CHAPTERTWELVE

Birds of the Same Feather

{ Mixed Feelings }

 

[ 9:00 p.m. That Night, In School Corridor ]

 

"Chanyeol?" Jiyeon called out.

Chanyeol raised his head up. His eyes were teary and tears were streaming down his cheeks. Jiyeon gasped in shock as Chanyeol immediately wiped the tears off him, standing up. He intended to run away from her but Jiyeon held onto his wrists as Chanyeol did not utter any response but continued sniffing. Jiyeon sighed as she spun him around and saw Chanyeol frowning.

"What happened?" She asked worriedly.

"It's nothing... Um, you better get going back, Myungsoo's probably waiting for you, and you shouldn't be out with me at night like this." Chanyeol said, pushing Jiyeon's hands away but Jiyeon gripped onto his wrist again.

He wore a sad face as he lowered his head, burying his head in his chest as Jiyeon lifted his head up.

"I don't know why I am doing this, but you're my friend right? It's not like we're any adulterers or what." Jiyeon explained. She then suddenly guessed, "Is it because of your family?" 

Chanyeol bit his lips and slowly nodded his head. Jiyeon nudged his shoulders again and Chanyeol spilled the beans. "It's about my family. My dad is throwing tandrums in the house. He has always been this unhappy and grumpy everytime ever since he lost his eye sight. He just can't get over that incident. That incident was a scar and a thorn in his heart." He said, letting off a sigh.

"I need to go back home tomorrow to check on him, and also to comfort him. It's been like this." Chanyeol said. 

"You're a happy virus in this school. It's a mask all along." Jiyeon commented. Chanyeol turned around and raised his brows as Jiyeon smirked and replied, "I mean, you are always so happy and excited in life, but it was all used to cover up the pain beneath you, in your heart. Your dad, your family. You tried to cover them up with your happy virus." 

Chanyeol chuckled. "I am like this by nature. It's just that... I've been forcing this happiness out for quite awhile already, ever since my dad's incident. That incident, was the start of the family problems. My family's funds decreased tremendously ever since that incident as the breadwinner was lost. I am now trying to earn money to support them. My mom needs to take care of my dad and can't afford to take up any more jobs. She already took up a part-time job as a waitress in the korean restaurant across our apartment." Chanyeol explained.

Jiyeon bit her lips as she patted on her shoulders to comfort him. Chanyeol began weeping again as he suddenly rested his head on the shoulders. Jiyeon felt a sudden pang in her heart, she felt weird to have his head on her shoulders. Playing with her fingers nervously, her eyes were wide as she stared into blank space. It was too sudden, yet it gave her a weird sensation.

Both of them remained at that position when Chanyeol suddenly stood up and wiped his tears away. Aware of Jiyeon's feelings, he faked out a laugh as he stood up and stretched his body. 

"Ah... that was really wrong." He said, forcing another smile.

Jiyeon forced a smile and nodded her head.

"Anyway... I guess I better get going back to the dorm." Chanyeol said but Jiyeon stopped him by saying, "How about I follow you to your home? Maybe your dad will feel better? I am a good comforter, and really everyone's best friend." 

Chanyeol smiled and nodded his head. His face was beaming with smiles as he bid farewell to Jiyeon and left for his dorm.

Jiyeon remained sitting at the bench as she kept thinking of the moment Chanyeol rested his head on her shoulders. She did not see that coming, it escalated too quickly and suddenly for her to capture her thoughts. She lowered her head as that scene kept popping up in her mind. It was weird, and it felt different.

 

Jiyeon soon returned to her dorm to see Luna sitting on the couch, curling her body up as she wore her big, huge round black glasses as he paid attention to the drama series on the television.

"Luna... My mind is so at lost. There's just too many things going on recently." Jiyeon whined as Luna gave her a disgusted look.

"What's wrong?" She replied, her eyes pinned onto the drama series. 

"I... am going to Chanyeol's house tomorrow." She said, covering her face in shame.

Luna widened her eyes and coughed. She then shut the television off and hopped beside Jiyeon on the other side of the couch, clinging onto her arm, she smacked her hand. 

"Are you insane?! You're going to another guy's house when you already ing had a boyfriend? Are you out of your mind?!" Luna screamed at her. Jiyeon leaned away from Luna, shocked by her sudden outburst.

