Chapter 11 - Kris Yoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

I worked on making breakfast and waited for Kris' bedroom door to open.

He shut himself in his bedroom last night and hasnt come out since...

Maybe I went a little too far. I even slapped him...

Click!

"Good morning."

"Good morning Kris."

He looked at me with a straight face. "I'm sorry about last night. You went through a lot of trouble on my behalf."

Huh?

"I'll never do anything of the sort again. Would you forgive me?"

"I have already forgiven you," I said with a big smile.

"What would you like for breakfast?"

"Its okay, can you pour me some coffee please?"

"You'd rather not eat anything?"

"I've still got a hangover,"he answered. "Thats pathetic of me, getting a hangover at this age."

"...."

"I'm sorry to say that after you went to the trouble of making it, but I'll just have coffee. I will be out of the shower shortly."

"Okay."

Kris is way more depressed than I'd expected.

But what is it that doesnt feel right about this? He was so down on himself, more than alcohol alone could explain. Can someone really change so much overnight?

"Jiyoon, can I ask you about the paint here? Is it okay to just paint it up?"Jinki asked.

"No, it should be more....subdued, I say..."

"Subdued? Something more like this,then?"

Jinki started flipping through samples.

"This one here is the closest," I said.

"Alright. I'll bring this to the contractors and fill them in. If I dont give clear instructions, the finished product might turn out differently.

"Good point. Thanks, Jinki."

Jinki gave detailed painting instuctions to the contractors.

Thank goodness I have Jinki on this job.

If not for him, it would never have gone so well.

 

"That should do it..." I said as I keyed in the details inside the computer.

"How's the wine bar coming along?" Mr Choi asked.

"Its all going on smoothly. Constuction is lagging a little behind, but its all well within our expectations."

"I see. Its tough handling a project from the start, hm?"

"Yes, sir. But I've got Jinki following up everything, and thats a huge help."

"Good. You should take this as an opportunity to learn how he operates. After all, sooner or later..." You'll be getting jobs taht you'll have to handle by yourself. I'm expecting the best from you."

"Thank you very much sir."

 

"I'm home...'

Kris's home already...

"Sorry, I'm late. I'll get dinner started right away."

I quickly unload the groceries on the table.

"There's no rush. I've already finished."

"Oh...I'm sorry."

"Dont worry about it,"he said with a smile. "I'm the one who brought up the idea of eating first without waiting."

That is true...

'I'll try to get home earlier in the future."

"That's not necessary. Work's keeping you busy enough that you cant get honme sooner, right?"

"Well... I suppose so..."

'You dont need to push yourself. Besides, you've finally gotten into work that's worthwhile to you, right? In that case, you should put your energy toward that."

"Maybe, but..."

Truthfully, if Kris's coming home early, I'd like to eat together with him.

But I cant insist on him going out of his way to wait on me...

And certainly cant skip overtime to come home early...

"Something the matter?'

I shake my head . "Its nothing. What did you have for dinner?"

"A convenience store bento box," he answered.

A bento box? He's right......I see the empty box.

And nothing left inside except for the eggplant......

As if he knows whats on my mind, he said.

"Its not a big deal. I didnt even notice it had eggplant as a side dish."

"I guess it cant be helped.... Everyone has something they're picky about."

"No kidding. If only black food could just vanish from this world. Then I'd stop being picky almost entirely.."

"I'm pretty sure eggplants are purple," I teased.

"No, they're blacker than black. At least to me they are."

He's sulking....almost like a kid.

Ringggggggg.....

Kris phone rang.

"Hdllo? Oh, yes..."

"Its not someone from work, is it. Who's he talking to?"

"I see...All right. Yes, Saturday or Sunday. I'll let you know when we decide. See you later...."

"Who was that?"

"My father. He was asking what our schedule for the weekend was."

"For the weekend?"

"This works out perfectly. So whats your Saturday and Sunday looking like?"

"I should be free on both evenings."

"All right. I'd appreciate it if you could ask your parents along as well. I'd like for all of us to have dinner together."

Dinner together?

"Why so surprised?"

"Nothing....its just so sudden."

"Is it? I've been considering it eversince we got married...."

"....."

"So please dont forget asking your parent's schedule."

"Sure, I wont forget."

I just nodded. The last time we ate together was at the marriage arrangement. 

In the end, to fit Dad's schedule, we arranged for the dinner to be on Saturday.

 

"My, its been a while since we've gotten to have a dinner gathering like this,"Mr Wu said happily.

"It certainly has. We havent gotten together since their wedding arrangement interview, hmm?"my Dad add.

"I should apologize. My schedule's kept me so busy that I havent had the time," Kris apologised.

"Please.... You dont need to worry about that,"my Mum said. "We know that you stay busy, Kris."

"So, why the short notice for today? Do you finally have some special announcement for us?" Mrs Wu said in anticipation.

What...?

My parents both looked at me in shock.

