Chapter 15 - KrisYoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

One week after being hospitalized, Kris's father was moved from ICU to the reguar ward.

Then....

"Come again? You wont take over the company?'

"I want to continue the work I'm doing now. That's why I wont be taking over,"Kris insisted.

"H-How could you say that? What will become of the company?"Mrs Wu asked angrily.

"Let someone else take it over. Father should start priming a successor for the job."

"You're being ridiculous! How could you...!"

"It is not ridiculous. My father built that company in a single generation. It's not carried over across generations."

"But...!"

Mrs Wu looked at her husband to back her up.

"Dear! You should say something!"

"I'm not sure what you want me to say..."Mr Wu said weakly. "If Kris doesnt want to take over, I'll have to find someone else for the job..."

Mrs Wu was livid.

"You too? How could you say that?"

Turning her attention to me.

"Jiyoon , what are you doing?! Why wont you stop Kris from doing this?!"

Why?Its because...

"Because it's my husband's choice."

"Excuse me?!"

"Kris should be the one to decide how he lives. Its not my place to interfere with that."

"How ...How irresponsible..!"

"Its not responsible!" Kris raised his voice to his mom. "My wife simply respect my wishes."

"What are you talking about? Either way, I will not permit this! You will take over the business! Do I make myself clear?!"

Slam!!

"Whoa, scary..That's bad for the heart..."Mr Wu comments.

"What? Your heart?" I asked concernly.

"Haha...Just kidding, just kidding. Thats not enough to hurt anything.."

Mr Wu laugh out loud.

"I'm sorry father.."

"Why are apologizing for? Its your decision, not mine. I was ready for this from the moment you went to work for CJ Products. Fortunately I have a lot of good employees that I can have them take over me. And if I cant find anyone willing to take over, I'll just close up shop. You dont need to worry about a thing."

"...."

 

On the way back home....

"I'm glad that at least your father accepted it."

"Yes, at least... I wont be disowned now. I'm sure Mom will give up, given time."

"..."

I'm sure he would really rather his Mom to be the one to accept his choice.

I quietly reached out a hand and rested it on his forlorn back.

"What is it?"

"Nothing..."

"Oh..."

Kris gave a small smile and took my hand.

It was as pleasantly cool as always...

'What's the matter?"I asked.

"My hands are cold. You can be my stand-in heater."

*giggle*

"So you only need me during cold season Hubby?"

"There's such a thing as chilly spring weather you know..."

"But isnt that season a little far off? In April?"

"Is it?' he teased.

Even so, Kris gripped my hand tightly.

I never thought I'd see the day when I could walk together with Kris like this...

This must be the sort of married life I really wanted.

That was why I felt more strongly than ever.

I want to support Kris. I want to do something for him.

The thing I can do is...........

 

"I'll be leaving early."

"Good work today Jiyoon. Attending the father again today?"

"Yes Jinki."

"Must be rough. How much longer is it going to be?"

"He's making smooth progress. He should be able to get out by the end of the month."

"Ah, okay..Dont push yourself too hard."

"Thanks and I'm sorry. I hate to cut out on work halfway through."

"There's nothing else for it. I hope your father in law gets out soon."

"Yes, me too."

But there's one other thing I have to do besides attend him...

 

"Good evening."

"Ah Jiyoon,"Mr Wu said with a smile.

"You have good timing. We just finished eating dinner,"Mrs Wu said, her face with a cold expression. "I'm stepping out. Could you stay here until 8?"

"Could I have a moment of your time first, please?"

"What can I do for you?"

"Its about Kris."

I summoned up my courage and looked at my mother in law.

"Is there any way I could get you to accept that he wont be taking over the business?"

Mrs Wu was shocked.

"My, I wasnt expecting you to bring that up! Of course I cant accept that!"

She laughed evilly.

"If anyone should be accepting anything, it should be him. He should be the one volunteering. He doesnt seem too interested in his job anyway. I know my son..he is only after promotions."

"Thats not true. Kris's serious about doing the job he has now."

"What are you talking about!"she screamed at me. "We've been raising him up since he was a child to take over the business! The only reason I accepted him working at his current company is that it would be a good experience for him."

"But he doesnt see it as a temporary experience. He is happy to work on the job that he has now.."

"Thats only the case for moment, of course. My son is a very competitive boy. He's just irrate over being demoted right now. He will change his mind soon enough."

"You're wrong. Right now, Kris is working diligently and devoting himself at a job where he wont even get promoted."

"...."

"Just recently he described to me how engaging his trading company job was. This isnt an act of impulse or a temporary whim. Kris is serious about not wanting to take over his father's business."

"That cant be true! Kris... He couldnt..."

"Kris was ready to be disowned from this family when he made that decision. I am sure he stands firm by his decision. Whether you accept his choice or not."

"You're lying. He's always been such a good boy. He always listen to my orders..."