"I did not see that coming... But well, he's having difficulties in his family. He looks really gloomy these days though. Anyway, I am not even going there to have a one-night-stand or to do anything lovely with him, I'm just going there to visit and help out in his family matters, is that even sinful or anything betraying Myungsoo?" She tried to explain.

Luna smacked her arm and yelled, "But you are a girl, a GIRL GOING INTO A GUY'S HOUSE is a no-no, especially when you're already attached to Myungsoo in the first place!" 

Jiyeon ruffled her hair in distress and she turned her head elsewhere. "I don't know what to do in my life Luna. Studies should always be my first priority here, but these relationships are tiring me out. I am not even in love with him!" Jiyeon exclaimed.

"Not even in love with him?! Oh you got to be kidding me, especially when you're helping him out at his home tomorrow!" Luna said.

"Jiyeon-ah, don't take this into account, but you are going to far with him. You are falling in love with him sooner or later. I don't want to see that coming as you already have Myungsoo, both of you were going so strong this few months! You sure you want to end it because you starting to love Chanyeol? Myungsoo is fickle as a human being, he has feelings as well." Luna explained. "He loves you so much, so don't betray him for Chanyeol alright?" Luna added on.

Jiyeon sighed as Luna continued explaining, "Myungsoo is so deeply in love with you. Even an idiot can see that." 

Jiyeon sighed. "I won't fall in love with him okay? He is, and will only be my good close friend alright." She assured Luna, whom shook her head in disappointment.

 

[ Next day, 10:00 a.m. To Chanyeol's House ]

 

Jiyeon and Chanyeol were out on the streets, it was in Gangnam and Chanyeol's house was in one of the districts in Gangnam. Both of them were walking along the main street, where there were huge banners, billboards around the place, tall, high-rise buildings surrounding them as they were slowly strolling to Chanyeol's house.

"So this is where you leave? I didn't expect that though." Jiyeon said, looking around at the high-rise buildings. "I don't live in these posh areas, I actually... um nevermind, you'll see it later." Chanyeol said, which aroused Jiyeon's curiosity.

"Before you go to my house, I've got to warn you... My dad's not really friendly. Ever since that incident, he totally shut himself from the world. It seems like he's now living in a cardboard box, well literally." Chanyeol warned her.

Jiyeon smirked and shook her head. "Trust me, he'll love me." She assured him.

"You sure is one amicable person." Chanyeol commented as Jiyeon giggled in reply.

 

The house was totally beyond Jiyeon's expectations. It was a small house, it was in shambles and ruins as the roof was made of recycled and large chunks of metal pieces and aluminium boards. The walls were made of brick and the door was made of aluminium board screwed onto the brick wall. There were several windows, but the windows were dusty, and filled with dirt. It seemed like a shabby house in a first view.

Jiyeon bit her lips as she slowly stepped into the house. It was plated with creaky, wooden floor as she stepped inside to see the walls of the house, plated with wooden panels and wooden panels. She looked around the house. It was dusty, there were spiderwebs at some corners of the house. Balls of dust and dirt were lying over the ground. Jiyeon pinched her nose as she bit her lips seeing the devastating state of the house. 

The house had barely any more windows, except one in the rooms and one in the kitchen and one in the living room. Her eyes were wandering all over the house as Chanyeol placed his keys on the shelf above the shoe rack as he scratched the back of his neck, feeling embarrassed seeing the curious expression on Jiyeon's face.

"Sorry for the mess." Chanyeol said, frowning while Jiyeon shook her head and smiled.

 

"Appa, I'm home." Chanyeol said. 

With his voice, a middle-aged man, walks out of the bedroom, with a walking stick as he slowly made his way to the couch. "Someone's beside you, is it?" The man said.

"Ne, appa, this is Jiyeon. Jiyeon, this is my appa. Jiyeon is my close friend in university." Chanyeol introduced.

The man forced a smile as he took a seat on the couch. "Have a seat then, Jiyeon." The man said, pointing to the sofas across him. Jiyeon bit her lips and slowly took a seat across him at the couch.

"Did you have a nice day, Mr Park?" Jiyeon said, beaming with smiles.

Chanyeol sighed as he went to the kitchen to pour a glass of water for Jiyeon. Chanyeol's father turned his head around, away from Jiyeon as he crossed his legs. "My days have never been better ever since this happened." He hissed at her.

