The Anti-Fans

Don't Touch My Corn!!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.”

-George Bernard Shaw-

 

 

  

 

15 | The Anti-Fans

 

This is a disease.

I couldn’t stop smiling.

Even when Appa is nagging me non-stop for my public display of affection with my boyfriend, I still couldn’t wipe off the silly smile on my face.

 

Boyfriend.

 

Do you hear that? I, Park Bom, have a boyfriend. Furthermore, he’s not just the ordinary guy—like a random guy selling burgers or a nerdy guy who can’t seem to get a date—he’s actually the most handsome and popular kingka in my school.

 

*Giggle*

 

“WHY ARE YOU GIGGLING TO YOURSELF?!! YOU’RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GIGGLE! I’M ACTUALLY VERY MAD AT YOU, PARK BOM!!” Appa’s voice which was booming through the living room made my heart jumped and I nearly had a heart attack.

 

I lifted up my eyes to meet his disapproving gaze and quickly halted my laughter. My father, no matter how good natured he can be, can still be a dangerous monster whenever he wants to. He’s a very dangerous man, indeed.

 

“Yes, Appa! I won’t laugh anymore,” I said.

 

“Tch tch!” Appa shook his head, “I don’t know what is happening with you, Bommie. You see how SeungHyun was quick to apologize and admit his mistakes, but you? You only know how to giggle like a clown!”

 

“Appa, clowns don’t actually giggle. They rarely even talk. That’s what makes them so creepy,” I pointed out.

 

“SHUT UP!” Appa yelled. Then, he went towards my mother’s portrait again to rat on me. “Look at her, HyeJin-ah. This is all my fault, yeobo. I didn’t teach her well. Luckily she has gotten a really nice boyfriend or else she will become even more rotten. Aigoo aigoo.”

 

I rolled my eyes. Now that my Appa has quickly jumped on the SeungHyun fan’s bandwagon, everything seems to my fault.

 

“I’m sorry, Appa. I won’t do it again,” I said dejectedly. I badly wanted this whole nagging process to end up quickly.

 

“I hate to do this but I have to punish you, Park Bom!” Appa said.

 

I blinked. “No! Don’t punish me. I won’t do it again, I promise!” I tried to plead.

 

Appa however remained unmoved by my plea. “It’s too late to bargain now, Bommie,” he said firmly, “You’re not allowed to kiss in public again, you got that?!”

 

“Appa! That’s so unfair!” I protested, “That’s what couples do. You and Umma have kissed in public too. Under the trees, in front of the mall, at the skiing park and so on. I have seen the pictures!”

 

Appa’s face blushed to a deep shade of red. “It’s different for us. We’re married,” he said.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Those pictures were when you two were still dating!” I pointed out.

 

“You’re never kissing in public again and that’s final! I don’t want the neighbours to think that I don’t know how to raise a teenage daughter.”

“But that is so unfair, Appa!”

“It’s final, Bommie.”

“But Appa. You’re so old fashioned!!”

“No buts! If you want to kiss your beloved boyfriend, don’t do it in public. Hide behind a tree or something.”

 

Ehh?

 

My eyes nearly popped out. It can’t be real now, can it? I must not have heard correctly, right? He didn’t just give his permission for us to kiss, did he?

 

“Now go to your room and study! Stop giggling to yourself. People might think that you’re crazy!” he bellowed.

 

I blinked. It took me a while for all of that to finally sink in my brain. Appa was actually serious.

 

I felt lightheaded when I walked towards the stairs. When I was about to walk up the stairs, I heard Appa clearing his throat. I turned to look at him.

 

“Now, don’t EVER tell me again that I’m an old-fashioned father,” he smiled.

 

I smiled back.

 

My Appa wasn’t too bad after all.

 

 

*******************************

 

“So you know what SeungHyun said after that?” I squealed into the phone.


I had called MinYoung as soon as I was in my bedroom to share the good news. I had already texted HyunJoong about me and SeungHyun being official and all he could text back was, “Congrats. Just remember that you owe me. BIG TIME.”

 

Pftt... He made it sound like he was the one who succeeded in bringing me and SeungHyun together, that delusional pretty boy. I can’t wait to meet him tomorrow and scratch his face with my fingernails. He was of absolutely no help at all. So I figured that sharing the happy news with MinYoung would bring better reaction from her compared to the reaction that I got from that strange pretty boy.

 

“He said he can’t make it more obvious, right?” MinYoung replied, her voice sounding bored.

 

I frowned. “How did you know??!!” I shrieked.

 

“YAH! You’ve been repeating the same thing for over half an hour now! How dare you ask me how did I know!” MinYoung yelled over the phone. I cringed when her loud voice reached my ears.

 

“Yah, I’m not deaf!” I yelled back.

 

“I’m not too, so you really don’t have to repeat the damn story for more than four times. I think I’ve already heard it well the first time!” she said.

