Chapter 1

The Human Experience

“There’s a werewolf pack here,” Bora sighed the moment the group stepped on to the high school campus. When she let Suji pick the high school that they would attend, the elder vampire had thought she’s check out her options before picking. Apparently this hadn’t happened as the campus reeked of werewolf.

“Is that going to be a problem for you?” N smirked slightly. He knew that Bora could easily beat down anything that caused a problem, so the werewolf smell wasn’t a big deal. “You just don’t want to be here.”

“High school for the hundredth time,” Gayun yawned as she joined the pair at the front of the group, “yay.” She rolled her eyes before flipping the hood of her sweater up to cover most of her head and plugging in her headphones.

“Let’s go get our class lists,” Suji giggled excitedly, running past the three with Hongbin and Hanbi right behind her. Sharing a look that clearly said they didn’t want to be there, the rest of the group followed, moving slowly as if to prolong their time as nonstudents.

“Leo. Ravi. Ken. Nara. Keep an eye out for any dogs,” N instructed, “and keep a close eye on Jiwook, Hyuk, and Jina while you’re at it. Hongbin and Hanbi can look after Suji. Bora, Gayun, and I can handle ourselves.” Everyone nodded. Bora might be the oldest of them all and the official leader, but N tended to be the one who gave the orders outside of a fight. If any of them got into a fight with the werewolves, then Bora would step in like the great leader she was. For the day-to-day things, N was in charge.

“I’ve made sure we’re in the same class,” Bora pointed between herself, N, and Gayun, “should make things a bit more interesting. I might actually stay awake in class for once.” N smiled slightly before going back to his poker face. Bora had been around so long that anything taught in school was pointless for her – more times than not, she already knew what the teacher was teaching and understood it better the they did. If being with N and Gayun could keep her from falling asleep, then he was all for it.

“Like humans are interesting,” Gayun rolled her eyes. As if to prove her point, a group of girls passed them, giggling about how cute a group of boys – EXO or something like that – were.

“Kris oppa is just so hot,” one of the girls gushed.

“I know, right?” another giggled, “His stare makes my legs turn to jelly.”

“What about Tao oppa?” a third asked, “he’s so tall and dark and mysterious.”

“And he’s so cute, too,” the final member of the group just about screamed.

“See?” Gayun rolled her eyes and turned up her music. The volume of her music didn’t matter, though. Thanks to her vampire hearing, she could still hear the girls squealing loud and clear.

“I have the schedules,” Suji called as she ran to join the others. Bora rolled her eyes as Hongbin and Hanbi appeared running after her. Somehow, those two always ended up chasing after her younger sister. No matter how hard they tried to keep up with her, she was always in the lead. One day, that could prove to be dangerous, but for now it was just annoying to watch.

“Bora, N, Ken, and Gayun are together,” Suji said as she handed out the papers, “Leo is by himself. Hyuk is with Jina. Ravi and Hanbi are in the same classes. Jiwook and Nara share all their classes together. And Hongbin is with me.” Leo nodded, satisfied with his time table before silently excusing himself so he could get to his class. Hyuk quickly promised to keep a close eye on Jina – the youngest member of their family – before the pair also left. Ravi and Hanbi shared a high five after looking over their class list.

“Have fun, hyungs!” Ravi patted N and Ken on the shoulder before heading off himself with Hanbi. Jiwook nodded a silent goodbye to his sisters before leaving. Nara, still caught up in her joy of being with Jiwook, didn’t realize he was going until he was out of her sight. Then, she panicked and ran off in the direction she thought he had gone.

“See you later,” Suji and Hongbin smiled at the four left and then headed off to their first classroom.

“Let the fun begin,” Bora yawned before leading the others to their class room.

As they walked, the bell rang, signalling the students to make a mad dash for their classrooms. Even with this chaos, though, everyone gave the four vampires their space. Bora has always found that interesting about humans. On a primal level, they knew a vampire when they saw one, realized that vampires where a threat. Yet humans still ended up coming closer and closer until the vampire was in total control and killed them.

“I give it a week before they swarm us,” she commented and N nodded in agreement.

“I wouldn’t say a week,” Ken frowned slightly, “maybe a couple of days. I think that having a werewolf pack here is messing with their instincts.”

