o12

Don't Forget Me

word count : 3611


 

(Flashback, continuation of Chapter 3)

 

She entered the classroom with that tingling feeling all over her body. She kept trying to restrain her smile but as soon as she remembered the life-size teddy bear that she left at the infirmary.

She took her seat and his eyes spotted a pink envelope on her drawer. She took the envelope and turned out that it was a picture of a specific guy smiling as he held out a bouquet of pink rose. She couldn’t help but smile at the picture.

She flipped the picture and found a hand-writing.

Yes, keep smiling like that.

She flushed at the first sentence.

By the way, wait for me at the school’s gate after-school, okay?

BYG

She put the picture  back to the envelope. But even when she couldn’t see the picture anymore, her cheeks still show light shades of pink. Such a rare moment for a Cho Jiae.

***

She leaned on the school’s gate, waiting for the said guy to appear.

“Aish, jinjja…” She took a glance at her watch.

“If he doesn’t appear in five minutes, I’ll leave.” She played with her feet, actually bored with waiting since waiting isn’t really her forte.

Five minutes passed and she took another glance at her watch.

“That’s it. I’ll leave now. Damn you, Bang Yongguk.” She just began to take her steps away from the school’s gate when a voice roared.

“Check one, two. Check, check. Oh, okay!”

Jiae rolled her eyes at the loud sound. Who could be so stupid to play around with megaphone? A retard?

She resumed her walk.

“Yah, Cho Jiae! Stay where you are!” Her ears perked up when she hears her name.

“Turn your back!” She groggily stopped her steps, wondering who her caller is, ignoring other student’s stares.

“Hurry up, Princess!”

‘Gosh, it’s Bang Yongguk.’ She really wanted to run that exact moment.

“Oh, come on. Don’t keep me waiting.” She then turned her body and there was Bang Yongguk, standing far in front of her.

“So, Cho Jiae! Nod as a yes and shook your head as a no. You got it?” He blared from his megaphone. Jiae nodded once.

“Could I begin it now?” She nodded once again. She wanted everything to end as soon as possible.

“So, Cho Jiae, I like you so much.” Right at that moment, the girl know that her cheek is as red as tomatoes.

“You’re the fiercest girl with the dirtiest mouth I’ve ever met.” She flushed even deeper, from anger this time.

‘What’s with the insults?’

“But you’re also the prettiest, most charming girl I’ve ever met and you know what?” He stopped as he smiled at her warmly.

“You make me fall for you. Hard to believe, yes. But trust me, Girl, I’m totally smitten.”

Jiae’s left speechless.

“Cho Jiae, I like you! Would you go out with me? Please?” He asked with his megaphone as as soon as he let out the question, he put the megaphone away and smiled at her, waiting for an answer.

That exact moment, Jiae couldn’t think straight.

‘Is he for real?’ ‘Do I hear it right? He likes me?’ ‘No one ever likes me before. How could he likes me?’ ‘He lies, Jiae. He lies.’

She frowned at her own thought.

‘Jiae, he really does like you. Remember all those sticky-notes? Chocolates and roses? your teddy bear? He cares. He likes you for real.’ ‘Jiae, don’t waste this chance. You said you want to feel how it is being loved.’

She shook her head to clear her mind up.

“You said no?” Yongguk asked with his megaphone.

“NO! I mean, YES! I mean…” Jiae panicked while Yongguk’s looked at her in a knowing way.

“Let me ask you once again. Jiae, would you go out with me?” She flushed, puts up her hands to cover her red-tinted face.

Yongguk put away his megaphone as he ran towards her, embracing her.

“Gomawo, Jiae.” Jiae just nodded shyly.

Suddenly the older guy lifted the girl up in a bridal style. [here]

“Yah! What are you doing?! Let me down!” She hit the guy’s chest, only making the guy laughed.

“Hey! We’re on boyfriend-girlfriend relationship starts now and you better get used to this, Princess.” That red-tint came back to her face as she tried to cover her face.