 

“You’re just jealous!” I retorted. I think I know why MinYoung was acting the way she did; it was because she was jealous of me and SeungHyun being official. I mean, she used to be one of SeungHyun’s biggest fangirl—she didn’t even notice about Micky back then—but now that I’m the one who succeeds in capturing his heart, she must be feeling really jealous.

 

I heard MinYoung heaved a deep sigh. “Think whatever you want, Bommie,” she said, “But I think I’ve heard the whole story so can I just please do my own thing now?”

 

“Yeah, whatever,” I said. I was kinda bummed that she couldn’t be more excited for me. Well, she did shriek happily when I first told her just now but after the third time telling her about SeungHyun’s confession, she didn’t sound as excited anymore. Maybe she was PMS-ing.

 

“Just so you know, I’m still so very happy for you Bommie. It’s just that, I can’t listen to the same thing over and over again,” MinYoung said, sounding apologetic, “I’m sorry for ruining your happy mood. We’re always sisters, right?”

 

“Always,” I smiled.

 

I figured that maybe I was to blame for boring her by repeating the same thing. I had forgotten that MinYoung was someone who was easily bored. We said our goodbyes and hung up.

 

I stared at the cellphone in my hand and something dawned on me.

 

There was still one more person who I need to share the good news with.

 

 

************************

 

“Aww!! Why can’t I meet him?” I asked to the nurse, “I thought you said that he’s working tonight when I called you just now? What happened?”

 

The nurse suddenly looked uncomfortable, like she was guilty of something. “Uh, Miss Park, uh, Dr. Lee has something going on at the moment. He absolutely can’t meet you tonight. Maybe you can try again tomorrow?” she said, looking hopeful that I would just leave the clinic.

 

“I don’t want to meet him tomorrow. I want to meet him today!” I said, “There’s something that I need to tell him. This is a matter of life and death. You must tell him that.”

 

The nurse exchanged a weird look with the other plump nurse who was sitting beside her. “Err, I’m sorry that I can’t help you, Miss Park. Last time you said that you have a matter of life death and I had let you in and after you’ve left, Dr. Lee was so angry at me. So I’m sorry, I can’t help you again.”

 

“Don’t worry,” I said, “I’ll make sure that he won’t scold you. I’m his patient so he must listen to me. So where is Dr. Lee now? Is he in his room?” I pointed towards the room across the registration’s area.

 

“No, he’s not here!” the nurse hastily replied, “I mean—uh—he’s gone home. His child is sick.” The nurses then exchanged meaningful looks with each other again.

 

“His child is sick? Poor thing!” I said sympathetically, “I hope he or she gets—”

 

Before I could finish my sentence, I heard the sound of Dr. Lee’s door being opened from inside and an old lady later emerged from the room. “Thank you, Dr. Lee,” the old lady said.

 

“You’re welcome,” I heard Dr. Lee’s familiar voice from inside before the old lady closed the door.

 

I turned to glare at the nurses. They suddenly looked like they wanted to run out from there. “Liar liar, pants on fire!” I said, giving them a look before dashing towards his room.

 

The nurses blinked at me. “Wait Miss Park, you’re not supposed to be—”

 

I decided to ignore them. I the doorknob, went inside the room and closed the door behind me. “Hello, Dr. Lee!” I chirped cheerfully, a wide smile on my face, “I’ve a good news to tell you.”

 

Dr. Lee’s eyes looked like they were about to pop out, like he couldn’t believe that I was actually sitting there in front of him. “M-m-miss Park? Y-y-you’re h-he-here?” he stuttered. He must be too happy to see me.

 

I took the patient seat opposite his table and smiled at him. Dr. Lee was still looking at me in disbelief. “How are you, Dr. Lee?” I asked, trying to make a small talk before telling him the good news.

 

Dr. Lee blinked for a few times. “H-how did you get in here? Did my nurse let you in?” he asked in haste.

 

“No!” I said, “If I had believed them, I wouldn’t even be here,” I leaned closer to gossip, “If I were you, Dr. Lee, I’d fire the two of them. They tried to convince me that you’re not working tonight.”

 

Dr. Lee blinked. Maybe he was thinking about firing his nurses at that moment. Finally, after some time, he heaved a deep sigh and looked at me. “So how can I help you today, Miss Park? I’m afraid to ask this but, uh, are you sick anywhere?”

 

I flashed him my widest grin—the grinning Bobcat’s grin—and said excitedly, “I’m not sick, Dr. Lee. I’m fine. I just have a boyfriend!”

 

Dr. Lee blinked again as if not knowing what to say. He just stared at me in disbelief with his mouth gaped open. “So, uh, congratulations?” he said, sounding unsure, “Who’s the unluc—uh—I mean, who’s the lucky guy? Does he—uh—does he know that he’s in a relationship with you?”

 

I laughed. “What kind of question is that, Dr. Lee? Of course he knows, d’oh!” I chirped happily, “It’s not a relationship if he doesn’t know. Oh, let me tell you about him.”

