Leo (Vixx) - Proposals

Cait's Oneshots~ [Takes Requests!]

It was late when I finally got home that night, it was reaching midnight and I had only just come home from a long night at the studio. I was a fashion designer so it often included late hours of drafting, sourcing materials, organising and talking with the marketing team. Luckily my boyfriend also worked late nights as it was, he was the famous idol Leo of Vixx. It was likely that he would still be practicing when I got home; he was always very perseverant even if it reflected badly on his health.

I opened the door to the small apartment I shared with Taekwoon to see all the lights off. Still practicing of course, I wasn’t particularly surprised. I checked our home phone for any messages left behind, there was only one.

With a small beep, the voice of my mother chirped from out of the speakers, I knew what this would be about. “Hi dear! It’s me again, I’m just leaving this message to say that Mr Woo’s offer is still open. He has assured me that his son, Kevin, is very eager to meet you. So I do hope you consider his offer.”

I sighed and deleted the message with finality. It wasn’t uncommon for me to get similar messages; my mother was quite persistent to marry me off to a business partner’s son. To be frank, it was because she didn’t like Taekwoon, didn’t approve of his job. She thinks that a man who devotes his life to showing off to overactive, teenage girls was no man to trust in for a stable relationship, her own words and not mine of course. She never seemed to notice how he was the most polite, caring and devoted man I could ever ask for but my mother was difficult to sway.

I had made up my mind a long time ago, I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Leo, not some stranger I’d never met before. But the only way I’m going to be free from my mother constantly trying to play match-maker was to be married. She didn’t like Taekwoon, but she would have the respect to not try and match up a married woman.

The door opened and in stepped my boyfriend, in his favourite hoodie and track pants. He looked very tired so I rushed into the kitchen to get him something to drink.

“Hi love, how was your day?” I asked him, handing him the drink, which he took gratefully.

“Busy, but the usual. How about yours?” He responded, sipping at his drink.

“Frantic as per usual, we had issues with one of our suppliers and so there was all sorts of fuss trying to fix that.”

“You didn’t work too hard, did you?” He looked up at me, trying to read me in that way he does. Nothing ever gets past him, analytical as he was.

“I’m fine, you’re hardly one to talk. You’re hardly ever here, lately.” I sighed but quickly added, “Not that I’m complaining, I don’t blame you for it. It’s what you have to do for your work and I will always support you.”

He chuckled softly and pulled me into his arms, resting his head atop mine. “I’ve got such an understanding girlfriend. Thank you.”

“I can’t wait until we’re not just boyfriend and girlfriend anymore.” I whispered in reply and I felt his head lift from mine and step back.

“Inna… we’ve talked about this.”

“So you still haven’t changed your mind?” I sighed defeated, I’d been trying to convince him to propose for a while now. I didn’t tell him the reasoning, I thought it might upset him but I had no luck so far.

“Inna, I love you more than words can say but I’m still young, I have Vixx. Getting married, that requires a lot. I’d love to do it for you but it’d be bad for my career, you know that. I can’t disadvantage my members.”

“But Taekwoon-“

“Inna, you have been pushing this for days, what’s the rush? We have all the time in the world to take this slowly.”

I sighed and muttered under my breath, “But with things like this, she’ll never stop.”

Taekwoon looked me in the eyes, pressing me to continue. I didn’t think he had heard that and there was nothing left to do but to come out with the truth.

“My mother, she’s been trying to get me to accept an arranged marriage with one of her client’s sons. But I figured, if we got married, she might stop bugging me and could leave us in peace.”

His eyes darkened, a quiet anger growing in his dark orbs. I stepped back, fear brewing in my stomach, “So what do you say?” I quietly offered. That’s when he snapped.

“That’s the only reason? Just so you could get your mother off your back? Not because you want to spend the rest of your life with me, no, just so you could get rid of a nuisance. Is that all that would be for you?” He gritted, clenching his fists but keeping a flat, angry expression.

“No, that’s not what I meant-“

“Enough Inna, I can’t believe that’s all this was about. I was upset I couldn’t agree to this but now, knowing the reason… I’m seriously contemplating whether I would ever want to get married to you, let alone right now.” He seethed before taking a long breath. “If that’s all our relationship means to you, then maybe we shouldn’t even be together at all.”

