Three

Hospital Room 114

He awkwardly stood there as the kids looked at him. “Mr. Kim, why don’t you introduce yourself to the kids.” The nurse said. He bowed, “Hello, I’m Kim Jongin, I’ll be here to play with you kids, so, nice to meet you.”

The kids looked at him weirdly. “Hyung, are you really that dark skin?” A kid suddenly asked as he was taken aback. “Omo! Park Junhyung!” The nurse hissed as they laughed at him. “Ani, it-it’s okay.” He gritted. “Sorry, Mr. Kim. Junhyung is really…straightforward.” He nodded as he knelt down in front of the kid.

“Yah~ You’re so cute~” He forcedly said as he pinched his chubby cheeks, a little too hard. “Ouch!” He flinched. “Sorry.” He stood up as he smirked at him. He glared at Kai as he rubbed his cheeks.

“Okay, kids. I’ll leave you with Mr. Kim now. Be nice.” She said as the kids ‘aw-ed’. “I’ll leave you now, Mr. Kim.” She nodded as he left. “Yah! What’s in the bag?” The same kid asked as he tried to grab it from Kai.

“Here,” He threw the bag on the floor as candies were sprawled out. They all gathered around it as they tried to get as many as they can. “Oppa, these are a lot of candies.” A girl came up to him with a lollipop popped inside . “Yea, enjoy those.” He uninterestedly said as he sat on the couch.

“Excuse me, while I go to sleep.” He said as he put his hood up and laid on the couch. A girl suddenly pulled the sleeve of his jacket as she tried to wake him up. “Oppa, aren’t you going to play with us?” She asked.

He groaned as he his side. “Just play with them.” He answered. The girl pouted as she went to her group of friends.

After his “session” with the kids, he was free to go. He was ready to leave and have a whole time for himself. “Where do I go?” He scratched his head as he looked around. He was still lost on finding his ways.

“Ahjussi!”

He looked up and the same girl from before waved at her. He quickly turned around as he covered his face. “Aish. Why is this girl here again?” He turned into a corner as he quickens his footsteps. He turned around and saw that she was already gone. He sighed, “Good. I lost her.”

“Who are you talking to, Ahjussi?”

His eyes widened as he stumbled back. “Woah! You scared me!” He exclaimed as he held his chest. She giggled, “Sorry, Ahjussi.”

He hissed, “Yah! Don’t call me ‘Ahjussi’.”

“Why? How old are you anyway?” She asked as she tilted her head cutely. “I’m 20.” He shortly answered. “Psh. Then I should call you ‘Ahjussi’.” She retorted. He looked at her unbelievably as he ruffled his hair in frustration. “Forget it.” He said and walked away.

“Where are you going?” She asked as she caught up with him. “Anywhere but here, as long as I’m away from you.” He said as he whispered the last part.

“What was that?” She asked. “Nothing.”

“Let’s go.” She said as she grabbed his arm, making him stopped on his tracks. “Yah! Let go of me!” He exclaimed. “I don’t want to.” She insisted as he pulled her. “Where are you taking me?” He asked. “Don’t ask. We’re wasting my 30 minutes break if you keep talking.” She answered as he dragged him.

“Here,” She said as she handed him a can of soda. “You dragged me here so we can drink a..soda.” He said as he looked at it. She giggled, “I just need someone to talk to.”

“What do you think I look like? Your talking buddy?” He asked as she slowly nodded. He scoffed at her response as he opened the soda. “Don’t worry, I’ll make it up to you next time, we can order pizza, jjangjjanggyeum, and many more.” She retorted.

“No, I don’t think there’s a next time.” He said as he drank through the can. “Why is that?” She asked as she looked at him. “Because…” He tried to make an excuse as he waited for his answer.

She tilted her, “Because of what?”

“Aish. Nothing. Next time, treat me something more delicious.” He answered as she beamed. “Next time? Really? Okay, okay.” She happily said.

“But, Ahjussi..”

“Hmm?” He looked at her while drinking the soda. “We only met just awhile ago, but we don’t even know each other’s name.” She meekly said. He spit his soda as he looked at her, “You, you don’t know me?”

She blinked a few times as she shook her head, “No.” He chuckled like a madman. “Why are you laughing,  Ahjussi?” She curiously asked. “You’re the first girl I met who doesn’t even know me.” He answered.

“Is that a bad thing?” She asked. He shook his head, “No, it’s not.” She smiled.

“I’m Sojin, Kang Sojin.” She said as she reached out her hand. He stared at it for a minute as he slightly smiled. “Jongin, Kim Jongin.” He said as he shook hands with her.

“Omo! I need to go now!” She said as she stood up. “Why?” She asked. “My teacher will scold me if I’ll be late in our lesson.” She retorted. She ran off as he tried to stop her. He watched her ran off when she suddenly turned around.

“Nice to meet you, Jongin!  I’ll see you again!” She shouted as she waved. He chuckled at her silliness as he slightly waved.

“You too.”