinki! Why on earth are you here?"I asked in surpised.

"What do you mean, why? I live in the condo building right nearby."he answered.

"Oh you do? I moved here just today."

"For real...?"

"I should thank you for coimng to the reception the other day."

"Oh, uh...Yeah."

As I got engrossed in my conversation with Jinki, the automatic door behind me opened.

'Didnt you go out for cigarettes?" A stoic looking Kris asked me.

"Oh sorry. I ran into a coworker of mine.."

"A coworker?"

"I'm Jinki. I work for the same company as Jiyoon."

"Oh, you were at the reception too. Thank you for coming yesterday." Kris expression changed, giving Jinki a smile.

"I should thank you for having me instead."

Turning back to me, "Well, Jiyoon...Wait, no..Should I say Mrs Wu from now on?"

"Jiyoon will do. I decided to stick to Jeon Jiyoon at the work."

"Oh. See you tomorrow then."

"Right.'

Jinki departed, leaving me alone with Kris.

Jinki left, leaving me alone with my husband.

"You're loved by lots of people, arent you?"

I look him in silence.

"School friends, coworkers.They all came to give you their blessing," he said in an irritate. "Even that man kept repeating how much your dress looked good on you and how gorgeous you are in your wedding dress."

"He was probably drunk. There was a lot of drinking going on last night."

"You dont have to deny it like that."

"Deny what?"

"That you're flattered. You should accept it. Doesnt it makes you happy, being seen by men as an ideal wife?"

"Its a little flattering but, I'm satisfied just by having you looking at me that way, Kris."

A moment of awkward silent.

"You'd better hurry up and get the cigarettes. Dad's waiting,"he said, changing the subject.

"Oh right, I'll be back soon!"

 

That night.

"We managed to pull it all away huh?" I said tiredly.

"We sure did."

"By the way, we havent bought any curtains for the bedroom yet, have we? Would you like to accompany me to buy some this Saturday?" I look at him with hopeful eyes.

But he look away. "Sorry but I have plans on Saturday."

"Sunday then?"

"Could you please let me rest on Sunday? If I go out, I can never get any rest!"

I was surprised by his tone.

"You can pick whatever you like for the curtains. After all, you're the only one using that bedroom."

My eyeballs nearly popped out. "What?"

"I'll use the study room for my bedroom. After all, I have to work until the verge of sleep."

I was speechless. What kind of reason is that?

"Make sure to always knock before coming in. I dont like any sudden distruptions of my private time. Even as a married couple, I'd like for us to respect each other's time."

I suddenly feels like my world is collasping bit by bit.

"So you can spend your own time however you like and I wont critisize it. In return, I'd appreciate you in not interfering in my personal time okay?" He shut the door right in front of me.

Seperate bedrooms? No disrupting his personal time? And no interfering with his personal time?

Why? Arent we married? We are supposed to share everything together.

In the end, I was left alone in our new living room.

 

End of Chapter 1