Prologue Part 1

In Your Arms Tonight

 

                                       design a kitchen 162 Design A Kitchen

The savory aroma of chicken permeated the kitchen.

"I think it should be just about done...Yes, perfect."

My mum stepped in as I was preparing dinner.

"I'll lend a hand, Yoonie,"Mum said.

"Thanks, Umma. Could you prepare the salad?"

"Sure. Is that chicken kimchi stew?"

I nodded. "Yeah, its Kris favourite."

"Kris has been working overseas so long. I wonder if he misses Korean food."

I work for the division affairs of an interior design production company.

My hubby works for the overseas division of CJ Products.

"I'm glad to see you looking so happy. You're lucky your Appa introduced you to such a lovely man."

"Yeah...."

Our marriage had been arranged through my dad, a Banker.

 

                                      main-qimg-b1960ad8dbc0388715a27ff509f082

Clink, click...........

Straight from the beautiful red carpet to the altar and quite happily so.

I remembered the smiles on the faces of the the priest and Kris in his tuxedo.
kris+2.png

A marriage to a tall handsome, academically qualified high earner.

All of my friends had been green with envy.

 

A family of four having dinner with wine.

"Are your parents doing well Kris?"Dad asked.

"Yes, thank you for asking."

"Once things settle down, let's go golfing again with your dad."my Dad suggested.

Kris smiled and nodded,'All right."

"Oh yes, I still haven't gotten to see the pictures from the honeymoon. You'll have to show them to me later,"my mum requested.

"I thought you might say that. I've already got them ready in an album,"I said.

Satisfied, she turns to my husband and asked,"How is the food Kris? Is it to your liking?"

"Delicious, thank you. I am delighted to have a wife who is so good at cooking,"he replied, smiling.

"Hear that Yoonie?"

"Yes?"

 

I was enveloped in the fragrance of rose oil.

"A silk camisole....I wonder if Kris will like it?" I asked myself softly.

I looked at myself in front of the mirror, feeling unusually anxious.

 

Kris looked at me as I entered the living room.

I gave him a bashful smile. "Hmmm....."

But he looks away, "I'm tired...I'm going to sleep."

"What?" I was kinda sad and shocked by his words.

"Goodnight,"he says, walking off, without looking at me. He headed back to his room.

I helplessly sat on the sofa, feeling so dejected.

Does my husband really love me....?

Three months since our marriage............

I still hadn't slept with my husband, not once..............

 

The next morning.

As Kris put on his shoes and rose to his feet, I offered him his briefcase.

"Thanks,"he muttered.

"I have my high school reunion today so I might be out a little late,"I told him.

"Yeah? Take all the time you like. Have fun."

"Thanks."

Oh good, Kris seems to be in a good mood today.

There was a large suitcase at the door with broken wheels. It had an oversized trash sticker affixed to it marked with today's date and the the name Wu.

But Kris pretended not to see it. "I'm off."

"Be safe."

And he stepped out into the elevator hall.

I'd been hoping he might offer to carry it downstairs for me.....

"Here it goes."

I lifted the 40 pound suitcase.

 

"Whew, heavy!"

I set the suitcase down and took a breath.

"What's got you sighing so early in the morning?"

I looked at and smile, "Oh, good morning Jinki."

Lee Jinki worked at my company.

He lived close by so we commuted from the same station.

"Taking another trip?"he asked.

"Not quite. The wheels on this suitcase are broken during our honeymoon so i figured I should finally get rid of it."

"You should just let your husband handle it."

".............."

I used all my energy to lift the suitcase again but seems that my energy has run out.

"Oh for Pete's sake. I'll take it!"

He shooed me away, handed me his briefcase and lifted the suitcase.

"Women shouldnt have to carry things this heavy. That's what men are for."

I just smile at what he says.

He heaved the suitcase and headed for the trash dump.

 

"I'm a nice guy. I'm totally cool and I put my heart into everything,"he said as though promoting himself after helping me dump the suitcase. "So, why am I stuck being single?"

"No kidding."

He sighed. "I guess it's because you're already married."

"Err.........."

"Ahaha."

"Dummy! Don't take that seriously."

I smiled as I handed him his briefcase back.

"Thanks for carrying my briefacase. Well, I'll go on ahead to work. Don't be late."

"Oh, right. Thanks, I appreciate it."

Jinki gave a casual wave and jogged off for the station.

 

"Good morning!" I came running into the office right before the start of my shift.

"Good morning Jiyoon, got a minute?" my superior, Miss Gain said before going inside he office.

"Coming," I replied.

Uh-oh, did I do something wrong? Why would Miss Gain call me in so early in the morning? God bless me!

 

"Its' been decided that you'll be working under Choi Siwon in the design team starting today."

"Huh?"

"What's wrong with the gaping fish look?"she chided. "Show me some excitement!"

I regained back my composure. "Sorry..It's just so sudden."

"Well, I'm sure you'll do fine. You're A-OK in my book!"

 

"Here we go."

I lifted the cardboard box containing my personal belongings.

