Seventh

Revelation

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Jenni stood and bowed to Yuri. Jimin didn’t even bother as he stood still next to Jenni staring at the woman he knew would take away Jenni from them.

            “How well mannered,” Yuri smiled brightly with a hint of pride in her eyes for the little girl who came from her womb. Jenni only smiled back shyly without saying anything further. The atmosphere was tense and awkward and it didn’t help that Hyorin kept fidgeting next to Yuri.

            Before anyone could say anything to break the silence, Seulong came in and called everyone into the dinning room for dinner. He too was nervous but being the man of the household didn’t allow him to show that side of him.

            The beginning of dinner was quiet with only little conversation about the food and the weather outside. But Yuri couldn’t put it off any longer,” so Jenni, do you know who I am?”

            At the sudden question everything became even quieter, if that were even possible. Everyone had their eyes on the now confused little girl who wasn’t sure how to answer. But of course Jenni knew that going with the truth was always the best way to go. If only the people around her thought that way too…

            “No, I’m sorry. I don’t remember,” she apologized quietly. Jenni wasn’t sure why but she felt guilt for not knowing who this lady was. “No it’s fine. You were just a baby when I last saw you so I don’t expect you to remember,” Yuri tried to comfort the little girl who’s guilt showed through her eyes.

            Then Seulong cut into their conversation and said the last thing anyone at the table expected him to say. “Jenni-ah, Yuri-shi is your auntie on your mother’s side,” he delivered the lie so smoothly that if Jimin didn’t know any better he would have believed his father.

            Both woman at the table stared with wide eyes at the man in front of them who lied like it was nothing. Of course the adults never really discussed how they would break the news to Jenni just yet but neither woman felt right about where this was headed. “Oh, really? It’s nice to meet you auntie,” Jenni smiled brightly at Yuri. “Yes it’s nice to see you again too sweetie,” Yuri smiled back just as bright.

Jimin who was watching cringed a little at the uncanny resemblance between them. He always thought that Jenni was pretty because she got it from their mother. But now that he knew that wasn’t the case he didn’t know what to think about her anymore.

            “May I be excused please?” Jimin asked with his head hung low. He couldn’t stand to be at the table anymore. Near his parents who continued to lie.

            Before Seulong could reply with a no, Hyorin beat him to it and told Jimin he may go up to his room. She was trying very hard to control all the feelings she was having right now. And one of them was anger toward her husband for making a lie and even bigger one. At this rate if Jenni found out the truth, she might never forgive them. Not to mention Jimin who knew the truth and again had to witness his parents lie. Hyorin knew her son was probably asking himself of what other things his parents could have probably lied to him about. And that was exactly what he was thinking on his way up to his room.

            After Jimin left, the dinner continued in the same manner it had started. But with forced laughs from all the adults who were trying to play it cool in front of Jenni.

            At the end Jenni began picking up plates to bring to Hyorin who was washing dishes. But as she started to collect them Hyorin stopped her and told her to keep her ‘aunt Yuri’ company while she cleaned up.

            Jenni obeyed and went to sit on the couch next to Yuri who was watching her intently. Unable to keep her eyes off of her. She’s grown so much…of course she has Yuri it’s been 10 years. She can’t stay a baby forever. Yuri thought to herself, feeling sad and ashamed she had missed out on so much time in her daughters life.

            “So Jen-jen what do you like to do?” Yuri tried to start a conversation with Jenni who was fiddling with her hands next to her. “Well I like to play with oppa and our friends next door,” Jenni replied in her quiet voice,” I’m also in cheerleading.”

            Yuri beamed at the last thing,” really? Do you like to dance?”

            “Not really but I wanted to cheer for oppa at his games so I auditioned.”

            “Ohh… Then what is it that you enjoy doing?”

            “I like looking at stars and reading about different places. I like taking pictures too.”

            “Oh well then it must be your dream to visit different places one day and take lots of pretty pictures hm?” The feeling of being awkward was now gone as Yuri and Jenni chatted with each other. Each asking questions they wanted to know about the other.

            “Me? Well I own a construction company that I run with my husband. That means we build houses for people to live in and buildings for people to work in,” Yuri answered Jenni’s question on what she does. “Auntie why isn’t uncle here with you?” It was an innocent question that Yuri did not want to answer. “Oh… well dear uncles very busy over seas in America right now so he couldn’t come with me.”

            At the mention of America, Jenni’s ears perked up. America was one of the places on her list to visit someday. “Have you been there auntie?” Jenni couldn’t contain her curiosity anymore. “Of course. In fact, me and your uncle have a house over there and in Europe just for us,” Yuri could tell what she said intrigued the little girl,” There are so many beautiful sights to see there it would take a lifetime to get to all the places.”

            Jenni was lost in thought imaging all the places she had read and seen pictures of. “Would you like to visit them with auntie someday?” Yuri asked in a light tone, but her question was serious. If Jenni said yes then she wouldn’t hesitate to book the next flight to wherever she pleased.

            “Yes I’d love too,” Jenni replied with excitement before hesitating,” but what about my family?” Yuri’s heart dropped at her question. It made her realize that no matter what she did, no matter how much effort she put into pleasing Jenni, the little girl would never forget about the people who raised her. But that didn’t mean Yuri was going to stop trying.

            “No matter where you go in the world, as long as you hold their memory in your heart they will always be with you,” was the best reply Yuri could come up with. “Plus its not like you’ll never seen them again,” Yuri reassured her.

            Jenni bought what she said and grinned happily, “could I really come with you to those places auntie?”

            “Of course you can sweetie. You’re always welcome with me.”

            Unknown to them, around the corner Hyorin stood and listened to their whole conversation. Tear after tear sliding down her cheeks as she tried to fight back her sobs. It was only the beginning and she had already shed so many tears and things were far from getting easier… How would she cope later?