 

Thus, I spent about 20 minutes or so, telling—more like bragging—Dr. Lee about SeungHyun. All the while that I was telling him my love story, he kept sighing as though he too thought that it was really sweet.

 

“That’s how we finally become a couple,” I concluded happily.

 

Dr. Lee blinked. “Is that it? That’s the end of the story?” he asked, sounding hopeful.

 

I nodded. “That’s it,” I said, “unless you’re interested to listen about my new guy friend. He’s kinda weir—”

 

“NO!” Dr. Lee yelped and continued to clear his throat when he noticed me staring, “I mean, not now, Miss Park.”

 

“Yes, I can tell you the next time I come here,” I said happily.

 

Dr. Lee blinked rapidly and breathed deeply. “Miss Park, I’m sorry to do this to you again but I really hope that the next time you come here is because you’re really sick.”

 

“Huh? What do yo—”

 

Before I could even react, Dr. Lee did it to me again—he chased me out of the clinic.

 

************************

 

I had a really great sleep. When I woke up the next day, I woke up entirely contented. You know, like in the mattress commercial, where the actress will wake up with a big smile plastered on her face. She will then do a light stretch, goes to the kitchen to be greeted by her ever obedient and cutest dog on earth, and then resumes to drink her glass of hot milk that has just miraculously appeared on the counter before staring at the camera and said, “With a good mattress, I always wake up with a smile on my face.”

 

Well, if I was to do any CF, I would say this instead, “With a handsome boyfriend, I always wake up with a smile on my face.”

 

Ooh, Park Bom has a boyfriend.

 

*Giggle*Giggle*

 

I was humming happily and giggling to myself when I took the shower. When I drank my hot chocolate and gulped down the corn bread, I was still giggling. When I was putting on my school shoes, I was still giggling. Even when Appa glanced disapprovingly at me for giggling too much, I was still giggling. Heck, even when riding the pink bike to school, I was giggling non-stop that some strangers were looking at me strangely, like I was an escapee from a mental asylum. Not that I care; not at all.

 

Who cares if people think that I am crazy?

I have a handsome—I mean, sizzling H.O.T—boyfriend, so hah!

 

*Giggle*Giggle*

 

When I was pedalling through the front gate of the school, I saw that some crowd were gathering in front of the main notice board. It looked like the students—mainly girls—were involved in a heated argument. They looked like they were pissed at something. There must be some big news on the notice board but I decided to park my bicycle first before indulging myself with the big news.

 

When I locked my bicycle, I couldn’t help but notice that some students were staring at me. When I looked up, true enough, three pairs of eyes were staring at me but when they saw me looking their way, they hurriedly scattered away and whispered among themselves. One of them even turned her head to briefly give me a nasty look before disappearing among the other students.

 

I frowned.

 

What have I done this time? I wondered.

 

The only thing that I did yesterday was go on a fake date with a strange pretty boy and snatched a hot kingka boyfriend on the way home. I definitely didn’t do anything strange or bad yesterday, did I?

 

Just as I was leaving the bicycle parking area, my cellphone rang and I quickly picked it up.

It was MinYoung.

 

“Where are you?!” she shrieked frantically through the phone.

 

I glanced down at my watch and saw that I was still 10 minutes early. I wasn’t late so I had no idea why she was in a frenzy. “At the bicycle parking,” I said, “Why?”

 

“You’re at school?!” she shrieked again and I winced at the loud volume of her voice that was entering my ear and probably had hurt my eardrums, paving the way for young deafness for me.

 

“Yah, no need to shout!” I said loudly, briefly massaging my earlobes, “Why do you sound so frantic? What happened?”

 

MinYoung gasped loudly over the phone. “You mean you don’t know?” she asked, her voice oozing with disbelief, “They’re going to kill you, that’s what happened.”

 

I frowned. Did I unintentionally hurt someone’s feelings or something? “They?” I inquired.

 

“Oppa’s fangirls. They have found out about you guys being official. Apparently someone had snapped a picture of you guys kissing in front of Freezing Cool and posted it all over the main notice board. Oppa’s fangirls weren’t amused. Last I heard, they were planning to lock you in the toilet before pouring down some acid on you,” MinYoung said hurriedly.

 

No wonder she was in a frenzy. This is a serious matter. I completely had forgotten that SeungHyun had a horde of girls after him in school and some were, well, insane. I heard rumors that one girl even wrote a love letter to him using her own blood that she got by slitting her wrist. Then there’s this other girl who threatened to commit suicide when SeungHyun declared that ChaeRin was his girlfriend back at the charity event a few weeks ago.

 

Wow, his fangirls are crazy and I am about to become their latest victim—I’d probably be dead by noon.

 

I shuddered at the thought.

 

“Omo, MinYoung-ah. What should I do?”

“Call HyunJoong. Ask him what you should do.”

“Why him? Why not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter