Sixteen

Hospital Room 114

Steps can be heard as they slowly walked through the almost deserted hall. It was already passed by her curfew and they tried to avoid her mother from seeing them. “Your mom is so going to kill me.” He nervously said as his face grew more worried. She giggled, “Don’t worry. She’ll understand.” She half surely said. “No. I don’t she will.” He whispered as they slowly opened the door, trying their best to as quiet as they can possibly be.

They relieved a heavy sigh when they saw no sign of her mother. “See, she’s not---“, “It’s passed your curfew.” A voice suddenly appeared behind their back. “OH MY GOOODDD!” They shouted in sync as they jumped in surprise.

“Umma.”

“Doctor Kang.” He politely bowed in 90 degrees. “You guys are late.” She sternly said. “Hm, we could explain, Doctor Kang. We were running late so we waited for another bus and the city was a bit trafiic and. . .”

“It’s okay.” She chuckled.

“Wha-what?” He stuttered as he blinked a few times.

“It’s fine as long as my daughter had fun.” She said as Sojin smiled widely and she ran up to hugged her. “Thank you, Thank you, Umma!” She cried. “I know, Sojin.” She pulled away from her as she looked at the guy who is still surprised from the response the he got. “And to you Mr. Kim, thank you so much for giving my daughter your time.” She smiled as he shyly nodded. “Thank you for accepting my request, Dr. Kang.” She held his shoulder as she gave him a smile. She turned at Sojin, “Say your goodbye now; it’s already time for you two to rest.”

She nodded at her mother as bid them goodnight. He looked at Sojin with his hands inside his coat pocket as he drew circles with the sole of his shoe “So, I guess I’ll be leaving now.” She nodded, “Thank you for today.” “You’re welcome.” He answered as he rubbed the back of his head. “I’ll see you tomorrow then?” He added as she nodded her head. “I’ll be with the kids, I’ll tell them about our journey to the outside world.” She excitedly said as he chuckled. Seeing how excited she is, he can’t help but do the same. It gave him the light feeling to see her smile. “Sure, you tell them about it.” He looked at his watch and he noticed how late it was already.

“I..I should go now.” He said and was ready to leave when someone suddenly stopped her. He turned around and looked at her, “I-is something wrong?”

“I haven’t repaid you yet.”

“Oh! No, no, it’s. . .it’s okay.” He insisted.

“You don’t have to---“

At that very moment, he felt that his time stopped. The world stopped. Butterflies started to fly in his stomach, more like eat him up as he stood there motionless. The feeling was very. . .new. It’s not like it was his first. He dated a lot of girls but this was one was very different. As soon as those pink, plump lips landed the feeling that he once had started to come back to him. That feeling that he once had forgotten. But it all came back now. Those walls that he built up for years easy crumbled because of her.

“Ahjussi, are you still there?” He quickly came back to reality as he shook his head. “Are you okay?” She worriedly asked. He looked down as he tried to avoid any eye contact with her. “Yea, I’m fine. Why did you do that?”

“It’s an act of kindness.”

“Oh.” That’s all he could say as he can’t help but feel down at her answer. “But, don’t go around just giving you act of kindness. People might mistake it as something else.” He said and walked away. “Ahjussi! Wait!” She called but he kept walking as he tried to go out from this confinement that he is into.

 

“Is Kai home yet?” Suho worriedly asked the guys. “No, haven’t seen him since this afternoon.” Tao answered as Suho grew more worried. “Where is that kid?” A loud banging of the door surprised them all as a bad-tempered Kai stormed inside. “Yah! Kai-ssi! Where have you been?” Suho asked. “Just outside.” He shortly answered as he passed by them, walking to his bedroom that he shared with D.O.

He crashed himself into his bed as he let out a groan. He stared at the ceiling as he unknowingly touched the spot where those precious lips landed. He suddenly thought of the meaning behind it as his expression suddenly changed. “An act of kindness!? She doesn’t even know what she is talking about.” He furiously cried. He doesn’t even know why he is suddenly acting like this. Why is a peck on the cheek suddenly a big deal to him? Why is it bothering him too much? Is this because he wanted another meaning to it? “AISHHH!” He ruffled his hair as he threw a pillow on his door.

“Guys! Get out from my door!” He shouted. s were eavesdropping to his room when they heard him shout. The crowd dispersed as soon as they were caught. Kai stepped outside his room with most horrible eyebags that he could get.

“Good Morning, Kai!” Luhan suddenly came behind him as he patted his back. He suddenly noticed those dark circles that he has. “Woah! What happened to you?” “Nothing.” He shortly answered as he entered the bathroom. He stared at himself at the mirror as he tried to sync it all in. He didn’t get any sleep at all. He was up all night thinking and he just realized he looks horrible right now. He washed his face as he stared at the mirror again. He nodded as he slapped his face with both of his hands a few times. “Wake up, Kai! Wake up!”

 

He stepped through a glass door as he was greeted by some staff and nurses. He went inside an elevator and headed to where the kids are. He peeked through the small glass door frame when he noticed that someone was missing. He twisted the silver knob as he slowly walked in.

“Hyung/Oppa!” The kids greeted him as they all ran up to him. “Hi, guys!” He knelt down as they all tried to hug him. “Where’s your Sojin Noona?” He asked as they all looked at each other. “We haven’t seen her since morning, Hyung.” Jungmin answered as he nodded. “Okay.” He started to play with the kids but he couldn’t be more worried with Sojin not being in the center.

After his time with the kids, he hurriedly went to the place where he wanted to be right now. He was going to open the door when it suddenly opened by itself. Nurse Jung came out when she suddenly noticed a figure outside the door. They bowed to each other as Kai suddenly asked her, “Where’s Sojin?” Her face suddenly changed as he furrowed his eyebrows in curiosity.

“Mr. Kim, I guess, Ms. Kang can’t see you right now.”

“Why? Is she in there or not?” She shook her head, “No, Mr. Kim. Ms. Kang is sick.” His eyes widened as he grew in fear. “Is this because of yesterday? How could this happen? We didn’t expose ourselves much in the outside? We just..” “It’s not that Mr. Kim. She just caught a fever. The sudden temperature outside may have cause the reaction of her body. But, she’s okay.” She explained as he sighed. “I’m sorry.” He said.

“Don’t be, Mr. Kim. You can just visit her tomorrow. Dr. Kang ordered me to keep her from doing much work.” He nodded, “Okay. Just tell her I came.” He bowed and walked away.