I stepped back, eyes beginning to fill with tears. I glared up at him, but it was more hurt than anger. I turned around; grabbing my handbag I had put down on our kitchen countertop just minutes before. “I see. I’ll be at my mother’s. I’ve got a wedding to plan.”

“Hold on, Inna-“

“Bye, Leo.”

. . .

The drive to my mother’s house was a quick one, unfortunately for me, as I still had to try and compose myself after that argument. I couldn’t believe he had said that to me, not after everything we’d been through together. I was fighting to hold back more tears as I drove through the quiet suburban streets.

“If he doesn’t want us to be together, then that’s his problem now.” I thought aloud.

Besides, I hadn’t even given this Kevin a chance, maybe I would be happy with him. I’d be secure; I probably wouldn’t have to worry about anything again.

My contemplation was interrupted as I pulled in to my mother’s driveway. Stepping out of my car into the cold night air, I shivered and rushed to the door, knocking twice.

The door swung open to reveal my mother, already in her nightclothes and looking quite confused as to her having a visitor so late at night.

“Oh, Inna! I wasn’t expecting you here, why aren’t you at home with him?” She poured as much disdain as she could muster into the final word, she never did make it a secret to hide how much she disliked him.

“Never mind that, how soon can I meet Mr Woo’s son?” I replied.

“So you’ve decided to accept his offer? Oh, that’s my daughter; I just knew you’d come around. I’ll call him right away and we’ll arrange a meeting for tomorrow. Now come inside, come inside, it is much too cold for you to be waiting out there.”

I stepped inside, smiling at the home I had left behind a year ago when I moved in with my boyfriend. I mean, ex-boyfriend. I hadn’t visited often after I left, she was always a little bitter about me living with him and so I had planned to visit her once she finally accepted Taekwoon and I. Of course, that never happened.

There was one person I did regret losing contact with though. I stepped into the office to see my father at his desk, reading as he usually was.

“Hi Dad, I’m home.”

He looked up, peering through his glasses. A warm smile spread across his face and he rose from his chair to greet me. Wrapping me in a big hug, he rubbed my back with his head atop mine. “So what happened?” He chuckled.

He saw right through me, as he always did. “How could you tell?” I frowned.

“Simple; you’re here. It would have to be bad to bring you back here.”

I chuckled somewhat bitterly, “Yeah, we fought. I’m meeting Kevin Woo tomorrow, looks like I’m getting married soon.”

He looked up at me, shock flashing across his features before disappearing again. “I see. Well if that’s what you truly want, I won’t stop you. But just remember, one fight is causing a lifetime of commitment to a man you haven’t met. No matter what your mother says, as well-intentioned as she is, I just want you to be happy.”

I smiled at him, “I know Dad, I know. Thank you.”

After a while of catching up, my father eventually sent me up to bed, telling me that it was late and that I should be getting lots of rest. My sleep was restless that night; I had a lot on my mind.

. . .

The sun rose quickly the next morning, beating down soft waves of warmth onto my face. Sleepily, I arose and rolled out of bed. Remembering that I had to meet Kevin today, I sped around my room getting ready, having a quick shower before pulling on some nice clothes that I had left behind when I moved out. I hadn’t changed my mind; this was a good decision. Who needs Leo? Yet, that little nagging voice at the back of my mind wouldn’t stop chattering.

I walked down the stairs to see my mother waiting, looking at her watch constantly, clearly frazzled about this meeting. “Oh, good, good. Inna you’re ready. He should be here any moment now.” My father stood off to the side, quite happy with simply spectating.

As if on cue, there were two knocks on the door and mother gave me a quick once over before putting on her best smile and opening the door. “Mr Woo, good morning!”

“Hello, Mrs Kim. It’s good to see you.” As my mother widened the door, I got my first look at my husband-to-be. He was handsome, that’s for sure, with kind eyes and a soft smile. “This must be Inna, it’s nice to meet you.” He bowed politely and I copied the gesture with a smile and a nod.

“Hello to you too, Mr Woo.” I replied.

“Please, call me Kevin.” He was tall, seemingly near my age, which gave me some comfort. Maybe I could marry this man. “Are you ready to leave?”