Jiyeon bit her lips. Feeling intimidated by his coarse, raspy sharp voice, she then leaned towards the table, closer to Chanyeol's father. Chanyeol's father, despite having a disability in sight, he could smell Jiyeon's flora scent. It had a smell of daffodils, Chanyeol's mother's favourite scent. He started to reminisce the good old days spent with his wife as a smile soon crept upon his lips.

Jiyeon smiled as she managed to get him smile. "How did you have this perfume? It's nice." Chanyeol's father stated.

"Oh, I just love daffodils scent. I'm also pretty sure you love them right?" Jiyeon asked.

He smiled and nodded his head. "It gives me those great nostalgic feelings. Really missed them, seems like I turned the clock back in time. Chanyeol's mother wears a perfume with a scent identical to yours. I remembered it so much because its so distinct and unique. It's also a part of her. I will always buy her this perfume with daffodils scent, if I'm not wrong it's a branded perfume." He stated, smiling as he thought of those fond memories. 

"Oh, by the way, it's surprising for a young girl like you to like daffodil-scented perfume. Most girls go for the sweet ones these days." Chanyeol's father asked curiously.

"I just came to love it. I don't like sweet scents, they irks my nose sometimes." Jiyeon said, giggling. "Mr Park, I heard about your incident from Chanyeol-sshi." She then slowly changed the topic.

"Ah, that incident. Ugh, this child." The father said, his smile turned into a frown.

"I don't meant to tease you or to remind you of that incident, but, Mr Park, you need to get over it. I am just saying this straight - let the bygones by bygones." Jiyeon said, as she sat beside him, patting on his shoulders.

"I can't even see now.." Mr Park said, a tear rolling down from his eyes.

Jiyeon bit her lips. "Mr Park, let me tell you something. Being blind doesn't mean anything. Yes, I feel you. Being blind, you feel hopeless, you feel like someone useless and will only end up getting pushed about and directed by someone else. You will feel too reliant on others, you feel less capable, you feel like you are a waste of space. You can't see, you can't admire and see the world's beauty. Possibities are made impossible now. Your life is more miserable, isn't it?" Jiyeon said.

She then sighed and added on, "But it isn't the end of the world. Doesn't mean you cant see the world, means you can't do anything."

"It's true there are many things you cant do. But let me ask you this, is there nothing you can do? You can do something! You can be those DJ in radio shows, you can do whatever you want. It's just up to your will." Jiyeon said.

"And, moreover, medical treatments are so advanced now. Mr Park, did you go for any eye treatments after the incident? Like, try to cure back your eye, I'm pretty sure they can help you with that. It just takes time and patience. It's so advanced, it's a new world now." Jiyeon said.

"From what Chanyeol had said about your incident, your eye probably got damaged by those toxic gas particles coming out from the reactor. Maybe your rectina is broken and damaged by it, I know of a great optician in Seoul that can help you check your medical condition. From there on, he can help you cure your eyesight!" Jiyeon suggested.

"Jiyeon, if thats possible... I would really love to do it, but you see, our house is not really built of gold, and I am not even rich to begin with." Mr Park said, frowning.

 

"I can help. I am Chanyeol's friend, so don't be too polite with me. Treat me as a social helper in Seoul. I can help, money is not a problem." Jiyeon said.

"What? Jiyeon you need not go to that extent!" The father said, his jaws hanging open.

"Mr Park, do you want to get well? You sure want to right, just let me help you, you can repay me back later, when you get well. Maybe Chanyeol can also repay me back by tutoring me in Chemistry, I'm pretty weak at that." Jiyeon assured him.

"But I don't want to trouble you... It's very tiring for you, and I don't want someone to help me.." Mr Park stubbornly said.

"Are you sure you don't need help? You need moral support, from your son and your wife and me! Can you imagine yourself trying to go medical checkups, going to find jobs? You can also take a small easy job during this period until your eyesight gets well, so you can at least earn yourself a decent amount during this treatment period." Jiyeon comforted him.

"But.." Mr Park hesitated.

"No more buts, Mr Park~ I'll get you informed soon, give me your house number!" Jiyeon squealed in excitement.

A smile crept upon Mr Park's lips as he gave her the house number. 

