❣ 1 ❣

Let's Promise

 

❣ 1 ❣

Image

October 13th, 2012

            You would think that at the young age of six, kids wouldn’t know how to bully or exclude others. You would think that they were so innocent and loved everyone. That they would never harm anyone or anything on purpose.

            Too bad generations have changed for the worse, and now, bullying is as familiar to first graders as their favorite crayon color.

            For small Jung Mikyung, it started with a simple statement.

            “Don’t play with us anymore. Go play with the pre-schoolers. You’re not big enough to play these games.”

            Yes, Mikyung was smaller than the average six year old. It wasn’t her fault that she grew slower. It wasn’t her fault that she was born premature. But she was suffering from it.

            “But I’m older than you.”

            “You’re smaller. Go play somewhere else.”

            And so, with tears on the verge of falling, Mikyung ran and hid in the small tunnel under the playground set. She had no idea why her friends decided to suddenly hate her. She didn’t know why they treated her like that. She was scared.

 

October 14th, 2012

            The next day, like most kids, Mikyung forgot about the unfortunate events of the day before. She went to her first grade class as always. She set her small backpack next to her desk. She smiled, thinking that yesterday was a dream. She sat down.

            Her mother scolded her for ruining her skirt. Mikyung never mentioned that it wasn’t her fault. She never said how the glue was already all over her chair, clear and invisible. She never told her mother how a small group of girls giggled loudly after her small breakdown in class.

            Yesterday wasn’t a dream. It was the start of a nightmare brought to life.

           

March 5th, 2013

            As a little girl, Mikyung didn’t know how to deal with these girls. She didn’t know this was called bullying. She just knew that she wasn’t being treated fairly. But she also knew that if she tattled, she would only be treated worse. So the little first grader kept it inside of her tiny heart. She would hide and cry for a few minutes before wiping away the tears and going to play by herself in the corner of the classroom, her favorite doll clutched between her thin arms.

            Months and months went by since the first incident. The girls no longer played pranks like that, for it was too much of an effort for six-year-old girls to think of new jokes. So they directly spoke to Mikyung.

            “You’re ugly.”

            “Your ears are big.”

            “Your doll is prettier than you.”

            “You look like a baby.”

            Everyday, the same comments were made. Everyday, the same snickers could be heard. But everyday, it hurt all the same to the small girl.

            With time, her cheerful smile of before became a sad frown. Her outgoing personality shrunk to a withdrawn persona. Her open shoulders became concave. And her strong grip on her doll turned into a drag.

 

March 22nd, 2013

            The second graders had to combine their break time with the first graders since they were having a short day.

            Like always, Mikyung hid away in the classroom, scared of the bullies. Scared of older kids bullying her, also.

            Her tiny fingers held a small brush that she used to run through her doll’s hair. Her small face held no smile, no frown. It held a look far too mature for a six-year-old.

            The door to the classroom opened, and she dropped the comb in surprise, immediately pressing herself into the corner.

            “Hello?”

            A small boy stepped into the big classroom. Like Mikyung, he had a hesitant air to his step. His face was molded into the same lack of emotion. But unlike Mikyung, little blue spots could be seen on his legs.

            The boy, not seeing Mikyung, closed the door and sat down in a chair, blankly staring at the black board in front of him.

            Mikyung held her breath, hands trembling. She didn’t see the similarity between her and the boy. So, she was scared. She didn’t want to be bullied. She just wanted to play alone.

            Her small shoe squeaked against the floor, and the boy turned his head in surprise. She gasped and froze.

            The boy stood up and walked slowly over to the girl. His steps were hesitant as always, and his head wasn’t held high like the other kids. And like her, his shoulders were slightly concave.

            “Who are you?” he asked, about two feet away from her.

            Still scared, Mikyung couldn’t utter a word. A squeak left and she hid her face in embarrassment.

            She heard a small laugh and looked up. The boy was laughing quietly. A small, rare smile graced his features.

            “Are you scared of me?”

            Nod.

            “Really?” the boy whispered. “Nobody’s scared of me.” He walked closer to Mikyung and sat down in front of her. “Are you in the pre-school?”

            Mikyung scooted further back, though it was nearly impossible. She was scared he would . She shook her head.

            The boy furrowed his eyebrows. “Kindergarten?”

            Shake.

            He hesitated before asking, “First grade?”

            Nod.

            The boy smiled. “I’m in second grade.”

            No reaction.

            He stuck his hand out hesitantly, and Mikyung flinched.

            He frowned. “I’m not going to hurt you… I’m Joonmyun. Kim Joonmyun.”

            No reaction.

            “What’s your name?”

            No reply.

            “I want to be your friend,” he said quietly, afraid she might reject him like all of the others in his class. His hand was still held out, but he wondered if he should just pull back.

            Slowly, Mikyung stuttered out a few words. “W-What happened t-to your legs?”

            Joonmyun frowned and subconsciously folded his legs under himself to hide the bruises.

            “Do t-they make fun of y-you, too?” she asked quietly.

            He nodded.

            “S-sorry.”

            “It’s okay…”

            “I-I’m… J-Jung Mikyung.”

            Joonmyun smiled. “Let’s be friends.”

            Mikyung paused for a moment before nodding slowly.

            The two of them talked for the rest of break, but Joonmyun did most of the talking. Neither talked of their bullying. They only talked about their favorite things, like toys, games, colors, etc.

            Over the course of that short half hour, innocence entered them for just a bit, allowing them to act and look like normal children.

            Emotionless faces melted into small smiles and quiet giggles. Hesitant gestures and concave shoulders turned into slightly more comfortable movements and convex shoulders.

            At the end of their break, though they left knowing the bullying would continue, they also left knowing that they had at least met one person who wouldn’t hurt them.

 

Image

 author's notes: Hey everyone! This is the start of my new fic :) How'd you guys like it ^.^? Hope you guys liked the first chapter :D Please comment if you liked my chapter, and subcsribe or upvote if you want :3 Love you all~ Thanks for reading!
~DespisedSecret