Eight

Hospital Room 114

“Ahjussi!” She called as she sat next to him. He didn’t hear her because of the loud music booming in his ears. “Yahhh! Ahjussi!” She whined as she shook his shoulder. His earphones suddenly fell as he shot up.

“What is it?”

She looked at him as she smiled. He sighed, “Just tell me.”

“Can you stay here until 12?” She quickly asked as her hands were tangled together. “What?!” He blurted as she pouted. “Pleaseee~” She pleaded.

“Give me 5 reasons why I should stay.”

She bit her lip as she looked down, “Hmm.”

“Well,…..”

“I’m waiting.” He stated as she glared at him. She sneered, “Just wait, okay?”

“Ah-hah!” She snapped as he smirked. “Tell me.” He said as his arms were crossed on his chest. She looked down, “No, that’s not it.”

“I know!” She cheered. “Because you’re my only friend, and friends stick together.”

“That’s only one but it is equivalent to a hundred meanings.” She smiled as he looked at her. He inwardly chuckled as he shook his head. She curiously looked at him, “W-why are you laughing?”

“Whyyy?” She asked as he shook him. He chuckled as he smiled. He wiped a tear from the corner of his eye as he looked at her, “It’s nothing.”

“Okay, I’ll stay.” He answered. Her eyes widened as she cheered. “Really? Really?” She bounced on her seat as he placed his hand on top of her head to stop her. “You need to calm down.” She giggled as she looked at him.

“You’re really staying?” She asked in glee.

“Hm. But I need to in---“

“DONE!”  He looked at her when she handed his phone back. “I already texted them.” She said as she stood up. “I better go now, Ahjussi!” She walked away as she left him dumbfounded.

“How did she get my phone out from my pocket?”

 

She was sitting beside her window when someone knocked by the door frame. She saw him leaning against the door frame with his hand on his pocket.

“Ahjussi!”

She ran towards him like a little kid as he chuckled inwardly. “It’s already 10 in the evening. Why do you want me here?” He asked as she snorted. “You ask too much, Ahjussi.”

“Okay, I’m leaving.” He said as he turned around.

“WAIT!” She quickly grabbed his arm. “I was just kidding.” She said as he intently looked at her. “Okay, okay. I’ll just go and grab my jacket.”

“Where are we going anyway?”

He asked as they walked through the dark hall of the hospital as she light their way with a flashlight. “We’re almost there.” She answered as he rolled his eyes. “Wait.” She stopped as he curiously looked at her. “What is it?” He asked. “Did you hear that?” She asked as she hushed him.

“Wh-what do you mean?” He stuttered as he drew his body to her.  “I was just kidding.” She said as she walked away. He quickly caught up with her as he tried to hold out his screams if ever something will come out.

“We’re here!” She said as she opened the door to the rooftop. She ran over the railings as she opened up her arms and closed her eyes. “Wahh! It feels so nice to be here.” She said. He chuckled as he stood beside her.  She opened her eyes as she looked at him. “You should do it too!” She said.

“NO.”

“Come on.” She said as she tried to open his arms out. “No.” He retorted. “It’ll be fun.” She insisted. He sighed as he opened his arms slowly. She smiled, “See. Now, close your eyes.”

“No. I do---“

“Just do it!”

He sighed as he closed his eyes. She was right; it feels so good to be there. It feels like, he was in a different world. He opened his eyes and she was already gone. He turned around and she saw walking near the small warehouse.

He followed her when the lights inside suddenly . He peeked inside and the room was decorated with pictures and toys. “Come in,” She said as his forehead suddenly hits the ceiling. “Ouch!” She giggled, “Sorry, this warehouse has a height limit.”

“Ha. Ha. Funny.” He said as he sat on one of the beanbags.

“This has been my secret hiding place since I was a kid.” She said as she sat on the other beanbag. “You built this then?” He asked as she nodded. “Yup. No one knows this place but me.” She said. “Well, since I brought you here, then you should keep it a secret. Okay?” She held out her pinky.

He scoffed, “Are you serious?” She pouted, “YES.”

He intertwined it with his pinky, “I promise.” 

She smiled, “Good.” 

She shared some stories to him as he tried his best not to sleep on her. He kept nodding as he asked some basic questions so that she wouldn’t think that he’s already sleepy.

“Ohh. It’s time!” She exclaimed as he suddenly snapped out. “It’s time, Ahjussi!” She stood up and pulled him up. “What are you talking about?” He curiously asked. “There.” She said as she looked at sky.

“What is---“

His eyes widened when a million of falling stars were seen on the sky. “It’s beautiful, right?” She asked, her eyes were fixed on the sky. “Hm.” He nodded. “Hurry! Let’s make a wish!” She said as she closed her eyes. “Come on! I don’t---“

“Quickly!”

He rolled his eyes as he closed it. After making a wish, he opened his eyes as he turned to looked at her. He stared at her as he traced her features. Her eyes, pointy nose, milky skin, and those…pink lips. He gulped hardly as he blinked a few times.

She opened her eyes as she smiled. She curiously looked at him when she noticed him staring at her. “Ahjussi!” She called. He snapped out, “Y-yea, I’m fine.”

After the 12 minutes meteor shower, he brought him back to her room. “Thank you for tonight, Ahjussi!” She smiled as he nodded. “Yea, it was nothing.” He answered. “The next meteor shower will happen next year again. It was kind a different because I watched it with someone else this year.” She meekly said.

“Then, we’ll watch it again next year.”

She shot up, “Really? You’ll watch it again with me?”

He nodded. “Actually, it’s my first time to watch a meteor shower.”

“Really? I didn’t know.” She answered. “Okay, we’ll watch it again next year. You promise?” She stated as she looked at him. “Cross my heart.” He said as he crossed his chest with his finger.

“I better get going now.” He said as she nodded. “Hm. Be careful, Ahjussi.” She retorted. “I will.” He flailed his hand as he turned around. “Go and have some rest.” He muttered. He was waiting for the elevator to open when he heard a familiar voice.

“Ahjussi!”

He turned around and she saw her running towards him. His eyes widened as the doors of the elevator opened.

“What are you still doing here?” He asked.

His eyes grew wide when a pair of arms was suddenly wrapped around his waist. She was hugging him. She was HUGGING him. He didn’t know how to respond as he just stood there, surprised. “Thank you, Ahjussi.” She muttered.

He softly patted her head. “Hm.”

She pulled away as she scratched her head, embarrassed. “I-I should get going now. Bye~” She quickly ran away before he could stop her.

That night…Jonging felt something weird.

A foreign feeling.