I don't believe it. I worked in general affairs for the whole 9 years since I've been with this company, I'd given up on a shot at a move like this long ago.

I grew nervous at the sight of the words before me 'Sales Division: Design Team'.

"Whew..." I'll just have to give it my best.

 

"Hmm? Jiyoon, what are you doing here?"

Jinki was working at his desk. He looked up at me questioningly.

His voice drew the attention of the others around.

They all looked at me.

I drew myself up and forced a smile.

"I'm Jeon Jiyoon. I've been transferred to the design team of the sales division as of today. I look forward to working with everyone!"

There was a manager facing me who was seated near the window.

He rose to his feet and stared at me.

".............."

The sales division manager.. I've heard he's  really scary guy.

"I'm Siwon , the manager."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFeRCZ2DjSxmVU1IfEaAh

"Jeon Jiyoon, pleased to meet you.'

'I've always admired the design team. I'm delighted to be transferred to it. I very much look forward to working with you.'

"Ms Jeon, who was the architect responsible for making the Gangnam Casino, the first legal Casino in Korea?"

"Err, sorry, I dont know," I replied honestly. I was a bit stunned by his sudden question.

"Have you seen any performances that left a strong impression with you lately?"

I pondered. Not that I can think of . "Performances...? That's not a field that I hold a lot of interest in...."

"Have you seen the art exhibit currently being ruin at the National Art Museum?'

Oh geez, I think I'm gonna faint... "No, sir..."

Disappointment and hopelessness was clearly shown on his face.

"So someone interested in interior design doesnt even know the name of a mainstream architect? With no interest in performances or art, either?'

I looked down helplessly with each weakness pointed.

"What are your selling point Ms Jeon?"

"Selling points?"

"Yeah. Can you use CAD? Are you even qualified as an interior coordinator? Some certificate?"

"No,sir...I just took an interior design course back in college."

"I have no use for amateurs. I need profesionals,"he said curtly. "If you mean to treat this as a side job to being a housewife, there's the door."

He said that with a pointed glance at the ring on my left finger.

"That's not what I..." That was all I could say. I had nothing that I could offer in my own defense.

Mr Choi is right. I havent put forth any effort.

I could have studied some of these for the past nine years but I hadnt.

I'm so pathetic that I wish I could crawl into a hole right now.

"Mr Choi, you're making me feel bad for the new girl with how much you're griling her,"Jinki said in my defense. "She's been here for as long as I have. Why dont you let me look after her?"

"Fine, whatever," Siwon replied before turning towards his pc and going back to his paperwork.

"Come here. Your seat's this way,"Jinki said to me.

I brought my stuffs over to my desk and started sorting out my belongings.

Onew planted a sizeable stack of interior design magazines on my desk.

"Start by reading these and studying up on the current interrior design trends."

"Thank you......"

I wasted no time in flipping through a magazine and I saw the Gangnam Casino feature article on the first page.

I learned that the architect that had designed the Casino was named William Pedersen.

 

My high school reunion......

I guess women tend to stick with the friends whom they truly get along with.

"I never thought you'd get transferred to sales, Yoonie!" Seunghyun said happily.

Seunghyun and I had gone to high school together and worked at the same place.

She was CAD operator to the interior design team.

"Man, dont bring up work now!!"Tiffany complains.

"Yeah, time is money," Gyuri agrees.

"Just think, all the guys who acted like juveniles in high school might have grown into cool guys by now," Tiffaby said. " We should take the chances while we can!"

"Hey! Nevermind Tiffany, Yoonie is newlywed. Dont drag her into adultery!" Gyuri chided.

" Hey now, I'm not giving up the purity I've preserved for 30 years to just any guy," Seunghyun commented.

"Seunghyun, step it up already!" Gyuri,Tiffany and I said in unison.

Gyuri and Tiffany were also high school friends of mine from high school. Gyuri is a housewife while Tiffany works as a magazine journalist.

Together, the four of us had been through all the good and bad times together.

"So, whats your doing about work Yoonie? Gonna go for it or not?" Tiffany asked.

"Mmmmmm....."

"Family comes first. Your husband's already a high earner anyway, so this could be a good reason to quit," Gyuri said.

"......."

"Dont do that. Your dream finally came true Yoonie," Seunghyun protested.

"......"

"You want kids right? Child-rearing is a test of a strength, so the sooner you start, the better,'Gyuri advised.

"......"

"Well give it some thoughts. You only live once, so try to live with no regrets," Tiffany said.

"You're all right. I'll take my time and think it over."

"Personally,I think its important to have a balance in everything you do, whether its work, home or romance."

Gyuri look unhappily at Tiffany. "Here we go with the inciting to affairs again!"

Chatter, chatter..........

"Ahhhhhh," Woman A shrieked.

"What? He really came?" Woman B said excitedly.

The other girls were in a tizzy.

"Whoa seriously?"Man A said.

"For real?" Man B asked.

Some men in suits exchanging business cards also rose to their feet.

I could see a fair,tall and well-built looking man in the entryway.