Moments later, the group found themselves at the door of their classroom. The teacher was just about to enter when he saw them.

“Running late?” he scoffed and Bora frowned slightly. This so called teacher clearly was one of those awful ones who acted all high and mighty, getting upset when a student caught a mistake in their work like it was the kids fault or something. Bora hated people like that.

“We’re new,” Ken explained, “we just got our timetables this morning.” The teacher nodded, but warned them not to be late again.

“Please introduce yourselves,” he instructed as the four fell into a line along the front of the room.

“Song Bora,” Bora looked disinterested, but her eyes were busy searching the room for the werewolves her nose told her were there. She couldn’t see anyone openly glaring at her, but her nose was never wrong. Going by the looks N, Ken, and Gayun had sent her, they smelled the wolves, too.

“I’m Cha Hack Yeon,” N stated, doing his own search and coming up just as dry, “but I prefer to be called N.”

“I’m Lee Jae Hwan,” Ken smiled at the class, trusting N and Bora to find the werewolves, “but everyone calls me Ken.”

“Park Gayun,” Gayun yawned, taking off her sweater when Bora signaled, “pleasure, I’m sure.” Gayun would have much rather kept her sweater on, but it wasn’t dress code approved and would get her into trouble. She might not care about things like that, but Bora did and Gayun wasn’t willing to face the original’s wrath over something stupid like a sweater.

“Please find any empty seat and sit down so I can start,” the teacher said, stating to talk even before the four sat down.

“Should have compelled him,” Gayun muttered, too low for human ears to pick up.

“Not in front of people,” Bora replied, her own voice just as low, “we can’t cause a scene.”

“Not yet any way,” Gayun smirked.

“You’re so heartless,” Ken growled, glaring at the blond vampire, “can’t you show a little humanity.”

“Didn’t you know?” she hissed back, “humanity is over rated. Why don’t you try it some time. Oh. Wait. You have tried it. You can’t handle it.”

“Enough,” both Bore and N hissed before Ken could respond. The pair of fighting vampires glared at each other once more before turning back to their own things. With the fight prevented, Bora focused on trying to sniff out the werewolves in the room while making it appear she was paying attention to the class.

Bora had been around long enough to know that werewolves hated vampires. She’d even been part of what started the ten thousand year old blood feud. Thus, the fact that the werewolves in the room showed no indications of wanting to rip her and the others apart was concerning.  It couldn’t be that the werewolves didn’t know what she was, their noses were too good not to smell a vampire when one walked into a room, which left only one possible option. They were werewolves who had no idea about vampire-werewolf relations.

It was uncommon, but she had met a couple of young werewolves who had no idea that they should hate vampires. They pair had been abandoned and grown up without any knowledge about their kind. Everything they knew had come from books, movies, and television shows. However, that had been two werewolves and Bora had smelled the scent of twelve when she came to school. One or two werewolves made her theory likely. Twelve seemed rather impossible.

“I’m Tao,” the boy next to her greeted when class ended for lunch a few hours later, “it’s nice to meet you.” He waved his hand slightly as he stood to leave.

“Pleasure,” she nodded before his scent hit her.

He was one of the werewolves.

Bora sat shocked as he left, trying to figure out how she hadn’t realized it sooner.

“What happened?” N asked as he came to stand by her side.

“That Tao boy is a wolf,” she frowned, eyes narrowing slightly as she followed his movements out the door, “he greeted me kindly.”

“Just what kind of wolf is he?” Ken frowned, “trying to make friends with a vampire. Is he crazy?”

“Apparently,” Gayun scoffed before heading off to find the cafeteria. Vampires might not need to eat, but they do need to pretend to if they want to appear human.

“Keep an eye on him,” N and Ken nodded, “better yet, keep two. I want to know who is in his pack and if they’re like him. I want to know if this is a ruse or if he’s going to try killing us in our sleep.” Bora glared ahead of her, trying to figure out what kind of game Tao was playing.

N secretly felt happy to see Bora so involved in something. Normally, she seemed so detached from the world, like nothing mattered. But if something caught her interest, she turned into a driven, passionate creature he couldn’t help but admire.