Chapter 2 - KrisYoon Couple(Completed)

In Your Arms Tonight

It been threee months since our marriage.

"Kris?" I calls out.

I knocked on his door a few times.

"Lunch is ready."

Click.. He opens the door. " Sorry but I am going out soon."

"What? But you didnt mentioned about that yesterday..."

"Something came up on a short notice. I cant help that."

I look at him with a sigh. "I supposed not."

I glanced at Kris's ring finger. He's got his ring off again. He said it would get in the way at his work but he could at least wear it on the weekends.

"What? Is something wrong?"

I shake my head. "Nothing. When will you get back?"

"Probably late. I have a key so you can go on to bed ahead of me."

"Alright."

He went into work on Saturday and today he's going to be late on short notice.

In the end, I didnt get to spend any of the weekend with my husband.

On days when he doesnt have to work or other errands, he just shuts himself.in his room and doesnt come out.

"Maybe you could go out too," he suggested. "You worked yourself to the bone on weekdays, dont you? Sometimes its nice to spread your wings at home. Didnt I tell you before. Even if we are married, I want us to respect each other's time. So why not spend your time the way you like?"

"I'd like to spend it with you, Kris."

He seems appalled by my answered.

"Sorry but I have my own lifestyle. I find it extremely unpleasant when others interfere with it."

Unpleasant huh?

"Well, I'm off."

I grabbed his arm. "Kris."

He look annoyed. "What? I'm in a hurry."

"Mum and Dad say they're coming by next Saturday. Do you have any plans?

"Next week, hm.. Alright, I will try and make some time for them."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Sure," he said as he light brushed away my hands.

He walk straight to the door and left.

I gave a sigh in the solitude of the living room.

I know. Maybe I should organize the photos from our honeymoon. Mum will surely looking forward to view it.

"This is from the second day. This is from the third..."

Now then I realized. Its mostly the pictures of scenery.

There isnt a single picture of us together. Kris said he's camera shy but is that really all there is to it?

Besides, nothing happened for the whole honeymoon.

We shared the same hotel room for a whole week but stayed in seperate beds.

"Why?"

What does Kris think of me? Why wont he touch me?

 

And then one day. I was told that I was being tranferred to my dream division.

But what awaits me is just cold harsh reality.

Mr Choi Siwon my Manager didnt seem to hold me high in regards.

Whoa, Mr Choi is grilling the hell out of her on day one,"Bora whispered to Jinki.

"Hey now, he can hear you,"Jinki scolded her.

"But." "Mr Choi, I feel bad for the new girl with how much you're grilling her."

Jinki! "She's been here for as long as I have. Could you let me mentor her?"

"Fine, whatever,"he replied curtly before going back to his desk to continue on his work.

When I came back to work, Mr Choi didnt even look into my direction.

I ended up spending the whole morning arranging my things and skimming through magazines for reference.

 

Lunch time I ends up eating out with Jinki at his invitation.

"Thank you for earlier."

"Hm?" "For standing up to me and also for the references and things you showed me,"I explained.

"Oh that. Thats only natural. Dont worry about it. But I was surprised to see Mr Choi treating you so harshly myself."

"Yeah? But I dont know if I'm cut for the design team. Honestly, I'd been wishing for it since I joined this company. But for all that, I never did any studying on it. I just yearned for a design job. What have I done for the past nine years..........."

"If thats how you  feel about it, yoi'll just have to study, moving forward."

I looked at Jinki with a solemn experession.

"If you have the motivation gor it, you can still make it work. Study a lot and hone your design sense as much as you can. This job is just a repetition of that."

Jinki....... 

"You're right..Alright, I'll give it my best shot."

"Yeah, thats the spirit! And lets see...The general affairs office is nice about overtime but it gets pretty bad in our office. So you'd better make sure your husband knows that."

"My husband?"

"Yeah. Remember the girl who came to our office in the middle of her career and than quit half a year later?"

"Yeah. Wasnt that Lee Min Jung?"

"She got married right? It was all fine when she first started working here, but there was so much overtime that it started causing friction Min Jung and her husband. They were apparently a bunch of domestic disputes that arose from that. In the end, that forced her to quit."

"......"

"So you better talk it over with your husband too Jiyoon. You're still newlyweds...Your husband might get lonely."

"I suppose so."

I'd better talk it over with Kris tonight.

"Oh but tonight'my high school reunion!

 

Chatting with some close friends.

Then a reunion with my first love.....

In the end, it was past 11 when I left the bar where the class reunion was being held.

"Well, this is where I part ways. See you later." Gyuri said to me.

"Be careful on the way back."

I had just stepped walking off from Gyuri when I heard footsteps approaching from behind.

