Fourth

Revelation

            As soon as Jenni got home she shared her good news with her mother. The first person who had supported her in her goal to tryout.

            The look on her mother’s face though told her something was wrong. Mrs. Park looked worried and sad. “Oemma, whats wrong?” Jenni could easily sense that something wasn’t right. Usually her mother was in a cheerful mood all the time.

            Mrs.Park forced a smile and shook her head,”nothing dear. So how was school hm? Did you do good during the tryouts.”

            Jenni couldn’t see past her mothers façade and smiled, “yeah I made it.”

            “Oh already? Wow, my daughter is so talented,” she praised Jenni while hugging her tightly. The hug lasted longer then necessary, and the worry and feeling of dread crept into Jenni’s chest. Something was definitely wrong.

            The sniffling she heard coming from behind her confirmed her thoughts a second later. “Oemma! Why are you crying hm? Don’t cry please,” Jenni begged as she hugged her mom back just as hard. Both sitting on the couch clutching onto each other as if it were for dear life.

            “Jenni-ah, my baby. You know that oemma and appa love you right? No matter what we will always love you,” Mrs.Park was now sobbing. “Of course I know. Same with me, I will always love you both very much. So don’t cry anymore please. Ok?” Jenni now shed tears of her own. Confusion and sadness sweeping through her. Why is oemma crying?

            The front door opened and Jenni began to pull away from her mother, only to be pulled back even tighter against her chest. “Honey what happened? Why are you crying?” Mr.Park’s worried voice asked while sitting down behind Jenni’s back to see his wifes tear stained face.

            He embraced both Jenni and Mrs.Park in his long firm arms and held onto them as if he were trying to hold everyone together.

            Jenni couldn’t take the sounds of her mothers sobbing anymore. “Oemma please tell us whats wrong so we can make it better,” she begged. “Voicing it out loud would only make the situation harder to bear with dear,” Mrs.Park sniffed.

            Mr.Park pulled away and Mrs.Park followed slowly after, keeping her head down. “Honey what is this all about?” Jenni’s father asked with a gentle but firm voice. He was also beyond curious as to why his wife was crying as if she lost something. But little did he know, they were about to.

            “Jen-jen go up to your room. I need to talk to your father alone, ok? Go on I’ll come up after and we’ll talk,” even though her heart was breaking Mrs.Park still managed a forced but warm smile.

            Jenni looked unsure but she didn’t want to upset her mother more. As she made her way out of the room she threw worried glances toward her mother. Who responded with soft smiles so Jenni would believe she was okay.

            “She’s back,” Mrs.Park cut right to the chase as soon as Jenni was upstairs and out of sight. “Ar-are you sure?” Shock was evident on Mr.Park’s face.

            Mrs.Park looked down and bit her lip to ent herself from breakind down again, but she shook her head yes in response to her husbands question. “Of course I’m sure. Junsu-shi came by earlier and we talked for awhile. He had one of his man track down  Jenni and follow her. Honey she want’s Jenni back! Her birth mother wants our Jen-jen back! Ottoke?!” Mrs.Park broke down again at the end.

            Something dropped behind them and both parents turned to see Jimin standing at the door with a basketball bouncing in front of him. Shock and disbelief written all over his face. “Oemma what are you talking about?”

            “Jimin-ah, go up to your room. Your mother and I need to discuss this before we share it with you and Jenni. So go,” Mr.Park’s voice was stern, and yet sounded so tired at the same time.

            Jimin walked upstairs and pretended to go to his room. But as soon as he was around the corner he opened then closed his bedroom door without actually going in. He leaned against the wall and listened closely to his parents conversation going on downstairs.

            “What are we gonna do?” Mrs.Park asked with so much worry.

            It was quiet for awhile before Mr.Park answered. “Hyorin-ah we won’t give her back. Its as simple as that. Jenni is our daughter. That woman can’t leave her with you then just come back to claim her like a lost puppy. No, I won’t have it.” With every word his voice and anger rose.

            “Seulong-ah its not as simple as that. When Yuri left Jenni with me she promised to come back someday for her. And because of that promise she never signed Jenni over to me as her legal mother or to you as her legal father. All this time Jenni has been living with us she has never truly been ours,” Hyorin couldn’t stop or even control her sobs anymore. Now that she’s actually voiced out what she knew all along, it hurt more than any physical injury she could ever receive.

            “How can you say that?! We’re the ones who have taken care of her all this time. How can Yuri come back now after 10 years and try to take back our daughter?! This isn’t right. I can’t allow it,” Seulong was now fighting back his own tears. He knew his wife was right. But it felt wrong to just give up so easily. “I’m going to call our lawyer and we’ll meet with him tomorrow. Till then don’t tell the children anything.”

            Little did they know that their eldest had heard every word. And now Jimin was at the top of the stairs crying his heart out. The little girl he grew up with and loved as a sister, wasn’t even blood related to him in anyway. Their parents had lied to the both of them and now the whole family would be in pain. How could they do this? What about Jenni? She can’t go away..shes the only sister I have.