Nine

Hospital Room 114

The transparent door automatically opened as he stepped on the white marble floor. The scent of antibiotics and different kinds of medicine greeted him as his nose cringed at the distant smell. He quickly entered the elevator as he punched for the 5th floor of the building.

“Wait up!”

His eyes directed to a female nurse who was running towards the lift. He instantly held the elevator door from closing as the latter female came in with a pant. The nurse suddenly recognized him as she gave him a bow. “Oh! Thanks, Mr. Kim.” He immediately as he noticed the familiar nurse who just entered.

The elevator started to move as he tapped his foot for impatiently, not wanting to be confined for a long time. His eyes wandered off around the gray metal walls as it precipitously landed on a pink paper bag that the nurse was holding. He slightly tapped her shoulder as she turned around.

“Is it your birthday today?”

She looked as him curiously as her brows creased. “W-why..” He timidly fixed his eyes towards the bag. “Oh!” She snapped, knowing what he meant. “It’s a present for Sojin.” She reacted as he raised an eyebrow due to his confusion of what she was talking about. “Present? What for?” He grew more curious of why she suddenly thought of giving her a present when all he knew was that today was just a normal day.

“It was her birthday yesterday.”

Her answer rang into his ears as his world started to wander off. The time when she asked him to stay over for the night so that they could watch the meteor shower, she made a wish, and as it strikes 12, it was also her birthday. He gets it now. But how cruel can he be when he didn’t even know that it was her birthday that day, probably because he doesn’t even try to at least get to know her. He promised her to be her friend, but the things that a friend can at least do is to be there on her birthday, and he didn’t even showed up.

“Mr. Kim! Are you okay?”

She waved her hands in front of me as she tried to snap him out of his trance of thoughts. As soon as the door opened at the 3rd floor, he rushed out from the elevator as she heard her shout. “Mr. Kim! Where are you going? This is not your stop!” He gave him a frisky smile, “I’ll be back.” He shouted as he ran off, leaving her dumbfounded.

 

 

She sat quietly as she watched her teaching do some equations on the small chalkboard that was place at the corner of the room. She sighed as she rested her chin on her palm. She started to scribble on her notebook as the voice of her teacher started to disappear.

“Ms. Kang! Ms. Kang, are you listening to me?”

She snapped out when she came face-to-face with a pair of small, brown orbs. “Oh! Nae!” She retorted as her teacher gave her a fixed gaze. “Then answer these equations.” She ordered as she nodded. She hugged her books on her chest as she walked through the silent hall.

“Ms. Kang! Ms. Kang!”

She stopped when she heard a familiar voice echoed through the hall. “Nurse Jung!” She excitedly exclaimed as she jumped in excitement. “Here,” She handed her the paper bag she holding a while ago as she curiously looked at her. “What’s that, Nurse Jung?” She asked as she tilted her head. “Aish. Just take it,” She retorted as she grabbed her arm to hold the bag. “I’m sorry for not being here yesterday on your birthday. My grandma was suddenly sick, so I stayed home to take care of her.” She explained as she smiled widely at her.

“Thanks, Nurse Jung!” She gave her a tight hug as a tear escaped her eyes. Nurse Jung had been with her since she was a kid, she was like her second mother, and she watched how she grew up to be a fine young lady. She’s very happy to have met a kind, and patient woman like Nurse Jung. She was very, very thankful for having her in her life.

“Anytime, Ms. Kang.” She smiled as she patted her back. She pulled away as she wiped the tears away. “Yah! Don’t be a cry baby; you’re a big girl now.” She stated as she snickered. She opened the paper bag as her eyes widened in awe. “Woah! It’s beautiful!”

“I saw it in a store at Myeongdeong, and I know you always wanted to have one of those.” She said as Sojin looked at the pink Polaroid camera. “This must have cost you a lot.” She frowned as the female waved her hands in disagreement. “Ani! I’ve been saving some money for that.” She retorted as she gently smiled. “Thank you so much, Nurse Jung! It means a lot to me.”