"Oh my! Is that right, Yoonie?"Mum asked.

"Really?

Mr Wu looked so pleased. "You could have just said so from the start!"

"Wait, hold on! You've got it wrong! We're not making any announcement today....."

"I have an announcement to make."

Kris rose to his feet with a clatter. 

All eyes in the room, focused on him.

"We're getting a divorce."

"What!?"All of us said in unison.

"The reason for this gathering today is to share that news with you all."

He cant! A divorce.....?

"What is this about Jiyoon?"my Dad yelled.

I panicked. I look cluelessly at him.

"I dont know either...."

"What on earth happened son?"

"Your mother's right! Can you explain this?" Mr Wu demanded.

" The truth is, I was transferred within my company a few days ago. I'm being pulled from the head office's energy important section...And being moved to a commodity importer subsifiary.."

My Dad was shocked. "What did you say?"

"Calm down dear...."

"Well, its......"

"My father in law understands the significance of this event. I have been removed completely from the pathway to promotion. I have no future prospect even if I stay with my company. In other words....She...Jiyoon has lost her benefits in our marriage..."

What? Benefits...?

"Mr and Mrs Jeon, i was unable go live up to your expectations for me. And for that, I am terribly sorry." He said with a bow. " But Jiyoon has a job. She shouldnt have any problems living apart from me. And she still has plenty of prospect for remarriage....I consider this decision to be for the best."

All of us were silent, too shock to speak.

"I am sorry for allowing things to reach the point of having to deliver this announcement," kris bowed his head again, deeply this time and everyone at the table exchanged looks.

"Wait, I dont understand this son...."

"Yes,"my Mum agrees. "Even if you say its for the best, thats so...How can a divorce be for the best....? What about uou Yoonie? Is this acceptable to you?"

"Its not. Of course it isnt!!"

I abruptly rose to my feet.

"Kris, whats the big idea here? How can you decide that all by yourself? How can you draw thiz conclusion all by yourself in such an important matter? Thats horrible! Too selfish for words!"

"I dont care if its selfish. It doesnt change the fact that its for the best. I figured you' d reach the same conclusion on your own eventually. Thats why I didnt consult you."

"You're lying! Truth is, you knew I'd never go along with it if you had brought it up with me earlier."

Kris looked away.

"There will not be a divorce. I refuse to be seperated from you!"

"No matter what you say, my feelings on this wont change."

"And neither will mine!!"

He looked at me, surprised."What did you say? Werent you the one who said that you wanted a divorce to start with?"

"And werent you the one who pleaded with me to give up on the divorce?"

"The situation was different then."

"Yes,it was. Thats why I'm never getting a divorce now!"

He look almost defeated. " There's just no getting through to you, is there? I never though you'd be so stubborn...."

"If you had taken the time to know me, you will know that I can be stubborn as I like. From my part, I never expected you to be so selfish!"

"Both of you! Please settle down!" Mr Wu said. "This is just a lover's pat right? A minor disagreement, right?"

But Mrs Wu looks crampy. "Honestly, this is why it would have come to this if you'd just had a kid sooner!"

Eventually with both sides of parents pleading with us to talk this over like adults.....the scene grew calm.

But......

 

Knock! Knock!

"Come out Kris. Lets talk this over!"

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Kris!!!!!"

"My answer is already settled," Kris said from the other side of the door.

"And so is mine!!"

"We're divorcing"

"We are not!"

With that, he just went silent again.

I listened with an ear to the door but heard no sound within.

"Please, Kris. Come out...."

Knock,knock,knock!

"Kris! Cant we talk about this?"

"...."

"Yes, I'm the one who first brought up divorce, but I dont want to seperate from you anymore. I really dont...." I cried helplessly.

"...."

"So please.....Cant we talk this over? Please, Kris....I'm begging you....."

I bang my forehead gently on the door. "Please......"

Its no use.,..He's not going to budge any time soon.

Whats making him so stubborn?

If it comes to this, I'll catch Kris through sheer will.

I wiped my tears, grabbed a blanket from my bedroom and wrapped myself in it from the shoulders down.

The moment he comes out of his room for anything tonight, even going to the bathroom....I'll catch him and make him talk to me. 

"I'll do if. Mark my words...."I whispered to myself.

 

Late, late into the night, click.....came the sound of the door opening....

"Are you still here? Honestly.... What would you do if you catch a cold like that?"

I heard someone's voice...Its a voice I know well but I cant remember....

Then my body was lifted up.

Oh, is he carrying me?

"You're surprisingly heavy."

How rude.....Who does he think he is....?

But he feels really warm....

I nestled against him, seeking to feel more of that warmth.

"Honestly...You're like a child."

The faintest hint of a laugh.

My form was set down on some someplace soft.

"Hurry up and leave me. That way you wont get burned again...."

Burned ? Me?

"Goodnight Jiyoon."

"Goodnight...Kr..." I murmured someone's nsme as I fell deeper into slumber.....