"Jiyoon!"

"Minho....."

My first love whom I had just seen again for the first time in twelve years.....

"You going straight home?"

"Yeah."

"Want to join me for one more stop?" he invited.

"......"

"Want to go out with me?"

I would be lying if I said my heart didnt skip a beat when he asked that. But.....

"I'm sorry. My husband is waiting for me at home."

"Oh."

"Take care Minho."

Minho turned his back to me and walks away.

I'd better call Kris. I wonder if he's still up.

I did get to talk to Kris and was telling him about my day but he said that he's in a work gathering and hangs up.

I was walking home and I saw my husband who was supposed to be at a work gathering  kissing a woman who I had never met before.

I heard a distant voice in my sleep.......

My eyes opened at the sound of the alarm clock.

I fell asleep with my clothes and makeup on.

I went to the washroom and look at myself in the mirror. 

I look awful.....My eyes are bloodshot and my skin's all splotchy.

"And my heart is pounding...."

I couldnt get the image of that scene out of my head.

Shouldnt I talk to Kris about this? But how?

Who's the woman you were kissing?

Do you love her?

I willed my b tears back firmly.

I should shower before anything else... I have to get ready for work.

 

"Good morning Yoonie," Seunghyun greets.

"Good morning."

"I heard you got a new assignment right off the bat!"

"Yeah."

"Nice going! You really have a good balance between work and private huh?"

I only gave her a small smile.

"Hey Yoonie, are your eyes puffy?"

"Oh yeah, I saw a real tearjerker movie last night."

"Dummy, you should see those on  the weekend. When you're at this age, yourface doesnt fix itself overnight."

"Ughh, dont say things like that so early in the morning. Its such a downer."

 Bora came up to me, " Ms Jeon, the team meeting is starting!"

"Thanks, I'm on my way."

 

"And that concludes the book Cafe report," Mr Choi said. "Jiyoon and I will be taking charge of this project."

He turns to me. "Jiyoon, have all the materials ready by the end of today!"

"Understood."

"Now, who has the next report?"

"I'll start with the project that I'm handling," Jinki said. "For the station building, wereceived an estimate fro  vendors last week...."

I can forget Kris at least while I'm working.

But........,.

 

"And....there we go."

I took the ingredients that I had bought at the grocery store just before it closed and laid them out on the table.

I'd better get dinner made. I should prepare breakfast while I'm at it.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it wax just past 9pm.

What time will Kris be back?

Is he going to spend the night out again tonight?

"No, he'll be back. Surely he will," I told myself.

 

The clock rolled past 11pm.

Kris still not back yet.

I look at the food on the table.

I went to all this trouble to make dinner and now its all cold 

"Oh well. I guess I can warm it back up later."

Beep!

A text? Is it from Kris?

Oh, to my disappointment, its Tiffany.

What? Minho's TV?

I hurriedly the TV and heard a popular idol talking in a cutesy voice.

"What? Then why did you become a GK, Minho? Gna asked.

"I'm not sure how to answer that...."

Its really Minho...

I'm pretty behind the times but I guess he is really famous.

I thought back to his confession at the reunion.....

And to the trouble he went through to drive me home in the rain......

And the time we had parted ways then.....

Click.

"Welcome home."

Kris face immediatey harden when he saw me.

"What, you're still up? You didnt have to wait for me. You could have just gone to bed."

He glance at the TV. The he headed straight for his bedroom.

"Kris, your dinner......"

He stopped without bothering to turn his back to look at me. 

"I've still got work to do. I'll eat if I feel like it. Dont worry about me. Goodnight."

When he feels like it? What the heck!

"But I havent eaten yet...."

He turns around, looking pissed off.

"Then go on and eat by yourself! I eat when I want to eat. Just let me work right now."

"Alright,"I said in defeat. "But one more thing.....from now on, you should contact me. If you'd rather I not wait for you for dinner, at least send me an e-mail or call me...."

"Thats not necessary."

"Why?"

"When I'm home late, you can just eat dinner by yourself and go on to bed. Its easier for both of us that way."

"....."

"If you have nothing more to say, I've got work to do."

Clack!

Its easier that way? Maybe so but......

I glanced back at the TV that I'd left on.

"Oh yeah, are you single Minho? Do you have plans to get married.

"I got dumped recently..."

"Wha....."Gna said. She looked very shock.

"Wait....," the host said. "Is it okay for you to talk about that....?"

"Okay or not, its reality."

"Wow...The girl who dumped Choi Minho must be a real moron,"the host commented.

Did I pick the wrong man to marry?

I could be happy with Kris, I believed that.

Or did I just have the wrong idea entirely?

I just stood in place, overwhelmed by unbearable thoughts.