“Now you can shot those precious memories, and put it on your journal.” She stated as Sojin nodded. “Hm. I’ll take a lot of pictures!” She giggled. “How did you spend your birthday?” She asked as she looked down. “The same, except that you weren’t with me.” She answered; sadness was obvious in her voice. “Didn’t Mr. Kim came yesterday?” She shook her head, “No. “

“Oh, I expected him to be with you yesterday.” She stated as she bit her lip. “Me too,” She mumbled. Her buzzer suddenly rang as she fished it out of her pocket. “Sorry, Ms. Kang. But, I have to go now.” She stated as she nodded. “Nae, Fighting!” Nurse Jung smiled as she threw a fist softly in the air, “Fighting!”

She stopped by the familiar door as she let out a sigh. She slowly slid the door as she went insider her room. She carefully placed down her things on her desk as she placed the camera on top of her small shelf, near her parents’ gift that they sent to her yesterday.

The lights of the hospital suddenly went down as she gasped in surprised. She looked through her drawer for her flashlight and she switched it on. A sound of the door being pushed open as she directed the light towards the entrance.

“Saengil Chukhae Hamnida~”

Her eyes widened when he saw Baekhyun singing the birthday song with a cake with lighted candles were in his hands. As he came closer and closer, more boys started entering my room. The last guy who entered was Jongin as he gave me a playful smiled and sang with the others. When the song was finished, she blew the candles off as everyone clapped and the lights were backed on.

“Happy Birthday, Sojin!”

They all cheered as she smiled at them. “Thank you so much!” She bowed numerous times. “Since you can’t go out and have some fun, we’re bringing the party here!” Chanyeol stated as they all jumped excitedly.

Varieties of foods were placed on the small table as they shared stories with each other. “Ahjussi! Can you pass the kimchi for me?” She asked as he grabbed it near him and passed it to her. “Thanks, Ahjussi!” She beamed as he nodded at her.

“I’m kinda wondering.” Baekhyun started as we all looked at him. “About what?” Kai asked as he cocked an eyebrow. “Why do you call him ‘Ahjussi’?”  He asked as everyone turned their attention to her.

She smiled, “He was the first friend I ever made. And I thought he was really old so I called him that.” They all snickered at her blunt answer. “Old? How old do you think he is when you first saw him?” Suho asked. “26.” She shortly answered as they all burst in laughter. His eyebrows twitched at the groups’ sudden outburst. His hand balled into a fist as he looked down, trying to resist his anger.

He quickly looked up as he glared at them. Everyone grew quiet as they continued eating, too quietly. She noticed the sudden silence around the room as she looked up from her eating.

 “Why did it become so quiet?” She curiously asked as she all looked at them.

 

 

“Ahjussi!”

He turned around as she saw her running towards him with her pink fluffy slippers. “What are you still doing here?” He asked as she stopped in front of him. She smiled as they both started walking far behind from the others. She put her hands behind her back as she started humming a tune. She was waiting for the right timing to tell him, but she’s having a hard time to say it.

“Ahjussi.”

“Hm?”

“I really want to say thank you.” She meekly said as she looked down. “About what?” He asked as he looked at her. “That was the best party I ever had. It was super fun. Very, very fun! I liked it!” She exclaimed as he chuckled inwardly.

“It wasn’t my idea, it was them.” He stated as he kept a straight face on. She squinted with her eyes as she suspiciously looked at him. She bumped her arms at him as the latter stumbled a bit. “Eii~ don’t be shy about it. I know you all planned it.” She teasingly said as he scoffed.

“Why would I bother planning those kinds of things when I’m already busy?” He depended as she shrugged. “Okay, okay, no need to be defensive, Ahjussi.” She mockingly said, making him more annoyed.

“But, even though you keep denying it, thank you.” She said as they stopped by the main entrance. “Thank you, Jongin.” She smiled as the latter looked down. He cleared his throat as he rubbed his nape, “It was..nothing.”