“People! We’re going out!” He shouted with all his might while Jiae just sunk deeper into the embrace.

 

(End of Flashback)

 

“If I could go back in time, I would still say yes all over again.” I smiled at the memories.

Yes, I still held those memories dear. Yes, they would never be forgotten for me.

“So, Sungyeol-ssi, how about you treat me lunch since you only brought sweet things with you?”

Lee Sungyeol smiled back at me as he nods.

“Sure thing. Lead the way, Jiae.”

I opened the door and start walking downstairs.

“Hey, don’t you feel scared walking alone at this stair? It’s pretty dark, you know?” I chuckled.

“Silly. What is there to be scared of?”

“Ghost?” I rolled my eyes.

“You know what’s scarier than ghost?” I could feel his nod.

“Human. You’ll never know what they are thinking, what they intend to do and how they real heart is.” He kept quiet.

I open another door and we’re back to the real life. I always see the rooftop and infirmary as my haven and this whole building called school is a real world. Real world where you go through pain.

“Cafeteria?” I asked him.

“Sure! Is there any Japanese food here?” “I’m not sure. I don’t usually eat here.” He threw me a look.

“Soojung always cooks for me.” He only nodded.

Just when I entered the cafeteria, this specific guy decided to walk out from there, making me bump my shoulder with him.

“Oh, look! Cho Jiae’s here. What are you doing in the cafeteria, you piece of ?”

“That’s a very bad language, Young Man.” Suddenly, Sungyeol’s standing beside me, staring at Yongguk. Well, he and his for language. I couldn’t help my chuckles.

“Funny, huh?” I put my poker face right away.

He smirked and shifted his glare at Sungyeol.

“Your new sugar-daddy, uh? What a , Jiae. Doing it for money?” He said as he leaned closer to me. I threw him a glare, telling him to back off.

“He looks like a good guy. How did you lure him? Opening your legs out for him?” I clenched my fists.

“Shut up..” I held his collar.

“Shut the up, Bang.” He smirked.

“What could you do, Jiae? Tattletale and have me beaten?”

“No.” I released his collar. “I’ll beat the out of you by myself.” I punched his stomach.

“Jiae!” Sungyeol held my arms, restraining me to land another hit at the damn guy.

“Let go!” I struggled but he didn’t bulge.

“I said let go, Lee Sungyeol!” His hold get even tighter. “No, Jiae. I’m not letting you do anything stupid.”

“Yeah, stupid you, Cho Jiae.” I growled as Yongguk get up and dusted his clothes off.

“Gukkie-oppa! Are you alright?” A girl clung on his hand. What irked me is how the girl practically glued herself on Yongguk and the face she’s giving me.

“Are you dealing with this again?” She made a face that made me want to beat the girl to a pulp.

“Hyosungie, don’t dirty your pretty mouth because of that .” I growled at him.

“So, your name is Lee Sungyeol?”

“Yes.” Yongguk throw a glance at me before he says, “better be careful with this one, Dude. She’s a .”

“What the heck, Yongguk?!” I finally broke free from Sungyeol’s hold. I pointed at Hyosung- his current girlfriend that he loved so much.

“That girl IS the . Stop calling me and stop messing with me, Bang! Couldn’t you just leave me ing alone?!” I looked at him.

“I have nothing left to do with you, Bang Yongguk. You want ? ?” I pointed at Hyosung once again.

“That, is your . She spent your money on another guy, kissing every guy around. She is your . I don’t have anything to do with you anymore. Just don’t mess with me anymore, Bang Yongguk.”

To be honest? I’m tired.

I’m tired having to fight everyday. Beat people up with no exact reason, being beaten up because I beat someone up before. Having to get all of the insults every single day. Why can’t they leave me ING ALONE?

I want to leave. Literally leave. Maybe to where Byunghee-oppa is. He, at least, from all of the people would take me, right?

I could feel someone smacking my cheek.

