Sixth

Revelation

            Hyorin walked over to Jimin’s room and knocked on the door softly before entering. Jimin lay still on his bed with his back facing his door. But Hyorin knew he was awake. Her son didn’t sleep as peacefully as he laid right now. No, her son was a heavy sleeper who was all over the place.

            She made her way over to his bed and sat down on the edge with their backs against each other. “I know you awake pumpkin so you might as well talk to me,” Hyorin said in a light and teasing tone. Trying to ease the atmosphere unsuccessfully.

            Jimin still didn’t budge from his position. Laying completely still. “Okay fine if your not going to talk then at least listen.”

            At that he sat up quickly, causing his mother to jump. “No! I don’t want to listen cause your just going to lie to me again.” Hyorin could now see that her son had been crying by the puffiness in his eyes.

            She moved closer to comfort him but he only backed away from her arms. “Why are you being this way huh?” Hyorin asked in confusion. She still didn’t know that her son had overheard everything already.

            “Oemma you can’t let that woman take Jenni away! You can’t! I won’t allow it!” At this point Hyorin was taken back by Jimin’s words. She was both shocked and hurt.

            “You listen to me Park Jimin. No one is letting anyone get taken away. Jenni will always be apart of this family no matter where she goes. Now tell me what you heard and don’t you dare try to lie to me,” Hyorin’s voice was firm, demanding, and scary. It was this tone of voice that put her in control of the household.

            “I heard everything,” Jimin broke down in sobs on his mothers lap. “Oemma is it really true? Is Jenni really not my sister?”

            “Of course she’s your sister. Even if it’s not by blood. Jenni will always be your sister.” Hyorin explained while she rubbed his arm soothingly. She still couldn’t believe he had heard everything. But now that he has its made things both easier and more difficult.

            Easier because at least they wouldn’t have to hide it from him. But more difficult because now Jenni was the only who didn’t know. And this involved her more than anyone else.

            Jimin sat up and Hyorin held his face in her hands gently. “Listen Jiminie, you can’t tell Jenni about this ok. Me and appa will tell her but now’s not the time. Do you understand?” Jimin nodded his head yes but before he could ask anymore questions Hyorin shushed him and hugged him close.

            “My poor babies. We’ll figure this out and get through it okay,” Hyorin said the words to convince herself more than Jimin. And even though Jimin wanted to believe her, he couldn’t help but feel hopeless about the situation they were in.

 

            The next day after the children went off to school Hyorin and Seulong went to meet their lawyer to see if they could do anything.

            “I’m sorry to have to tell you this but even if you were to fight for custody the odds aren’t in your favor. First of all Miss Lee’s name is still on Jenni’s birth certificate as her birth mother. Plus I’ve looked into and it seems as though her family has one of the best lawyers money can buy in Seol. Second of all even though you’ve taken care of Jenni all her life, the system won’t take that into account. Especially considering the fact that Miss Lee is better of financially then both of you,” their lawyer Jaesook explained.

            “But that’s not her money it’s her parents,” Hyorin tried to reason.

            “Actually both her parents have passed so Miss Lee is the sole heir to everything they owned,” countered their lawyer. Aish! Really who’s side is this man on?! Hyorin thought bitterly.

            By the look on her husbands face she could tell he was thinking the same as her. “Isn’t there anything we could do?” Seulong asked with frustration.

            “Of course we could always try but it’s already a lost cause. You should really be thinking about the emotional damage this could cause both families as well. Child custody cases are a big issue and it could go on longer than 2 years if your pursue it. And if you do Miss Lee would still be allowed visitation rights while the child is in your home. Look I know this sounds discouraging to the both of you but please think about this thoroughly before deciding,” their lawyer said before they concluded the meeting to an end.

             The car ride home was quiet and tense. Both thinking things over and trying to come up with the best solution on what to do.

             Neither one were expecting the guest that stood in front of their door when they got home.

             “Yuri-ah…” Hyorin wasn’t shocked. She was actually waiting for Yuri to show up in person to talk to her.

              Yuri looked different. No longer the fatigued, unhealthy, desperate looking woman she was when she showed up 10 years ago. Everything about her now shouted out to the world that she was made of money. Her aura demanded respect. The aura of a woman who’s been through too much, and given up a lot to be where she’s at.

             “Hyorin-ah Seulong-shi, its been a long time,” she tilted her head down a little to show respect.

              Hyorin immediately bowed as well but quickly regained composure to look at the woman in front of her now. In her eyes her best friend had changed. Something wasn’t the same anymore but she couldn’t pin point what it was just yet.

                 “Can we talk please,” Yuri asked while looking in between both Hyorin and Seulong.

              “Sure. Come inside,” Hyorin lead the way while Seulong opened the door for them.

             All three adults made their way into the kitchen and sat down at the kitchen table to talk. “Would you like anything to drink?” Hyorin asked to break the awkward silence that was beginning to fall between them.