"Gomawo, lets keep in touch and I will visit you soon!~" Jiyeon said as Chanyeol slowly came out with glass of water.

"Appa, you wanna watch tv? There's your favourite series on the tv." Chanyeol said, bringing his father to watch the tv series on the television before pulling Jiyeon out of the house, to the tiny backyard.

"Jiyeon-sshi, don't you think you're helping way too much for me and my dad?" Chanyeol said worriedly.

"There's no limits in helping others Chanyeol-sshi, anyway, I just want to help him, you can't stop me~" Jiyeon said, sticking his tongue out at her. 

"Okay, let me at least pay you back by treating you a meal okay? Hongdae?" He said.

"Okay!" Jiyeon replied back, beaming with smiles.

 

It was eight o'clock at night as Jiyeon and Chanyeol soon settled themselves in a Korean Meat Restaurant. Both of them sat in a desk, with a grill plate in the middle of the table as Chanyeol and Jiyeon ordered a plate of abundant meat. There were pork, beef and were grilled onto the grill plate, seasoned with pepper and several onions to go with it. 

"Wah, delicious!~" Jiyeon exclaimed, picking up some meat from the grill plate and munching them instantly, while munching it slowly to savour the heavenly taste of the soft, grilled meat.

"Here, have some more~" Chanyeol said, placing some meat onto her plate as Jiyeon smiled in reply. "Gomawoyo, I'll eat it well!" Jiyeon squealed in excitement, while munching hungrily on the meat and eating some of the rice.

"You and me can surely compete in a eating contest!" Chanyeol commented.

"Of course! We are kings and queens when it comes to food, but I'm just afraid of gaining weight that's all." Jiyeon said, still munching on her food.

"You won't gain weight, even if you do, you're still great as you're still yourself." Chanyeol denied.

"What if I become a fat like I weigh 200 pounds?" Jiyeon said.

"You're still great." Chanyeol said, giving blushes on Jiyeon cheeks as she cupped her face in embarrassment.

"You are such a flirt." Jiyeon hissed at him which Chanyeol stuck his tongue out playfully.

 

"OH MY GOD, that's so ing beautiful! This dress!" Jiyeon said, pointing to a dress in a display of the store. "Woah, but this store sells expensive stuff. It's probably worth billions, or maybe worth my lifetime. But that dress is really dazzling." Jiyeon said, letting off a sigh. 

Chanyeol gripped onto her hand as he asked, "Aren't you going in?" 

"Nah, it's so expensive anyway, I don't wanna give myself false hopes." Jiyeon said. "Expensive dress aren't worth my time." She added on but Chanyeol dragged her into the store.

"Yah! Why do you drag me in? It's gonna be expensive for sure." Jiyeon said, sulking.

"Who knows it might be just worth 20,000 won?" Chanyeol said.

"Won't be." Jiyeon said, as she read the price tag. "Oh . It's only 25,000 won." Jiyeon cursed under her breath as she went to take a look at the display sizes. "Woah, my size!" She squealed as she ran to the fitting room immediately.

Chanyeol smirked as he laughed upon sight.

Jiyeon soon came out of the fitting room with the dress on her hand. "Fits really well on me. Thank god it's still at a reasonably cheap price." Jiyeon commented, checking the dress as she went to pay for the dress.

When the cashier said the price, Jiyeon was rummaging through her wallet until Chanyeol handled a 50,000 won cash note to the cashier, which caught Jiyeon's attention. Jiyeon widened her eyes and glared at Chanyeol, who gave her an angelic smile in reply. 

Jiyeon bit her lips as she accepted the paper bag from the cashier and they both left the store. She bit her lips and poked Chanyeol's shoulders. "Gomawo, Chanyeol-sshi." She said shyly.

"Chanyeollie you mean?" He said, sternly.

"Oh yeah, Chanyeollie.. And you forgotten my name too!" Jiyeon said, raising her voice.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Yeollie." He said, smiling.

"Thank you anyway." She said.

"No problem, anyway I have to thank you for making my dad happy today, and you're gonna help him too. But if you face any financial difficulties, look for me okay? At least I still got some decent amount of money to help out to, if you ever become broke!" Chanyeol said, ruffling her hair playfully.

That gave her that weird sensation again.


I was tying non-stop for this.. lmfao

Anyway, hope you enjoy! Please COMMENT and SUBSCRIBE!