No way. Is that.....Minho...?

"Hey, check it out. Isnt that your first boyfriend, Yoonie?" Seunghyun pointed out.

"It sure is. That's Choi Minho! He's gotten so ripped!" Tiffany said in admiration.

"Didnt Minho went to Italy on a soccer scholarship after graduation?" Gyuri asked.

I gave a small nod.

Oh geez, my heart is pounding.............

Minho made his way straight up to me.

"Yoonie, long time no see. How have you been?"

"Yeah..I've been good, thanks for asking. You look like you're doing well too Minho."

"Sure am. I'm on the top of my world!" he said with a laugh.

"Minho, I saw you on some sports news! You were chosen to be on the National Team , right?" Woman A interrupted us.

"Congrats,"Man A said after hearing the news.

In the blink of an eye, Minho was swamped by our old classmates.

"Hey guys, long time no see. What's up? You look like a bunch of old fogeys!"

"Shut up!"Man B said before laughing out loud.

'Let's share a toast,"Man A suggested.

Beers were ordered and Minho happily accepted one.

They were all cheering for Minho to be the one giving the toast.

"All right!"

He stood up on the table with a flourish.

"Uhh, I came back to Korea for two things.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVPnkkI80rZHGoOKbBtig

"The first was to represent Korea in the World Cup. I am aiming to be the best Goalie in the world! The other thing was ............."

Minho glanced my way.

"JEON JIYOON! I CAME HERE FOR YOU!"

I was taken aback.

I heard the girls shrieking in the background.

Everyone in the bar looked our way.

"Ouch...Sorry, Minho, It wont work,"Seunghyun said. "You're three months late."

"What?"

"Yoonie got married three months ago. Their parents set them up,"Gyuri answered.

"That aint my concern!"

Minho gave me a determined look. "When I want something, I take it. That goes for soccer positions and for women!"

That has to be a joke right? Oh God, my face is practically on fire.

Minho looked right at me with a smile. Then he raised his mug high.

"Cheers!"

"Cheers!" all the people cheered.

After that Minho went over to the men's tables as if nothing had happened.

"How nice. I wish someone would say that to me,"Seunghyun gushed.

"What'll you do Yoonie?"

"There's nothing for me to do. I am already married..."

"Well, love is free whether you're married or not..."

"Cut it out with that affair stuff Tiffy! No one should do anything so low!"

"Low huh? Come on Park Gyuri! Sleeping around in marriage is totally common in these days."

"Its because of girls like you, I dont get any hot guys Tifft,"Seunghyun lamented.

"Hey, its the law of the jungle!"

Gyuri and Seunghyun looked sullen upon Tiffany's remark.

"Dont worry. I'm not having an affair. I hardly could anyway. Besides, he was just kidding around. Minho was just teasing me.

The proof was that Minho was engrossed in soccer talk with the guys and didnt so much look my way.

"Oh geez, its already 11,"Gyuri said after looking at her watch. "I better get home."

She rose from her seat.

"I'd better get back myself. I cant go in late after getting in a new position."

Tiffany and Seunghyun decided to stay for a while.

I took my purse and headed with Gyuri for the door.

As we stepped out, I glanced at Minho's seat.

He still had his back turned to us.

So it was really a joke after all...........

I left the bar, feeling a mixture of relief and disappointment.

I parted ways with Gyuri and began walking home.

Pulling out my cell phone, I dialled Kris's number.

The phone rang for quite some time.

Is he taking a bath?

I was about to hang up when I heard him saying hello.

"Hello, it me Jiyoon. Sorry I'm so late. I'm on my way home now."

"Oh, I'm still out at a work function myself. Be careful on your way home."

He said goodbye but I somehow I wanted to hear his voice more and tell him about my day.

"Kris, I got transferred today. I'm moving from the general business division to the design team in the sales division."

"....."

"I wanted to go there for so long, I was ecstatic. But the manager said that if I was doing it as a side job to beimg a housewife, I should just go home. I wasnt sure of what to do........."

"Sorry, but I'm in the middle of something."

"Oh..I'm sorry."

"See you later."

He hangs up the phone before I can say goodbye.

I guess I spoiled his mood. Interrupting him in the middle of work...

Argh..I nees to show more consideration towards others.

"I know. I'll make a nice omelette for Kris tomorrow morning!"

I stopped at a shop nearby and picked up some milk and eggs.

I walked past a park linking to my house, shopping bag in hand.

 

Wait.....Is that Kris?

What's he doing here?

I walked toward Kris.

 

"Wait up Krisssss!"

Then I saw an unfamiliar woman came up from behind him.

The two of them embraced as if drawn together.

And they shared a kiss.

I was breathless in shock.......

The shopping bag fell out of my hands, breaking the eggs inside.

My husband cuddled with the woman as they climbed into a taxi.

It was headed in the opposite direction of our house.

I slumped to the ground, ready to fall apart on the spot.

I stared at the yellowish egg stain on the ground.

I was at loss for what to do now.

What do I do? What should I do at a time like this?