“Don’t insult my girlfriend, . Go to your house and go see yourself. A like you doesn’t even worth a penny.” With that, he walked away with Hyosung.

After a while, I finally felt the stinging pain on my cheek.

“Hey.” Sungyeol appeared in front of me.

“Are you okay?” He leans closer, wanting to look at my cheek, I know. I turn my head away.

“Don’t.” I could feel his questioning look.

“Don’t get close to me anymore. I don’t need anyone. Stop messing with my way.” I took a step backward.

“Jiae, I know what he said ain’t true.” He takes a step forward while I took a step backward.

“Just go away, Lee Sungyeol. You have nothing to do with me either. Just leave.” He looked down as if he’s thinking hard.

“Would you do anything to make me leave?” I nodded slowly.

“Do you want to make a deal?”

***

*Sungyeol’s POV*

“Just go away, Lee Sungyeol. You have nothing to do with me either. Just leave.”

She… seemed miserable.

She wasn’t like this before. She wasn’t the Jiae I know.

Well, yeah. I haven’t known her for the longest time. But I’ve seen enough to know that Cho Jiae is a strong girl. What possibly weakened her to this point? That guy from earlier?

Or is it something else?

GOD! The vertigo symptoms! Don’t tell me it got worsened!

I need to know more before I could diagnose. She needs to get a full-checkup. Would she do that? She wouldn’t do that, would she?

“Just go away, Lee Sungyeol. You have nothing to do with me either. Just leave.”

Oh. She would do that.

“Do you want to make a deal?” She looked taken aback.

“Spill it.”

Thank God she bought it.

“Do the check up.” Discontentment showed on her face. I cut her up as soon as she opened .

“If you are alright, I’ll stop bothering you.” She looked more relaxed.

“BUT… If you are NOT okay, you have to accept treatments from me, no disagreement, no fighting, and no making scenes.” I finished that in one breath.

“Jiae, if you are sure that you are OKAY, you’ll accept the deal since there’s nothing to be scared of, right? If it really just a headache, I’ll just prescribe you medications and require you to have some appointment with me once in three months. Outside the hospital if you’d like it.”

She’s frowning her forehead.

“Why?”

“Eh?” I was taken aback with her question.

“Why do you care? I am not your responsibility. You don’t need to do all of this . If this is about you accidentally hit me, I forgave you already.” She looked right on my eyes, searching for a thing I don’t know.

I smiled as I ruffle her hair.

“Maybe it’s just me who’s giving too much… ?” She chuckled at my choice of word. Well, yeah. Since I the one who told her to mind her language.

“Just say that I’m the one sent for you to take care of your health. You wouldn’t listen to Soojung, right?” She shook her head.

“Yeah, she’s just not as rock-headed as I am.” I didn’t even know why do I sound so proud with the fact that I am a rock-headed guy.

“You really don’t have to be proud of that, Sungyeol-ssi. By the way, you need to keep your word.” She smirked.

Wait. Does she just imply that she agreed with the deal?

And why the heck does she smirk like that?”

“Do you really need to smirk? What’s so hard about a smile?” I whined while she chuckled.

“Happy to disappoint you but gangsters don’t smile. They smirk. And before you ask, no matter what, a gangster is a gangster.” I just laughed it off.

“Now let’s go get our lunch and your side of story about the scary guy earlier. I am curious.”

“Curiosity kills the cat.”

“Too bad I’m not a cat.” I grinned and I know I won the argument.

“What do you want to eat, Girl?”

“I don’t know. Bibimbap? Or japchae. I don’t know, I’ll just go with you.”

“I like cold noodle to be honest. But should we eat samgyupsal instead? Since I’m celebrating you taking my deal?”

“Sure. But to remind you, you , there’s no samgyupsal here in a cafeteria.” I automatically laughed.

“Let’s hit samgyupsal after school-hour then. Soojung should go with us too.” She snorted.

“She’ll be ecstatic when she finds out I’m taking your deal. Your treat anyway.” I nodded as I took some cash.

“Hey, buy us four sandwiches. I’m famished, seriously.” She rolled her eyes and took the cash from my hand.

“Give us four sandwiches, please. Two hams and two eggs.” She gave the money to the cashier and soon, she’s back with a paper bag containing our lunch.

“Take two and go to your class, Young Girl.” She threw her glare at me. “I’m not going.”

“Do I want to know the reason? Or is it just typical school-girl excuse?” I asked, giggling on the second question.

“Just so you know, Sungyeol-ssi, we’re not exactly in a good term where you could tease me around.” I find myself giggling at her ‘threat’. It’s not as scary as when I am clueless about her.

“Aite, Missy. Let’s go to the rooftop and you can start telling me about you and the guy.” I wink at her and she shrug as if I’m the nastiest thing. Well, the wink is nasty, though.

***

“Just ask questions, Sungyeol-ssi. I’ll just answer.” She rested her back on the abandoned bench, still looking at me.

“Then, who’s the guy?”

“An ex.” She had this sad glint in her eyes. Must not be something good.

“For how long?”

“Three months.”

“Who’s confessing?” She straightened her back before she answered.

“Him.”

“He loved you?” The idea of the scary guy named Bang Yongguk confessing to Jiae is simply… hard to understand. If he really did love her, why does he have a heart to actually insulting her to that extent?

“No.” A sad smile formed on her face.

“Then why did he go out with you?”

“Bet.”

Damn, man! What kind of man that could actually make a girl as a bet? Oh right, lowest kind.

“You didn’t do anything with him, did you?” She chuckled.

“Some kissing. No more than that.”

“He hurt you a lot, right, Ji?”

“Yeah.”

“From one to ten?”

“Hundred. It still hurts.” She closed her eyes. “Don’t dare telling anyone this. I’m supposed to get over him.” I moved closer to her, sit right by her side.

“I won’t, trust me.” I bumped my shoulder with hers.

“The bad thing is no matter how it hurts me, I still can’t tell my heart to let him go.” I patted her head.

“Hey, he’s a total jerk. You’ll manage to find someone better, Ji.”

“Don’t tell me that, Old-man. Tell my heart.” I chuckled.

“And what’s with this ‘Ji’ thing? My name is Jiae. Ji-ae. Please say my name correctly as I’m born with it and a name is a virtue.”

“Sure, Lady.”

“My name is Jiae. Not Lady, Young Girl, Missy, Princess or anything. Jiae.” I laughed.

“Okay, okay! I got it. Let’s go to Soojung place. School’s over, right? We’ll have a samgyupsaaall!!” I cheered.

“Tch. What’s so great about samgyupsal?”

“Just enjoy the food later, won’t you?” She rolled her eyes as she walked.

***

“Cheers!” I said as I hold my glass up, drink my shot of soju.

“Cheers!” Soojung and Dongwoo gulped their share as well.

“Cheers.” Jiae raised her bottle of soda water and drink.

“Yah, Jiae, just take the soju. It’s my treat anyway.” I expected her to take the soju immediately but contrary to that, she just shook her head.

“I’m considered underage. Beside, at least one of us has to be a sober, right? Just enjoy your drink.” She said as she drank her soda-water.

“Don’t worry, you have my supervision.” I grinned as I pour some soju to a small glass.

“Drink up, Jiae.” She looked hesistant.

“My alcohol tolerance is very low.”

“I’ll bring you home.” “But…”

“No buts, Jiae.” She sighed as she finally finished the glass in one shot.

“Whoaa!” I chuckled as Dongwoo and Soojung cheered for her.

“Now let’s eat the samgyupsal!” I took my chopsticks, taking few meats to my small plate and then Jiae’s plate.

“Don’t eat too much, Oldies. It’s Jiae’s celebration anyway.” I remarked playfully as they laugh.