              It was obvious Seulong wasn’t going to make any effort to start a conversation first as he sat across from Yuri with his hands crossed and a deep frown on her face. The phrase if looks could kill came in mind.

             “No thank you. I don’t plan on staying here long today. Not unless your okay with Jenni seeing me now,” Yuri replied. “We actually haven’t told her yet,” Hyorin tried to explain. “No but you’ve certainly told your lawyer.”

              Before Hyorin could ask how she knew Yuri cut her off and explained. “My lawyer informed me of the custody case your trying to file.”

             “What is your reason for being here right now?” Seulong cut her off demanding to know. Also to revenge his wife for being rudely cut off. Hyorin knew his intentions and squeezed his hand lightly underneath the table where their hands were connected.

           “I just wanted to talk about the situation at hand. I know that me coming back like this after 10 long years is wrong but we did promise Hyorin. Jenni is my daughter and right now she also the only other heir to the Lee fortune.”

           “So that’s why you want her back?! For fortune?!” Seulong yelled out. Hyorin squeezed his hand tighter signaling him to calm down. “Lets hear her out first,” she whispered to him.

             “Of course its not. The fortune is already mine and it’s also hers. What I’m saying is I need my daughter back. I know that sounds wrong but in my heart she has always been mine,” Yuri tried to explain calmly without getting frustrated.

             Yuri didn’t think it would be easy trying to get her own daughter back so she came prepared but both sides just wanted everything over with but with the outcome in their favor.

             “Why should we? Why should we give back the little girl that we raised and love?! How can you come back now, 10 years later and just expect us to hand her over to you?!” Hyorin had been the one to tell Seulong to calm down, but now she herself couldn’t control her anger.

              “Because Hyorin!”

             “Because what Yuri?!”

              “Because I’m dying! Is that what you want to hear? That I’m dying and I want to spend as much time as I can with the only family I have left?!” Yuri had to turn away to hide the tears that were threatening to escape. She didn’t come here to cry this time.

             “What?” Both Hyorin and Seulong were shocked at the turn of events.

               “I’m dying Hyorinie… I have cancer and I don’t have much time left. Just let me take her with me for awhile to spend my last days with her. And if she wants to come back after I’m gone she can… She’s all I have left and this is my last dying wish before I leave this earth.”

               Again Yuri found herself on her knee begging. A place she told herself she wouldn’t end up anymore ever again after the day she left her daughter. But now here she is again. Begging to have her only child back.

              “Wh-what? H-how? When did you find this out?” Seulong was the one to break the silence now.

                  Yuri remained on her knees with her head down as she answered,” I only found out last month after an accident. Truth is, before I found out I had cancer I had decided to let you keep Jenni. I knew how well you two took care of her and I thought it was only fair to let you keep what I couldn’t take care of. What I hid from my own family.”

                Both Seulong and Hyorin were once again caught off guard. Both their minds were blank as they tried to process what Yuri was telling them.

                “After I found out I had cancer I realized that my only wish was to have my only child back by my side. I know its selfish of me to do this but Jenni is the only relative I have left. Please try to understand me,” Yuri could no longer hold back her tears as they came pouring down on their own.

                  So this is it? There is no way I can so no to her request now and I know Seulong feels the same way… Hyorin thought to herself bitterly. “Stay for dinner,” Seulong said it in a way that made it clear it wasn’t a question. He was telling Yuri what to do. But this was her chance to be with her daughter so she’ll happily take it.

 

           “Jenni come here,” Jimin pulled Jenni over before leaning down in front of her. “Hurry up and hop on,” he instructed her. “Yah, Jimin hyung are you sure that’s a good idea?” Jeongkook asked in a serious tone. “Yeah why?” Jimin asked as he slowly lifted off the ground with Jenni on his back.

          “Cause Jenni looks like she weighs a ton!” Jungkook started cracking up at his own joke. Taehyung stood nearby shaking his head at his own brothers lameness. “If anyone weighs a ton it would be you. You eating machine,” Taehyung defended Jenni. “My sister is as light as a feather but thank you for worrying about me. I love you too Kookie,” Jimin teased.

          “Jenni-ah why are you so light hm?”

         “I don’t know Oppa…maybe cause of all the workouts we do at practice.”

          “When we get home lets eat till are stomach get big. Okay?” Jenni giggled at Jimin’s words before nodding in agreement.

          Taehyung and Jungkook went ahead to their house as Jimin and Jenni lagged behind taking their sweet time. Talking about their day and other things that were on their mind. Except for one thing that was on Jimin’s mind that he couldn’t share.

          As Jimin opened the door to their house he froze as he spotted the woman sitting next to his mother on the couch.

          The look on Jimin’s face told Hyorin her son knew who this woman was. But the only person Yuri could focus on was the little girl with her arms crossed around Jimin’s neck, holding on tightly.

          “Lee Yuri this is Jimin. And the little girl behind him…that’s Jenni.”