As my mother in law struggled to deny it, her husband gave a sigh behind her.

"There's no use forcing our son dear. Kris is a family man now. He knows what he is doing."

"But...!"

"I told you before Jiyoon...I am alright with this. He has the right to choose what he wants in life."

"Yes, father..."

"I dont accept this! I couldnt possibly permit this to happen!"

"Please Mom, all this while, Kris has been listening to you. Just this once, please let him choose what he thinks is right for him. Even if Kris said he has prepared to be disowned but thats not really how he feels.... What he really want is for his own mom to give him blessing and accept his choice."

If he didnt...

He would never have looked so forlorn on the way back home.

I bowed my head,"Please, I beg of you! Find it in your heart to accept Kris!"

"Thats... Thats so selfish, I just cant accept it..."

Just then, an unfamiliar girl suddenly peeked in through the doorway.

"Teacher, is it time to study yet?"

Huh? Teacher?

Mrs Wu face suddenly turn kind.

An expression that I had never seen before.

"Oh my! You came all the way here to see me?"

"Yeah, coz you were late. I have been waiting long."

She smiles at the girl, a very sincere smile.

"I'm sorry about that sweetie. I'll be right there. Wait for me in your ward okay?"

Is Kris Mom the one she's calling a teacher?

She looks back at me with her usual stoic expression.

"Jiyoon, I would like to discuss about this again. After my husband gets discharged."

"Teacher, hurry up!"

"Yes,yes. I'm coming!"

Click!

"Um, what was that all about?"

"Surprised huh?" Mr Wu said with a laugh.

"She used to be an elementary school teacher. She was a pretty popular teacher too."

"She was hmm."

"But when we got married, she quit her job for me. It must have been the hardest decision she had to make. All the students cries saying Ms Park, dont quit.!"

"..."

"With Kris being the only child, she put too much of her energy into raising him and now she's stuck like that... She used to be a teacher loved by the kids."

"I see..."

Maybe thats the reason she kept pushing me to quit my job. To her, its the natural thing to do...

"About Kris, it might take some time for this issue to be resolved. We cant expect her to accept it right away. But as long as Kris is adamant about it, I am sure she will understand it one day."

"Yes, father."

"And you know.. It would be nice of you could show her a grandchild soon."

"Err..."

"She loves kids as you can see. You'd be surprised at how much that could resolve matters.

"Then, uh... I'll try my best."

"Hahahah, I cant wait to see them!"

"What are you two talking about?"

"Kris? Didnt you have overtime today?"

"I finished early and came to visit. It was on the way home."

"Ahh."

"You're not very forthright for a son of mine."

Kris blushed.

"Thats not true. I never speak anything but the truth."

"Is that right?" his father teased.

"Jiyoon, I hope you'll take good care of my silly son."

"I should say the same."

"And hurry up and show us and grandkids!"

"Father!"

"Yes father..."

I can hardly tell him that we've never once slept together...

 

"Honestly...The moment I see them, its grandkids this, grandkids that..."Kris complained.

"Yeah..."

"...."

"...."

"Are..you against it?"

"Hmm? Against what?"

"Being my wife?"

"Oh come on...Its a little too late for that now Hubby..."

"I lied to you from the start. I had an affair and I hurt you."

"...."

"Why do you still want me as your husband?"

He said it in a disinterested tone but his eyes didnt dare to look my way.

It was like he was afraid to know the answer.

I didnt think Kris had an expression like that in him.

So I tried to meet Kris's eyes.

"If I was against it, I would have left the house long ago. I had several chances too but I passed them all up..Didnt divorce get brought up twice?"

"I think so."

"And yet I'm still here with you now hubby. Isnt that all the answer that you need?"

"I see..."

I saw his shoulders slump and I couldnt help but smile.

"Relieved?"

"...."

"Its alright hubby. I dont hate you at all."

"...."

I heard some students laughing together in the distance.

My husband spoke in a voice so quiet that it could have faded off into the distance with the rest of the children's cries.

"Tomorrow's Wednesday isnt it?"

"Yes, thats right?"

"Its still the middle of the week."

"Hmm? Thats right."

"It would be difficult to stay up late, wouldnt it?"

Not catching what he meant, I agreed.

"Yes, it would be bad for us to stay up too late."

"I think I could manage."

"Oh? But you've been so busy lately...."

"...."

Wait.....

Does he mean...?

"Um...You know hubby! Tomorrow's Wednesday, the middle of the week... But I think I could stay up a little late! As long as I got to bed, say by 2am.."

"..."

"As long as you're okay with a breakfast of toast in the morning..."

Kris smiles at me.

"In that case...."

Kris leaned in and whispered softly into my ear.

"I'd like to spend tonight in your bedroom." I nodded and took hold of Kris's arm.

 

ONE LAST CHAPTER TO GOOOOOOOO