I nodded and we said some quick goodbyes to my parents, my father catching my eye and gave me a supportive nod.

“I’m sorry this was organised on such late notice.” I began, nervously playing with my fingers, not meeting his eyes.

“Not at all, it’s a nice day for a walk and breakfast, don’t you think?”

He was right, the sun was wonderfully warm and the trees were green. The gentle chirping of birds echoed through the trees and the streets were surprisingly quiet. I agreed softly, admiring the flowers that littered the sides of the pathways on which we walked.

We eventually came to a small park, there was a small coffee shop nearby which sold little picnic baskets that you could take out to eat on the grass. His father had paid in advance, the basket waiting for us when we got there. Thanking the staff, we walked out and sat under the shade of a tree.

“So, I suppose I should tell you about myself.” He smiled brightly, helping me unpack the basket onto the blanket we were given. “Let’s see, I’m twenty-three, studying veterinary science and I like playing guitar. Sorry, I’m not very interesting.” He laughed and gestured for me to reply.

“No, not at all. Becoming a vet is an great profession, I love animals. Hm, I’m twenty-three, I’m a fashion designer and art is my favourite hobby.”

Interrupting our conversation, my phone lights up with a message. I quickly apologise to Kevin, telling him I’ll turn it off, but as I go to check the message I see my phone background. It’s a picture of Taekwoon and I, smiling, with his hand at my waist and my head leaning on his chest. Before I can turn it off, Kevin looks down and smiles. “You too?”

Somewhat taken aback, I tilt my head to the side in questioning.

“You have someone special to you too, I mean.”

I bite my lip, “Well, I did. I don’t know anymore.” Before I could realise what I was doing, I was explaining everything to this stranger I had just met. We started talking about our significant others, his girlfriend who he desperately wanted to marry but his father wouldn’t allow it, and me with Taekwoon who my mother didn’t approve of. We laughed in spite of ourselves, we were the same. Through talking to Kevin, I came to realise just how much I really loved Taekwoon.

We agreed to call off the marriage and tell our parents who we really loved. We exchanged numbers, becoming friends in the strangest of ways and raced home to our respective houses. But when I got there, someone I didn’t expect was there, waiting on my parents’ doorstop.

“Taekwoon? What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Inna, I’m so sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. I love you.” He apologised profusely and before I could register what was happening, he was down on one knee. “No matter what happens, whether it’s in secret or out in the open. Whether my company threatens to fire me or not, I want to spent the rest of my life with you, Kim Inna. Would you be my wife?”

Smiling so widely, it hurt, I slung my arms around him into a tight hug. “Of course I will, but Taekwoon, we can wait. I was being selfish, so of course I’ll marry you, but we’ll do it right. I know how much Vixx means to you.”

“You really are the best, Inna.” He gave me one of his rare smiles and kissed my forehead, “From now on, you are my wife. Whether we have that piece of paper that says so or not, but I promise you a beautiful wedding sometime soon okay? I won’t make you wait long.”

Suddenly, my mother walks outside; she had obviously seen the whole thing, judging by her expression.

“Mother, Kevin has someone he loves, just as I do. This is what I want.” I begin before she can start.

“I know, dear.” She gives a small smile before turning to Taekwoon. “I owe you an apology, I have clearly misjudged you. If your words are true and you really care about my daughter that much, I give you both my blessings.”

“As do I.” My father appears, grinning, leaning on the doorframe and he gives me a wink. “You are always welcome here, Taekwoon.”

Taekwoon wrapped an arm around my shoulder and nodded in thanks to both of them. I turned to look up at him and he looks down at me in return, “Let’s go home.”

He hums in agreement and we walk off to my car together. Everything at that moment felt right.

From then onwards, we knew that everything would work out okay in the end and we’d go on as we always had. Together.

. . .

A/N: You guys are probably used to my frequent disappearing acts by now but again, I'm sorry for my inconsistency with updates. I really do try my best. But anyway, I hope you guys like it, especially Inn_STARLIGHT, who is the lovely requester for this here oneshot. Thank you for requesting, I hope you enjoyed it! As always, criticise away, comment away and I'll take anything you say into account!

I hope you are all doing amazingly well, I'll try to write again soon!

~Cait