Fourteen

Hospital Room 114

“So, you’re the one that my daughter is talking about?” She stared at him with her chin rested on her intertwined fingers. He stood there nervously as beads of sweat started to form on his forehead even though the place is air-conditioned. It feels like he was back at the time where he auditioned for SMent, but this is far more different.

He didn’t expect her mother to look like this, to look so young and fresh. Her hair stop above her shoulder, she showed no sign of aging, her skin glowed with freshness and all her features were just like Sojin. Heck, she looks like Sojin’s older sister, who is kind a creepy.

He gulped, “Yes Ma’am.” He answered as he tried to keep his cool.

“And what’s your name, son?”

“K-Kim Jongin, ma’am.”

“And what brings you here, Jongin?” She firmly asked as she gave him an intense stare, more like a glare. “I-I wanted to ask permission from you, ma’am.”

“Let me guess. You want to take my daughter out because you promised her.” She said as he nodded. “Well, you should’ve thought about that before making that kind of promise to her because you know she’s not allowed to go out.” She stated as she continued to do her paper works. “You may leave now, Mr. Kim.”

He clenched his fist as he knows he needed to stand up for her. “Why do you forbid her to go outside that much, ma’am?” She stopped writing as she looked up. “Because, Mr. Kim, it is far dangerous for her to be outside. You don’t know what might happen to her.”

“Have you tried to keep her outside for just a few minutes, ma’am? How do you know if you haven’t even tried it?” He defended. “I’m her mother, Mr. Kim, and I know what’s not and what is good for her. So, don’t you dare tell me what to do because I know her more than you, Mr. Kim.” She austerely said as he got offended a little bit.

“You are her mom, but do you even care about the things that could make her happy? I know I’m not in the right position to say this, but do you even know the things that could make her happy? You kept her inside the hospital for too long that she doesn’t even know the things that she is missing outside. She doesn’t have any friends, or anyone beside her, that’s why she always celebrated her birthday alone. She was so curious about all the things outside. Yes, ma’am, you are her mother, but it felt like you weren’t there at all. I only met her last month but it feels like I know her for a long time now.”

She was taken aback at what he said. She didn’t know what she should feel right now, being confronted by someone who she doesn’t even know, but knows her daughter completely.

“So, please think about your decision, ma’am. It will mean a lot to your daughter.” She looked as she bit her lip out of guiltiness. He bowed, “It was nice talking to you, ma’am. And it was a pleasure to meet you. Enjoy the rest of the day. I’ll be leaving now, ma’am.”

He left her dumbfounded as he went out of the room. He let out a deep breathed he held his chest. It felt like it was going to explode. He doesn’t even know what came over him. He just had the sudden courage to tell her those. He walked on the hallway with a satisfied smile plastered on his perfect face.

 

 

“Ahjussi!” She called as she saw him walking by the hall as he made his way to meet with the children. He abruptly turned around just by hearing his name being called out. “Oh, Sojin-ah!” He exclaimed as she stopped in front of him and smiled widely.

“Guess what, Ahjussi?”

He tapped his chin with his finger as he looked up and hummed, pretending like he’s deep in thought. “Did you found out that I’m y and you’re already in love with me?” He joked as she gave him a sarcastic laugh. “What the heck! Dream on, Ahjussi!” She blurted and playfully slapped his arm.

He laughed as he rubbed his arm, “You told me to guess.”

“Well, it’s a nonsense answer.”

“Whatever. What is it anyway?”

“My mom agreed!” She exclaimed as his eyes widened. “What?” He blinked a few times as his brain started to progress. “My mom allowed me to go outside.” She repeated as she jumped in joy. “Really? That’s great!”

He wasn’t just happy for her, he was also happy for himself since he’s the one who talked to and knocked some senses out of her. Then does it means, her mom really understood what he meant. Did she really want Sojin to have her own happiness?

“We can go out this Saturday!” She cheered as she ran and flailed her arms around the hall. Everyone looked at them like some cuckoos that just got to the hospital and get them treated in an instant. He politely bowed to some passer-by as he tried to stop her.

 

 

“Ahjussi!” She called as he looked from the manga that he was reading. “Hm?” He responded. “What do you think should I wear this Saturday?” She asked as he looked at him curiously. He gazed at her from head to toe as miniscule smile was on his face. “Anything will be okay besides your hospital pajamas.” He answered as he went back to what he was doing.

“I know that I always wear this kind of clothes but I have some normal, decent clothes in here.” She stated as she went to her small drawer. She rummaged inside but everything was already too small to fit for her size or either too young for her age.

“Ah, forget it.” She said as she closed her drawer and slumped down on the couch. He chuckled, “Come on! Don’t put yourself into a bad mood. You can just ask Nurse Jung for some clothes that you could wear.”

“I guess so.”

“Okay! I think I need to go now.” He said as he stood up from the couch. “Bye, Ahjussi.” She said as he suddenly felt sorry for her. Why is she so down all of a sudden? “Are you okay?” He asked as she slowly nodded. “Is there something bothering you?” He sat next to her as she sighed. “It just that, I’ve been kept inside for so long that I don’t even have any proper clothes, that maybe my mom is right.” She thought as she looked at him, with sadness lingering in her eyes. “Right about what?”

“Maybe it is really dangerous for me to go outside.” It wasn’t that she’s scared or anything. She’s been kept away from the outside world and she just nervous of what the outside world looks like now. At that time, he just wants to give her a hug and tell her that it’ll be alright and she’ll have lots of fun. But even he doesn’t get the freedom and fun that he wants since he became an idol. Because, he too, wants to be in the outside world where everyone doesn’t recognize him and there are no media and fans that follow him around.

He just gave him a comforting smile as he placed his hand on top of hers. “It’ll all be alright.” And that word came out, something so small, but it gives her the comfort that she needs. She slightly smiled at him and nodded.

“Thanks, Jongin.”