“It’s our celebration too, Genius. She’s like a little sister. Thanks for persuading her.”

“No problem.”

The samgyupsal’s gone in half an hour. I don’t know if it is the samgyupsal is that good, they are as happy as I am that Jiae accepting the deal or they simply famished.

“Sungyeol, Dongwoo-oppa and I have to go now. Is it okay?” I nodded.

“It’s okay. I’ll take Jiae home after she finishes her drink.”

“Thanks. We’ll get going first, then.” I smiled as I waved my hand.

“Bye.” I then shifted my gaze at Jiae who’s pouring soju to her nth glass. Her face’s reddened.

Okay, she’s drunk. Time to bring her home.

“Okay. It’s enough, Jiae. I’ll take you home. Come on.”

“Why does they hate me? What do I do wrong?” She whispered.

I frowned. What’s she talking about? Hate? Who hates her?

“It’s not me who wanted to be born. It’s not me.” She took another glass.

“Who hates you, Ji?”

“Jinsil, Sunam, Eunmi.” Who are they?

“Can you believe it? My birth-mother hates me because I am alive. She hates me. She loathes me.” Tears were rolling down on her cheeks.

“What do I do wrong? Is it my choice to be born? If I could choose, I’d choose to die before she could hate me.”

“Jiae…”

“All I do is living. Am I wrong? Tell me where I messed up. I’m just another child who needs love. Okay, love is too much. It’s enough if she doesn’t hate me. Stop cursing me. Stop telling me hurtful things. I’m still human.” She’s a crying-mess now. I her hair.

“Why doesn’t she kill me instead? Am I that low that it’s disgusting to even finish me off?”

“Jiae, don’t say things like that. There’s people who loves you too.” She looked at me right on my eyes. Disappointment, sadness, hurt. Those were things that I saw on her eyes.

“They are gone. They only stay for a moment. Grandfather, Byunghee-oppa… They left in the end. They promised they would protect me but they are gone!”

Byunghee? Who is that?

“Even Yongguk. He said he loved me. He said that he would be there when I need him. He would be by my side when there’s no one standing there. He lied! Everyone lied!” She then attempted to walk but failed miserably, falling to the ground, holding her knees and sobbed.

“I don’t want to live anymore. I don’t want to feel this pain anymore. Take these away!” She hit her chest.

“If I have to die to get rid if it, let me die, please. Please…” I really don’t know what to say or even what to do.

She had gone through a lot for a high-school girl.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry to be born. I’m sorry I yearned for love. I’m sorry…” She sobbed, holding her knees even tighter. I hugged her figure while her hair.

“I am here, Jiae. I am here.” Her sobs got even louder.

“You’re not wrong, Ji. It’s okay. It’s okay.” She cried on my chest.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

“Ssh… It’s okay.” Not so long after, she fell asleep, tired from all the crying.

Well, alcohol does make you say what you hide deep inside. Jiae’s hiding too many things. Too many hurtful things.

I brushed her bangs away from her forehead as I unconsciously smiled at her peaceful figure.

I took out my wallet, taking some bills and gave it to ahjumma who watched the scene.

“Is she going to be okay? She looks very tired.” I smiled at her.

“She is, Ahjumma. She went through a lot.” I carried her bridal style while the ahjumma helped me with her backpack. She helped me to open the passenger door and I laid Jiae there. I didn’t have a heart waking her up.

“Thank you, Ahjumma.”

“Don’t mention it. She’s a pretty girl. You are lucky to have her.”

Okay, that statement had me taken aback. She thought I’m going out with Jiae?

Well, I’ll just let it slide.

Fifteen minutes passed and now my car’s parked in front of Cho’s resident.

Here comes the hard part. I wondered how Jiae’s family gonna take it. Her mother especially.

 


;----; sorry for the very late update...

i'm having my months of exams since it's final year as i said before, so please excuse me.. ><

and i know this is not that much but enjoy~ :D

 

XOXO

nath89